How Serious Is The Crime In Chicago

Originally Posted by jimmybeanz

Originally Posted by bittersweet

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

fried of mine used to live in what I think is LakeView area. That place was great.
Pretty much.

I outlined what I believed to be the "bad" areas.

qsoxog.gif
It's interesting that you circled Hyde Park.  B4 I moved here, I'd heard all this great stuff about it.  Then I moved here and found out it's deep in the hood. 
Hyde Park isn't bad at all. Its just literally right in the middle of the hood. Woodlawn is bad. Somebody got shot the street over from me just yesterday. Its an everyday thing now. Somebody got killed over in West Pullman last week. Shot in the neck.
tired.gif

Its funny how my knowledge of Chicago pretty much stops anywhere north or west of Depaul. Lived here all my life. Its like 2 different cities.

fried of mine used to live in what I think is LakeView area. That place was great.
Pretty much.

qsoxog.gif
It's interesting that you circled Hyde Park.  B4 I moved here, I'd heard all this great stuff about it.  Then I moved here and found out it's deep in the hood. 
Hyde Park isn't bad at all. Its just literally right in the middle of the hood. Woodlawn is bad. Somebody got shot the street over from me just yesterday. Its an everyday thing now. Somebody got killed over in West Pullman last week. Shot in the neck.
tired.gif

Its funny how my knowledge of Chicago pretty much stops anywhere north or west of Depaul. Lived here all my life. Its like 2 different cities.

Pretty much.

qsoxog.gif
tired.gif

Pretty much.

qsoxog.gif
tired.gif

Originally Posted by kicksfiend

I plan on moving to Chicago for a year. Now I'm originally from Jamaica, Queens so I don't mind living in the hood but at the same time I need to be close the Loop (not sure what that areas called) because I'll be there for business. Anyone know a good area that's in between? I don't want to drop Manhattan rent if I'm going to be working all the time and not enjoying the place.
Loop = Downtown.  Rent here won't be anywhere near Manhattan.  Where you stay depends on what you really want, but there are lots of nice areas within a 20 min or less el/bus ride.  Take a look at Lincoln Park, Bucktown, Wrigleyville, River North, West loop. 
Originally Posted by CasperJr

didnt know it was this many nt'er in the chi

chi NT summit on the south side
nerd.gif
Why don't we stay away from the south side
laugh.gif

Also, Hyde Park isn't bad itself- more of its surroundings.  I think the Obama's lived there before he became President.

Originally Posted by kicksfiend

I plan on moving to Chicago for a year. Now I'm originally from Jamaica, Queens so I don't mind living in the hood but at the same time I need to be close the Loop (not sure what that areas called) because I'll be there for business. Anyone know a good area that's in between? I don't want to drop Manhattan rent if I'm going to be working all the time and not enjoying the place.
Loop = Downtown.  Rent here won't be anywhere near Manhattan.  Where you stay depends on what you really want, but there are lots of nice areas within a 20 min or less el/bus ride.  Take a look at Lincoln Park, Bucktown, Wrigleyville, River North, West loop. 

nerd.gif
Why don't we stay away from the south side
laugh.gif

Also, Hyde Park isn't bad itself- more of its surroundings.  I think the Obama's lived there before he became President.

Pretty much.

qsoxog.gif
Nah...

I don't know how to be all fancy and draw like that but... you're missing about a dozen or so communities that are extremely hood (Grand Boulevard, Woodlawn, Lawndale, Little Village, Greater Grand Crossing, Gresham, Back of the Yards, etc.) and another half dozen that ain't that pretty (Oakland, Pilsen, Marquette Park, etc.)

Also, Hyde Park belongs nowhere in the discussion of "hood"
laugh.gif
....although it is surrounded by the hood, the University of Chicago Police Department is the second-largest private police force on the planet... next to the Vatican.
Originally Posted by Steve212

Man, it's not the Chicago.  It's the knuckleheads that live in Chicago.  How do you shoot at a cop all regular like it's going to the mailbox? 
smh.gif

Put white people or decent minorities in those slum areas, and watch it turn around for the better.  It's similar to Harlem, where they pretty much forced the majortity of dope dealers in to early retirement when gentrification came about, and when that happenend, the white people came and now it's better.
eek.gif
You just solved urban crime and poverty in three sentences!

eyes.gif

nerd.gif
I'm wit it.

Pretty much.

qsoxog.gif
Nah...

I don't know how to be all fancy and draw like that but... you're missing about a dozen or so communities that are extremely hood (Grand Boulevard, Woodlawn, Lawndale, Little Village, Greater Grand Crossing, Gresham, Back of the Yards, etc.) and another half dozen that ain't that pretty (Oakland, Pilsen, Marquette Park, etc.)

laugh.gif
....although it is surrounded by the hood, the University of Chicago Police Department is the second-largest private police force on the planet... next to the Vatican.

Man, it's not the Chicago.  It's the knuckleheads that live in Chicago.  How do you shoot at a cop all regular like it's going to the mailbox? 
smh.gif

Put white people or decent minorities in those slum areas, and watch it turn around for the better.  It's similar to Harlem, where they pretty much forced the majortity of dope dealers in to early retirement when gentrification came about, and when that happenend, the white people came and now it's better.
eek.gif

eyes.gif

nerd.gif
I'm wit it.

I remember my cousin went to visit a friend in Harvey, got her car broken into and EVERYTHING stolen out of it

I remember my cousin went to visit a friend in Harvey, got her car broken into and EVERYTHING stolen out of it

Originally Posted by red mpls

Pretty much.

qsoxog.gif
Nah...

laugh.gif

smh.gif

eek.gif

eyes.gif

nerd.gif
I'm wit it.

This man speaks the truth.  I work in a community center with a youth program in Little Village and have lived in the Gage Park/Brighton Park neighborhood my whole life.  Little Village is ugly, and my neighborhood isn't so pretty either.

But as has been mentioned before, it's all about appearance and how you present yourself.  These kids shoot first and ask questions later so don't look the part if you're "not about that life."  I've never had any problems in my life (knock on wood).

And also, as has been mentioned, crime and violence has seemed to have worsened because these kids are as reckless as ever, but in reality, it's a problem that plagues all major cities, and the problem has possibly not increased much at all but rather has been magnified by increased news coverage.  Here is an interesting article about how more Chicagoans perceive crime as being up when that might not necessarily be the case:

Experts agree that these high-profile homicides, coupled with a bad economy and a steady stream of news about shootings, have fed a public perception that crime in Chicago is getting worse. The Market Shares Corp. poll — which has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points — found that only 30 percent of Chicagoans feel their neighborhoods are safe.
Homicides are up less than 1 percent in Chicago compared with last year, according to unofficial crime statistics through Tuesday. There were 245 homicides between January and July 20, two more than the same period last year.

Overall crime, including violent crimes such as criminal sexual assault and robbery, are down, according to official crime statistics through the end of June. For instance, shootings are down slightly compared with January through June of last year. The facts, however, have done little to prevent perception from becoming reality for people in all parts of the city.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-crime-poll-20100720,0,397603.story?page=1

Originally Posted by red mpls

Pretty much.

qsoxog.gif
Nah...

laugh.gif

smh.gif

eek.gif

eyes.gif

nerd.gif
I'm wit it.

This man speaks the truth.  I work in a community center with a youth program in Little Village and have lived in the Gage Park/Brighton Park neighborhood my whole life.  Little Village is ugly, and my neighborhood isn't so pretty either.

But as has been mentioned before, it's all about appearance and how you present yourself.  These kids shoot first and ask questions later so don't look the part if you're "not about that life."  I've never had any problems in my life (knock on wood).

And also, as has been mentioned, crime and violence has seemed to have worsened because these kids are as reckless as ever, but in reality, it's a problem that plagues all major cities, and the problem has possibly not increased much at all but rather has been magnified by increased news coverage.  Here is an interesting article about how more Chicagoans perceive crime as being up when that might not necessarily be the case:

Experts agree that these high-profile homicides, coupled with a bad economy and a steady stream of news about shootings, have fed a public perception that crime in Chicago is getting worse. The Market Shares Corp. poll — which has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points — found that only 30 percent of Chicagoans feel their neighborhoods are safe.
Homicides are up less than 1 percent in Chicago compared with last year, according to unofficial crime statistics through Tuesday. There were 245 homicides between January and July 20, two more than the same period last year.

Overall crime, including violent crimes such as criminal sexual assault and robbery, are down, according to official crime statistics through the end of June. For instance, shootings are down slightly compared with January through June of last year. The facts, however, have done little to prevent perception from becoming reality for people in all parts of the city.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-crime-poll-20100720,0,397603.story?page=1

Originally Posted by JordanHead21

he prbly looked "sweet" so someone got em

Originally Posted by JordanHead21

he prbly looked "sweet" so someone got em

Tears came pouring out my eyes when I had heard this a few minutes ago.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]1 child dead, 1 injured in South Side shooting[/h1]
Updated at 10:13 PM today

7603872_448x252.jpg

Tags:
local, karen jordan

Karen Jordan
More: Bio, News Team

August 10, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police say two girls shot on the South Side Tuesday night may have been hit by stray bullets.

The victims, ages 7 and 9, were shot in the Roselandneighborhood near Indiana Avenue and 107th street about eight o'clock.The family of the 9-year-old told ABC7 she died at the hospital Tuesdaynight. The other child suffered a graze wound.

Many residentswere still outside Tuesday night trying to piece together exactly whathappened. Some neighbors said that an argument that started with agroup of people at 107th and Indiana escalated to gunfire.

The family reacted to the tragedy Tuesday night.

"She was a nice kid, an innocent kid," said Larry Harris, grandfather of the deceased girl.

"Wetalk about wars in other places. What about here? It is a war inChicago ever since I been here and I'm 75 years old. What is theproblem?" said Theodore Willis, great-grandfather.

Police were still investigating the scene late Tuesday night.

(Copyright [emoji]169[/emoji]2010 WLS-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Just sad. I live in Chicago, btw.

Tears came pouring out my eyes when I had heard this a few minutes ago.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]1 child dead, 1 injured in South Side shooting[/h1]
Updated at 10:13 PM today

7603872_448x252.jpg

Tags:
local, karen jordan

Karen Jordan
More: Bio, News Team

August 10, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police say two girls shot on the South Side Tuesday night may have been hit by stray bullets.

The victims, ages 7 and 9, were shot in the Roselandneighborhood near Indiana Avenue and 107th street about eight o'clock.The family of the 9-year-old told ABC7 she died at the hospital Tuesdaynight. The other child suffered a graze wound.

Many residentswere still outside Tuesday night trying to piece together exactly whathappened. Some neighbors said that an argument that started with agroup of people at 107th and Indiana escalated to gunfire.

The family reacted to the tragedy Tuesday night.

"She was a nice kid, an innocent kid," said Larry Harris, grandfather of the deceased girl.

"Wetalk about wars in other places. What about here? It is a war inChicago ever since I been here and I'm 75 years old. What is theproblem?" said Theodore Willis, great-grandfather.

Police were still investigating the scene late Tuesday night.

(Copyright [emoji]169[/emoji]2010 WLS-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Just sad. I live in Chicago, btw.

Time out do I had to video Hyde park %%%# is sweeter then getting that raw {(')}

It's a Lil rough around the edges but no where near a hood

Back
Top Bottom