Barack Obama wins nobel peace prize

oh, I don't care about, but who was the last pres to get one while in office? I don't remember...

and props to sondoobie, I didn't see that earlier....

btw, my remarks are about the cats coming into a post about OUR president, whoever the president is, winning a nobel peace prize...

not that I care about the npp, just, I think its hot our pres. has one...

I laughed when al gore won one cause america picked george bush over him.....

just keep the hate out of a historic, at least from MY lifetime, event involving our country...

Mark my words.

Obama is going to be NBA MVP bye the end of the NBA season

pimp.gif

Peace Prize should be awarded "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses."

Originally Posted by kyrac2

Originally Posted by eNPHAN

lol, "what did he DO?"

opened conversation toward the direction

what did al gore DO? nothing...he OPENED conversation about global warming...

you wanna know why he DESERVES the award? why don't you google the nobel peace prize panel and try to find out? or better yet, write them a letter asking them why they think he's most deserving of the award...lol
honestly i was just as confused when gore won. now that obama has won i see that now if you talk about doing things (like gore did) you too can have a nobel peace prize. so eNPHAN guess you're closer to getting one than i am

-
laugh.gif
@ eNPHAN's point going right over your head....

....oh and i see JBurner is ghost as usual after my response
nerd.gif
, not thati expected anything different
laugh.gif

casper-friendly-ghost-1.jpg

...see yall tuesday.....

I'm still trying to understand something. He was nominated 11 days after he was inaugurated, what requisite was filled for him to be even nominated?

Originally Posted by Master Zik

Damn they just giving these away now. I wanted one of these, seems a little bit easier to get now.

I remember when ppl were mad that Al Gore got one
laugh.gif

There was another guy recently that got one for a specific category. My boy Colbert was mad
laugh.gif

EDIT

Them dudes about to cure HIV/AIDs better get one.
Word, I could use the prize money to finish paying for my undergraduate studies.
nerd.gif

But jokes aside, I'm going to take the dude's Craftsy's words and leave this thread alone. It's only getting more jumbled with each newpage...
tired.gif

lol, hov kid, if you save a half a mil a year, for 500 years, you'll have 250m!

funniest part? you can ACTUALLY do half of what I said in the previous line....

sk lx ftl, tripple posting....

but, LOL@not needing to actually be a president to win it.......

also, double lol@how quickly you forget he worked through the lame duck's last quarter in office...

laugh.gif
@ this whole thread afterreading through it.
eek.gif
@ the ppl who got passed over.

I think Imma agree with dude that said the NPP panel long tarnished the prestigious honor of getting this award long before they gave it to Obama. Nice to knowthe money going to charity.

Correction to my last post Colbert was mad about dude getting a Pulitzer not a Nobel Peace Prize
Originally Posted by Los Yankees

I'm still trying to understand something. He was nominated 11 days after he was inaugurated, what requisite was filled for him to be even nominated?
He keeps the movement movin' [/Cam'ron]

laugh.gif

I think Obama was held to a high standard due to the disparity of the citizens WHO were in need of a CHANGE that these people thought he was their savior. Nowthat they realize he is a human they're undermining the work he as put in (in) unifying this country & the world, giving them hope, and promotingpeace. The Iraq/Afgan war was not his war, and now that he in office it is not technically "War", he is promoting stability and peace in the region.

also this is NOT AN AMERICAN AWARD, your health care/tax/financial issues are not as important as what he has done globally.

tell me who is more deserving than him on that list?

Coincidence that this award was given to Obama today which is the day he meets with military commanders on the potential deployment of 45,000 additional troopsto Afghanistan. Hopefully this award will convince Obama to not send more troops. ((((fingers crossed))))

The things that bugs me most about this whole thing is that people are going to direct thier anger about Obama winning this award at Obama himself as though henominated himself and then voted for himself.......
Its no different then if the KKK gave him thier "Man of the Year" award and people would frown upon him for "winning" that as though he hadanything at all to do with it in the first place.
I just find it odd.

Originally Posted by HOVKid
That was suppose to b a funny SNL skit?
indifferent.gif
..please..iknow you hate the man and his politics..but leave "failed" attempts by the SNL crew out..

Honestly..i agree he did nothing to warrant the consideration for the Nobel Peace Prize since some "john doe" prolly did something out there towarrant the consideration even more..but President Obama is the winner for the reason being that he is starting to try and change the United Statesinternationally..see after 8 tumultuous years under the Republican command..our nation is not looking so hott to other nations when we need their support andthey need ours..our foreign relations deteriorated at such a drastic rate that Obama went on an apology tour and wanted to change those foreign relations forthe better..

For Example:
Trying to Improve relations between the Palenstinians and the Israelis
Trying to Improve relations with the Soviet Union
Improving relations with the Iranians..and taking a hard stance on their development of nuclear weapons..now since a very powerful women in Iran won the NobelPrize in 2003..maybe the nuclear issue will b solved because of this prize..

All those are starts but now comes the difficult part..he has to EARN this award..he has to show the world that he is deserving of this..i believe he will comethrough..now this won't solve our problems domestically..that will come in time..but we have to be patient..and we as Americans are not..

Nobody is yet to answer this question

Obama was nominated 12 days into Office.

What did he accomplish on a global scale prior to his 12th day in office? Please a simple bullet list will suffice.

Since he was president for11 days before nomination day, one can assume the committee was using his work prior to his presidency to determine his nomination.Ok, so during his pre-presidency, what did he accomplish on a global scale?

I'm black ,I voted for Obama, and I support him within his Presidential capacity. But from what I can see prior to his 12th day in office, he did nothingto warrant him the Nobel Peace Prize. Especially after seeing the list of runner ups.

Where was I when Gore won? Who cares.

I'm not sure if some of you realize how much of a joke this is.

George W. Bush did not receive a Nobel Peace Prize for liberating thousands of people in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Ronald Reagan did not receive a Nobel Peace Prize for ending the Cold War without firing a single bullet.

But our savior, Barack Obama, receives the award 11 days into his presidency. For what? Tell me what he did to deserve the Nobel Peace Prize.

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

George W. Bush did not receive a Nobel Peace Prize for liberating thousands of people in Iraq and Afghanistan.

eek.gif
roll.gif

Some of y'all dudes are absolute jokers.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

What did he accomplish on a global scale prior to his 12th day in office? Please a simple bullet list will suffice.

Since he was president for11 days before nomination day, one can assume the committee was using his work prior to his presidency to determine his nomination. Ok, so during his pre-presidency, what did he accomplish on a global scale?

I'm black ,I voted for Obama, and I support him within his Presidential capacity. But from what I can see prior to his 12th day in office, he did nothing to warrant him the Nobel Peace Prize. Especially after seeing the list of runner ups.

This is the nomination process -

September - Invitation letters are sent out.The Nobel Committee sends out invitation letters to individuals qualified to nominate - members of national assemblies, governments, and international courts of law; university chancellors, professors of social science, history, philosophy, law and theology; leaders of peace research institutes and institutes of foreign affairs; previous Nobel Peace Prize Laureates; board members of organizations that have received the Nobel Peace Prize; present and past members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee; and former advisers of the Norwegian Nobel Institute.

February - Deadline for submission. The Committee bases its assessment on nominations that must be postmarked no later than 1 February each year. Nominations postmarked and received after this date are included in the following year's discussions. In recent years, the Committee has received close to 200 different nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize. The number of nominating letters is much higher, as many are for the same candidates.

February-March - Short list. The Committee assesses the candidates' work and prepares a short list.

March-August - Adviser review. The short list is reviewed by permanent advisers and advisers specially recruited for their knowledge of specific candidates. The advisers do not directly evaluate nominations nor give explicit recommendations.

October - Nobel Laureates are chosen. At the beginning of October, the Nobel Committee chooses the Nobel Peace Prize Laureates through a majority vote. The decision is final and without appeal. The names of the Nobel Peace Prize Laureates are then announced.

December - Nobel Laureates receive their prize. The Nobel Peace Prize Award Ceremony takes place on 10 December in Oslo, Norway, where the Nobel Laureates receive their Nobel Prize, which consists of a Nobel Medal and Diploma, and a document confirming the prize amount.

What did he accomplish in 12 days to be nominated? Lets see...

• Day 3 - consisted of him closing Guantanamo by 2010, executive order to ban torture and harsh interrogations. He also made a speech on requesting the opening of Gaza's border crossings and requesting support from other countries to assist in humanitarian aid to the Gaza Strip.
  • Day 4 - an Executive Order on overturning the policy banning federal funding for international groups that promote or perform abortions.
  • Day 5 - Promote and meet with Congressional leaders on the Stimulus package
  • Day 6 - More on the economy plan and tries to reach out to Republicans for support
  • Day 7 - 1st live interview with an Arab news station in order to reach out to Muslims

"I have Muslim members of my family. I have lived in Muslim countries. My job to the Muslim world is to communicate that the Americans are not your enemy."
  • Days 8 & 9 - Meeting with Congressional leaders in particular the Republicans to garner their support for the Stimulus Package
  • Day 10 - Signs the first bill as President: the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act (To make it easier for workers to sue over gender-based pay discrimination.)
  • Day 11 - Appointed Biden as head of a middle-class task force to help average Americans survive the economic crisis.
  • Day 12 - Annual D.C. Alfalfa dinner
Was that enough to be nominated by the deadline of Feb 1? IMO easily NO. However this is just the beginning phase of the nomination process. Over 250people were nominated for this award and after 9 months, the committee selected Obama.

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Since he was president for11 days before nomination day, one can assume the committee was using his work prior to his presidency to determine his nomination. Ok, so during his pre-presidency, what did he accomplish on a global scale?

I'm black ,I voted for Obama, and I support him within his Presidential capacity. But from what I can see prior to his 12th day in office, he did nothing to warrant him the Nobel Peace Prize. Especially after seeing the list of runner ups.

This is the nomination process -

September - Invitation letters are sent out.The Nobel Committee sends out invitation letters to individuals qualified to nominate - members of national assemblies, governments, and international courts of law; university chancellors, professors of social science, history, philosophy, law and theology; leaders of peace research institutes and institutes of foreign affairs; previous Nobel Peace Prize Laureates; board members of organizations that have received the Nobel Peace Prize; present and past members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee; and former advisers of the Norwegian Nobel Institute.

February - Deadline for submission. The Committee bases its assessment on nominations that must be postmarked no later than 1 February each year. Nominations postmarked and received after this date are included in the following year's discussions. In recent years, the Committee has received close to 200 different nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize. The number of nominating letters is much higher, as many are for the same candidates.

February-March - Short list. The Committee assesses the candidates' work and prepares a short list.

March-August - Adviser review. The short list is reviewed by permanent advisers and advisers specially recruited for their knowledge of specific candidates. The advisers do not directly evaluate nominations nor give explicit recommendations.

October - Nobel Laureates are chosen. At the beginning of October, the Nobel Committee chooses the Nobel Peace Prize Laureates through a majority vote. The decision is final and without appeal. The names of the Nobel Peace Prize Laureates are then announced.

December - Nobel Laureates receive their prize. The Nobel Peace Prize Award Ceremony takes place on 10 December in Oslo, Norway, where the Nobel Laureates receive their Nobel Prize, which consists of a Nobel Medal and Diploma, and a document confirming the prize amount.

What did he accomplish in 12 days to be nominated? Lets see...

• Day 3 - consisted of him closing Guantanamo by 2010, executive order to ban torture and harsh interrogations. He also made a speech on requesting the opening of Gaza's border crossings and requesting support from other countries to assist in humanitarian aid to the Gaza Strip.
  • Day 4 - an Executive Order on overturning the policy banning federal funding for international groups that promote or perform abortions.
  • Day 5 - Promote and meet with Congressional leaders on the Stimulus package
  • Day 6 - More on the economy plan and tries to reach out to Republicans for support
  • Day 7 - 1st live interview with an Arab news station in order to reach out to Muslims

"I have Muslim members of my family. I have lived in Muslim countries. My job to the Muslim world is to communicate that the Americans are not your enemy."
  • Days 8 & 9 - Meeting with Congressional leaders in particular the Republicans to garner their support for the Stimulus Package
  • Day 10 - Signs the first bill as President: the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act (To make it easier for workers to sue over gender-based pay discrimination.)
  • Day 11 - Appointed Biden as head of a middle-class task force to help average Americans survive the economic crisis.
  • Day 12 - Annual D.C. Alfalfa dinner
Was that enough to be nominated by the deadline of Feb 1? IMO easily NO. However this is just the beginning phase of the nomination process. Over 250 people were nominated for this award and after 9 months, the committee selected Obama.

Best post in the thread.

Props for your effort.

the man himself said he didn't deserve it so IDK while all you conservatives are all up in arms. and to suggest that GW deserves anything other than adunce cap is absurd.
I take this whole thing to be a props to America from the rest of the world for getting rid of the ****** rule and electing someone who actually thinks forhimself and wants a better world. and by better world I mean one that is better for a lot of people, not just old, grey haired, bald, white men
basically this is a big snub to Bush and his puppet string pullers from the rest of the world. quite amusing

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

I'm not sure if some of you realize how much of a joke this is.

Ronald Reagan did not receive a Nobel Peace Prize for ending the Cold War without firing a single bullet.

But our savior, Barack Obama, receives the award was NOMINATED 11 days into his presidency. For what? Tell me what he did to deserve the Nobel Peace Prize.
FIXED

GW nominated?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
The guy that indirectly and directly is responsible for the deaths of over 4,300 US troops and over 100,000 Iraqis. The guy responsible for thedisplacement of over 4-5 million Iraqis? The guy whom help create over a thousand+ Muslim extremist groups due to his foreign policy and occupation of Iraq? That guy that supports torture? That GW we're talking about? Yah OK!?
laugh.gif

Oh man I love the comedy here on NT. And to THINK people with this mindset actually exists in America. WOW!
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom