Current State of the Sneaker Game

I buy nice sneakers

if no nice sneakers drop, I save $.

I couldn't care less about wack sneakers, I just laugh at the kids that collect the current trash.

I've been hearing about the sneaker bubble bursting soon for about 10 years now. Hasn't popped yet.

Granted, I'll still love sneakers when it does. But folks thinking it'll get back to normal soon are in for a rude awakening.

Thank Instagram and Twitter for that. Instant e-props, aka "likes", equals dudes beasting over the newest/latest. I don't see things slowing down for awhile.

but I do still love sneakers. Just kind of ignore everything right now since it isn't worth my time. I can't compete with all the people who want these and are willing to camp out for GR. I will someday own all my grails though, regardless of how much Yeezy's will be going for then.

the KD V DMV's sat......i bought them wayy after the RD, felt great....shoe's still sit

if a sneaker is that hard to get...it's not worth it to me

to me sneaker conventions are what messed up the sneaker culture 
the dudes make all sneaker enthusiants look like hypebeast resellers. and the people that proclaim themselves to be "sneakerheadz" are hypebeast resellers.
real sneaker culture is about collecting your favorite shoes and learning about the history not about wearing your "ultra rare super saiyan heat" for one day to show off to guys at a convention where people sell overpriced sneakers. **** is corny to me 

sneaker conventions / DXC's were always cool to me

yeah there were resellers, but there were always deals ....plus just bein around all the shoes u would never see on an ordinary day was awesome idc ...i havent been to one in years but i want to go to one soon

to me sneaker conventions are what messed up the sneaker culture 
the dudes make all sneaker enthusiants look like hypebeast resellers. and the people that proclaim themselves to be "sneakerheadz" are hypebeast resellers.
real sneaker culture is about collecting your favorite shoes and learning about the history not about wearing your "ultra rare super saiyan heat" for one day to show off to guys at a convention where people sell overpriced sneakers. **** is corny to me 

sneaker conventions / DXC's were always cool to me

yeah there were resellers, but there were always deals ....plus just bein around all the shoes u would never see on an ordinary day was awesome idc ...i havent been to one in years but i want to go to one soon

Idk fam, I must of just grown out of it because 3 years ago I would have loved being at one. I know you remember from when we were trying to unite to cop Yeezys and Galaxy foams :lol:

It just really isn't the same for me anymore. Most of the shoes I know see as a thing of no importance. If I were to go to one of these DXC today, it would be like looking at stamps or something. Don't get me wrong, there's still a special place in my heart for all the shoes I wanted and never had growing up. Other than those, I stay rocking Vans and my Lunarglides.

they pump out so many "rare" shoes nowadays that there are tons of people who have a bunch of super limited, or even unreleased, pairs. rare has become common. doesn't help that most of these guys are kooks and most modern collectors are dumbasses who truly believe that a shoe is exponentially more desireable based on how many were made.

Don't believe the hype, i swear almost most the sneakers that come out are just trash!
Only a handful of sneakers these day's make me say "on crip cuh...these are dope sneakers"

I've been hearing about the sneaker bubble bursting soon for about 10 years now. Hasn't popped yet.

Granted, I'll still love sneakers when it does. But folks thinking it'll get back to normal soon are in for a rude awakening.

Thank Instagram and Twitter for that. Instant e-props, aka "likes", equals dudes beasting over the newest/latest. I don't see things slowing down for awhile.

To me its ready popped before though. If you recall, around 04-05 alot of stuff was selling out including stuff that in normal situations probably wouldn't have sold out like some of the x and xiv colorways that came out in 05.

Just a few years prior in 03, all the xii retros could be had rather easily.

Fast forward to around 07 and the black metallic 5's were easy to be had, the aquas and playoff 8's say long enough to be had on ftl emoloyee apreciation weekends for $75. Hell the aquas sold for pretty low prices on here for a while as well. Most the foams that dropped in 07 went on sale or were easy to get, aside from the 6/17 and 11/11 packs, the cdp's were easy to get and ended up going on sale, the white red xii's from 09 went on sale, the penny II colorways and pippens from 08 sat and got marked down.

All this stuff would've been considered "heat" and brought the beasts out if it dropped around 2012-13.

From about 06-11 anything that wasnt super limited or a Jordan xi was easily obtainable. Sure stuff sold but alot of stuff got marked down.

When you consider how much stuffs been releasing in such a short time I could see the saturation of the market causing stuff to eventually sit again.

Aside from that, buying and collecting sneakers isn't a cheap hobby. Unless you make a real good income, have no responsibilities, or mommy and daddy buy your shoes, its tough to keep up with everything coming out.

Alot of people buy their shoes on credit as well and when the bills rack up, try to start moving stuff to pay things off.

Between the oversaturaion of the market and alot of people buying excessive sneakers out of their means and later selling them to pay the bills I could see this "sneakerhead" phase cooling off and things being easier to get again.

I doubt if will go back to how it was in 07 but I could see it being easy to get stuff again without unnecessary hassles within the next year or so.

When i first discovered nt i was like :wow:

There was hardly any other sneaker websites and i liked it that way.

I wonder wat people think wen they discover nt for the first time today.

Last edited:
The bubble popped once when the SB craze died: from like 2006-2009 sneakers were pretty easy to secure

OP I'm still waiting on that tagged collection being such an OG enthusiast I bet you got some heat

Dead now since you can't wear too many sneakers with the whole dressing better movement.

:lol:

just seen a dude yesterday wearing big *** bulky foams with a low rise slim pants

i still see dude throw on jordans or other nikes with a "dressing better" type style all the time

Bubbles not bursting

It might have peeks and valleys, but you can't compare it to pokemon cards. Sneakers are something everyone wears. It's not a fad.

The people who moved from SB's or Uptowns didn't move away from sneakers.

You might have people move to Asics, New Balance, Reebok or Saucony...but really they will probably pop before Nike or JB, because a lot of their demand is collaboration based and they're spitting so many out.

Serious question...

Does it bother some of y'all?

I guess I'm just so rarely around teenagers, it doesn't really have an impact...

See some Jays... Meh... If I miss them I mias them... If I really want to cop, pay resell prices...

No need to be upset... Who's buying retros to hoop in seriously, anyway?

I started out in the Jordan section lurking, way before my join date. I found my passion of collecting kicks, threw NT. now a days I care more about niketalk, than I do collecting Js. I ain't payin more than 120 for kicks, unless they're grails. I still love sneakers tho. when I was a youngbol I was all about Jordan forum nike forum now I only mess wit general.

Funny how my passion for shoes fell off, while evolving on niketalk threw the process.. As you get older, your horizons widen

To me its ready popped before though. If you recall, around 04-05 alot of stuff was selling out including stuff that in normal situations probably wouldn't have sold out like some of the x and xiv colorways that came out in 05.

Just a few years prior in 03, all the xii retros could be had rather easily.

Fast forward to around 07 and the black metallic 5's were easy to be had, the aquas and playoff 8's say long enough to be had on ftl emoloyee apreciation weekends for $75. Hell the aquas sold for pretty low prices on here for a while as well. Most the foams that dropped in 07 went on sale or were easy to get, aside from the 6/17 and 11/11 packs, the cdp's were easy to get and ended up going on sale, the white red xii's from 09 went on sale, the penny II colorways and pippens from 08 sat and got marked down.

All this stuff would've been considered "heat" and brought the beasts out if it dropped around 2012-13.

From about 06-11 anything that wasnt super limited or a Jordan xi was easily obtainable. Sure stuff sold but alot of stuff got marked down.

When you consider how much stuffs been releasing in such a short time I could see the saturation of the market causing stuff to eventually sit again.

Aside from that, buying and collecting sneakers isn't a cheap hobby. Unless you make a real good income, have no responsibilities, or mommy and daddy buy your shoes, its tough to keep up with everything coming out.

Alot of people buy their shoes on credit as well and when the bills rack up, try to start moving stuff to pay things off.

Between the oversaturaion of the market and alot of people buying excessive sneakers out of their means and later selling them to pay the bills I could see this "sneakerhead" phase cooling off and things being easier to get again.

I doubt if will go back to how it was in 07 but I could see it being easy to get stuff again without unnecessary hassles within the next year or so.
2004-2005 was a long time ago, but if I remember right, everything sold out online (I only copped from NDC) eventually.  You just had to make sure you were up and ready to buy within 10 or 15 minutes of them going live.  It was nothing like it is now with sizes being gone within literally seconds.  

You're right about '03 though.  I grabbed 2 pairs of Cement 3s from NDC over the PHONE.  No way that'd happen today.  But again, they still sold out within 30-45 minutes of going live.  

And yeah the Black Metallic V's were also a cakewalk.  Grabbed 1 pair with ease from NDC and then woke up and went to Richard's Sporting Goods and got another.  Got to the parking lot 10 minutes before they opened, migrated from the car to the entrance about 5 minutes before they opened the doors along with about 20 other heads and got a pair with ease.  

I can't really comment on J's after that though.  I've only bought 2 pairs since the '07 Black Metallic V's (the Concords and Black/Red IVs), and they both got sold a month or so later.  
Serious question...

Does it bother some of y'all?

I guess I'm just so rarely around teenagers, it doesn't really have an impact...

See some Jays... Meh... If I miss them I mias them... If I really want to cop, pay resell prices...

No need to be upset... Who's buying retros to hoop in seriously, anyway?
Do I stay up at night mad about the way the culture has been bastardized?  Naw.

Do I really care what anyone else wears or cops?  Naw.

Is it the end of the world that sneakers are such a huge commodity right now?  Naw.

But when you've grown up a certain way and then see that way of life start changing for the worse, yes, it can bother you.  To see what this sneaker thing has become does irk me at times, but I don't sit around and dwell on it. 

And it's bigger than Jordans or retros now, btw.  Check out the LeBron thread.  

need a reality check on the current status of shoes?

step one) go on your local FB group
step two) post a pair of solid respectable shoes up, and put FOR TRADE
step three) notice the age of the people who PM you
step four) watch the offers of "crimson 3s" and "black grapes" come in :smh:

need a reality check on the current status of shoes?

step one) go on your local FB group
step two) post a pair of solid respectable shoes up, and put FOR TRADE
step three) notice the age of the people who PM you
step four) watch the offers of "crimson 3s" and "black grapes" come in :smh:

True. It got annoying when id put stuff on iss or just by word of mouth saying i want straight up $$$$$$.

Then I get straight up trade offers

laugh.gif
@ people getting frustrated over the terms sneaker head or sneaker game.

Don't let another man's slang upset you.

Back
Top Bottom