DOES NIKETALK HAVE A PROBLEM WITH WOMEN?

No, I am NOT looking for an overnight change.

I am simply saying that the idea that people will watch women's sports because a man is telling them hw likes it or they should ia just a wild approach.

Again, we don't know what will work so I don't knock them for trying.

I am just saying that approach can be somewhat insulting and eventually regardless of what Kobe says, people will have to judge the product with their own eyes.

I

This is a gross oversimplification of what I brought up about Kobe. Promoting women's sports doesn't have to be as blatant as telling people to watch it.

For several reasons WNBA viewership in 2020 was one of the highest in their history. Looks promising.

People were locked up this past summer due to COVIDS.

I wouldn't trust those inflated figures at all.

This is a gross oversimplification of what I brought up about Kobe. Promoting women's sports doesn't have to be as blatant as telling people to watch it.
One of the more recent marketing plans had NBA players telling us why we should watch. To me, it came off as weird. So I am supposed to watch this because you told me to? Or because YOU like it? Is that the only reason? It was just weird to me and seemed so patronizing.

"Sick handles. Madd skills."

You can tell some corny white nerd wrote that script.

One of the more recent marketing plans had NBA players telling us why we should watch. To me, it came off as weird. So I am supposed to watch this because you told me to? Or because YOU like it? Is that the only reason? It was just weird to me and seemed so patronizing.

"Sick handles. Madd skills."

You can tell some corny white nerd wrote that script.

Lol I was talking specifically about kobe and you seem hung up about people blatantly telling you what to watch. There are other ways of promoting a sport that explicitly telling people to watch.

Lol I was talking specifically about kobe and you seem hung up about people blatantly telling you what to watch. There are other ways of promoting a sport that explicitly telling people to watch.
Kobe promoted Women's basketball more than he did the WNBA.

I figured we were discussing the WNBA and notthe levels below it since the convo started on Bird vs. Lebron.

Just some figures to throw out there

The 2018 and 2019 seasons each set the lowest average attendance in WNBA history (6,769 and 6,535). However, about half of the decline in attendance from 2017 to 2018 was due to the New York Liberty moving from 19,812-seat Madison Square Garden to the 5,000-seat Westchester County Center. While the Liberty had averaged over 9,000 fans in 2017, James Dolan, then the team's owner, noted that roughly half of the team's attendance in that season came from complimentary tickets.[91] Similarly in 2019, the Washington Mystics moved from the 20,356-seat Capital One Arena to the 4,111-seat St. Elizabeths East Entertainment and Sports Arena. The Las Vegas Aces and New York Liberty each saw double-digit percentage losses in 2019, but half of the league's teams saw attendance increases in that season, and the number of sellouts was the same in both seasons (41).[92]

On the 2008 season opening day (May 17), ABC broadcast the Los Angeles Sparks and Phoenix Mercury matchup to showcase new rookie sensation Candace Parker. The game received a little over 1 million viewers.

Ratings still remain poor in comparison to NBA games. In 2008, WNBA games averaged just 413,000 viewers, compared to 1.46 million viewers on ESPN and over 2.2 million on ABC for NBA games.[116] In addition, WNBA games have much poorer visibility, attendance, and ratings than NCAA games.[117] However, ESPN viewership grew 35% in 2018 over 2017.[118] This became the impetus for the multi-year partnership in which CBS Sports Network will broadcast live WNBA games beginning with the 2019 season.[119]

The problem with more promotion is that the interest isn’t there. Wnba just isn’t an exciting product. So, to spend a lot more money on promotion for a product not a lot of people are seeking, is just a short way to lose a lot of money. It’s hard when you look at business decisions from a social view.

Take all the emotional factors out and look at it from a business perspective. Is the time, money, and effort worth the gamble on this product? Is there a competing product out there that would take value away from this product? How strong is this product?

I don't think it is just "attractiveness" of the players that is causing people not to watch.

How many people are really watching lingerie football and that bikini basketball?

I wonder how popular WFA would be if it came on during the offseason of the NFL on Fox Sundays

There was growth way before covid. And the same year the wnba saw an increase in 2020 the nba numbers were plummeting :rofl::rofl:

Viewership is heavily tied to the amount of broadcasted games. And even with obvious disparities in games broadcasted the WNBA has actually been overachieving:pimp:

The problem with more promotion is that the interest isn’t there. Women’s basketball just isn’t an exciting product. So, to spend a lot more money on promotion for a product not a lot of people are seeking, is just a short way to lose a lot of money. It’s hard when you look at business decisions from a social view.

Take all the emotional factors out and look at it from a business perspective. Is the time, money, and effort worth the gamble on this product. Is there a competing product out there that would take value away from this product? How strong is this product?
Agreed.

Which is why I said the WNBA product being too much of a "LIte-NBA" product is the reason EYE find it hard to ever see it being anything more than a niche product.

It would be cool to see them gain more steam (viewership wise), which they have since 2017 but I don't know how far it can go.

Unless there is a talented woman that comes onto the scene that is as physically dominating and marketable as Serena Williams / Zion Williamson / LeBron James have been vs. their competition, I just can't imagine the league growing THAT much more.

But anything could happen.

Why do women have to shoot 3pter’s all the same way?

That isn't true at all.

I don't think it is just "attractiveness" of the players that is causing people not to watch.

How many people are really watching lingerie football and that bikini basketball?

I wonder how popular WFA would be if it came on during the offseason of the NFL on Fox Sundays

Having TALENTED people that are attractive can help, but like I said before, the product has to be sold. Eventually, the camera gets zoomed out and you aren't able to see that pretty face during the whole game.

I don't know anyone that watching those Half-Naked Women's Sports Leagues. The concept of them is kinda insulting but people are making money so I guess there is some benefit there.

The WFA would have to compete with the XFL. If anyone is going to watch low-level football, I don't think it would be the WFA.

The WFA would be even more of a drop-off from the NFL than the WNBA is to the NBA. (In terms of sheer physicality).

She isn't the "average person". It's OK if female athletes aren't ok with settling with being second fiddle to male ones. If everyone took this complacent approach black people would still be playing in the negro leagues for pennies. Nothing is stagnant in issue of equal representation. I literally care more about the women's final four right now than the men's.
Did I call her the average person or did I say she still makes more than the average person? Big difference there. As for the "complacent approach" angle you're trying to push, I've commented on this subject numerous times and stated that they need to market more and make changes in improving the product. Also, your comparison of the Negro League in baseball to WNBA is apples to oranges. No one has banned women from being able to play basketball. They are asking to be paid the same as their male counterparts despite not generating the same revenue.

The negro league was created because blacks were banned from being in stadiums. You couldn't watch the games nor could you be a part of them. The Negro league was created for black people. The Negro league did not have the resources the other major league had at the time which is why black players were underpaid compared to their counterparts in the other league. For the most part, their only demographic was black people who happened to be marginalized in society in every way possible. Obviously, if the other league can charge $2 a ticket to their white audience( who are able to easily afford it) whereas the Negro league was charging significantly less because their target demographic couldn't afford to pay the same amount and they were a fairly new product. On top of that, they needed to operate and still pay the players. When the league finally started to become successful financially, which would mean they would soon be able to pay the players a competitive wage, the other league started to "integrate" and bring in black players and black people which caused the Negro league to collapse financially.

If anything this is the problem. She should be a household if we're judging stats. Blame their/her marketing team.
Which is why when Draymond said they need to be visible in terms of marketing and to look at lowering the rim, I agreed.

LOL male or female if you don't know who Sue Bird is, you should get your bball fan-hood revoked. :smh:
Yes, because if not for NT, I would not know who Suebird is,. means that I should have this imaginary card revoked. And you will come take it from me. :rolleyes .
I know Brittany Briner, Maya Moore, Candace Parker, Skyler Diggins, Della Donne,etc but because I don't know who Suebird, I shouldn't be flogged.
Forgive me for not knowing who this deity is. I must atone for my sins.

Last edited:
The problem with more promotion is that the interest isn’t there. Wnba just isn’t an exciting product. So, to spend a lot more money on promotion for a product not a lot of people are seeking, is just a short way to lose a lot of money. It’s hard when you look at business decisions from a social view.

Take all the emotional factors out and look at it from a business perspective. Is the time, money, and effort worth the gamble on this product? Is there a competing product out there that would take value away from this product? How strong is this product?

Yea I mean cricket isn't exciting to me but it is the most popular sport in India. Baseball is boring as f and it is one of the most popular sports in this country. With time the popularity of sports can go up and down. I mean look at the popularity of MMA which wasn't mainstream years ago. I wouldn't put any league or sport into a box of "unpopularity".

I mean nobody used to watch men's pro soccer in this country and its popularity continues to rise because someone took a gamble.

Yea I mean cricket isn't exciting to me but it is the most popular sport in India. Baseball is boring as f and it is one of the most popular sports in this country. With time the popularity of sports can go up and down. I mean look at the popularity of MMA which wasn't mainstream years ago. I wouldn't put any league or sport into a box of "unpopularity".

I mean nobody used to watch men's pro soccer in this country and its popularity continues to rise because someone took a gamble.
we aren't talking about your personal interests though.
is women's cricket the most popular sport in india? no because men's cricket takes the value away from it. wnba isn't competing with any of these sports you listed. there is no correlation. wnba has to compete with the nba and college basketball. look at it from that perspective.
take all those sports you listed and put them up against their men's counterparts and thats the competition they are facing.

Which is why when Draymond said they need to be visible in terms of marketing and to look at lowering the rim, I agreed.

I still don't know where I stand on this.

In general, what does everyone HERE think about lowering the rim?

Explain your reasoning please.

For those of you that are saying, "The NBA needs to market the WNBA more."

Are you not seeing all the WNBA commercials that run during the NBA Playoffs on a year-to-year basis?

What else are you expecting?

The WNBA has a strong social media presence (for those in that bubble) so I honestly don't see a lack of promotion by the NBA like others see.

Help me understand please.

we aren't talking about your personal interests though.
is women's cricket the most popular sport in india? no because men's cricket takes the value away from it. wnba isn't competing with any of these sports you listed. there is no correlation. wnba has to compete with the nba and college basketball. look at it from that perspective.
take all those sports you listed and put them up against their men's counterparts and thats the competition they are facing.

I would hope we are doing better than Indian when it comes to gender equality in sports. There are female sports in this country that are more popular than the male counterparts eg. The women's soccer national team. So maleness should never inherently make a sport more popular. it's all about perception which is fueled by sexism.

LOL more popular, still earning less. This debunks every excuse made in this thread. They are supposedly less athletic yet garner more revenue, and are STILL paid less. :smh:

I’ve legit heard dudes say they can’t watch women’s basketball because they can’t dunk :lol: :smh:

Now when I watch women I can’t unsee the million layups. 75% of them misses btw.

Back
Top Bottom