As a black atheist, I like to address questions of why African Americans are so religious

We live in such an easy world now.   Just imagine back in the day when African American ancestors were raped, sodomized and beaten by their slave masters and all they had was the power of Spirituality.  This belief was passed on generation to generation genetically. 

So it just baffles me how easy it is for people today to spit/disrespect religion in which had helped their ancestors during their struggle.  It's Black History Month so read up on the Spiritual slave gospel songs and learn some history.  

Here's some text I found...

Slaves used spirituals to affirm their humanity and to give them hope, faith and courage to go on living when life to seemed to be nothing but endless physical toil, punishment and deprivation.

If reading was forbidden, listening wasn’t, and slaves caught snatches of hymns outside the slave owner’s churches. Out of little scraps of Biblical text and bits and pieces of a psalms and hymns, hundreds of new and beautifully repetitious songs were fashioned and reworked until they became beautiful folk poetry.

We live in such an easy world now.   Just imagine back in the day when African American ancestors were raped, sodomized and beaten by their slave masters and all they had was the power of Spirituality.  This belief was passed on generation to generation genetically. 

So it just baffles me how easy it is for people today to spit/disrespect religion in which had helped their ancestors during their struggle.  It's Black History Month so read up on the Spiritual slave gospel songs and learn some history.  

Slaves used spirituals to affirm their humanity and to give them hope, faith and courage to go on living when life to seemed to be nothing but endless physical toil, punishment and deprivation.

If reading was forbidden, listening wasn’t, and slaves caught snatches of hymns outside the slave owner’s churches. Out of little scraps of Biblical text and bits and pieces of a psalms and hymns, hundreds of new and beautifully repetitious songs were fashioned and reworked until they became beautiful folk poetry.

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

Bruh, my parents are Jamaican immigrants. I KNOW THE STRUGGLE. Don't get it twisted. I was one of the only black kids in school that outperformed most of the white kids. I know what its like to be an outcast. Miss me with that.
It doesn't make it MORE RIGHT though. No one is disrespecting heritage. However I think you would look down on whites that support their heritage of slavery and racial bigotry right? At a certain point we move on. We pay homage to their struggles and learn from them but there is no need to re-live them. We look to the past to learn, not to emulate. 

Religion gave them hope and some the greatest motivations they could ask for...just like any other illiterate person today in a poor part of the world. It doesn't make it RIGHT or any more TRUE. 

Know the difference. 

Bruh, my parents are Jamaican immigrants. I KNOW THE STRUGGLE. Don't get it twisted. I was one of the only black kids in school that outperformed most of the white kids. I know what its like to be an outcast. Miss me with that.
It doesn't make it MORE RIGHT though. No one is disrespecting heritage. However I think you would look down on whites that support their heritage of slavery and racial bigotry right? At a certain point we move on. We pay homage to their struggles and learn from them but there is no need to re-live them. We look to the past to learn, not to emulate. 

Religion gave them hope and some the greatest motivations they could ask for...just like any other illiterate person today in a poor part of the world. It doesn't make it RIGHT or any more TRUE. 

Know the difference. 

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

Yawn.(again)

If god wasn't real how the hell could you be an atheist? Thats your problem you think you ARE something your NOT. I'll tell you what you really are, you're just as bad as a church-going bible thumper with your constant atheist bickering... When you essentially believe in NOTHING.
laugh.gif

Dude do some soul searching...you and Aton trying to turn NT atheist...nobody cares
laugh.gif
You do not know what atheism is. You're confusing it for something else.

If GOD was real how the hell could anyone not be a theist?

Essentially believe in nothing
laugh.gif
That's such a common misunderstanding of atheism that I urge you to actually learn abut what you're talking about instead of posting ignorance.

Yawn.(again)

If god wasn't real how the hell could you be an atheist? Thats your problem you think you ARE something your NOT. I'll tell you what you really are, you're just as bad as a church-going bible thumper with your constant atheist bickering... When you essentially believe in NOTHING.
laugh.gif

Dude do some soul searching...you and Aton trying to turn NT atheist...nobody cares
laugh.gif
You do not know what atheism is. You're confusing it for something else.

If GOD was real how the hell could anyone not be a theist?

Essentially believe in nothing
laugh.gif
That's such a common misunderstanding of atheism that I urge you to actually learn abut what you're talking about instead of posting ignorance.

@ Dame

Fair enough. Either way, it doesn't really matter to me, though. *shrugs*

However, my point still remains we're not faithless to a certain extent. When I say that, it has nothing to do with a god or religion. I'd assume you'd agree with that. I just feel that term is somewhat (not completely, obviously) interchangeable with the term believe, hence me using it. That was in response to the notion we believe in nothing, which is borderline insulting to me, regardless of context.

Maybe my examples weren't best suited for the use of the term "faith," but as an atheist I have faith and believe in a lot things I hold in high regard, which is why I hate when I hear the whole "you 'believe in nothing" crap.

It's all semantics, though.

@ Dame

However, my point still remains we're not faithless to a certain extent. When I say that, it has nothing to do with a god or religion. I'd assume you'd agree with that. I just feel that term is somewhat (not completely, obviously) interchangeable with the term believe, hence me using it. That was in response to the notion we believe in nothing, which is borderline insulting to me, regardless of context.

Maybe my examples weren't best suited for the use of the term "faith," but as an atheist I have faith and believe in a lot things I hold in high regard, which is why I hate when I hear the whole "you 'believe in nothing" crap.

Originally Posted by APH

@ Dame

However, my point still remains were not faithless to a certain extent. When I say that, it has nothing to do with a god or religion. I'd assume you'd agree with that. I just feel that term is somewhat (not completely, obviously) interchangeable with the term believe, hence me using it. That was in response to the notion we believe in nothing, which is borderline insulting to me, regardless of context.

You're right about it being all semantics. I DO however feel a need to distinguish because those that really don't understand the complexities of language will fudge up the argument by using things that don't directly relate to their meaning. 
I just like to keep the two separate because people will take it and run with it because they think that it will help their argument. 

I do agree with you though...I know that WE know what we're talking about but we have to keep it clear for everyone else. 

Originally Posted by APH

@ Dame

However, my point still remains were not faithless to a certain extent. When I say that, it has nothing to do with a god or religion. I'd assume you'd agree with that. I just feel that term is somewhat (not completely, obviously) interchangeable with the term believe, hence me using it. That was in response to the notion we believe in nothing, which is borderline insulting to me, regardless of context.

You're right about it being all semantics. I DO however feel a need to distinguish because those that really don't understand the complexities of language will fudge up the argument by using things that don't directly relate to their meaning. 
I just like to keep the two separate because people will take it and run with it because they think that it will help their argument. 

I do agree with you though...I know that WE know what we're talking about but we have to keep it clear for everyone else. 

I'm a fan of/have studied the blues (a lot of religious themes) and was in my college's gospel choir (no lie
laugh.gif
)

Here's a bit of history: Christianity was part of the plan by slave masters to tame and domesticate their slaves like dogs. They had to be completely stripped of their identity, customs and spirituality as part of the "dehumanzing" process. Sure it gave them hope, but it also made them more complacent and less likely to rebel. This is the same reason the slaves were forbidden from reading books. Discouraging "Free thinking" is the easiest way to prevent a revolution. This tactic is still used around the world today.

I'm a fan of/have studied the blues (a lot of religious themes) and was in my college's gospel choir (no lie
laugh.gif
)

Here's a bit of history: Christianity was part of the plan by slave masters to tame and domesticate their slaves like dogs. They had to be completely stripped of their identity, customs and spirituality as part of the "dehumanzing" process. Sure it gave them hope, but it also made them more complacent and less likely to rebel. This is the same reason the slaves were forbidden from reading books. Discouraging "Free thinking" is the easiest way to prevent a revolution. This tactic is still used around the world today.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

laugh.gif
)

O Word...

laugh.gif
)

O Word...

Originally Posted by cartune

laugh.gif
)

O Word...

EVERY EFFORT TO MODERNIZE THE CHURCH AND RELIGION WAS DONE THROUGH SECULAR AND HUMANIST/ETHICAL MEANS.
Whether it was getting the pope to realize the sun didn't revolve around the earth or giving women the right to vote and gay the chance to get married.

Every progressive movement was in actuality in DIRECT opposition to just about every abrahamic religion. 

Don't think civil rights was a religious issue...it was a humanist issue. 

Religions don't evolve on their own... people shape those religions based on secular pressures, moral pressures, humanist pressures, ethical pressures. If it was up to fundamentalists we would be just where a lot of countries that practice Islam are right now. 

laugh.gif
)

O Word...

EVERY EFFORT TO MODERNIZE THE CHURCH AND RELIGION WAS DONE THROUGH SECULAR AND HUMANIST/ETHICAL MEANS.
Whether it was getting the pope to realize the sun didn't revolve around the earth or giving women the right to vote and gay the chance to get married.

Every progressive movement was in actuality in DIRECT opposition to just about every abrahamic religion. 

Religions don't evolve on their own... people shape those religions based on secular pressures, moral pressures, humanist pressures, ethical pressures. If it was up to fundamentalists we would be just where a lot of countries that practice Islam are right now. 

Originally Posted by Dame Theory

laugh.gif
)

O Word...

NOBEL PRIZE RIGHT HERE.

This is getting tired. Your an ATHEIST.ok..what do you want? You act like someone is trying to stop you from being an atheist
laugh.gif

You want people to believe in what you believe in because of your own insecurity....otherwise why would you be waving your little atheist flag all the time?  Feel threatened?

Thats why I cant take these cats serious because they've made ZERO real inquiries. They think god is what they see in front of them. None of these religions mean *%+* to me.

laugh.gif
)

O Word...

NOBEL PRIZE RIGHT HERE.

This is getting tired. Your an ATHEIST.ok..what do you want? You act like someone is trying to stop you from being an atheist
laugh.gif

You want people to believe in what you believe in because of your own insecurity....otherwise why would you be waving your little atheist flag all the time?  Feel threatened?

Thats why I cant take these cats serious because they've made ZERO real inquiries. They think god is what they see in front of them. None of these religions mean *%+* to me.

SunDOOBIE wrote:
laugh.gif

What does he want?  This is what he wants...

Dame Theory wrote:
See you're the reason I make threads like this...forcing people to think more about the way they live and to justify their way of thinking. Thank you for contributing.

Or, in other words--forcing "others" who share or champion a point of view that is dissimilar to his, to abandon a (their) system of belief which he obviously regards with disdain and disgust. If it aint in line with his belief--his opinion--then it is clearly and obviously inferior. Right Dame?

You have all the makings of a future despot/oppressor, fam, which is particularly ironic, considering some of the slave/slave-master arguments that have been appropriated in defense of your argument.

Remember, the slave-masters/oppressors of antiquity justified their actions by suggesting that the oppression of natives--those classified as "others"--was done so for the benefit of the oppressed (peoples whose beliefs were viewed as inferior and unjustifiable in the eyes of the oppressor), kinda like how this thread is for the benefit of blind and ignorant religious African-American folks/or just religious folks in general (word to all his other religious threads).

Sad.
30t6p3b.gif

SunDOOBIE wrote:
laugh.gif

Dame Theory wrote:
See you're the reason I make threads like this...forcing people to think more about the way they live and to justify their way of thinking. Thank you for contributing.

Or, in other words--forcing "others" who share or champion a point of view that is dissimilar to his, to abandon a (their) system of belief which he obviously regards with disdain and disgust. If it aint in line with his belief--his opinion--then it is clearly and obviously inferior. Right Dame?

You have all the makings of a future despot/oppressor, fam, which is particularly ironic, considering some of the slave/slave-master arguments that have been appropriated in defense of your argument.

Remember, the slave-masters/oppressors of antiquity justified their actions by suggesting that the oppression of natives--those classified as "others"--was done so for the benefit of the oppressed (peoples whose beliefs were viewed as inferior and unjustifiable in the eyes of the oppressor), kinda like how this thread is for the benefit of blind and ignorant religious African-American folks/or just religious folks in general (word to all his other religious threads).

Sad.
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

SunDOOBIE wrote:
laugh.gif

Dame Theory wrote:

Sad.
30t6p3b.gif

So i'm oppressing people who are mentally enslaved? Mind you, i'm not FORCING anyone to read this thread or even respond to me...or even AGREE with me. I'm simply saying what I think and posting evidence to back it up. I said that the stuff I was posting was forcing people to ask themselves critical questions. That is what happens when you allow yourself to embrace different ideas. 
No wonder this doesnt get anywhere. You think that ANY opposition is negative. So I should just keep to myself right? I should just ignore the fact that 75%+ of this country thinks a christian God "made" them. Right? Recognize the bias in your own frigging statements. 

I don't care WHY anyone believes anything. I do care that people have a good reason too. There is NO good reason to believe in God or a Religion ...or at least no reason that can't be either developed without a belief in god or a reason that gives a good reason to believe in God. 

Thats the difference. Thing is, your same argument could replace Atheist with ANY religion and you'd be back at square one. thing is, i'm not going to threaten people with eternal torment, protest their legal rights, or encourage them to hate others openly or anything of the sort. We are not on opposite sides of the coin. You're job is the address other religions. I'm just watching you and the rest battle it out on TV. 

There IS such a thing as a BAD IDEA. Don't get it twisted. You can THINK what you want but there are MANY BAD IDEAS that society looks down upon. Bigotry, sexism, homophobia. All of them are bad ideas. Believing that not only that you're waiting for a savior who has NEVER provided evidence for their existence to come back, temporarily suspended the laws of physics, stole stories from other religions, AND using that to justify blind ignorance, reluctance to accept evidence and gross atrocities against man-kind is a BAD IDEA. Don't mention Stalin either. Stalin didn't care about the human condition. Stalin didn't recognize the value of life and how important it was to preserve it and to love every other being on this earth. There are good people and bad people in every walk of life...HOWEVER their reasons for doing so can be wrong as hell. Religion is founded on lies and keeps propagating them by deluding them. Enough is enough.

If you wanna do good. Do that. Don't think you'll be rewarded for it and don't think someone is keeping tabs either. Be good for goodness sake. 

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

SunDOOBIE wrote:
laugh.gif

Dame Theory wrote:

Sad.
30t6p3b.gif

So i'm oppressing people who are mentally enslaved? Mind you, i'm not FORCING anyone to read this thread or even respond to me...or even AGREE with me. I'm simply saying what I think and posting evidence to back it up. I said that the stuff I was posting was forcing people to ask themselves critical questions. That is what happens when you allow yourself to embrace different ideas. 
No wonder this doesnt get anywhere. You think that ANY opposition is negative. So I should just keep to myself right? I should just ignore the fact that 75%+ of this country thinks a christian God "made" them. Right? Recognize the bias in your own frigging statements. 

I don't care WHY anyone believes anything. I do care that people have a good reason too. There is NO good reason to believe in God or a Religion ...or at least no reason that can't be either developed without a belief in god or a reason that gives a good reason to believe in God. 

Thats the difference. Thing is, your same argument could replace Atheist with ANY religion and you'd be back at square one. thing is, i'm not going to threaten people with eternal torment, protest their legal rights, or encourage them to hate others openly or anything of the sort. We are not on opposite sides of the coin. You're job is the address other religions. I'm just watching you and the rest battle it out on TV. 

There IS such a thing as a BAD IDEA. Don't get it twisted. You can THINK what you want but there are MANY BAD IDEAS that society looks down upon. Bigotry, sexism, homophobia. All of them are bad ideas. Believing that not only that you're waiting for a savior who has NEVER provided evidence for their existence to come back, temporarily suspended the laws of physics, stole stories from other religions, AND using that to justify blind ignorance, reluctance to accept evidence and gross atrocities against man-kind is a BAD IDEA. Don't mention Stalin either. Stalin didn't care about the human condition. Stalin didn't recognize the value of life and how important it was to preserve it and to love every other being on this earth. There are good people and bad people in every walk of life...HOWEVER their reasons for doing so can be wrong as hell. Religion is founded on lies and keeps propagating them by deluding them. Enough is enough.

If you wanna do good. Do that. Don't think you'll be rewarded for it and don't think someone is keeping tabs either. Be good for goodness sake. 

One view of evil in Christianity is the absence of good. That being said Atheists have had their fair share of evil acts. Stalin, Mao, and Hitler were all Atheists. So it's clear that religion is not the source of evil. Christians believe evil is an inherent ontological problem and for me religion defines what is good and evil.

I don't think any logical person can say evil doesn't exist. If you are fortunate enough to have not suffered from evil acts than I'm happy for you, but in my experience there are certainly people who do bad things intentionally to harm others.

Of course religion has its own share of evil people who misuse it for their own gain. (see the Crusades, Salem Witch Trials, etc) I would argue that egocentricism is a source of much evil in society. I do wish people would discuss spiritual abuse more so we could address the issues caused by it and help prevent it. Unfortunately there isn't much information about it because atheists deny this type of thing.

Back
Top Bottom