Dressing Better Vol 2.0

If a person had a business related major / degree than I would expect them to have a suit for interviews.

Someone in a different field, I can understand. My friends who are male nurses or have degrees in health science get to dress down everyday or wear scrubs. Their first time buying suits were because they had to go a wedding or something formal.
Not clowning but I don't know how anyone can be out of school and not own at least one suit
I work in education. There isn't a dress code and I got in through the district intern program and with my experience I already had a school lined up with no interview needed.

I wear shorts and jeans with sneakers every day.

I graduated in 04 so at 24, with a job, there was never a need for me to buy a suit.
Nah, they deserve to be clowned.
Clown me all you want. I make pretty decent money and have never needed a suit in my life.

Last edited:
If a person had a business related major / degree than I would expect them to have a suit for interviews.

Someone in a different field, I can understand. My friends who are male nurses or have degrees in health science get to dress down everyday or wear scrubs. Their first time buying suits were because they had to go a wedding or something formal.
I work in education. There isn't a dress code and I got in through the district intern program and with my experience I already had a school lined up with no interview needed.

I wear shorts and jeans with sneakers every day.

I graduated in 04 so at 24, with a job, there was never a need for me to buy a suit.

You're an adult. That's the only reason you need.

as an adult you should own at least one suit, is just something that is fundamental like underwear to every mans wardrobe, unless you never in your life plan on attending a formal event.....which is silly...lol

in all reality why are some men so against the idea of dressing up in suit, I guarantee you if you put on a nicely tailored suit and look at yourself in the mirror you will be shocked at what difference it makes, its a really good feeling, not to mention the feedback others will give you, specially the women.....women love a man in a suit, thats a fact.

So all adults HAVE to own a suit ?
laugh.gif

Thats why it's hard to take you guys seriously in this thread.

Most of you were just like me last week, as soon as this thread was created everyone ran out and started "dressing better"

I'll enjoy my comfortable ADULT life without owning a suit till I need one which is for my wedding.
as an adult you should own at least one suit, is just something that is fundamental like underwear to every mans wardrobe, unless you never in your life plan on attending a formal event.....which is silly...lol

in all reality why are some men so against the idea of dressing up in suit, I guarantee you if you put on a nicely tailored suit and look at yourself in the mirror you will be shocked at what difference it makes, its a really good feeling, not to mention the feedback others will give you, specially the women.....women love a man in a suit, thats a fact.
Bro, you just started being all metrosexual last year. How you gonna judge someone else for not having a suit? 

Every formal event I've been to I've been a part of and rented tux's or suits to be properly dressed.

I wear chinos and a cardigan to graduations.

It's not that serious.

Yall can miss me with the elitist bs.

Last edited:
has anyone ever gotten a polo tailored? I shrunk almost all of my polos that i bought a bit too big in th day and they fit perfect now..except one.. and this one i wont be able to just re-buy because i know they wont ever make that color again, so i want to get it tailored if possible.. enlighten me brehs.
Yes. I've gotten a few Lacoste polos tapered on the sides and results were nice. I never wore them though because the shoulders were still huge :lol: they were my old stuff when I was fatter. I just wanted to experiment with the tailoring.

I think the group blog does a good job of showing a variety of styles.

I still think a suit is nice to own even if you don't need to wear it routinely. You may need it for a formal event or even just fancy outings. A well fitting suit is the best thing a man can wear. If you want to make less formal, go for more country materials like duck cotton and opt for patch pockets.

Yes. I've gotten a few Lacoste polos tapered on the sides and results were nice. I never wore them though because the shoulders were still huge
laugh.gif
they were my old stuff when I was fatter. I just wanted to experiment with the tailoring.

I still think a suit is nice to own even if you don't need to wear it routinely. You may need it for a formal event or even just fancy outings. A well fitting suit is the best thing a man can wear. If you want to make less formal, go for more country materials like duck cotton and opt for patch pockets.
I understand your point of view but come at me like a man, not a child...not saying you did cause you didnt but thats the very reason NT can't stand most of you. You have the master attention *****, ksteezy, vying for the attention of women when he's already married. Then the holier than thou, Tim, trying to berate someone for not having a suit? Bunch of lames IMO.

Anyway, back to why I came in here for....wj4 and others who are willing to help and not attack me for not having a suit...

DTLA has a place called suitfellas who sell suits. Would I be ok getting something from there and having it tailored or should I go to more reputable "higher" quality place for a suit?

Suit Supply suits are $500-600 without tailoring. BR and JCrew dont seem to cater to wide chests.

Last edited:
has anyone ever gotten a polo tailored? I shrunk almost all of my polos that i bought a bit too big in th day and they fit perfect now..except one.. and this one i wont be able to just re-buy because i know they wont ever make that color again, so i want to get it tailored if possible.. enlighten me brehs.
Yes. I've gotten a few Lacoste polos tapered on the sides and results were nice. I never wore them though because the shoulders were still huge :lol: they were my old stuff when I was fatter. I just wanted to experiment with the tailoring.

:myman:

This ones an RL and they are ridiculously inconsistent with their sizing.. it was supposed to be a M but i swear it was an XL.. I dont know why i didnt just return it(i ordered it online a few years ago). lol

I was able to shrink the ones that were one size too big in the dryer, but i dont think i can do it 2 sizes. Word to the baggy hip hop styled days!

Last edited:

I understand your point of view but come at me like a man, not a child...not saying you did cause you didnt but thats the very reason NT can't stand most of you. You have the master attention *****, ksteezy, vying for the attention of women when he's already married. Then the holier than thou, Tim, trying to berate someone for not having a suit? Bunch of lames IMO.

Anyway, back to why I came in here for....wj4 and others who are willing to help and not attack me for not having a suit...

DTLA has a place called suitfellas who sell suits. Would I be ok getting something from there and having it tailored or should I go to more reputable "higher" quality place for a suit?

Suit Supply suits are $500-600 without tailoring. BR and JCrew dont seem to cater to wide chests.

Fit over brand imo. This thread is great because you see guys posting great fitting suits from the likes of JC Penney and still looking great.

Fit over brand imo. This thread is great because you see guys posting great fitting suits from the likes of JC Penney and still looking great.
Thanks! Good to see a few helpful folks in this thread still.

Looks like a trip to the mall is due this weekend.

The first wedding she's in as a bridesmaid is in the summer in Long Beach..would it be ok to wear a suit tieless and with clark boots or should I stick to a more formal look?

Here are some quick options I found online

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/men/...boVal=slim|&currentDim=Fit&currentDimVal=slim

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/suit...boVal=slim|&currentDim=Fit&currentDimVal=slim

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/gift...boVal=slim|&currentDim=Fit&currentDimVal=slim

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/staf...boVal=slim|&currentDim=Fit&currentDimVal=slim

Last edited:
If you're a skinnier guy you can try Thick as Thieves. All of my suits are from Jason. He's local to LA too so he can measure clients in person.

I wouldn't pay retail for suits from BR or J. Crew though.

:myman:

This ones an RL and they are ridiculously inconsistent with their sizing.. it was supposed to be a M but i swear it was an XL.. I dont know why i didnt just return it(i ordered it online a few years ago). lol

I was able to shrink the ones that were one size too big in the dryer, but i dont think i can do it 2 sizes. Word to the baggy hip hop styled days!
As long as the shoulders and arms are good you can tailor the width and shorten the length :smile:

I wear a suit to the club, no tie, ishhh looks fly and honestly unless the club is a sweat box I dot see how hot it can actually get, either that or you go in there gunning for dancehall championship..

I agree with everything in Steezy's two posts.

So all adults HAVE to own a suit ?:lol:

Thats why it's hard to take you guys seriously in this thread.

Most of you were just like me last week, as soon as this thread was created everyone ran out and started "dressing better"

I'll enjoy my comfortable ADULT life without owning a suit till I need one which is for my wedding.

Bro, you just started being all metrosexual last year. How you gonna judge someone else for not having a suit? 

Every formal event I've been to I've been a part of and rented tux's or suits to be properly dressed.

I wear chinos and a cardigan to graduations.

It's not that serious.

Yall can miss me with the elitist bs.

No need to fire shots and throw insults. They have an opinion just like you. Said opinions just happen to be different. Ultimately those varying perspectives are what makes this thread so diverse and allow each of us to learn. Play nice, guys.

I mean I can see where you guys think people in professional jobs need suits. However I do feel slightly offended when you say "all adults need a suit" because my dad works full time and also attends formal events but he does not own a suit. He has gotten along perfectly fine in life and has honestly never needed a suit. I understand that things are different in different areas and where I'm located (NW Ohio) formal events are typically seen with men in just dress shirts/ties/trousers, some men wear suits but it's pretty evenly split. So if you want to clown my father, by all means, go for it; but it has not stopped his success nor is he looked down upon for not wearing a suit ever.

I know plenty of adults who don't have suits. Some people live in a world where they'll never have to wear more than a blazer or sports shirt.
That's not true. They choose not to wear suits. I can invite you to my wedding where it would be appropriate to wear a suit. But if you choose not to wear it that's cool. Its disrespectful, because you know everyone is will be wearing one. But hey, you have a choice.

I know plenty of adults who don't have suits. Some people live in a world where they'll never have to wear more than a blazer or sports shirt.
That's not true. They choose not to wear suits. I can invite you to my wedding where it would be appropriate to wear a suit. But if you choose not to wear it that's cool. Its disrespectful, because you know everyone is will be wearing one. But hey, you have a choice.

I agree with you that they choose not to wear suit. The thing that people who are on the "Everyone should own a suit" side of the argument fail to realize is that not everyone in the world thinks like people in this thread or even generally care THAT much about their appearance. A lot of people get invited to events and attend without even giving a second thought about how they'll look. Not everyone is as sartorially knowledgable as us so they don't understand the purpose of owning several or even one suit. You can't explain blue to someone that was born blind.

Hey guys, I wanted to try this out and see where it goes. I've been talking to NCTwin via PM and we thought this might be a good idea. Please check out the NEW FACEBOOK NT DB Group!

So here is the deal. I will add people so we can get to know each other, post deals, share discounts, buy and ship items for each other, etc. You must be a regular and not have your own agenda. All we ask is trust.

If it works, it works...If not we move on. This is not to take the place of this thread, but to enhance the relationships etc.

Just search NIKETALK DB Group on Facebook and Message me your NT Name. :smokin

Last edited:
I agree with everything in Steezy's two posts.
No need to fire shots and throw insults. They have an opinion just like you. Said opinions just happen to be different. Ultimately those varying perspectives are what makes this thread so diverse and allow each of us to learn. Play nice, guys.
You're biased. You're clearly taking their stance.

Again, don't try and berate me or lecture me about me not being an "adult" cause I dont own a suit.

I came in here asking for help, not to be attacked my elitists who push their 'opinions' as facts onto people.
I mean I can see where you guys think people in professional jobs need suits. However I do feel slightly offended when you say "all adults need a suit" because my dad works full time and also attends formal events but he does not own a suit. He has gotten along perfectly fine in life and has honestly never needed a suit. I understand that things are different in different areas and where I'm located (NW Ohio) formal events are typically seen with men in just dress shirts/ties/trousers, some men wear suits but it's pretty evenly split. So if you want to clown my father, by all means, go for it; but it has not stopped his success nor is he looked down upon for not wearing a suit ever.
I own property and rent to college students. I meet tenants, their parents and my personal banker casually dressed and not once have they looked down on me. I come off as "adult" in my speech and business model so like you said it SUITS ARE NOT MANDATORY to be considered ADULT.
What if you get married on the beach? What if you get married in the HOT Caribbean?
Typical douche response. Aren't you suppose to be an "ADULT"

Great idea man :pimp:

Adrian, Wis and I are actually already friends on facebook but getting to know the rest if you just alittle more sounds awesome!

Hey guys, I wanted to try this out and see where it goes. I've been talking to NCTwin via PM and we thought this might be a good idea. Please check out the NEW FACEBOOK NT DB Group!

So here is the deal. I will add people so we can get to know each other, post deals, share discounts, buy and ship items for each other, etc. You must be a regular and not have your own agenda. All we ask is trust.

If it works, it works...If not we move on. This is not to take the place of this thread, but to enhance the relationships etc.

Can't find....link :nerd:

This man went and actually did it!! :smile:

TRUST is definitely the main issue here. We've had our fair share of drama because people were taking advantage of other people's kindness. Maybe this will help us to sort some of the mess out. We can still help here for sure, but maybe if folks want to lend extra(discounts from their job, freebies, etc.), we can throw that stuff on FB so that the well doesn't run dry before the folks that really want it get a chance.

I agree with you that they choose not to wear suit. The thing that people who are on the "Everyone should own a suit" side of the argument fail to realize is that not everyone in the world thinks like people in this thread or even generally care THAT much about their appearance. A lot of people get invited to events and attend without even giving a second thought about how they'll look. Not everyone is as sartorially knowledgable as us so they don't understand the purpose of owning several or even one suit. You can't explain blue to someone that was born blind.
The amount of elitist, arrogance in this thread, on NT, a shoe forum, is comical.

THERE IS NO PURPOSE FOR A SUIT UNLESS IT'S ASSIGNED A PURPOSE.

This is the year 2013. The majority of firms throughout the U.S. have adapted 'business casual' because it's impractical to be in a suit for 8 plus hours a day.

Back
Top Bottom