Black Culture Discussion Thread

The level to which Orlando's used Markeith Loyd as a prize dog has been disturbing. Don't agree or disagree with Ayala but the talking heads unprofessionalism made her a target

Rick scott smug *** especially  

We aren't even close to profiting off ourselves nearly as much as old white men are. They are giving us the crumbs that fall off the table that the dog doesn't lick up first.

Here's to wishing Hell will freeze over
It ain't just old white dudes. Black people are the engine that drives so many industries it's not even funny.

Marie & Katrina are graduate students in Chemistry & Environmental Science at @DukeU. #marchforscience

C-BkPLXXcAE5Q9G.jpg

[h1]The Political Economy of Education, Financial Literacy, and the Racial Wealth Gap[/h1]
[h3]  [/h3]
[h3]Abstract[/h3]
This article examines the mismatch between the political discourse around individual agency, education, and financial literacy, and the actual racial wealth gap. The authors argue that the racial wealth gap is rooted in socioeconomic and political structure barriers rather than a disdain for or underachievement in education or financial literacy on the part of Black Americans, as might be suggested by the conventional wisdom. Also, the article presents a stratification economic lens as an alternative to the conventional wisdom to better understand why the racial wealth gap persists.

Keywords: J15, Z13

Suggested Citation:

Hamilton, Darrick and Darity, William A., The Political Economy of Education, Financial Literacy, and the Racial Wealth Gap (2017). Review, Vol. 99, Issue 1, pp. 59-76, 2017. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=2918735 or http://dx.doi.org/10.20955/r.2017.59-76
You can download the entire article in the link provided.

^ dope, Ima read that at work tomorrow

what is blackgirlmagic?

I'm not on Twitter so I don't understandthe reference.

^good looking out. Ima check that out later.

seems to be all about positive vibes so I can feel that.

C-QflqLXYAA3Zum.jpg
On this day in 2002 the world lost an angel, Lisa "Lefteye" Lopes of TLC. Her body rest in Atlanta. [emoji]128546[/emoji]

Last edited:
i dont like the idea of "picking battles"

in a war you dont decide over every person you shoot to kill

get outraged at everything so nothing slips by

Anyone else see the whole Shea Moisture controversy? Shea Butter Twitter call to arms ..
laugh.gif

idk about this man.. these twitter activists need to pick their battles

http://thegrapevine.theroot.com/black-women-are-upset-over-sheamoistures-new-whitewashi-1794603970
Haven't seen the vid, and can't watch now since I'm at work, but I'd like to say in there are a lot of battles that don't have to be fought but I'm not too mad at this one. As long as we don't drop our support for SM then I feel this is a good way to keep companies like them aware that we are watching and that everything means something to us

This isn't one I'd file under pick your battles. They know who they are and who their supporters are. The first major ad campaign I've seen from them and this is who they represent? They should be ashamed.

Last edited:
This isn't one I'd file under pick your battles. They know who they are and who their supporters are. The first major ad campaign I've seen from them and this is who they represent? They should be ashamed.

ashamed? did you watch the vid?? as a business should they limit their appeal/products to only black women? do they 'owe' it to their existing consumer base of black women to advertise in a specifically caters to & displays black women? insofar as they continue to serve the black consumers base, what is the real issue? i read the article before seeing the ad, the article and the twitter quotes made it out as though the ad was geared singularly towards white women (most businesses eventually do broaden & target specific new consumers; sometimes it is a completely different consumer)...as far what the company has said publicly, they aren't changing their existing products, only adding to what they offer...

the article made it a point that saying black folk ALREADY spend MUCH MUCH more on haircare products than the broader population, but we only make up somewhere around 12%-15% of the country, which is to say the obvious, that there is a potentially a large market they are not reaching...given the business climate where companies are chasing growth, it makes sense that they'd try to broaden the consumers they market to rather than only offer new products to their existing customer/consumer base...it is math that most every business has to find balance between their core & new consumer segments...

of course, the implicit problem i think people have with this is the optics of it...seemingly putting on for white folk (maybe) at the expense of seeing more, or even an explicitly black representation in a larger branding campaign...but i guess the question is it acceptable for a business that built its brand off of an explicitly black consumer then use that same brand to appeal more broadly outside of black consumers? almost as a rule, companies will create a completely new brand in these type situations, but perhaps they saw more value in trying to be inclusive? i just don't get why this is an issue...

no one said they cant diversify

but they did it to the exclusion of their main consumer base

they could have white girls in the commercial

just represent all types of black girls instead of three white girls and a biracial/ethnically ambiguous girl

they really couldnt have had any darkskinned/curlier haired girls in their FIRST NATIONAL CAMPAIGN?

no one said they cant diversify

but they did it to the exclusion of their main consumer base

they could have white girls in the commercial

just represent all types of black girls instead of three white girls and a biracial/ethnically ambiguous girl

they really couldnt have had any darkskinned/curlier haired girls in their FIRST NATIONAL CAMPAIGN?

are we seeing the same vid? unless i'm missing something, the vid linked above has an androgynous looking white woman, a biracial?/light-skin woman, a south asian/indian woman, and a dark skinned woman?

that must be the response commercial

the first one was three white women and a biracial/ethnically ambiguous chick

A haircare company in which the majority clientele is black but a commercial that doesn't represent that population is a f up in their behalf.

Back
Top Bottom