Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Does anyone own the Grey distressed Clarks desert boots? (In suede or leather, either one)

I really like them but I wanted to see some on feet pictures first. Anyone? :nerd:
I had them but didn't like how they looked on feet so I sold them.

its midnight, just got out of work. gotta love tax season.

edit: just saw your post pinoy about accounting. i do corp tax @ a big 4. what area of accounting are you trying to get into?

Hustle hard, man :pimp:

I took some accounting courses, I don't think I can do it. My step dad is a tax attorney, among other things.

Today:

edit: just saw your post pinoy about accounting. i do corp tax @ a big 4. what area of accounting are you trying to get into?

Hustle hard, man :pimp:

I took some accounting courses, I don't think I can do it. My step dad is a tax attorney, among other things.

Today:

Amazing mix of colors and materials. Sick fit my man! Usually not a fan of cords but you pulled it off.

Wis if you don't mind me asking, what school did you attend for your undergrad?

Amazing mix of colors and materials. Sick fit my man! Usually not a fan of cords but you pulled it off.

Wis if you don't mind me asking, what school did you attend for your undergrad?

Thanks, man. It was raining today so that's why I wore those boots.

I was going to save this post for later since I'm kinda tired, but here it goes...I hope it is coherent enough at this late hour of typing, haha.

I attended a regular state university in Southern CA. It's not even a UC, which is the more prestige counterpart. I attended a Cal State. Cal State University, Northridge to be exact. To go even further, my GPA out of undergrad was far from stellar. I had messed around my first two years in college, and GPA was around 2.0 flat. I eventually buckled down and tried to raise it. I got it up to like 2.97 or so before graduation. I still didn't make it because I needed a 3.0 at least for grad school :lol: This was for my first master's so I had to take the GRE (or the GMAT...I don't remember anymore. I took both, one for each master's program).

When the time came to look for a job, I was pretty scared. I knew I was going up against other kids from better schools, ie USC, UCLA, UC Irvine, etc. To top it off, my GPA sucked and aside from my internship at JPL/NASA, I didn't really have much that stood out. The line of work I was at wasn't your typical 9-5, though it can be, but it is not just strictly those hours depending on the field. I was hungry and determined. Other kids felt privileged, like they wanted a great paying job within 5 miles of home from the start. I was going to get what I can. I ended up finding a job within a week of looking. It was a 30 mile commute on the 405 freeway (which is one of the worst in the country). I was working swing shift and eventually graveyard, basically 2-11PM and 10PM to 6AM, respectively. I was single and loved it. Half the time at work, I spent studying for my grad courses...just locked down the office and go to work. Aside from the other 4-5 guys with me, there were no other management personnel around. I studied the job and found the slow time and busy time. I was working in the airlines industry so I was able to do my assignments and still do homework. I knew I wasn't going to be there for the long run, and just for the experience. I eventually left the job 15 months later and got a better job that is closer to home, with regular hours, and got a ~30% pay raise.

The moral of this story to all you new grads is simple: stay hungry but remain humble. Believe in yourself, and go for the best job you can. Don't expect anything to be handed down to you, and always work harder than the next man.

Once you gain some experience, then you have leverage and can alter your goals if need be.

I actually have a part II to this story. I'll post it up tomorrow :lol:

Wj are u in healthcare administration?
Not directly, but sorta. Clinical lab to be more precise. Healthcare would work in the broad scope. Some of the doctors I work with have credentials that are unbelievable. One has 2 bachelor's, 2 master's, 2 doctorates (an MD, and a Ph. D).

Didn't expect that. Thank you Wisith, I have a lot of respect for you man. How was interning at NASA? Must have been cool!!

Question... How do you even go about getting an internship? Do you have to go through your school? Or is it like the same steps of getting a job?

Didn't expect that. Thank you Wisith, I have a lot of respect for you man. How was interning at NASA? Must have been cool!!

Question... How do you even go about getting an internship? Do you have to go through your school? Or is it like the same steps of getting a job?
It was really fun. The campus is huge, probably over 2 miles in size. There were interns from around the nation. The culture was of course, geeky. Guys would wear t shirts with formulas on it and a crafty word would display the punch line...stuff that 99.9% of the population would not get.

If I can go back, I would definitely pick up more internships instead of wasting my summers on the internet and watching TV as an undergrad. I highly suggest this to all you undergrads with free time as well. 99% of the stuff you learn in the real world will be due to trial and error. Most of the stuff I learned in school was pretty much useless in real life situation to be honest.

The JPL/NASA internship, I got that one on the low because it was unpaid and no one wanted it. There were internships paying $15/hour, which was a lot of money to undergrads. I figured that I needed something that stood out since my resume was subpar at best. School does provide leads to internships, but ultimately it's up to you to do the leg work. Go on indeed.com, and type in whatever kind of internship you're looking for, and I'm sure tons will top up. I ran into about 10 internships randomly recently while scanning the environment for a new job. Firms can always use free help, man :lol:

You still go through the interview process and do everything like a job, except it's no permanent and there might not be pay involved. Another plus is that you get to network with people in the process. You never know if you will need a job years down the line, and you can always shoot a quick email to the folks you interned with and see if they have any lead. One of the guys I interned under at JPL/NASA wrote me a very nice reference letter almost 2 years down the line and it eventually got me the better paying job I mentioned in the last post.

Sorry to distract the thread with these questions.. :/

One more... I'm a business admin major with a IT minor. What kind of internship should I be looking for?

I read about their stuff before. Isn't the whole brand built around items priced at $60-70? If so, I would think it should be on point with Gap and the likes.

That's what I assumed also,

Browsing the website some pieces were nice :nerd:

Sorry to distract the thread with these questions.. :/

One more... I'm a business admin major with a IT minor. What kind of internship should I be looking for?

I'm a Business Management major with an emphasis in Entrepreneurship and I'm interning right now at a marketing agency for the life science industry... :lol:

Honestly, I'm just in it for the experience. This internship is independent of the school's required internship to graduate and I'm learning a lot, so I think it's beneficial even though it's not in my field.

I'm looking to get some of my shirts washed and dry cleaned and was wondering what is a good price to pay? :nerd:

I'm looking to get some of my shirts washed and dry cleaned and was wondering what is a good price to pay? :nerd:

Honesty man, save the dry cleaning for your blazers, suits, etc. Shirts can be done in your own home... Unless you're just really bad at laundry :lol:

Don't eem got an iron. My mom just sent me some business casual stuff all wrinkled and worn from back home cause all I brought down was hoodies/t-shirts/basketball shorts... :lol:

which big 4 if you dont mind me asking? and i'm kinda interning at a very small firm right now working on audit work soon to go into tax. My plan is to enter into public accounting. Lean is more towards audit since i already finished a course with an A but tax is pretty intriguing as well.

Thanks, man. It was raining today so that's why I wore those boots.

I was going to save this post for later since I'm kinda tired, but here it goes...I hope it is coherent enough at this late hour of typing, haha.

I attended a regular state university in Southern CA. It's not even a UC, which is the more prestige counterpart. I attended a Cal State. Cal State University, Northridge to be exact. To go even further, my GPA out of undergrad was far from stellar. I had messed around my first two years in college, and GPA was around 2.0 flat. I eventually buckled down and tried to raise it. I got it up to like 2.97 or so before graduation. I still didn't make it because I needed a 3.0 at least for grad school :lol: This was for my first master's so I had to take the GRE (or the GMAT...I don't remember anymore. I took both, one for each master's program).

When the time came to look for a job, I was pretty scared. I knew I was going up against other kids from better schools, ie USC, UCLA, UC Irvine, etc. To top it off, my GPA sucked and aside from my internship at JPL/NASA, I didn't really have much that stood out. The line of work I was at wasn't your typical 9-5, though it can be, but it is not just strictly those hours depending on the field. I was hungry and determined. Other kids felt privileged, like they wanted a great paying job within 5 miles of home from the start. I was going to get what I can. I ended up finding a job within a week of looking. It was a 30 mile commute on the 405 freeway (which is one of the worst in the country). I was working swing shift and eventually graveyard, basically 2-11PM and 10PM to 6AM, respectively. I was single and loved it. Half the time at work, I spent studying for my grad courses...just locked down the office and go to work. Aside from the other 4-5 guys with me, there were no other management personnel around. I studied the job and found the slow time and busy time. I was working in the airlines industry so I was able to do my assignments and still do homework. I knew I wasn't going to be there for the long run, and just for the experience. I eventually left the job 15 months later and got a better job that is closer to home, with regular hours, and got a ~30% pay raise.

The moral of this story to all you new grads is simple: stay hungry but remain humble. Believe in yourself, and go for the best job you can. Don't expect anything to be handed down to you, and always work harder than the next man.

Once you gain some experience, then you have leverage and can alter your goals if need be.

I actually have a part II to this story. I'll post it up tomorrow :lol:

maaan, this is pretty much exactly what I'm going through right now. Did one internship my last semester of college, which didn't lead to anything really. I wanna take the GRE but I don't think I could get a high enough score to get into grad school |I

Last edited:
Forgot the name of the boots posted but they came out fall 2012 retailed for well over 800.Once the price dropped to Under 400 for the end of season sale they dissapared with the quickness. Best bet to possibly find them is on ebay but be prepared to spend over 500. You could always look in to other brands for similar styled boots like Grenson, Trickers or Allen Edmond Long Branch boots.
Appreciate it. I checked out some of those other brands you mentioned, a little to steep for me. 
laugh.gif

I've actually been admiring the AE Long Branch from a distance for a while now, might pull the trigger on ebay, any other recommendations in the $150 - 300 price range?

Not directly, but sorta. Clinical lab to be more precise. Healthcare would work in the broad scope. Some of the doctors I work with have credentials that are unbelievable. One has 2 bachelor's, 2 master's, 2 doctorates (an MD, and a Ph. D).

Man I feel you on that, most MD's or DO's have crazy credentials..esp ones that take non traditional routes and pursue other fields of study..mostly just out of interest or to separate themselves from the cookie cutter applicant..they rack up masters degrees and all types of other stuff..on top of the rigorous schooling of med school and maintaining a close to impeccable undergrad resume so that they can remain competitive for med school (granted they go to a US MD school).

makes me feel like i need to accomplish stuff..i have lots of friends who took the med route..and it is inspiring, the hours they put in..just on school work..im not even talkin bout the hours they put in on the job..

Last edited:
Man I feel you on that, most MD's or DO's have crazy credentials..esp ones that take non traditional routes and pursue other fields of study..mostly just out of interest or to separate themselves from the cookie cutter applicant..they rack up masters degrees and all types of other stuff..on top of the rigorous schooling of med school and maintaining a close to impeccable undergrad resume so that they can remain competitive for med school (granted they go to a US MD school).

makes me feel like i need to accomplish stuff..i have lots of friends who took the med route..and it is inspiring, the hours they put in..just on school work..im not even talkin bout the hours they put in on the job..

Either one or two things happen.

1. Some peps rack up credentials because they dont know what they want to do. My sis is on tis track, wants to be a doctor but is getting all kinds of science degrees instead of going to medical school. She just finished her masters in biology at Columbia and now looking at some thing eles.

2. They become doctors leave go back, multiple times. My ex was an pharmacy tech in before she was 18, nurse before she was 21 and became an MD before she was 25. Shes now 33 and has bounce from back to MD so many times. At one time she was a realtor (how I met her). Girl is like a genius. She can literally walk into any hospital on the planet and get hired on the spot.

Step Father was like the first black 4 star Admiral in the Navy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom