Dressing Better Vol 2.0

What would you guys say are the 5-6 most versatile types/styles ties that you'd say for (interviews, dinners, work, etc.)? I know navy and a charcoal are the primary suits and brown and black for dress shoes, but I always wondered if there was something similar w/ ties...

No specific rules but if I had to limit myself to 5 ties it would be:

Solid Navy
Navy Stripe
Navy "polka dots" (like the one with different white dots)
Gray stripe
Black stripe

I'm sure people would disagree with some but that's just my opinion if only 5.

Personally, I think it looks good except for the shoes. The style/shape and color of them with that jacket & jeans doesn't work for me...not that it's bad, just maybe a different choice of footwear would look better.

Appreciate the comment. Yeah I wanted to pretty much go base light colors and then the navy/black jacket to stand out and those derbies are the only shoe I have that is close to white that isn't sneakers, it's actually more dirty white. I tried to avoid black footwear too because I think that just contrast too much, I've done it before and after a while it does seem a bit off-putting unless I wear a darker top.

If the challenge wasn't in mind, I'll likely wear a black and white sneakers.

I hear you. I'm far from perfect or an "expert" and I mean "no hate", I don't know what I'd recommend. You seem to prefer monotone and do it well but it just looks a little top heavy to me...maybe a bolder pair of shoes with color would work better in my eyes. I like the jacket, I have similar light grey jeans that are maybe a shade darker.

Also, I'm currently on the Converse site and they have 25% off for only today. As some of you know I've been wanting to cop these Jack P's for a while now! Thinking about making this my gift to myself or even buying them and telling my parents that these can just be my gift for xmas since I didn't ask for anything. :nerd:
Are they sized just like normal converse? I wear a size 10 in Nike and a size 8 in Converse so..... HELP!
8)

I have the same purcells but with black lacesand iI love them. You should pull the trigger.

how is a jacket/bubble vest suposed to fit? loose or tight?

i copped two... one that fits like extra perfect when closed and one that fits looser when closed

which one do i keep?

Alright, participating in the jeans challenge. As usual, will likely not everyones cup of tea but comments are welcome of course.
Jeans are light grey, not white and jackets body is navy.

solid fit but would look much more :smokin with black jeans and some type of boot

the sickest MC jacket imo is this mastermind one (ignore the model)

also to the guy asking about the JP's it says on the site it fits TTS so go with a 9-10

i copped two... one that fits like extra perfect when closed and one that fits looser when closed

which one do i keep?

help

wj4 or anyone -

Know the deal with these Tricker's?

I was googling and found a thread on Style Forum about Tricker's that discusses these from Sierra Trading Post (STP) and they're referred to as the "Not-Stows" (STP has them as Langston).

Anyway, I'm trying to gauge quality, last, etc because STP has 30% off and $350 for typical quality Tricker's boots? Not bad. If they're like a made for outlet type, eh.

Damb forgot bout the denim challenge...not sure if this even counts :\

Last edited:
wj4 or anyone -
Know the deal with these Tricker's?
I was googling and found a thread on Style Forum about Tricker's that discusses these from Sierra Trading Post (STP) and they're referred to as the "Not-Stows" (STP has them as Langston).
Anyway, I'm trying to gauge quality, last, etc because STP has 30% off and $350 for typical quality Tricker's boots? Not bad. If they're like a made for outlet type, eh.
Tricker's quality is amazing for the price. It completely blows Aldens out of the water. The thing that I dislike about buying from sites like that is because I don't know the last. For example I take a size 7.5 UK in the 4497 last, but a size 7 in the 4444 last. This is why I order from a direct connection.

Anything below $500 for a pair of Tricker's boot is a good deal IMO.

Last edited:
damn im being straight ignored
It's only been 2 hours since you posted. Nothing should fit tight, man. It's not some spandex workout gear. Slim is where you should aim at because you need some extra room for movement.

damn im being straight ignored

which one do i keep?
help

:lol:

It really is up to you, whether you want to layer under or over it. The thinner ones are good for layers underneath like Uniqlos Ultra Light Down: http://www.uniqlo.com/us/mens-clothing/collections/mens-ultra-light-down-collection
Those are thin but still warm and people rave about them to be perfect under a suit jacket or leather or coat to keep them warm. You can accomplish a similar look.

On the other hand, the puffier and larger size is if you want it to go over your coat or jacket and to provide somewhat of a waterproof protection?

In climates where it isn't necessarily needed as a layering component to stay warm, then that is also personal prefernece, whether you want to wear it small for a slimmer look or puffier for a more outdoorsman/workwear look with rugged boots and camo or something. Or just wearing them as is over anything really.

Last edited:
The Thom Browne jacket from Target today:

I'm going to assume that's off the rack with no tailoring? Fit is awesome 
pimp.gif

Noticed on my way out of Target a couple days ago, the whole collection was in the middle of the women's section 
tired.gif
. Need to go back to check it out, lol.

I am getting mixed reviews about that TargetxNMxTB blazer. Some are saying it is nice and decent with functional cuffs while others are saying it is H&M quality and made in China and $150 is way too much.

I am getting mixed reviews about that TargetxNMxTB blazer. Some are saying it is nice and decent with functional cuffs while others are saying it is H&M quality and made in China and $150 is way too much.

I liked it when I first saw the collection online, but I didn't like how it fit when I went into Target and actually tried it on. It felt wide, even when I sized down. I think the womens and kids joint looked like it fit better.

Back
Top Bottom