Barack Obama wins nobel peace prize

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

In all honesty, He shouldnt have won.

Sima Samar, women's rights activist in Afghanistan: "With dogged persistence and at great personal risk, she kept her schools and clinics open in Afghanistan even during the most repressive days of the Taliban regime, whose laws prohibited the education of girls past the age of eight. When the Taliban fell, Samar returned to Kabul and accepted the post of Minister for Women's Affairs."

Ingrid Betancourt: French-Colombian ex-hostage held for six years.

"Dr. Denis Mukwege: Doctor, founder and head of Panzi Hospital in Bukavu, Democratic Republic of Congo. He has dedicated his life to helping Congolese women and girls who are victims of gang rape and brutal sexual violence."

Handicap International and Cluster Munition Coalition: "These organizations are recognized for their consistently serious efforts to clean up cluster bombs, also known as land mines. Innocent civilians are regularly killed worldwide because the unseen bombs explode when stepped upon."

"Hu Jia, a human rights activist and an outspoken critic of the Chinese government, who was sentenced last year to a three-and-a-half-year prison term for 'inciting subversion of state power.'"

"Wei Jingsheng, who spent 17 years in Chinese prisons for urging reforms of China's communist system. He now lives in the United States."

You really follow the Nobel that closely or did you just steal this from something some crazy right-winger threw up? I couldn't tell you a single otherwinner off the top of my head, let alone the nominees who didn't win.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Originally Posted by elgrenas

Are people really this mad and upset that our President won the Nobel Peace Prize?? How un-american or un-patriotic can you be, just sad.

not mad or salty just give it somebody who HAS really done something. seriously what a joke oh wait he got for redistributing our money to the poor
roll.gif

Unless you personally were one of the nominees or you know one of the nominees that were in contention I don't see how you can complain.

[h1]How to Win the Nobel Peace Prize In 12 Days[/h1]
Let's take a look at the president's first 12 days in the White House according to his public schedule to see what he did to deserve a Nobel PeacePrize.

• print
  • Email
  • /static/fn2/ws/img/check.gif recommend (24)
/static/fn2/ws/img/font-dec.jpg /static/fn2/ws/img/aaa-blue.jpg/static/fn2/ws/img/font-inc.jpg

Editor's Note: Although President Obama had only been in office for 12 days before the nominations for this year's Nobel Peace prize closed the entire process actually takes a full year. According to the official Nobel Prize Web site invitation letters are sent out in September. Every year, the Norwegian Nobel Committee sends out thousands of letters inviting a qualified and select number of people to submit their nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize. The deadline to submit nominations is February 1. -- Two hundred five names were submitted for the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize, 33 of which are organizations. A short list of nominees is prepared in February and March. The short list is subject to adviser review from March until August. At the beginning of October, the Nobel Committee chooses the Nobel Peace Prize Laureates through a majority vote. The decision is final and without appeal. The names of the Nobel Peace Prize Laureates are then announced."

Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize this morning. Over the last decade the only requirement to win the prize was that the nominee had to be critical of George W. Bush (see Al Gore, Mohamed El Baradei and Jimmy Carter).

President Obama has broken new ground here. Nominations for potential winners of the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize ended on February 1. The president took office only 12 days earlier on January 20.

Let's take a look at the president's first 12 days in the White House according to his public schedule to see what he did to deserve a Nobel Peace Prize:

January 20: Sworn in as president. Went to a parade. Partied.

January 21: Asked bureaucrats to re-write guidelines for information requests. Held an "open house" party at the White House.

January 22: Signed Executive Orders: Executive Branch workers to take ethics pledge; re-affirmed Army Field Manual techniques for interrogations; expressed desire to close Gitmo (how's that working out?)

January 23: Ordered the release of federal funding to pay for abortions in foreign countries. Lunch with Joe Biden; met with Tim Geithner.

January 24: Budget meeting with economic team.

January 25: Skipped church.

January 26: Gave speech about jobs and energy. Met with Hillary Clinton. Attended Geithner's swearing in ceremony.

January 27: Met with Republicans. Spoke at a clock tower in Ohio.

January 28: Economic meetings in the morning, met with Defense secretary in the afternoon.

January 29: Signed Ledbetter Bill overturning Supreme Court decision on lawsuits over wages. Party in the State Room. Met with Biden.

January 30: Met economic advisers. Gave speech on Middle Class Working Families Task Force. Met with senior enlisted military officials.

January 31: Took the day off.

February 1: Skipped church. Threw a Super Bowl party.

So there you have it. The short path to the Nobel Peace Prize: Party, go to meetings, skip church, release federal funding to pay for abortions in foreign countries, party some more.

Good grief.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Eh...the amount of vitriol that is directed towards Obama now pales in comparison to GWB's 1st 4 yrs in office

The lack of political civility started with Clinton, then Bush, now back to Obama....ramping up in aggression and seething with anger with every Prez...when will it end?
true story.
its like BOTH sides have been opposing the other off of a gut reflex since the early 90's. I really think it stems from the expansion of the biased mediaoutlets. I feel that has lead to this overzealous agression towards the opposition. Its like each side wants to out-punk the other. I find it sad thattheres effectively no non-partisan media outlet anymore...no objective middle ground. Theres a liberal/conservative twist to just about every story and toomany people have "a voice"....people that probably havent really earned the right to be heard spew their rhetoric to the masses. Its like whoevertalks the loudest and most aggressively gets heard and youre either "with us or against us".

to answer your question....when that kind of media is done away with, then I think it will end.

Wow, way too early. I mean, his goals and ambitions are fine and dandy but how about some real tangible results?

Originally Posted by emmanuelabor

Eh...the amount of vitriol that is directed towards Obama now pales in comparison to GWB's 1st 4 yrs in office

The lack of political civility started with Clinton, then Bush, now back to Obama....ramping up in aggression and seething with anger with every Prez...when will it end?
true story.
its like BOTH sides have been opposing the other off of a gut reflex since the early 90's. I really think it stems from the expansion of the biased media outlets. I feel that has lead to this overzealous agression towards the opposition. Its like each side wants to out-punk the other. I find it sad that theres effectively no non-partisan media outlet anymore...no objective middle ground. Theres a liberal/conservative twist to just about every story and too many people have "a voice"....people that probably havent really earned the right to be heard spew their rhetoric to the masses. Its like whoever talks the loudest and most aggressively gets heard and youre either "with us or against us".

to answer your question....when that kind of media is done away with, then I think it will end.

Maybe - but at this point, the internet is really at the heart of this all. Before, you never had such an easy way to find people who thought just as crazy asyou did so you probably kept your mouth shut.. but now it's easy to connect to other groups of simpletons out there who share their misinformation andhatred of other groups of people, and that stuff becomes contagious.

I see the facebook statuses of these people on my friends list that should NEVER open their mouths about anything political, given what I know about theiroverall intelligence and status in the world, and they're just idiotic. The same thing was happening with Bush in there. But the saddest part is that forevery idiotic, baseless statement made by these morons, there's somebody replying to it in agreement. It's just an entire world of misinformation andhatred.

It is a shame that my favorite president, Theodore Roosevelt, will be listed with Barack Obama as a US president who has received this award.

"The NFL has announced the winners of the 2010 Super Bowl are the Kansas City Chiefs based on their effort and good intentions, despite a 0-4 record"

Are people really this mad and upset that our President won the Nobel Peace Prize?? How un-american or un-patriotic can you be, just sad.

not mad or salty just give it somebody who HAS really done something. seriously what a joke oh wait he got for redistributing our money to the poor
roll.gif
I dont understand why yall mad at him, he said he didnt deserve it himself, what is he supposed to do, not accept it?

roll.gif

Unless you personally were one of the nominees or you know one of the nominees that were in contention I don't see how you can complain.

Let's take a look at the president's first 12 days in the White House according to his public schedule to see what he did to deserve a Nobel Peace Prize.

So there you have it. The short path to the Nobel Peace Prize: Party, go to meetings, skip church, release federal funding to pay for abortions in foreign countries, party some more.

Good grief.

Do you have that little common sense? Do you know that there is a difference between being nominated after 12 days and being chosen for a Nobel Peace Price 9months later.

ok so Rush Limbaugh thinks Obama shouldn't accept the award and is implying he's taking the award for the money. What a shame this guy has so manyfollowers.

Id like to quote a youtube comment, "Yes of course Obama won for not being GWB. The Europeans are trying to train us to do the right things. TodayAmerica got a biscuit".
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Originally Posted by emmanuelabor

true story.
its like BOTH sides have been opposing the other off of a gut reflex since the early 90's. I really think it stems from the expansion of the biased media outlets. I feel that has lead to this overzealous agression towards the opposition. Its like each side wants to out-punk the other. I find it sad that theres effectively no non-partisan media outlet anymore...no objective middle ground. Theres a liberal/conservative twist to just about every story and too many people have "a voice"....people that probably havent really earned the right to be heard spew their rhetoric to the masses. Its like whoever talks the loudest and most aggressively gets heard and youre either "with us or against us".

Maybe - but at this point, the internet is really at the heart of this all. Before, you never had such an easy way to find people who thought just as crazy as you did so you probably kept your mouth shut.. but now it's easy to connect to other groups of simpletons out there who share their misinformation and hatred of other groups of people, and that stuff becomes contagious.

I see the facebook statuses of these people on my friends list that should NEVER open their mouths about anything political, given what I know about their overall intelligence and status in the world, and they're just idiotic. The same thing was happening with Bush in there. But the saddest part is that for every idiotic, baseless statement made by these morons, there's somebody replying to it in agreement. It's just an entire world of misinformation and hatred.

THIS.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

I would have preferred to see those, who are dissenters against authoritarian regimes, get the most recognition. However, there is no reason why President Obama should not win the award. It is obvious why the inetrnational community gave him the award after being President for less than a year, it was a vote against George W. Bush and the belief that he did not show enough respect to the UN and other international agencies.

In this respect, we should be happy that Barack Obama is in charge of our foreign policy because he is able to placate many of our allies and those in the UN on the strength of words and he has not had to give them very many tangible things to gain their favor. That is a skill that is good to see in someone who is our chief diplomat.

This.

THIS

Originally Posted by NostrandAve68

"Republicans cheered when America failed to land the Olympics and now they are criticizing the President of the United States for receiving the Nobel Peace prize -- an award he did not seek but that is nonetheless an honor in which every American can take great pride -- unless of course you are the Republican Party. The 2009 version of the Republican Party has no boundaries, has no shame and has proved that they will put politics above patriotism at every turn. It's no wonder only 20 percent of Americans admit to being Republicans anymore - it's an embarrassing label to claim.
Ooohhhhwweeee thats some STRONG ETHER from the DNC

I feel the same way. This is something to be proud of not be spiteful and bitter about. There are tons of other things to be upset about with Obama but forhim winning a recognizable award like this is fantastic for America's image considering the 8 years of tyranny we received from Bush.

Originally Posted by SuperDuperCudi

"The NFL has announced the winners of the 2010 Super Bowl are the Kansas City Chiefs based on their effort and good intentions, despite a 0-4 record"
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I just think it's funny that everybody is a Nobel Peace Prize expert all of a sudden
laugh.gif

i'll be perfectly honest... i don't follow it, I know nothing about the voting process nor the nominees... And I don't much care right now.

Our president won? Cool I guess, sounds like a nice thing for our country's image worldwide. Does it really matter to all these people pitching a fit?

Originally Posted by SuperDuperCudi

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Obama with an excellent response showing his humility.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/a..._go_pr_wh/us_obama_nobel
WASHINGTON - A beaming President Barack Obama said Friday he was both honored and humbled to win the Nobel Peace Prize and would accept it as a "call to action" to work with other nations to solve the world's most pressing problems.

Obama told reporters in the White House Rose Garden that he wasn't sure he had done enough to earn the award, or deserved to be in the company of the "transformative figures" who had won it before him.

But, he said, "I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations to confront the challenges of the 21st century."

Obama will travel to Oslo, Norway, in December to accept the award.

Originally Posted by cguy610

roll.gif

Let's take a look at the president's first 12 days in the White House according to his public schedule to see what he did to deserve a Nobel Peace Prize.

Good grief.

Do you have that little common sense? Do you know that there is a difference between being nominated after 12 days and being chosen for a Nobel Peace Price 9 months later.

well do some homework buddy the deadline for the nomination was 12 days into the dear leaders presidency
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom