Feb 6 - School apologizes for black history lunch menu vol. Annual Black History Month Faux Pas

Here's my question, what's the negative connotation here? Ok stereotype, blah blah blah...... So no tacos for Hispanic month? No rice for Asian month? I'm really just curious.

Last edited:
It's the same **** over and over. People say and do racist **** and then play dumb and say things like "How is that racist?" And then make comparisons that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. And for the Irish American guy above, my wife is not Irish-American she's Native Irish. The way they celebrate St. Patricks there is totally different. Her friends and family can concur, the way America celebrates it is kind of a mockery.

Whatever, it's beating a dead horse. People are still gonna continue to be racist and then get all upset when you call them on it.

What's wrong I love that menu. People to sensitive these days.
black kids were prolly complainin but they kno DAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMN WELL, they was lovin them some chicken n cornbread.

aint nothin wrong wit some chicken n cornbread.

sheeeiit, wish i had me some chicken n cornbread right NAH!
lmfaooo at "Right NAH!"

But everything I quoted is true.

The watermelon was kinda outta pocket lol, but ain't nothing wrong with chicken and cornbread lol.

The fake outraged negro in 2014 lol.

Here's my question, what's the negative connotation here? Ok stereotype, blah blah blah...... So no tacos for Hispanic month? No rice for Asian month? I'm really just curious.

No because tacos are primarily a Mexican food and Mexicans don't consider themselves Hispanic. There's Cinco de Mayo, which is more celebrated in the US anyway and it's also just a chance for people to put on Sombreros and get half price Margaritas. You guys really just type out whatever dumb **** is swimming around your heads huh?

It's the same **** over and over. People say and do racist **** and then play dumb and say things like "How is that racist?" And then make comparisons that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. And for the Irish American guy above, my wife is not Irish-American she's Native Irish. The way they celebrate St. Patricks there is totally different. Her friends and family can concur, the way America celebrates it is kind of a mockery.

Whatever, it's beating a dead horse. People are still gonna continue to be racist and then get all upset when you call them on it.
thats the thing about america though

american mexican food is a mockery

american chinese food is a mockery

american italian food is a mockery

american japanese food is a mockery

if you're not from america you have to accept that everything in the country is americanized and not get offended by it

east bay cali.

typical of those east bay bay area folks.

the worse part of the bay

Last edited:
That's not what I'm talking about. Nobody's talking about banning ethnic foods or abolishing fried chicken. I'm talking about taking something that has been historically used with a tone of mockery and serving it specifically in honor of Black History month. Nobody's gonna give a **** if you serve some fried chicken cause it's fried chicken day every Tuesday. It's not the food that's racist it's serving something like that and saying its in honor of when it's the exact opposite. I just think a lot of people are missing the point.

That's not what I'm talking about. Nobody's talking about banning ethnic foods or abolishing fried chicken. I'm talking about taking something that has been historically used with a tone of mockery and serving it specifically in honor of Black History month. Nobody's gonna give a **** if you serve some fried chicken cause it's fried chicken day every Tuesday. It's not the food that's racist it's serving something like that and saying its in honor of when it's the exact opposite. I just think a lot of people are missing the point.
i was talking about the irish thing, the fried chicken thing is offensive because there is a negative connotation towards black people and fried chicken/watermelon for some reason

A lot of people tend to think the Bay Area is the magical place full of diversity and inclusion and progressive views. It's not. This is typical from that side of the hill.

Last edited:
A lot of people tend to think the Bay Area is the magical place full of diversity and inclusion and progressive views. It's not. This is typical from that side of the hill.

Totally agree, growing up here I thought the same. Going to college here changed that mindset completely. We got a long ways to go

Yea I am kinda with you here.

Question, IF they "tactfully" made a choice here, what food should they have served?

Yea I am kinda with you here.

Question, IF they "tactfully" made a choice here, what food should they have served?

Chicken, cornbread, and greens/macaroni/yams. Anything besides watermelon would have been fine really.

Who ever put that lunch menu together was most definitely trying to rustle jimmies. Like I posted earlier in this thread nobody eats watermelon and fried chicken together.

As many holidays, family get-togethers/family reunions I have been to watermelon has never been served as a side with fried chicken.

Chicken, cornbread, and greens/macaroni/yams. Anything besides watermelon would have been fine really.

Who ever put that lunch menu together was most definitely trying to rustle jimmies. Like I posted earlier in this thread nobody eats watermelon and fried chicken together.

As many holidays, family get-togethers/family reunions I have been to watermelon has never been served as a side with fried chicken.
roll.gif
and?

Ok so watermelon is what set people over the edge? Cool. I see the point here but I don't understand what they could have served other than Southern Slave food.

Ok so watermelon is what set people over the edge? Cool. I see the point here but I don't understand what they could have served other than Southern Slave food.
thats my thing. call it "down south home cooking day" and everything is ok. maybe in just thinking too logically, or with enough reaching everything is racist
eyes.gif

The more I think about it, I think it is the watermelon that put it over the top

:rofl: and?

:stoneface:

Last edited:
Yea..dats like serving fortune cookies during asian history day.
or making potato pancakes on hanukkah ? when i was in school we did that. nobody said that was racist.

look, im not saying this was a bright move or their part with todays soft society, but to feel like this was dishonored a whole race? thats pushing it. like other guys said, if they did with the sole purpose of angering people, then yeah, shame on them, but if the intentions werent bad, then this isnt a big deal

https://m.soundcloud.com/muntant/******-love-a-watermelon-harry

The song you hear every hot day when the ice cream truck is in the neighborhood smh White ppl love to throw rocks and then hide their hands. This is blatantly offensive, only thing that would have made it worse is them serving a 40 ounce on the side.

Why even serve food to pay homage? Why not teach the students about ACTUAL black history instead of a struggle meal?

Back
Top Bottom