Dressing Better Vol 2.0

its midnight, just got out of work. gotta love tax season.

edit: just saw your post pinoy about accounting. i do corp tax @ a big 4. what area of accounting are you trying to get into?

Hustle hard, man :pimp:

I took some accounting courses, I don't think I can do it. My step dad is a tax attorney, among other things.

Today:

Really like that fit man. I've been looking for a burgundy velvet or corduroy blazer for a minute :nerd::nerd::nerd:

Didn't expect that. Thank you Wisith, I have a lot of respect for you man. How was interning at NASA? Must have been cool!!

Question... How do you even go about getting an internship? Do you have to go through your school? Or is it like the same steps of getting a job?
It was really fun. The campus is huge, probably over 2 miles in size. There were interns from around the nation. The culture was of course, geeky. Guys would wear t shirts with formulas on it and a crafty word would display the punch line...stuff that 99.9% of the population would not get.

If I can go back, I would definitely pick up more internships instead of wasting my summers on the internet and watching TV as an undergrad. I highly suggest this to all you undergrads with free time as well. 99% of the stuff you learn in the real world will be due to trial and error. Most of the stuff I learned in school was pretty much useless in real life situation to be honest.

The JPL/NASA internship, I got that one on the low because it was unpaid and no one wanted it. There were internships paying $15/hour, which was a lot of money to undergrads. I figured that I needed something that stood out since my resume was subpar at best. School does provide leads to internships, but ultimately it's up to you to do the leg work. Go on indeed.com, and type in whatever kind of internship you're looking for, and I'm sure tons will top up. I ran into about 10 internships randomly recently while scanning the environment for a new job. Firms can always use free help, man :lol:

You still go through the interview process and do everything like a job, except it's no permanent and there might not be pay involved. Another plus is that you get to network with people in the process. You never know if you will need a job years down the line, and you can always shoot a quick email to the folks you interned with and see if they have any lead. One of the guys I interned under at JPL/NASA wrote me a very nice reference letter almost 2 years down the line and it eventually got me the better paying job I mentioned in the last post.

This is one thing I couldn't emphasize to an undergrad enough. Internships will help you more than you can ever imagine. A majority of my friends and I who got internships either A. Were asked to come back and eventually given a full-time offer or B. Were able to use the connections they made to get another job (i.e. networking, leads, references, etc.). Plus that experience looks REALLY good for when you are applying for your first full-time position. It shows them that you have competency in the workforce. I do recruiting and interviewing for my company so if any of the DB fam has some questions, feel free to PM me.

Hey fellas, I need your help now. I was selected as one of the many contestants for a Mr Porter Global Style Contest off of Instagram. They have me for the wrong city, no idea why they put me in London but I already emailed them about it and also sent them a better quality picture of the same photo, so the link might change. If it does I'll post the new one. It's not my best picture by any means but it's the only one I had on instagram, but for now here's the link to go vote.

Thanks

Here's the new link

http://mrporterglobalstyle.com/style/huntsville/3022

Last edited:
Finally scooped these bad boys up for 100$ @ the outlet!

Sorry for pic quoting....but these are beautiful great find man.

Were they at a cole haan outlet? about to make tons of phone calls

Don't know if its been posted but you can bring in an old pair of shoes (any style x slightly worn) to Allen Edmonds store or online (honor code) and get 35 bucks off your purchase of a new pair of shoes... It lasts to the 10th.

Buying my wedding shoes today so imma test it out... Bringing in a pair of asics I wore once lol

I'm a Business Management major with an emphasis in Entrepreneurship and I'm interning right now at a marketing agency for the life science industry... :lol:

Honestly, I'm just in it for the experience. This internship is independent of the school's required internship to graduate and I'm learning a lot, so I think it's beneficial even though it's not in my field.

Your internship should be in the field that you're interested in or at least something in a field similar to what you are interested in. At the end of the day the point of the internship should be really two things, to one gain real-world experience, and two, to really figure out if that is really the field that you want to go into.

I always feel teachers get a bad rep and that people have this idea that going into the teaching field is a really easy path, it's not. I interned for 3 summers, which I know is what helped me get accepted to my Masters program; considering that my GRE score was low. What a good teacher needs to do on a daily basis involves a lot. From the lesson planning, to differentiating material for students of different levels, to managing every single personality in your classroom, grading, knowing the content, etc. just to name a few. This is something that you really have to love in order to do it, and to do it well.

Like Wis said and has mentioned your credentials help; I have 1 Masters, but currently finishing my second one while working full time. Demonstrating that you always want to improve your craft and always improving your craft is important, regardless of your profession. The money; as crazy as it sounds, is secondary, especially when you are doing what you love. I love what I do, as it seems Wis does too, the salaries that we have are a very nice bonus.

Don't know if its been posted but you can bring in an old pair of shoes (any style x slightly worn) to Allen Edmonds store or online (honor code) and get 35 bucks off your purchase of a new pair of shoes... It lasts to the 10th.

Buying my wedding shoes today so imma test it out... Bringing in a pair of asics I wore once lol

Yea you can, any pair of shoes that is new or gently worn, no matter the style.

Stay hungry and stay humble. Couldn't have said it any better.

Surprised at the age range. I'm 25 myself and in the process of applying for my MFA in Design.

Lastly,

What kind of cologne are you most of you wearing these days?

Surprised at the age range. I'm 25 myself and in the process of applying for my MFA in Design.

Lastly,

Been rocking Light Blue for like three years now

Last edited:
Hey fellas, I need your help now. I was selected as one of the many contestants for a Mr Porter Global Style Contest off of Instagram. They have me for the wrong city, no idea why they put me in London but I already emailed them about it and also sent them a better quality picture of the same photo, so the link might change. If it does I'll post the new one. It's not my best picture by any means but it's the only one I had on instagram, but for now here's the link to go vote.

Thanks

Here's the new link

Good job man, can't see link at work but I will check it out later.

Wj4 what's the boots u rocking b
Chippewas via J. Crew from fall and winter 2011.

Lastly,

Haven't bought any in a while but here's a pic:

Jking, thanks bro these are women's, so go up two sizes and if you are anything bigger than a 9.5 I don't think you'll be able to get them :\

Marmour, yeah bro women....sometimes it can be beneficial to be an 8 :lol:

I'll be 25 in the summer.

And that Levi's trucker was like $25 on the clearance rack at Macy's last year

YOINK!

Loooool. Wow, man.

Could you give me the run down? :lol:

Or refer me to a guide. Checked AskMen and GQ at first, both were alright for advice..

I've been wearing the Burberry one for awhile, both night and day. Looking to transition for something more wood-like/earthy for the evening.

I was thinking Hugo or Tom Ford's Noir. But I have no idea what I'm doing ahah.

Loooool. Wow, man.

Could you give me the run down? :lol:

Or refer me to a guide. Checked AskMen and GQ at first, both were alright for advice..

I've been wearing the Burberry one for awhile, both night and day. Looking to transition for something more wood-like/earthy for the evening.

I was thinking Hugo or Tom Ford's Noir. But I have no idea what I'm doing ahah.

I don't really use one daily but for going out at night/evening I use YSL La Nuit de L'homme....I ordered it off of reviews online (which is al ways a risk) but I really love it, the gf does as well :nthat:

Lastly,

Davidoff "Cool Water" and my all time favorite... Calvin Klein "In 2 u"

The Calvin cologne is one of the best smells I have ever experienced :lol:

Congrats Wes!!!

Last edited:

Thanks

Here's the new link

voted good luck. And good post Wj4

Last edited:
In regards to career stuff, there seems to be a few business undergrads in here, so I will see if I can share any advice.  I went to the University of Alabama for undergrad and majored in Finance, because I wanted to specialize a little bit, instead of just general business.  I only had one internship at Ameriprise, because I thought for a time I wanted to be a financial advisor.  I definitely should have been more involved with extracurricular activities and other internships. 

Upon graduation, I was not ready to work, and the job market was terrible, so I went to the University of Alabama Birmingham for my MBA.  This has not benefited me much yet, but I believe it will later on as I continue to climb the ladder.  The MBA only took two semesters, and I found a job with one of the national banks right after graduating.  I was processing mortgage loans, which was not what I wanted to do.  I could not find anything else, so I worked my butt off and was pretty much the top producer in my department.  After a year or so, I was promoted to managing my own team, which I have now been doing for over a year, in a couple different departments, gaining experience.

So I would say be involved and get as many internships as you can while you are in school.  You should try to get an internship directly related to the type of job you want to have. Definitely specialize if you can, and get your master’s, that will help with making better money sooner.  A bachelor’s degree is almost like a high school diploma these days.  A general business degree will only get you in the door, since you can’t really start managing people right out of school, and won’t stand out much.  Degrees with specific skills are more valuable in my opinion.  I would go with accounting, finance, economics, etc. if you are in the business field.  If you do get a crappy job at first, do your best, and try to stand out.  Any ranking or metric that you can be graded on, try to be at the top, and always try to take on additional responsibility.  Supervisors love that.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.  Business world is tough
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I'm going to try to go for finance related interns now, although my degree is in information systems. All of my finance classes have been more interesting and enjoyable than the IS ones, so I'm going to see if I can have any luck with that.

How was UAB's MBA program? I'm surprised it was only a year

Thanks to everyone who voted. Just looked at the top votes and other entries...no way I'm getting close to winning :lol:
A lot of you guys should enter though, especially Wisith. A lot of your fits are winning material

Here's how you can enter. Post your links so I can vote for y'all if they select you. Seems like they're selecting a ton of people as long as your fit is decent
http://mrporterglobalstyle.com/enter

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom