2013-2014 NBA Thread - IND @ WAS and OKC @ LAC on ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why they lost today other than that though. Caught the game ESPN stat tracker and last 6-7 minutes on at he a Sports Animal radio app. Recorded it but can't being myself to watch it. I can guess what happened. On to the next. I might go to the game this time as it may be the last time to see them play at home this season.

Last edited:
He does though. What games do you watch. He's mad assertive, he doesn't just take shots given to him, he kills off the dribble creating, which is why Doc slowed that down today putting a guard on him to negate the dribble penetration.
when he can break down a defender of course he will do work. but when there is a good defender on him (tony allen, cp3) the drop off in production is HUGE. he goes from scoring at will to struggling to even get the ball. guys like melo, kobe, lebron will have a much tougher time when a good defender is on him but the drop off is no where near as drastic. a lot of the time when a smaller stronger defender is on kd he seems to get very passive and not even look to score, this happened a lot in memphis and it happened in the 4th quarter tonight.

if you're the best scorer in the world having a good defender on you should not be a reason for lack of production, it may cause a decrease in production but the drop off should not be as drastic as it was with kd with tony allen and cp3 on him

KD isn't blameless, a few of those late turnovers were lazy, but you can't just post KD 20 feet from the hoop over and over using up most of the shot clock in the process only for him to get doubled and have the possession turn to ****. This is what Scotty's job is, run a pick and roll, run him off some screens, do SOMETHING that involves ball movement/player movement.

See this is what I disagree with. I don't think Scott Brooks designs sets where Durant is posting from 20 plus feet. I think that's all on Durant for not getting the ball where the coaching staff designed for him to get it at.

KD isn't blameless, a few of those late turnovers were lazy, but you can't just post KD 20 feet from the hoop over and over using up most of the shot clock in the process only for him to get doubled and have the possession turn to ****. This is what Scotty's job is, run a pick and roll, run him off some screens, do SOMETHING that involves ball movement/player movement.
See this is what I disagree with. I don't think Scott Brooks designs sets where Durant is posting from 20 plus feet. I think that's all on Durant for not getting the ball where the coaching staff designed for him to get it at.
kd shouldnt have been posting up to begin with (not sure if that was brooks or kd that wanted to post up). they got baited into it because cp3 was on him

Either way, why are you running post ups with 3 guys standing in place. Nobody moves, there's no creativity. He's Mike Brown 2.0.

Last edited:
in theory posting up a 7ft player on a 6ft player is a good idea, the execution was just way off

you could say that there were 3 guys standing around doing nothing but if you watch the replay, both times kd was quick to panic and turn it over before anyone on his team had time to make a move to help him out

two people on the ball means that someone somewhere is open, kd should be able to figure out who to pass to or if he can attack the double team. he just messed up

Nobody moves, Nobody. And when this happens, Russell has to take more shots, pushing him over 20 which statistically means they lose but also means he's taken those shots because of no movement not because he's trying to shine.

even if kd was playing on the spurs for pops offence, both times he threw the ball away before a player had a chance to make a off ball move

If he has to take that amount of shots something is off (place blame accordingly) usually resulting in a loss

Last edited:
Either way, why are you running post ups with 3 guys standing in place. Nobody moves, there's no creativity. He's Mike Brown 2.0.

Meh, poor floor balance and poor floor spacing makes it look like posting up KD (or trying to was a bad idea. When in theory, it should be a good idea. Elite 6'10.5 being guarded by a barely 6 foot player? You have to explore the option of posting that up.

However, like I said the poor floor spacing really hurt the Thunder and made it easy for guys like Crawford and Collison to play multiple people and get into passing lanes. Again, this isn't a coach brooks job, that's just Basketball IQ, always wanna have good floor spacing and balance. Not saying Durant's turnovers would have been alleviated if they had better floor balance, but it's certainly harder to double when the floor is spaced properly.

Also we have to give credit to what CP did defensively. Part of the reason why the doubles worked was because CP didn't just sit behind Durant. He fought him for 16, 17 seconds of the shot clock. Getting him out of position, denying, so that by the time Durant actually got the ball he was farther from the basket, being doubled hard, with poor floor spacing, and had the shot clock against him.

To me this loss is on OKCs defense, not their offense

I'd like to see a chart of the clips last 6-8 mins of the game. I swear they scored on every possession except a couple

Thunders bench 19
Clippers bench. 40

Durant had 40 pts on 50% shooting, but had 8 Turnovers according to @DatZNasty which I'm sure led to points for the Clips. Sounds like he didn't play perfect. Sounds like he could have done better in the double teams and turnover category. But for 19/40 bench, there's the problem without having to watch the game. Who in the game and not on the bench did or didn't do what?

no point in blaming brooks after every loss, the team may not be able to win it all but they can clearly win games in this series with brooks coaching

you guys all know what brooks will or wont do, no point getting mad at him for something you know will happen. they would have won if brooks was a better coach is the same to me as saying they would have won if caron butler was 5 years younger. hes not, so deal with it.

at the start of the series i thought okc is a better team than the clippers, thats taking into account brooks poor coaching. i still think this, and i dont expect brooks to pull off any next level coaching moves so i dont blame him when they lose after he doesnt do any next level coaching moves.

i do however expect the mvp to play like a mvp and close out games. kd did not to that tonight so in my eyes he should get the majority of the blame, he played below my expectations of him.

i dont care about his box score, basketball is a 48 minute game and to win you have to play all 48 minutes. at the end of the game his poor play cost his team the game

To me this loss is on OKCs defense, not their offense

I'd like to see a chart of the clips last 6-8 mins of the game. I swear they scored on every possession except a couple
hard to defend a bunch of fast break layups

westbrook is usually the high energy guy that sprints back to contest fastbreak layups but when he attacks the rim and misses it leaves jackson and kd and they just didnt put in much effort to get back on defense

some of y'all really need to stop trying to play hall monitors - getting on your high horses on some "this is why regulars don't visit this thread."  who gives a ****.

'

the thread's fun with the slander and jokes. just post what you need to post and let others post what they want. stop whining

Meh, poor floor balance and poor floor spacing makes it look like posting up KD (or trying to was a bad idea. When in theory, it should be a good idea. Elite 6'10.5 being guarded by a barely 6 foot player? You have to explore the option of posting that up.

However, like I said the poor floor spacing really hurt the Thunder and made it easy for guys like Crawford and Collison to play multiple people and get into passing lanes. Again, this isn't a coach brooks job, that's just Basketball IQ, always wanna have good floor spacing and balance. Not saying Durant's turnovers would have been alleviated if they had better floor balance, but it's certainly harder to double when the floor is spaced properly.

Poor spacing is on the coach, man. :lol:

some of y'all really need to stop trying to play hall monitors - getting on your high horses on some "this is why regulars don't visit this thread."  who gives a ****.
'
the thread's fun with the slander and jokes. just post what you need to post and let others post what they want. stop whining

The Rock gif.

Lol@ hall monitor. Man I get banned for a week every other week because of the monitors. I'm on my P's and Q's over here. I love the hall monitors

like you could point at the bench points but i dont think anyone in here actually expects the okc bench to keep up with the clippers bench

okc is a better overall team, this takes into account the superior clippers bench and coaching. okc needs to make better use of their strengths (kd and westbrook) to counter the gap in bench and coaching

Poor spacing is on the coach, man.
laugh.gif
goes both ways, players should know better, coach should tell players where to go

but seeing as they have had the same poor spacing for the past 3 years, when it does workout for them its the players that are making it work not the coach

The problem with this thread isn't the "jokes and sarcastic posts". It's that it is an all encompassing basketball thread for every team and every topic with lots of members interested in posting and contributing so it moves super fast so the "regs" call 90% of the posts garbage if it doesn't fit their discussion.

like you could point at the bench points but i dont think anyone in here actually expects the okc bench to keep up with the clippers bench

okc is a better overall team, this takes into account the superior clippers bench and coaching. okc needs to make better use of their strengths (kd and westbrook) to counter the gap in bench and coaching

I would disagree. OKCs bench is pretty good, they just don't get a chance to ball. Straight up. Unutilized talent on OKC's bench. They will get developed somewhere someday.

look at the rockets, blazers series. rockets were the more talented team and should have won even with their coach. if james harden doesnt shoot 30% all series the rockets easily take the series. there is no way you can blame how poorly harden played all on mchale and if he played at a level that was expected of him (based on what he was doing in the regular season) it would be the rockets playing the spurs right now

coaching is important but it will always come down to the star players and how they are able to make plays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom