Black Culture Discussion Thread

C-xQfcXXYAYiGVQ.jpg:large

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/05/col...e-suits-outside-a-new-york-city-parole-office

possible progress
[h5]  [/h5][h5]Ex-Officer Who Shot Walter Scott Pleads Guilty in Charleston[/h5]
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/02/...ter-scott-north-charleston-shooting.html?_r=0

CHARLESTON, S.C. — More than two years after a North Charleston, S.C., police officer fired eight rounds to the back of a fleeing and unarmed black motorist whose burst of gunfire was recorded on video, the officer stood in a federal courtroom on Tuesday to plead guilty to charges that he violated the slain man’s civil rights.

The plea by the officer, Michael T. Slager, assured a rare conviction of a law enforcement official for an on-duty killing, and it left him facing the possibility of life in prison for the April 2015 shooting of Walter L. Scott. Mr. Slager pleaded guilty to a single charge of willfully using excessive force to deprive Mr. Scott of his civil rights.
The plea deal effectively resolves all of the pending charges against Mr. Slager, 35, who had also been indicted on a charge of murder in state court. While the arrangement offers certain benefits to Mr. Slager, such as a possible reduction under federal sentencing guidelines for acceptance of responsibility, the agreement is mostly a victory for people who have spent years raising alarms about police conduct in the nation.

Under the plea agreement, prosecutors will ask the court to apply sentencing guidelines that in effect would be for a second-degree murder charge. Notably, the deal expressly allows prosecutors to urge Judge David C. Norton, who did not immediately set a sentencing hearing, to order Mr. Slager to spend the rest of his life in prison

Last edited:
I'm no conspiracy theorist but he died the same way Darren Seals died and police are calling this a suicide. Something is definitely fishy about this. Rest In Power King.

[h1]This Teen's Dad Told Her She Was Dead To Him For Going To Prom With A Black Friend[/h1]
sub-buzz-6754-1493997381-5.png

Anna Hayes is a high school senior from a small town in southern Arkansas called Lake Village. She told BuzzFeed News that racism is a big issue in her community.

"Sadly enough, people are still racist everywhere around the world, but in the South, it is much worse," she said.

Unfortunately, Anna said that bigotry extends to her own family. Her father has been openly racist as long as she can remember "for unknown reasons," she said. 

Anna lived with her father for some time when she was younger after her parents divorced, but moved back in with her mother when she was a young teenager.

Since then, she and her father have not had much of a relationship, she said.

"He had always been openly racist around me when I was growing up in his household, but it never really occurred to me what it exactly meant to be racist, when you're a child you look at the world completely different," she said.

She added that her father's views are especially hurtful because her half-sister on her mom's side is biracial, so the issue is personal for them.

"He has told me that if I ever dated a black guy that I will and would be dead to him," she said. "I stood my ground for what I believe in. He has called me several horrible things before."

Last week was Anna's prom, and she asked her friend Phillip Freeman to be her date. 

original-grid-image-7366-1493998566-3.jpg

original-grid-image-7366-1493998567-8.jpg

"He is just a close friend and he's super cute so I asked him to go to prom with me," Anna said of Phillip. "He is a great guy, he's really funny."

After the dance, both Anna and Phillip shared photos of their night on Facebook. Afterwards, Anna said she got the below messages from her father. 

Anna said that she hadn't told her father about her prom because "he isn't really a part of anything that I do."

When she got the messages, she said she felt "incredibly sad" and said she didn't see this coming, despite her dad's past comments.

"This just hurt more because I can not believe how anyone can hate someone they don't even know because of their skin color," she said.

She added that her mother was shocked as well.

"My mother was horrified and felt terrible but there isn't anything she can do," she said.

BuzzFeed News has reached out to Anna's father for comment.

Anna sent the messages to Phillip, who told BuzzFeed News that as he read them, he got "more and more angry." He shared them on his Facebook page, and the photos soon went viral on multiple social media accounts. 

https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniem...s-teen-who-was?utm_term=.wy1yJ9Qwd#.peBa2YO6P

Last edited:
Subhumans? [emoji]128580[/emoji][emoji]127770[/emoji] Last I checked Africans are the only pure humans, but I'll leave that alone.

Tariq going in on this episode. :pimp:

Yep. He really came with it in this and the Richard Spencer debate. [emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji]

This ain't **** but a war family. Stay ready. [emoji]128299[/emoji]

Last edited:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion...-resentment/iVNtB9fpr3JNm7IKfYyorK/story.html

House Republicans are taking health services away from disabled children, women who give birth, and survivors of rape and sexual assault. They are consigning thousands of people with serious illnesses to death by making them uninsurable in an era of unaffordable treatment. Virtually every reputable medical organization in the country condemns the health care bill that passed the House Thursday, but the GOP clings to two reasons for passing it.

First, Republicans claim that the new legislation provides economic benefits. These benefits are unclear, though reports suggest that they entail a transfer of resources from vulnerable people to rich people. The bill passed the House without a score from the Congressional Budget Office, so we can dismiss any economic justification for it without further discussion. Passing the bill without a score from the CBO is a signal that Republican legislators are not taking the economic dimensions of this issue seriously, so we can follow their lead and move on to the heart of the matter.

The other explanation given by House Republicans for passing the bill is political. These congressmen felt they had to repeal the Affordable Care Act because they promised to do so. Most Americans have no quibble with Obamacare itself, but for Republicans, repealing it is and always has always been a way to repudiate former president Barack Obama. Since taking office, President Trump has done several things that he previously chastised Obama for, but these contradictions have had little impact on his party or their supporters. This is largely because GOP voters’ disdain for Obama and support for Trump cannot be separated from findings about racism. Studies conducted after the election confirm that racial resentment directed toward people of color predicted both overall support for Trump and voters’ propensity to switch from Obama to Trump.

GOP voters know they don’t like Obama, but they do not know Obama’s legislative record, whether it pertains to the economic recovery or health care legislation. A December 2016 poll showed that 67 percent of Trump voters believed that unemployment had risen during Obama’s tenure, even though it dramatically declined. A February 2017 poll found that one third of all Americans did not even know that Obamacare and the Affordable Care Act were the same thing. Over half of the Republicans in that poll did not know whether Medicaid would be impacted by repealing Obamacare. Medicaid will be gutted by the new bill.

So the naked truth is that racial resentment directed toward Obama set off a chain of events that will likely cause 20 million people to lose their health insurance and ignite a public health crisis of unimaginable consequence. Some time ago, I wrote about one of the myths of white supremacy: the idea that its ill effects are limited to targeted groups. I explained, “What white supremacy does, eventually, is normalize and spread the abuse, trauma, and destruction initially prescribed for targeted groups.” The damage prescribed by hateful ideologies is most severe within targeted groups, but it is never contained.

Financially secure people who criminalize and denigrate poor people for being born poor do not understand the threat that poverty poses to their own health. Those who hate and traumatize women and LGBT people do not understand how sick their idea of manhood is, and the threat that such toxic masculinity poses to their own health. Those who dehumanize people of color and people who worship different gods do not understand that ethnic cleansing is never complete. It requires the constant conjuring of new witches to hunt and more wood for the pyre, starting a fire that burns down the whole village.

Perhaps this legislative catastrophe will result in new understanding about the infectious capacity and true danger of racism, sexism, and the unmoored pursuit of profit. Disease, gruesome suffering, and undignified death are powerful forces that can redraw moral lines. But hoping for this moral awakening — for the authors of this bill and their colleagues in the Senate to suddenly realize the error of their ways — is a grave mistake. We cannot count on those who literally toast to the death of their constituents to reverse course before or after the legislation is finalized.

House Republicans refuse to be our caretakers, so we must care for each other. We must continue to call our representatives, continue to march, and prepare to vote for our lives in 2018.

Last edited:
Subhumans? [emoji]128580[/emoji][emoji]127770[/emoji] Last I checked Africans are the only pure humans, but I'll leave that alone.

Tariq going in on this episode. :pimp:

Yep. He really came with it in this and the Richard Spencer debate. [emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji]

This ain't **** but a war family. Stay ready. [emoji]128299[/emoji]

Dude got off the phone quick. :lol: Tariq be on point.

Richard Spencer doesn't care if he looks bad in a debate or discussion. Roland Martin straight up teared him up for longer and he didn't care, and Tariq is not a very good debater for anyone to get tripped up by him.

Spencer just does this buffoonery to raise his profile with his stans. He doesn't care about sounding intelligent, he doesn't care about winning the argument, he just wants exposure. W. Kamau Bell pointed this out about Spencer; he went to a white supremacist convention to interview people and no one wanted to talk to him. But Spencer was ready, willing and happy to talk.

I would have just hung up on dude.

Last edited:
It's not about winning a debate. There are black people out there that don't see a connection between the current president, these police murders and groups like the alt right. While there may not be a written plan that racists are following after all meeting up at the latest hate convention, there is an underlying ideology that a lot of our people are ignoring and Tariq is putting it out there straight from one of their spokesman's mouth.

Rather than Tariq interpret the information and have people say he's reaching, he went straight to the source.

Last edited:
As much as I disliked Chuck running his mouth like a **** and didn't want to watch, Race seems like a cool show. If it's genuine, props to him taking a step back to shut up and learn.

Actually nvm, ended with him talking that "we gotta do better" ****. :lol: Baltimore got in his ***.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom