Dressing Better Vol 2.0

wj4 or anyone -
Know the deal with these Tricker's?
I was googling and found a thread on Style Forum about Tricker's that discusses these from Sierra Trading Post (STP) and they're referred to as the "Not-Stows" (STP has them as Langston).
Anyway, I'm trying to gauge quality, last, etc because STP has 30% off and $350 for typical quality Tricker's boots? Not bad. If they're like a made for outlet type, eh.
Tricker's quality is amazing for the price. It completely blows Aldens out of the water. The thing that I dislike about buying from sites like that is because I don't know the last. For example I take a size 7.5 UK in the 4497 last, but a size 7 in the 4444 last. This is why I order from a direct connection.

Anything below $500 for a pair of Tricker's boot is a good deal IMO.
Yeah, that was my understanding....appreciate it. STP has 30% off pretty frequently so I might research even further if I can before I pull the trigger. I've never owned a pair so I have no reference for the different lasts.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys! It must've been funny if you can see me from the security cameras at Target. I was zipping and zooming around. The whole collection was at the kids' department of all places. I like the jacket, but I'm almost certain it will go on sale. Even at $150, it is too much for the average Target shopper. I got it because I've been looking for a fun blazer to wear, and the fit is dead on. It requires no tailoring at all. But I wouldn't want to tailor it anyway because of the functional sleeve buttons and there's white piping around the sleeve edge. It's a snug fit and wears like a cardigan more than anything. I got tons of compliments at work today. My friend is about to go pick up the female's version :lol: It's pretty cropped, it doesn't even cover half my butt and I'm only 5'9''. I don't know what people really expect out of quality...you're not going to get the cream of the crop for that price.

A: you got an awesome shoe rotation already, man. Just wait and see what happens in the next 5 years :lol:

Scar: you may want to join SF so you can ask questions in the Tricker's thread. A couple of folks have been extremely helpful to me. This is crucial because it sucks to send shoes back to the UK. It cost me around $60 to do it.

RFX: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think some of Thom's oxford shirts are actually made in China or Vietnam as well? While his work for Brooks Bros Black Fleece line is made in the USA.

Yeah, that was my understanding....appreciate it. STP has 30% off pretty frequently so I might research even further if I can before I pull the trigger. I've never owned a pair so I have no reference for the different lasts.
Also, with boots, it's not that big of a deal like shoes would be IMO so don't sweat too much. If it's a bit too big, just tie a bit tighter or use thicker socks. The shoes are heavy though. It feels like a brick because that's the nature of the style...they use thick leather that takes time to become supple. For around $500, I think they're pretty darn good.

I was a bit confused at first because some people only size down .5 for UK sizing, while others size down 1 whole size. Go with the latter, man.

Scar: you may want to join SF so you can ask questions in the Tricker's thread. A couple of folks have been extremely helpful to me. This is crucial because it sucks to send shoes back to the UK. It cost me around $60 to do it.

Also, with boots, it's not that big of a deal like shoes would be IMO so don't sweat too much. If it's a bit too big, just tie a bit tighter or use thicker socks. The shoes are heavy though. It feels like a brick because that's the nature of the style...they use thick leather that takes time to become supple. For around $500, I think they're pretty darn good.

I was a bit confused at first because some people only size down .5 for UK sizing, while others size down 1 whole size. Go with the latter, man.

Thanks again. I do have an account on SF and would check it out but I don't know, I didn't like the vibe. Sounds weird but I wasn't compelled to get involved. I'm only active on one other messageboard, I waste enough time here.

Positive is that STP is in the US and returns are fairly easy.

And I agree that the blazer looks good. Well done.

RFX: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think some of Thom's oxford shirts are actually made in China or Vietnam as well? While his work for Brooks Bros Black Fleece line is made in the USA.

I am not sure, even that is/was a preferred button up on the SWD side, that is still more of an MC brands/aesthetic (though most probably would rather hang themselves than wear Brownes cropped suits) so I am not too familiar where it is made. II do know that the tees and blazers I saw at Barneys this past weekend was made in Japan, shirts are still made in the US. I haven't seen or held a shirt made by China from TB.

The Target blazer is probably something I have to handle myself and decide for myself but I'm already hit with the holiday laziness bug, I didn't even get to go check out the H&MMMM in person. :wow:

Scars: I agree with you on the vibe. A lot of those dudes talk really slick online. I'm not a violent person or anything, but I'm certain if they carry the same manner in real life, their chin would've already been checked. I'm only active in certain threads. The brotherhood on the site is strong though, which I really like. I once posted about where to find tongue pads, and a regular member PM'd me and said he can send a pair to me at no charge. It's kinda like the vibe we have going on in here, with folks looking out for one another.

The best thing I like about SF is that I network with quite a few members, but mostly about business/future/career choices since most are a lot older than me.

I am not sure, even that is/was a preferred button up on the SWD side, that is still more of an MC brands/aesthetic (though most probably would rather hang themselves than wear Brownes cropped suits) so I am not too familiar where it is made. II do know that the tees and blazers I saw at Barneys this past weekend was made in Japan, shirts are still made in the US. I haven't seen or held a shirt made by China from TB.
The Target blazer is probably something I have to handle myself and decide for myself but I'm already hit with the holiday laziness bug, I didn't even get to go check out the H&MMMM in person. :wow:
The MMM collection at the Americana is still decent. My friend said the one at Beverly Center is ample as well. I got the blazer from Topanga Canyon BTW. The Target on Fallbrook has one too.

TB has been raising prices, man! 2 years ago I was able to buy a nice donegal wool cardigan for around $600, now I see similar pieces are almost $900-1k.

Today (Denim Challenge?) :nerd: :

Nice fit. Info on the kicks?

The Thom Browne jacket from Target today:

Wj4, that blazer looks good on you. I think your height really helps even though it's still pretty cropped, not that there's anything wrong with that [/seinfeld]. That thing barely came down to my belt :\

Scars: I agree with you on the vibe. A lot of those dudes talk really slick online. I'm not a violent person or anything, but I'm certain if they carry the same manner in real life, their chin would've already been checked. I'm only active in certain threads. The brotherhood on the site is strong though, which I really like. I once posted about where to find tongue pads, and a regular member PM'd me and said he can send a pair to me at no charge. It's kinda like the vibe we have going on in here, with folks looking out for one another.
The best thing I like about SF is that I network with quite a few members, but mostly about business/future/career choices since most are a lot older than me.
For some reason, I found this funny, especially here on Nike Talk.

so im looking for a black shoe, that i can wear sort of casually but have it be a bit dressy...

sort of like an alternative for my clarks DB in beezwax, but black... i dont like the black DB's....

any suggestions...

Not dressy and not black.

When someone needs a black pair of shoes thatc an be both work casually and somewhat dressier, I always suggest a derby/blucher, something simple with a nice last/silhouette like these:

Can easily go with denim or navy or grey slack/chinos.

Last edited:
so im looking for a black shoe, that i can wear sort of casually but have it be a bit dressy...
sort of like an alternative for my clarks DB in beezwax, but black... i dont like the black DB's....
any suggestions...

Dont know your price range but Raf Simmons Derbies would do both.

Not dressy and not black.

When someone needs a black pair of shoes thatc an be both work casually and somewhat dressier, I always suggest a derby/blucher, something simple with a nice last/silhouette like these:

Can easily go with denim or navy or grey slack/chinos.

sorry to be picky, maybe something a bit more casual haha...but thanks for the response

the thing is i dont even know exactly what im looking for...

i posted some shoes a couple pages back... they're like a mid top boat shoe... those are the only thing that i can relate to the casual/dressiness im looking for...

any suggestions...

I dont like the all black DB's either, but the matte black joints were money. My girl copped them for me 2 Christmas's ago. They used to be available at David Z, but they're sold out right now.

sorry to be picky, maybe something a bit more casual haha...but thanks for the response

Kind of had a feeling you were straddling the cau side a little bit more. I'd go with the Cole Haan Lunar wing tips.

RFX, those with jeans, "blah". Just my opinion. Yes it can be pulled off, no I don't like it.

any suggestions...
What about black Chukkas? That's pretty much the grown up brother of the DB, nearly the same silhouette.

Back
Top Bottom