Dressing Better Vol 2.0

I almost have a confession to make. I saw a link to Abercrombie having 40% off everything and checked it out. I can't lie, if they did slap a logo on everything, I'd be tempted. I feel so ashamed.

I almost have a confession to make. I saw a link to Abercrombie having 40% off everything and checked it out. I can't lie, if they did slap a logo on everything, I'd be tempted. I feel so ashamed.

Man I did the same thing but with American Eagle...I refuse to step into or checkout Abercrombie but same with AE the eagle logo just killed it for me.

it wasnt really thick at all. so it would be something i would wear springtime summer night. its a good piece of layering white vnecks underneath or something like that

Thanks man, definitely might order it...well I was until I saw this...

I just picked up a baseball jacket from H&M clearance for $10. They had an extra 50% off sale items this past weekend. Will post a fit pic whenever I get around to wearing it.

May have to head there in the next couple of days, if not I may order the one from UO.

Can I ask, why you all want to "dress better," but get stuck in the mall brands or department store labels? Is it a pricepoint issue? Or do you not know where else to look?

It seems like you all spend quite a bit of money on clothes, why not go for better quality items? Even Sarteaga whos goal seems to be spending less money, but in the end it seems to be adding up.

Last edited:
Can I ask, why you all want to "dress better," but get stuck in the mall brands or department store labels? Is it a pricepoint issue? Or do you not know where else to look?

It seems like you all spend quite a bit of money on clothes, why not go for better quality items? Even Sarteaga whos goal seems to be spending less money, but in the end it seems to be adding up.

I personally look everywhere, it doesn't matter the brand. High-end/designer brands get tied to dressing better but it's not always the case. Honestly, my problem isn't poor quality items it's that I like shopping and searching for good deals lol.

I like variety, so for example I can maybe get 5 pretty good shirts, for the price of one better quality item.  Most of my stuff has held up well as is.

Well, as far as "holding up." Sure it holds up just fine. It won't necessarily fall apart on you, but to me menswear is simple. It is just basic clothing. We don't do dresses and skirts and playful **** liek that. It's a shirt pants and shoes. The fit and style you can copy, and all the mall stores do copy, but the most important part is fabric which they don't hold a candle to.

Don't get me wrong, I am not of the type to believe expensive is better. A lot of expensive labels out there use some of the worst fabric you can find. But don't you guys get tired of paper thin shirts that don't even feel nice?

Last edited:

you guys and your "brand" issues. Abercrombie makes the best shorts i own honestly. Will be picking up more this year too. Own 2 long sleeve henleys too. I am skinny and lanky their long sleeve shirts have longer sleeves then most...fit me perfectly.

Come at me bros

Reactions: ct3

Help guide people. Feel free to give any input and maybe open people's eyes and minds beyond that. From what you've posted, I like your style. It wouldn't work for me but it does for you. I'm sure your style evolved from somewhere, right?

It seems like for a lot of people, price is an issue as well as access to much beyond mall or department store types...not everyone is in a major city. I mean, a lot of peoples questions will be like "Where can I get a nice suit for $200 or less?" or "Quality dress shoes for $100?" "Shirt for $30", etc. Nice & quality might not come with it but mall brands it is, bring your coupons with you.

Also, it seems like a lot of people looking for advice in here need something soon or are just now moving beyond baggy streetwear or whatever (I can't get down with the shorts + ridic tube socks + fugly sneakers thing going on) so this thread caters to that. Keep in mind that this thread is a pretty small niche on a sneaker message board that has generally been all about "urban" wear. ****, there are posters who see any kind of fitted, skinny, non-masculine clothes posted anywhere but this thread on NT and refer to it as "dressing better" wear.

I don't limit myself to any labels. Maybe my post about Abercrombie sparked you to bring that up but it was mostly a joke and I avoid those types of stores. I will buy something without logos from wherever, it really doesn't matter to me and it works both ways. If I see something I like whether it's from a mall brand (I'll usually only do it at a discount) or paying a premium for something more obscure from a boutique, if I like it and it fits me well, I'll buy it.

you guys and your "brand" issues. Abercrombie makes the best shorts i own honestly. Will be picking up more this year too. Own 2 long sleeve henleys too. I am skinny and lanky their long sleeve shirts have longer sleeves then most...fit me perfectly.

