Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Got the Givenchy Gentlemen Only cologne today,I highly recommend it to all my DB bros looking for a new scent...Very light scent but amazing,already received a few compliments..Unfortunately I got it from Sephora and missed out on the GQ freebies from Macy's...

I understand where you are coming from and I do agree that it could have been better said. I'm education as well and unfortunately education is a field that unfortunately promotes dressing a little too comfortably. This isn't a knock on you but a knock on the professionalism that teachers show towards their profession, and I say that as a teacher. I've walked into schools with teachers literally in their Pajama bottoms. I find it irratating when teachers complain about their profession not being taken seriously, well part of it is dressing professionally so you can be taken seriously. At the end of the day do you, if that's shorts or jeans, great. My only advice is dress for the position you want, not the position you have.

Also, from all the suits you posted, the Khaki one is nice and summer appropriate but if you want something a little more versatile I'd go with the Blue Glen. I've seen them in person and the pattern isn't super in your face and the shade of gray is pretty nice. I would wear a light colored shirt (ex. white shirt) and a a solid tie with it. The price is GREAT as well.
We will agree to disagree because 1. I'm a damned good educator. and 2. I dont agree with your opinion because teaching comes from within not from your outward appearance.

My mentor who is my principal wears jeans and button-ups everyday to work. He only wears a suit when he's forced to. We have a great API and he does it with a casual look.

Kids could care less if I have on a suit to teach them...they're not dumb...they can sense if you're there to teach or not.

And, I've heard the cliche of "dress for the job you want"...well I am...TO BE MY OWN BOSS.

I'm 32 with 2 income properties and a JOB. I've been something right without a SUIT.

I do, however, thank you for your suggestions. I pulled the trigger on the khaki and now thinking of pulling it on the blue glen.

Style is so complicated.
It comes naturally if you just do you.
pimp.gif

RE: Facebook group. That's a good idea. I won't be very active on it since I stopped using FB regularly years ago. It's also very nice of everyone to help each other out. I would suggest that you only do this with members you're comfortably with to avoid any fishy business.

We will agree to disagree because 1. I'm a damned good educator. and 2. I dont agree with your opinion because teaching comes from within not from your outward appearance.

My mentor who is my principal wears jeans and button-ups everyday to work. He only wears a suit when he's forced to. We have a great API and he does it with a casual look.

Kids could care less if I have on a suit to teach them...they're not dumb...they can sense if you're there to teach or not.

And, I've heard the cliche of "dress for the job you want"...well I am...TO BE MY OWN BOSS.

I'm 32 with 2 income properties and a JOB. I've been something right without a SUIT.

I do, however, thank you for your suggestions. I pulled the trigger on the khaki and now thinking of pulling it on the blue glen.

One, I'm glad you went with the khaki one and if the order hasn't processed PM me as I think they texted me a promo code for $10 or $15 off $100. Second, you're right teaching does come from within and to an extent some students do not care about what you wear to work to teach them. I teach high school, specifically Seniors, and they notice. My wife and I were actually talking about this today, about how they notice when teachers don't put any effort into what they wear, to a lot of kids it shows them that the teacher really doesn't care about being there. Jeans and button ups are a HUGE upgrade to what MANY teachers wear. Jeans and button ups are in my opinion dressing better/well, I just choose to wear 3 or 4 days out of the week dress pants, with Wednesday and Friday in jeans. What I cant' stand is the sweatpants, PJs, 1990s t-shirts, sweatsuits, etc. that I see too many teachers wear.

I believe clothing can be used to your advantage when it comes to the profession we practice. I wear what I want because I choose to wear it and because I like it but also because I want to demonstrate to my students what it looks like to dress professionally. Whether it is dress pants and a button up or a suit, or mostly how you can dress professionally while still wearing jeans. It's funny actually as we hold "professional days" at my school and this is when a lot of students usually start discussing which teachers don't dress professionally and which do. In regards to your principal, I WISH my principal wore jeans at least 1-2 times a week. Frankly, it would bring him down a notch or two and would humanize him more to our students. I think the fact that he wears a suit everyday hurts him, as he comes off as really uptight, granted a huge part is his attitude, but on the rare occasion you see him without a tie or jacket, he is almost usually a lot more pleasant and down to earth.

As you mention API, I assume you're in CA? I teach in NYC and teaching in any environment is difficult. You're right that what someone wears doesn't define the quality of teacher that they are. I know how difficult our profession is and what an uphill battle it can be every single day. I know at my school we are constantly struggling with keeping high standards especially when we share a building with another high school that runs a complete s*** show.

just curious as to why you think that? not knocking it, just have heard different views concerning the educator's dress in the classroom.

im still a bit active at my old HS (alumni mentoring when i have time). ive talked pretty candidly to students and teachers and it seems (thats the operative word) that younger teachers that dress more casual, have an easier time connecting/relating with students and can get through in lessons and other aspects. the older educators that tend to wear business wear, are viewed as the old school stern/more authoritative types by the students (just saying thats how students ive talked to viewed them, they are still considered great teachers). i just find that dynamic interesting.

As I mentioned above, it all depends on what teachers define as casual. I'll give you an example, we share a school building with two middle schools and a high school and most teachers in the building are at the very least in jeans and a button up shirt, some in dress pants and button ups or suits, and a very small number in what it seems they wore to bed. It is those who dress to teach in what it seems they wore to bed that I have a huge problem with. I know some might say oh but that's rare, unfortunately it's not. The building I am, it's rare, but I've been to many schools were teachers are literally in sweatsuits, PJ bottoms, PJ tops, old t-shirts, it gives off an image of I don't care. Yes what one wears can help us relate to our students which is why I make it a point to "dress down" at least 2 days a week, but I still keep it professional, jeans, button up, dress shoes or sneakers, but I am able to relate to my students not simply because of what I wear but of my demeanor with them. I've developed a reputation for being the most blunt, honest and straightforward adult/teacher in the building. Students respect that much more than what you are wearing. In addition, I use my humor and personality to connect with my students.

Respect. I thought you were taking the stance on being casual.

I agree cause they're are teachers who do go to school in PJs. They're there for a paycheck and waiting for either retirement or another position.

Thank you for the input on the suit. I'll be going straight to the tailor when it arrives.

Gotta get my sexy on.

Most of my male high school teachers were in polo shirts/jeans/sneakers or black loafers, Mon-Fri. Even the older ones.

Last edited:
Respect. I thought you were taking the stance on being casual.

I agree cause they're are teachers who do go to school in PJs. They're there for a paycheck and waiting for either retirement or another position.

Thank you for the input on the suit. I'll be going straight to the tailor when it arrives.

Gotta get my sexy on.

No not at all man, I have no issue with casual, when done right. I invite you to look at my blog I think that they'll give you an idea of my idea of casual, which I think you would agree is still casual yet professional. It is those that re in PJs, sweatsuits, in I just rolled out of bed 5 minutes ago that don't care who give a bad name to those of us who do care. Man I still remember this teacher at this school in LA that I would go observe who wore this purple sweatsuit that she must have bought in the 1980s, with various t-shirts, we're talking these t-shirts that you know they probably gave away at some event, with whatever sneakers were at her disposal and she looked awful. And YES a lot of those were teachers there for the paycheck or waiting for retirement. I'm a big believer in teaching lessons outside of the classroom and a big one for me is demonstrating to students what dressing appropriately looks like...whether it's a suit or dress pants or how wearing jeans can look and be professional.

Today:

If anyone is wondering about the jeans, they're Naked & Famous Skinny Guy in Powder Black.

I don't really want to get involved but Tim is fam, and we try to keep this thread as positive as possible so please don't post things like that in here.

Frankly, I'm tired of having to justify why we/I dress the way we/I do. What may be foolishly overdressed to you or others, it's being dress appropriately for others as well. I don't mean that I wear a suit everyday but if I feel like wearing a suit tomorrow for no reason at all then so the **** what. Overdressed, fine. I rather be overdressed than underdressed any day.

I mean, really, a baseball uniform comparison? Come on now...funny though how you see baseball hats worn but they aren't playing baseball right. They wear it because they want too and can, same reason those who wear a suit do, because they want too and can.
If people are stressing you for over dressing then they must have no life.    Wear what feels comfortable to you.  Who cares what the next person thinks.  

interesting

description says "fully machine washable"

but on the inside on the pants... "dry clean only"
:lol: it's an age old question. The tags are made for all trousers and apply to the ones that are wool primary. I still dry clean them since I want to avoid any shrinkage no matter how little it may be.

As I mentioned above, it all depends on what teachers define as casual. I'll give you an example, we share a school building with two middle schools and a high school and most teachers in the building are at the very least in jeans and a button up shirt, some in dress pants and button ups or suits, and a very small number in what it seems they wore to bed. It is those who dress to teach in what it seems they wore to bed that I have a huge problem with. I know some might say oh but that's rare, unfortunately it's not. The building I am, it's rare, but I've been to many schools were teachers are literally in sweatsuits, PJ bottoms, PJ tops, old t-shirts, it gives off an image of I don't care. Yes what one wears can help us relate to our students which is why I make it a point to "dress down" at least 2 days a week, but I still keep it professional, jeans, button up, dress shoes or sneakers, but I am able to relate to my students not simply because of what I wear but of my demeanor with them. I've developed a reputation for being the most blunt, honest and straightforward adult/teacher in the building. Students respect that much more than what you are wearing. In addition, I use my humor and personality to connect with my students.
good stuff its always interesting hearing educator's perspectives on the issue.

i cringe whenever i see someone one in out in public in pajamas, like you couldnt take the time to at least throw on sweats?
sick.gif
  ...and if people are wearing that to work,  id question whether they want to be there as well.

Back
Top Bottom