Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Just to help you out, I would definitely get v necks over wife beaters just because you can wear them casually without an undershirt and still look good.
You can find some pretty nice ties at places like Macy's, J Crew and the other obvious places. Macy's has a great brand called Alfani, several of my ties are from that designer and they are wonderful quality.
Macys also has some good shirts from Alfani, and you can never go wrong with a pair of khakis or chinos from GAP.

iight good look Alfani i'll def check them out and im going to rule out the wife beaters. What style of belt should i be rocking in any?

Some recent thrift store purchases. $13 each for like-new Allen Edmonds Loafers. $11 canvas/leather bag. Also came across this old leather bomber for $25. It has a tear in the sheep-skin lining, going to have to mend that before I put it to use. Otherwise awesome jacket, though. Been getting pretty lucky in my thrift hunts, I suppose i'm due for a dry spell soon

Some recent thrift store purchases. $13 each for like-new Allen Edmonds Loafers. $11 canvas/leather bag. Also came across this old leather bomber for $25. It has a tear in the sheep-skin lining, going to have to mend that before I put it to use. Otherwise awesome jacket, though. Been getting pretty lucky in my thrift hunts, I suppose i'm due for a dry spell soon

what thirft store was this?

Last edited:
If you can afford to, why not set aside 1300$ as a budget to completely revamp your wardrobe?

Express has a buy 1 get 1 half off on their 1mx selections, stay away from the gaudy loud colors, keep it toned down, whites are important, go to Jcrew invest in at least two pairs of ludlow pants, you won't regret this, you can purchase the matching jackets later....get Navy and Charcoal to start off, that will run you about 700$ say six shirts 2 pants, invest in some Cole Haans, you can get a vet decent pair for 200$ get a dark brown pair and a black pair, that's about 1100$ then get a couple of ties off the Jcrew Factory online, you can get them for like 15$ each, a reversible belt from express and take the pants to get nicely tailored to your specs and you can rotate these clothes for a while, these can be your foundation, if all your shirts fit you like the above posted, is time to donate those bro....a mistake big guys make is buying clothes that for them big....like you are already big, don't give off te illusion to look bigger than you are, guaranteed you get your pants and shirt to fit you right, you'll look 25lbs lighter.

iight good look Alfani i'll def check them out and im going to rule out the wife beaters. What style of belt should i be rocking in any?

Get a reversible flat bucked belt from Express, I've had the same belt fr like 3 years and I only paid 30$ and one side is black and the other brown.

From Banana Republic:

stopped by at lunch today
tumblr_ma7c4xMN4G1rux7jzo1_500.jpg

I like their elbow patch sweaters.

appreciate the advice but where to start? I am working for a very image savy company and want to dress better!! right now i just get slacks that fit and 20 dollar dress shirts tha come with the tie and dress shoes from jc penny's

So I was in the same predicament you are in about a year back, and honestly everything everyone has said so far, is really really great advice. Like ksteezy mentioned, check my post on thestyleblogger; just click herehttp://www.thestyleblogger.com/1245...ps-for-heavier-guys-featuring-sergio-arteaga/. and look at the looks I'm wearing. Yes that is me and that is all my own clothing.

Like many have stated, it is all about fit. Just looking at the pictures you posted, I am assuming your shirts are about 1-2 sizes too big. Notice that in none of the looks I have on, the shirts are overly loose but neither are overly tight. Your shirts just be roomy enough to move but nothing too small that you feel you're going to pop a seam. Your pants are way too big for you. Get your pants hemmed and tapered as it was already suggested. It's not about trying to make yourself look smaller, it's about making yourself look the size you are. Not to mention my feature, but notice my dress pants tend to not be overly roomy in the leg and don't have puddling of fabric because of them being too long.

If you're on a budget checkout my blog as well. Honestly, depending on your neck size, you may be able to find pretty nice shirts at places like Marshall's, TJ Maxx or Ross (if you have one nearby), for $10-15. I'd even say try Target's Medona dress shirts, I personally have 2 of their shirts and I really like them, granted I had to get them taken in due to dropping some weight. Your undershirts, go v-neck when not wearing a tie, not going to lie I wear crewnecks here and there but usually it's when I'm wearing a tie since the shirt wont show.

ok so the list so far:
shoes? what makes and styles should i look for? also where to buy them?
keep practicing on my tie game! good look eiddyfouw and also get better quality ties
either buy v necks or wife beaters for undershirts
hit up express for shirts, and j crew for some chino's.... good places to cop dress slacks?
I appreciate all the help NT fam

First keep it simple, start by not wearing any squared toe dress shoes, lace up or loafer. Squared toe dress shoes only make your feet look wider and therefore only adding width to your frame. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg either for some nice simple dress shoes. My suggestion is next time you go to JCPenney to check these out, they also come in black I believe. For $60 each it's a great investment and will make your outfits look even better. You want a shoe that matches the natural shape of your foot, not one that makes them look square.

I hope this helps and please don't hesitate to ask more questions or PM any of us.

I know is simpler for someone to dress slim if they have a slim frame, but if you have a larger frame you can still pull off everything I wear, just in a bigger size...as long as clothes are your actual size it will look good...you just have to give yourself time to begin appreciating your new wardrobe, I believe the "style blogger" did a post on our very Sarteaga, did you get a chance to read through it?...very informative for the bigger guys.
Wj4 - I say 50$ minimum...

Thanks for the shout-out ksteezy!

I'm reading the last several posts and the $50 was mentioned as limit and minimum...probably needs to get that cleared up. The list of regulars is a great idea to avoid any bad apples from joining. A wish list may also want to be considered, ie shirt size, pant size, etc. I included this because I took part in a secret santa for a car board like 4 years back. I knew the dude wanted some cool car toys so I got some super nice one from LIttle Tokyo, and in return I got a gift card to Starbucks :lol:
Also, a gift receipt should be included if possible in case it doesn't fit and the recipient needs to exchange. Sounds like the foundation is building up nicely here. :smile:

I'm on-board with the $50-75 idea and the list. I already have in mind what I'll probably end up getting for some people; based on who will likely participate.

ok so the list so far:
shoes? what makes and styles should i look for? also where to buy them?
keep practicing on my tie game! good look eiddyfouw and also get better quality ties
either buy v necks or wife beaters for undershirts
hit up express for shirts, and j crew for some chino's.... good places to cop dress slacks?

I appreciate all the help NT fam
What's your purpose for wearing a shirt underneath? Comfort? Sweat? Hide chest hair and/or nips? :lol:

I would say DO NOT wear a WB under a poplin or other shirt that thin, it'll show through and look awful. If you're gonna wear your collar open, try to wer a v-neck with the same depth or slightly below where the shirt will be open. Based on the pics you posted, it wouldn't be deep or showing much skin.

Last edited:
what thirft store was this?

Salvation Army and Goodwill. It pays to go to thrift stores nearest to affluent neighborhoods. It makes sense because those folks have the better stuff.

Although it's not as if I walk out of the stores with great finds each time. For every good score I get, there are also disappointing trips mixed between.

I think thrift shopping is really fun, it has always been a part of my life in some way. My parents used to go and get me clothes since I would ruin new clothes too easily. Later on in high school I started shopping for vintage sneakers, and now for the past few years i've mainly been interested in finding menswear that I can put to use for years to come. Also if you find something good that is not your size you can always get it for ebay and make a few bucks.

Last edited:
Any one mess with those Alpha Docker chinos? Seen some at UO, which my friend has a 40% discount.

I swear by these pants. I have four pairs in total and they're all I wear to work now. Really versatile pair of pants. Also, since the weather dropped I couldn't resist breaking out the Odin x Target DBs today. Had them on for my 9-5 and they were mad comfy!

7977719001_6a7609e545_z.jpg

7977720001_f44ef5b4df_z.jpg

Don't Express 1MX shirts have spandex in them? They just look cheap.

If you're looking to start with a decent quality, reasonably priced shirt, go with Charles Tyrwhitt instead, varied collar syles and plenty of nice patterns too

Any other fan of sweatshorts in here?...I would wear these everyday if I could....
Got them on sale at A&F for like 25$

If its not appropriate for the thread feel free to let me know, I know is not a pair of chinos or a suit, just trying to display how what I believe to be proper fit can make a difference no matter what you wear....I know the majority of us out there ain't Beraqueezing it to the corner store :wink:

Ohh ****, my dude 10piece!...I just realized you are under a different name, all this time I was wondering where the hell you went!

Don't Express 1MX shirts have spandex in them? They just look cheap.
If you're looking to start with a decent quality, reasonably priced shirt, go with Charles Tyrwhitt instead, varied collar syles and plenty of nice patterns too
I Believe you are correct, but I swear their fit is one of the best fitted shirts I've worn....hence why I recommend them

Any one mess with those Alpha Docker chinos? Seen some at UO, which my friend has a 40% discount.

I swear by these pants. I have four pairs in total and they're all I wear to work now. Really versatile pair of pants. Also, since the weather dropped I couldn't resist breaking out the Odin x Target DBs today. Had them on for my 9-5 and they were mad comfy!

7977719001_6a7609e545_z.jpg

7977720001_f44ef5b4df_z.jpg

Looking good! I'll be breaking mine out soon.

I have one pair of Alpha Khakis, and I love them. I want to get some more, but I'm waiting on a sale. Unless you want to hook the fam up with your friend's discount... :nerd:

Alpha Chino made me think of

:lol:

in need of quick help. can someone PM me or reply back to me. I needed to know what size a 40 would be for a levi's denim jacket. not sure whether its a vintage fit or modern one the seller doesn't know either and is clueless on measurements as well. will rep.

Speaking of thrifting I picked up this authentic Army jacket awhile back and I am close to

taking it to the tailor to get altered since I plan to wear it casually this fall/winter.

Besides slimming the sleeves can you guys suggest any fixes I should make?

in need of quick help. can someone PM me or reply back to me. I needed to know what size a 40 would be for a levi's denim jacket. not sure whether its a vintage fit or modern one the seller doesn't know either and is clueless on measurements as well. will rep.
40 is like a medium

Back
Top Bottom