Come at me bros

First, there's a stigma in my mind attached to Abercrombie in particular and even though I played sports my whole life, it was a jock, fratboy brand that was cheesy to me.
Second, like I said, they put their ugly logos everywhere. I very rarely wear clothing with logos and if I do, it's not gonna be a damn moose. :lol:
Third, if it works for you, fine. I didn't look through the whole site but I don't wear long or baggy shorts or cargos.
Maybe they've switched it up but their overall aesthetic has remained pretty much the same for a long time in my eyes. I did imply that some of the stuff I saw online looked pretty decent (only at 40% off) so it's not like I otherwise think it's awful...like I said, w/o logos it might be a different story.

Help guide people. Feel free to give any input and maybe open people's eyes and minds beyond that. From what you've posted, I like your style. It wouldn't work for me but it does for you. I'm sure your style evolved from somewhere, right?

It seems like for a lot of people, price is an issue as well as access to much beyond mall or department store types...not everyone is in a major city. I mean, a lot of peoples questions will be like "Where can I get a nice suit for $200 or less?" or "Quality dress shoes for $100?" "Shirt for $30", etc. Nice & quality might not come with it but mall brands it is, bring your coupons with you.

Also, it seems like a lot of people looking for advice in here need something soon or are just now moving beyond baggy streetwear or whatever (I can't get down with the shorts + ridic tube socks + fugly sneakers thing going on) so this thread caters to that. Keep in mind that this thread is a pretty small niche on a sneaker message board that has generally been all about "urban" wear. ****, there are posters who see any kind of fitted, skinny, non-masculine clothes posted anywhere but this thread on NT and refer to it as "dressing better" wear.

I don't limit myself to any labels. Maybe my post about Abercrombie sparked you to bring that up but it was mostly a joke and I avoid those types of stores. I will buy something without logos from wherever, it really doesn't matter to me and it works both ways. If I see something I like whether it's from a mall brand (I'll usually only do it at a discount) or paying a premium for something more obscure from a boutique, if I like it and it fits me well, I'll buy it.

Inaccessibility doesnt mean anything with the internet nowadays. It seems all of you put a good amount of time into finding the stuff you wear. With huge menswear outlets like Unionmade out there bringing all this stuff together it's not even much of a search to find the better quality product. The prices certainly are higher, but with the quantity of clothing I see you guys posting daily, I'm not so sure you'd be worse off having less, of a better product.

The abercrombie comment mainly just made me think about why it's even considered something different than your H&M's, UO's and whatnot.

Last edited:

Come at me bros

Lol nobody is gonna "come at you". I think it was in December that somebody picked up a duffle coat from Abercrombie on deep discount that looked amazing. I've come to learn that you can't discriminate based on brand names because even the ones that are labeled by stereotypes have good things to offer.

Last edited:
The only mall brand I really buy from is J. Crew. Their stuff is nice enough to wear for a couple of seasons and I will have gotten my money's worth. Like Rolli stated some of the higher end stuff leaves much to be desired in term of quality. You're paying for the design more or less.

I'll chime in later on the CPU. Writing an essay is too difficult on the phone :lol:

Off topic :lol: , but does anyone remember the Levi's 508 Cargos from this past season? It seems as if there's no trace of them now and I can't find them to save my life :smh: Wish I would have copped when they were on sale. They look alot better than the Lands End ones imo.
levis-caraway-508-tapered-leg-cargo-pants-product-2-5103403-840697543_large_flex.jpeg

pLEVI1-12809038t330x400.jpg

The only mall brand I really buy from is J. Crew. Their stuff is nice enough to wear for a couple of seasons and I will have gotten my money's worth. Like Rolli stated some of the higher end stuff leaves much to be desired in term of quality. You're paying for the design more or less.

I'll chime in later on the CPU. Writing an essay is too difficult on the phone :lol:
I only recently starting looking at this thread. It seems like between you and ksteezy, and possibly a couple others, you're like men among boys in here. im not trying to offend anyone at all, but it's probably gonna happen.

All these tips ya'll offer isn't doing much good if people keep buying into the styles but don't really see the reason behind it or develop a personal taste for "better" things. Oh I can buy this at the gap and look like this other guy i saw online. Wheres the progress in that?

Last edited:

I only recently starting looking at this thread. It seems like between you and ksteezy, and possibly a couple others, you're like men among boys in here. im not trying to offend anyone at all, but it's probably gonna happen.

All these tips ya'll offer isn't doing much good if people keep buying into the styles but don't really see the reason behind it or develop a personal taste for "better" things. Oh I can buy this at the gap and look like this other guy i saw online. Wheres the progress in that?

As Scars has already explained, for most people it's definitely a price issue. 90% of the time when somebody comes in here asking for advice, they have a fairly low budget and are just starting to try and "dress better". Nobody's going to recommend something expensive or designer to a beginner because we all have a starting point.

Developing your own style with more complex/expensive pieces comes with time.

There's personal progress.For one I love the different sites for clothing these cats link. Im in Houston. Not too many peps around here are on that DB steez. With this thread I can see many different styles and use what I'm comfortable with.

There is not an original style online. We are all buying something we saw online, that they somewhere else, that was actually an old style from years ago.

Can't see what i wrote phone acting up. Sorry if not readable.

I agree to an extent. I feel that many just copy and paste looks vs doing their own thing and putting their own little style to it. Sometimes it seems some just jump on the cosigning train just cause they see a specific member disagree with a fit or have a different opinion. Dress for yourself and not for others.

Inaccessibility doesnt mean anything with the internet nowadays. It seems all of you put a good amount of time into finding the stuff you wear. With huge menswear outlets like Unionmade out there bringing all this stuff together it's not even much of a search to find the better quality product. The prices certainly are higher, but with the quantity of clothing I see you guys posting daily, I'm not so sure you'd be worse off having less, of a better product.

The abercrombie comment mainly just made me think about why it's even considered something different than your H&M's, UO's and whatnot.

I don't see anything wrong with what you're saying and I think you should contribute more. Where did your style evolve from though? I'd imagine it was a process. It's not like this thread is the be all. I don't really dress like most of the regular pictures posters but I work so I wear (and like to) shirts & ties, dress shoes, I wear suits. I try to contribute. While early on the responses to where to get dress shirts were often a lot of mall or common brand, I'd found Charles Tyrwhitt probably 5 years ago and I don't believe they're the best, they're very good quality for the price and a brand not everyone would be aware of.

You mention Unionmade...any other suggestions? Keep posting what you wear if you want and expressing whatever you want. I just wanted to explain that if you haven't really been around this thread, there's a reason for a lot of what you're pointing out. If need be, other threads can also be created which don't include what's common in here. This one has just kind of taken its form for whatever reasons...

As Scars has already explained, for most people it's definitely a price issue. 90% of the time when somebody comes in here asking for advice, they have a fairly low budget and are just starting to try and "dress better". Nobody's going to recommend something expensive or designer to a beginner because we all have a starting point.

Developing your own style with more complex/expensive pieces comes with time.

If you're trying to guide someone, does it not make sense to point out that there is a different way to go about it? Why should someone have to start off with mall quality if the goal in the end is to build a better wardrobe. How many different aspects of your life do you go about with the idea of quality over quantity. Why should building a wardrobe be any different?

Starting out? Go buy that awesome white oxford shirt, go buy that striped oxford shirt. Don't buy it at H&M. it will take time, but it will be worth it. You don't need 15 dress shirts from Express.

Well, as far as "holding up." Sure it holds up just fine. It won't necessarily fall apart on you, but to me menswear is simple. It is just basic clothing. We don't do dresses and skirts and playful **** liek that. It's a shirt pants and shoes. The fit and style you can copy, and all the mall stores do copy, but the most important part is fabric which they don't hold a candle to.

Don't get me wrong, I am not of the type to believe expensive is better. A lot of expensive labels out there use some of the worst fabric you can find. But don't you guys get tired of paper thin shirts that don't even feel nice?

That's where I draw the line though, just like you said paper thin shirts, paper thin anything, if something feels that it's going to fall apart after a few wears I don't even bother no matter the price. A great example of that is all the shoes H&M carries, I just can't. I like looking for deals but I like finding things that will last. I still have H&M trousers that I paid $7.50-10 for and are going strong after 2 years. Unfortunately you're right too many people will focus on quantity over quality.

Come at me bros

To me it's the logos more than the brand. I'll buy any brand just don't want the branding all over...reminds me of high school too much.

P.S. great to see this thread moving!

Back
Top Bottom