Black Culture Discussion Thread

View media item 2387898

also interesting when you watch mob movies and the non Italians call Italians guineas.

which lead to Italians referring to themselves as guineas in those films.

sounds like amelioration to me. but god forbid black people try that samething.

So if I watch a movie about black folks, then I can safely assume that that's how they all act :lol:

Never referred to my friends by those words :smh:

Edit: And I understand it if folks in here don't wanna hear it, but Italians faced a good amount of discrimination themselves and were considered non-white by many. Not nearly what black folks have gone through, but it certainly wasn't a picnic.

Last edited:
I'm in here to vent y'all I'm now labeled as the angry black man at work. I get upset just like everyone else but since I'm black and show my frustration it's an issue. Hr asked me do I need to to talk to someone or take anger management classes. I guess that's what happens at a corporate workplace.

View media item 2387898

also interesting when you watch mob movies and the non Italians call Italians guineas.

which lead to Italians referring to themselves as guineas in those films.

sounds like amelioration to me. but god forbid black people try that samething.

what is the map of? and not sure i understand what is in the bold...

So if I watch a movie about black folks, then I can safely assume that that's how they all act :lol:

Edit: And I understand it if folks in here don't wanna hear it, but Italians faced a good amount of discrimination themselves and were considered non-white by many. Not nearly what black folks have gone through, but it certainly wasn't a picnic.

definitely agree, the images created by media do not necessarily reflect what/who they depict but it does play a part in how actions/people/things may be perceived...and there is no question that almost every immigrant group has had been discriminated against & classified as 'other' but as you stated, there really isn't 'nearly what black folks have gone through,' so why even make the comparison/bring it up?

I'm in here to vent y'all I'm now labeled as the angry black man at work. I get upset just like everyone else but since I'm black and show my frustration it's an issue. Hr asked me do I need to to talk to someone or take anger management classes. I guess that's what happens at a corporate workplace.

well corporate is much politic...can't speak for your specific situation, learning how to pick the battles and/or decide if the battle is worth fighting and if it would be still be worth it if you lose, some people/personalities get more runway than others but it is an easy to get labeled 'difficult' when showing frustration in the workplace...

The post was about amelioration. It was showing how people take a bad name and turn it into something endearing.

sugafree sugafree yea people definitely dont like being called a racial slur.

and let's not forget that Guinea and ***** are on the opposite sides of popularity in the US. One, ive only heard in movies while the other is mainstream.

bruh i used movies as an example. if they weren't calling each other guineas in real life why would it be incorporated into films about them?

the very fact the term guinea was used in reference to Italians and other darker Europeans is exactly what i am talking about. You adding that edit is only supporting my point.

i was talking about mob films not any everyday Italian person.

This is around the 7th video I have seen in the past month where white or Asian males are publicly beating up Black women with impunity pic.twitter.com/ETAwYI570n
mean.gif

Gotta be passive aggressive my dude, think chess, not checkers. Don't let em see u upset because years of media and societal conditioning has them thinking everything you do that's not "docile" is a form of aggression.

How many black folk can do that and get into Stanford? Dude is smart though, I'll give him that. Use black folks struggle to advance yaself and when you get to where you wanna go, leave em behind. Seen that story too many times to count and many of us don't see the problem.

Ask yaself this question, how is it so many people can profit off of our struggle more than us?

How many black folk can do that and get into Stanford? Dude is smart though, I'll give him that. Use black folks struggle to advance yaself and when you get to where you wanna go, leave em behind. Seen that story too many times to count and many of us don't see the problem.

Ask yaself this question, how is it so many people can profit off of our struggle more than us?

i'm guessing the homie has some other qualifications, as he had also been accepted at both princeton & yale as well...and not that i accept the premise, but to flip the question, would it be cool for black folk to profit off the black struggle? wouldn't it, arguably, be worse?

i'm guessing the homie has some other qualifications, as he had also been accepted at both princeton & yale as well...and not that i accept the premise, but to flip the question, would it be cool for black folk to profit off the black struggle? wouldn't it, arguably, be worse?
I read an article about him being involved in non-profit work in the muslim community and working for Hilary. So he does have the resume. But it isn't one that countless others don't have who are doing that kind of work.

To your question, Is it cool for black people profit off of their own struggle? I think so. Our ancestors and elders didn't sacrifice their lives, blood, and sweat for nothing. They did that so we could progress. So yes I do think Black people should profit off their own labor.

I could be wrong, but I think the question you were trying to pose was one of exploitation. When you frame it that way then were having a different conversation.

I read an article about him being involved in non-profit work in the muslim community and working for Hilary. So he does have the resume. But it isn't one that countless others don't have who are doing that kind of work.

To your question, Is it cool for black people profit off of their own struggle? I think so. Our ancestors and elders didn't sacrifice their lives, blood, and sweat for nothing. They did that so we could progress. So yes I do think Black people should profit off their own labor.

I could be wrong, but I think the question you were trying to pose was one of exploitation. When you frame it that way then were having a different conversation.

well you put the question out, just wondered if in general sense the 'who' that is doing the profiting really even mattered if it is based on the struggle of another...

'black struggle" is a kinda loaded term, so i maybe put the cart in front the proverbial horse there...but who (but maybe the most crony of capitalists or rent seeking business folk) would say anyone shouldn't profit off their own labor? and is it the case that kid above is 'profiting' off the 'labor' of black folk?

well you put the question out, just wondered if in general sense the 'who' that is doing the profiting really even mattered if it is based on the struggle of another...

'black struggle" is a kinda loaded term, so i maybe put the cart in front the proverbial horse there...but who (but maybe the most crony of capitalists or rent seeking business folk) would say anyone shouldn't profit off their own labor? and is it the case that kid above is 'profiting' off the 'labor' of black folk?
When it comes to profiting it all depends on intent and to what gain.

If a person profits with "pure" or positive intent I can see it being acceptable or "victimless". ie a student who writes an essay about life in the hood on his college application to help himself further his education to be able to give back to his community

But if a person has the intent to use that struggle to cash out then it becomes a problem. ie a preacher who tells his congregation to give give give and pockets the money for his own possessions and gains while not tending to those in need 

he's "profiting" off the struggle as much as prinecton is using his acceptance and advertising the fact he wrote that on his essay and they accepted him

&
Chicago Judge Shot and Killed Outside of His South Side Home – blogged by @MsJennyb ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Early this morning, officers responded to a call of shots fired in the South Side of #Chicago. When the officers arrived, they found two individuals with gunshot wounds, a 52-year-old woman with a leg injury and 66-year-old man, who has been identified as Associate Judge #RaymondMyles. Both individuals were transported to a nearby hospital, where Myles was pronounced dead. However, the woman remains in serious condition and her relationship with the judge remains unclear. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ According to reports, the incident occurred after the woman approached someone with a gun outside of the judge's home. The two individuals reportedly exchanged words before the shooter pulled the trigger, striking the woman in the leg. Myles heard the gunfire and approached the situation, exchanging words with the shooter as well. However, shortly afterwards, the judge was shot multiple times. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ The suspect, who has been described as a black male, fled the scene. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ A neighbor in the area explained the situation from their point of view, saying “I heard maybe six shots. The shots woke me up, and the screaming of a woman woke me up. She was screaming, ‘Don’t kill him, don’t kill him!” ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Officials say, Myles has worked on several high-profile cases, including the 2008 murder of #JenniferHudson’s mother, brother and nephew, when he sent #WilliamBalfour to jail without bond. According to reports, he was also attacked in 2015 after a traffic incident, however the motive for the Monday morning shooting has yet to be determined. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ The incident is under investigation and is being classified as a homicide. Officials are casing the area, reviewing multiple cameras in the vicinity to identify a vehicle the shooter may have used to escape. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ “You have our word that we will not let his life be lost in vain,” 1st Deputy Superintendent Kevin Navarro said of the tragedy.

A post shared by Baller Alert (@balleralert) on Apr 10, 2017 at 1:00pm PDT
judge-myles-photo-e1491841404900.jpg

Last edited:

I think in cases like these given the context of African American struggle in this country that began 400 years ago and still persists to this day, I think the "who" matters greatly when it comes to benefiting off the labor of our ancestors and elders. in that context we can describe "Black struggle", "African American struggle", etc  as a catch all phrase to describe the material conditions of black people in this country.

Seeing that black people still lack proper access to adequate housing, employment, education, lack adequate tools to build wealth, and have been locked out for decades from acquiring these things wholesale like others who freely immigrated here, yes; who benefits is a question that we don't ask often enough. I linked some studies and data from the EPI (Economic Policy Institute) a few pages back to give you an idea what I'm talking about here.

but the question I posed can go into a lot of different directions given the circumstances. But I really want people to ask themselves who is gaining the most from black people's work? And what are they giving us in return?

So in this case, this young man is profiting off of black people's labor.

Back
Top Bottom