Dressing Better Vol 2.0

So if you don't have money, you shouldn't dress the way you want to. :smh:
Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me. Anyways, I didn't know H&M had Chelsea Boots tho. I'm a therapist and I'm still always trying to find a bargain.

Charcoal trousers and brown bluchers later in the afternoon.

Inspired by a recent talk of needing black shoes with black/charcoal suit.

Any suggestions on a varsity jacket? Not rally sure on the market so I'm guessing $250 is a decent max?
I posted some Golden Bear at great prices couple pages back. You can get a decent quality on sale for around $250. That's how I got my Shipley and Halmos a couple years back.

Speaking of Shipley, sell me the Nas polo :lol:

Srs.

Another option would be to also put off buying until you save up a little more cash.

Kinda reminds me of the laptop threads where someone says they have a $500 budget and people telling him to buy a macbook when that money couldn't even buy half a macbook.
It's going to be a cycle as it's always been in the past. I've been posting in this thread since day 1 of volume 1 when I was posting deep discount CK dress shirts I copped from Macy's....the pattern is someone going to come in and ask for x item at cheap price. The answer will always be fast fashion. I'm a fan of hi/low (rocking both high end and fast fashion pieces), and I'm an advocate of Uniqlo t's and boxer briefs, but some pieces are investment pieces. Of course this is just my opinion.

If anyone sees something they like, at any price point they're comfortable with, they should just cop. They don't need this thread or anyone else to validate.

Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me. Anyways, I didn't know H&M had Chelsea Boots tho. I'm a therapist and I'm still always trying to find a bargain.

When my 18 year old cousin got invited to a wedding and hit me up for clothes and shoes he could afford on a tight budget, I didn't tell him "Just wait til you can afford a $500 wool suit and $300 Goodyear welt shoes", I took him straight to H&M and got him a shirt, pants, and shoes for less than $200 total, and he still got compliments from girls that night about how he was well dressed. No one gave a single damn about his clothes being 100% polyester or whatever they use for the materials. If he followed Pinoy's logic, he would've been stuck at home for the next 4-6 years of his life before he could afford to go out to a formal event.

Personally, I would obviously prefer to wear the "higher end" and better quality items, but I have no major responsibilities outside of my rent, car payments, etc. Back in college/until I got a decent paying job and I didn't have $, I took full advantage of Express' 3 shirts made out of newspaper for $100 and Aldo's plastic oxfords for $45 sales so that I could go out clubbing on Thursday nights :lol:

Last edited:
When my 18 year old cousin got invited to a wedding and hit me up for clothes and shoes he could afford on a tight budget, I didn't tell him "Just wait til you can afford a $500 wool suit and $300 Goodyear welt shoes", I took him straight to H&M and got him a shirt, pants, and shoes for less than $200 total, and he still got compliments from girls that night about how he was well dressed. If he followed Pinoy's logic, he would've been stuck at home for the next 4-6 years of his life before he could go out to a formal event.
The more this kid dresses like Kanye, the more he gets hated like him too :lol: Mind you this kid just turned 23, he's going to have a slick mouth at times, fellas.

To be fair, there's been PLENTY of members who came in here and ask "I need a suit in 3 weeks and my max is $300" or "my man's wedding is coming up in a week and I need an outfit for cheap" or something along that line. When time is a factor, all of the answers that are given by members who reply were along with what you did...fast fashion, off the rack pieces. The backbone of this thread has always been getting pieces that fit you well. I'm sure you did a good job with your cousin. I had some chopper suits back in HS :smh:

Last edited:
Eh, I think there's a clear difference between needing something for an event and investing in a wardrobe staple.
I'm not saying to save for something else or not but your argument wasn't very well supported there.

managed to get the John Elliot stadium jacket at revolve for about $450; got the GapxGQ one last year but returned it bc wasnt loving the quality of the leather sleeves (even though it was heavier and warmer than the original JE Stadium); only con with this stadium jacket is not heavy/warm enough when weather dips into the low 40s unlike the heavy quality of the Golden Bear Varsites

:lol: wait did dude say he was on a timeline?

it's not that ridiculous to think maybe he might be willing to save up a bit to get a better quality item if he was not being rushed on that matter.

if $90 was really max and boots were needed ASAP, I apologize to him and all those I offended.

What's up fam, tryna get my fall wardrobe ready, just copped some desert boots, now I'm looking at these. What do y'all think? For $90, I think the quality is good enough, unless you all know something better for a similar price. 
I just see boots for the fall.

Good suggestion with MKI. I haven't seen them in person but it looks like a good option from the photos on END. I remember seeing them when they first added them to the site- almost pulled the trigger.

FYI, END ships via FedEx and sometimes you will have to pay customs.

How many of you have actually seen the chelsea boots that were posted in person to speak on the quality of them?  

I've seen this quite a bit in here, "I haven't actually handled that but this other thing is a better value" and it seems as if a lot of people in here jump on the train that if it's not X then it's not good enough..  It doesn't mean the flavor of the month you've chosen isn't good but the idea that it's the only option is absurd and if someone who may not have the money doesn't save up for it, they shouldn't buy anything instead until they can afford it.

@howfly2  asked about that specific pair or if there's another alternative if you all would recommend it around $90.  Point blank.  "Unless you all know something better for a similar price."  He thinks the quality is good enough, that's sufficient.  Until someone in here can truthfully say they've seen them or owned them and there's something wrong with them which is why he should avoid them, you're just reverting back to the herd mentality that seems prevalent in this thread.

For a laugh, go back and read the first few pages of this thread.  Think about how some of you were apparently adamant about what was right and what was wrong.  I also imagine that a number of the people who were posting at that time are no longer around but I wonder how many were no longer interested in contributing here because of the environment created.  

The more this kid dresses like Kanye, the more he gets hated like him too :lol: Mind you this kid just turned 23, he's going to have a slick mouth at times, fellas.

To be fair, there's been PLENTY of members who came in here and ask "I need a suit in 3 weeks and my max is $300" or "my man's wedding is coming up in a week and I need an outfit for cheap" or something along that line. When time is a factor, all of the answers that are given by members who reply were along with what you did...fast fashion, off the rack pieces. The backbone of this thread has always been getting pieces that fit you well. I'm sure you did a good job with your cousin. I had some chopper suits back in HS :smh:
I don't hate him. I just find it strange that someone who used to be all about dressing well on a budget has this elitist attitude now. When he was into the wearing suits for no reason thing, no one told him not to wear his cheaply made 100% polyester Express suit and to save up an extra $400 for Italian wool :lol:. I remember he had it well tailored and received compliments on it because of that, which proves your point about the fit being most important. Now the same person goes around bashing anything that doesn't cost half of an average person's paycheck.

And yea, I didn't help my cousin get a suit or anything. Just the bare minimum of a shirt, slacks, and shoes that fit well, and dude looked better than most of the grown men in their chopper suits. I only had a chopper tux from prom in HS :lol: wish I didn't get it 3 sizes too big, otherwise I could've gotten it tailored since I've stayed fit since then.

Last edited:
Ehh, I don't need them specifically for homecoming, but I'd like to get some by then. Honestly, the reason why I'm not tryna spend that much on the shoes is because I'm looking at a lot of other pieces as well. My pockets aren't that deep at all, but the way I see it, if I splurge a lil now and make sure the wardrobe for the fall/winter is right, then a good amount of the clothes I buy will last me for a while. That's why I'm looking for things at a bargain, I have a lot in mind and really I'm still developing my "style", so to speak. That's why I came in here to ask, because I know that y'all are very into fashion and have been doing this for awhile. Growing up all I could afford was the Goodwill lol, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Back
Top Bottom