Feb 6 - School apologizes for black history lunch menu vol. Annual Black History Month Faux Pas

Ok so watermelon is what set people over the edge? Cool. I see the point here but I don't understand what they could have served other than Southern Slave food.
I already answered  this but my original post got deleted because of ol' dude that put up that pic of the white dudes picking cotton. They could have chosen food from the continent of Africa or from the Caribbean. If they wanted to keep it domestic they could have done a quick generic search of "soul food recipes" and pulled a giant list of dishes such as but most certainly not limited to Oxtails with Gravy, Authentic Louisiana Red Beans and Rice, Down-Home Black-Eyed Peas, Kentucky Biscuits, Fried Okra, or Old Charleston Style Shrimp and Grits. Instead, they did they obvious chicken and watermelon. Black History month isn't about just African Americans but all Africans. That's why people like Marcus Garvey, a native of Jamaica, and people like Shaka Zulu, whose empire is located in present day South Africa, are mentioned.

Ok so watermelon is what set people over the edge? Cool. I see the point here but I don't understand what they could have served other than Southern Slave food.
I already answered  this but my original post got deleted because of ol' dude that put up that pic of the white dudes picking cotton. They could have chosen food from the continent of Africa or from the Caribbean. If they wanted to keep it domestic they could have done a quick generic search of "soul food recipes" and pulled a giant list of dishes such as but most certainly not limited to Oxtails with Gravy, Authentic Louisiana Red Beans and Rice, Down-Home Black-Eyed Peas, Kentucky Biscuits, Fried Okra, or Old Charleston Style Shrimp and Grits. Instead, they did they obvious chicken and watermelon. Black History month isn't about just African Americans but all Africans. That's why people like Marcus Garvey, a native of Jamaica, and people like Shaka Zulu, whose empire is located in present day South Africa, are mentioned.
this is lunch at a school lunch though, they're not going to attempt to figure out how to make these authentic soul food recipes. even if they did very few people are going to be buying a oxtail lunch over fried chicken, there is no point for them to put in extra effort to make a food most people wont want to try. its like how if they were to do something for chinese new years they would just make orange chicken or something even though thats an american dish.

https://m.soundcloud.com/muntant/******-love-a-watermelon-harry

The song you hear every hot day when the ice cream truck is in the neighborhood smh White ppl love to throw rocks and then hide their hands. This is blatantly offensive, only thing that would have made it worse is them serving a 40 ounce on the side.

Why even serve food to pay homage? Why not teach the students about ACTUAL black history instead of a struggle meal?

This. Especially the last part. It ain't THAT big of deal to me but it's obvious what they were trying to do. Anybody that can't see it is either playing dumb or don't get it.

Last edited:
This. Especially the last part. It ain't THAT big of deal to me but it's obvious what they were trying to do. Anybody that can't see it is either playing dumb or don't get it.

So for those of us that don't get it, what were they trying to do?

They served a stereotypical meal often associated with the black community. What is the negative intent with that? The watermelon may have been a bit ignorant, but I fail to see the negative intent. Since it's so obvious to you though, please explain. Srs.

so just because there's thanksgiving native americans dont get to be in stereotypical cultural food week?

asians have chinese new year but they still get in!
Exactly.  My list, my rules.

BTW I said Asian, show some respect to the rest of the orientals.

Do people not know the word "oriental" is offensive?
laugh.gif
Wasn't that the point of coming up with race in the first place?

yeah i know

point is there will always be people that get offended 
Thats because its racist.  

yeah i know

point is there will always be people that get offended 
Thats because its racist.  
as in if you are doing something racist towards a bunch of groups of people, the group that was left out would be offended

if they put lots of time and effort into researching and creating authentic soul food dishes there would be people that find it offensive because not all black people eat soul food, if they do nothing there will be some people that find it offensive because they are not paying homage to black history

yeah the watermelon was a bit over the top but no matter what they did there will always be someone that finds it offensive 

it's school lunch, dudes in here want them to cook authentic food? 
laugh.gif

Schools aint got money for that

Back
Top Bottom