2013-2014 NBA Thread - IND @ WAS and OKC @ LAC on ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
“@ESPNSteinLine: Hearing Stan Van Gundy's first formal Warriors interview is "imminent." ESPN reported Saturday that SVG is "closest thing" to GSW top target”

“@ZachLowe_NBA: At least second time in playoffs Brooks has blown an obvious late-game must-foul situation, only to be bailed out (MEM/Westbrook steal)”

As for the whole OKC debacle from earlier.. the common trend in all of their bad losses isn't Westbrook being selfish, isn't Durant being passive, isn't Perkins being Perkins, it's Brooks.

Sure, if Durant hits a couple shots or Russ makes that 3, they pull out a win.. but they should have never been in that situation in the first place. Adjustments... you have to make them as a coach.

Credit as well to the Clippers, though. It's easy to focus on OKC blowing it, but LA still had to climb back in and they pulled out a great win. I still have OKC winning the series, but they made life a lot harder.
brooks is who he is, you know hes not going to do much going into these games. maybe if he calls a timeout here instead of there and subs player A in for player B they end up winning. but at the end of the day is 5 guys on one team and 5 guys on the other team, players should know to get back on defense, kd should know to stay undercontrol when double teamed. the coach shouldnt need to make an adjustment when your best player is being locked down by a guy a foot shorter, at some point you have to say the players need to do better

spo didnt suddenly figure out nba coaching in one offseason, the difference between '11 heat and '12 heat was lebron's mentality and wade taking a back seat. they became successful because lebron (the best player) took it upon himself to lead the team to success and he did

kd needs to take the same leap

I didn't see the game I watched it (Thunder/Clips). But a Doc said in post game interview, KDs dribble was killing them the last 2 games, so he purposely put a smaller guard on him to at least take away the dribble. That's some coaching for your ***! Never heard Brooks even mention making any kind of adjustment. Just says "I told them to stay focused and believe" or some thing like that.
Typically true, however in game 3 Doc thought Blake Griffin and Glen Davis 4/5 combination was a good lineup and continued to stay big when OKC went small which is when Caron hit like 3 3s on 4 possessions (Blake Griffin continued to fail to closeout). It's a chess match, a back and forth, Doc definitely won today though

And it's the coach's job to make an adjustment when his players SHOULD know what to do, but don't. Blame goes to the players and the coach, of course, but if the players can't figure it out.. that's when the coach is supposed to.. ya know.. coach and make an adjustment.

I mean, if players should know to do this and should know to do that.. then why even have a coach at all? The player's know what to do.. just let them figure it out :lol: And you're not giving Spo enough credit, he's made impressive strides in his coaching and it shows.. he's not the same guy now as when he first started.

Last edited:
Dismissing the improvement that Spoelstra made as a coach is silly and so is dismissing the fact that Scott Brooks hasn't put his best players in position to succeed. And so is dismissing the importance of coaching in general.

thats why i wanted to see the full 4th quarter again, i dont remember when and how timeouts were used

from what i remember half the damage (how clippers scored) was done on cp3 pick and rolls and the other half fast break layups

brooks should have told his players to get back on D rather than ball watch after the shot expecting an O rebound

KD's turnovers were 100% him, you cant really fix that with coaching other than telling him to calm down or something and both turnovers resulted in fastbreak layups

the coach can be blamed in all losses but its lazy to put all the blame on scott brooks and ignore that the players played poorly in the 4th quarter, nt seems to love to blame coaches for everything bad that happens to their teams

spo has improved as a coach but the jump from 11 to 12 was largely due to lebron changing his mentality. nothing comes easy in the nba, you cant just have more talent than everyone else and cruse to a championship. you have to come out ready to kill and earn it. jordan had to figure out how to efficiently use is talent, kobe did to after shaq left and he had his do it on my own phase. in both cases jackson showed them the way. lebron figured it out after moving to miami, and KD has yet to do so. maybe he needs a coach to push the right buttons before he can figure it out. but i didnt blame coaching for kobe falling short, or lebron falling short so im not going to blame coaching for when kd doesnt get it done.

while shaq throws stupid numbers out he has the right mentality when it comes to being an all time great, you have to just take it upon yourself and go out and dominate, no excuses. dwight dominated the blazers by doing exactly what shaq had been asking him to do, run down to the block, demand the ball and do work. he did and he started looking like a top 3 player again.

when you think you're the best player in the world (im sure kd does) then you have to trust your ability and just go out and dominate. let the coach worry about all the other stuff going on around you, but you as the #1 guy should be trying to make plays for your team, no excuses. 

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/15523/it-all-starts-with-lebron-james

Spo realized he didn't use LeBron as effectively as he could've in that first season and worked to make adjustments.
this is where coaches make the biggest difference, players are always looking to get better, great coaches know how to push players along the right path. 

spo tells lebron hey lets try this it might work, lebron gives him his opinion and they brainstorm a way to make the most of his talents

just like phil telling mj and kobe about how they need to trust their teammates

great coaching like this big picture longterm stuff.

when there are 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter and you're the best scorer in the world its on you to figure out how to exploit the holes in the defense and make plays. scott brooks was not telling kd to turn the ball over or not get back on defense.

coaching matters big picture, when talking about a 4th quarter its on the players to make plays and the okc players (not just kd) had plenty of chances to win the game without anything to do with scott brooks

i have spent most of my life watching the lakers win because of kobe hero ball while playing under the greatest coach of all time. at the end of the day its about your star player making more plays than the other teams star players

cp3 made more plays on both sides of the floor than KD today

KD isn't blameless, a few of those late turnovers were lazy, but you can't just post KD 20 feet from the hoop over and over using up most of the shot clock in the process only for him to get doubled and have the possession turn to ****. This is what Scotty's job is, run a pick and roll, run him off some screens, do SOMETHING that involves ball movement/player movement.

thats why i wanted to see the full 4th quarter again, i dont remember when and how timeouts were used

from what i remember half the damage (how clippers scored) was done on cp3 pick and rolls and the other half fast break layups

brooks should have told his players to get back on D rather than ball watch after the shot expecting an O rebound

KD's turnovers were 100% him, you cant really fix that with coaching other than telling him to calm down or something and both turnovers resulted in fastbreak layups

the coach can be blamed in all losses but its lazy to put all the blame on scott brooks and ignore that the players played poorly in the 4th quarter, nt seems to love to blame coaches for everything bad that happens to their teams

spo has improved as a coach but the jump from 11 to 12 was largely due to lebron changing his mentality. nothing comes easy in the nba, you cant just have more talent than everyone else and cruse to a championship. you have to come out ready to kill and earn it. jordan had to figure out how to efficiently use is talent, kobe did to after shaq left and he had his do it on my own phase. in both cases jackson showed them the way. lebron figured it out after moving to miami, and KD has yet to do so. maybe he needs a coach to push the right buttons before he can figure it out. but i didnt blame coaching for kobe falling short, or lebron falling short so im not going to blame coaching for when kd doesnt get it done.

while shaq throws stupid numbers out he has the right mentality when it comes to being an all time great, you have to just take it upon yourself and go out and dominate, no excuses. dwight dominated the blazers by doing exactly what shaq had been asking him to do, run down to the block, demand the ball and do work. he did and he started looking like a top 3 player again.

when you think you're the best player in the world (im sure kd does) then you have to trust your ability and just go out and dominate. let the coach worry about all the other stuff going on around you, but you as the #1 guy should be trying to make plays for your team, no excuses. 

I can't speak for everyone but this is why Brooks is to blame. He's often got the wrong lineup on the floor. He's got plenty of talent on the bench to do what needs to be done; this was evident when Russell was out for surgery and Okc never skipped a beat, played better IMO defensively, offensively, and efficiently. He's got talent not being utilized and that is 100% his fault. You expect the guys on the bench that should be in at certain times to check themselves in when they see the mismatch etc and Brooks doesn't. This coach being irrelevant talk I can see when we are talking about clear player errors and that not being a coaches fault, but to outright dismiss the importance of any Coach period, dude that's crazy. Go to work tomorrow and tell your boss that you and his employees know how to do your job, and that he should shove off, see what happens.

you could also say that it shouldnt take most of the shotclock for KD to get in position to catch the ball, its a part of KDs game that he has to work on.

kd usually catches the ball above the 3pt line but after the first time he tried that and got stripped he started trying to post up and looked scared to put the ball on the floor

he had no reason to panic when the double came and if he didnt panic posting him up would have been a perfectly fine play

Thing is, those post ups don't start behind the 3pt line, he just gets pushed there and yes it wastes the entire possession having Russ stand there and try to figure out the angle because KD can't seal smaller defenders behind him. And you're right, I wish during this the other 3 players were doing something more than just standing. Memphis, even when they did their ZBo iso post ups had cutters going through and things happening on the weak side and would routinely get a basket for like Udrih off it as a second option or counter. None of OKC's "plays" have an option B other than OK 5 seconds left Russ is like **** it and has to go 1 on 1 make something or KD just make a difficult shot.

That said, all 8 of his turnovers were on KD. Dude just lazily turns and throws the ball.

Imagine KD if he had Westbrook's level of confidence, aggression, and competitive fire or whatever you want to call it. It comes and goes for him, but usually he's pretty Beta

LOL funny to see all these KD slander

if this was lebron its over but again it comes with the territory i suppose for being the villain and the "king". While KDs personality make him likable and more immune to the media. 

I can't speak for everyone but this is why Brooks is to blame. He's often got the wrong lineup on the floor. He's got plenty of talent on the bench to do what needs to be done; this was evident when Russell was out for surgery and Okc never skipped a beat, played better IMO defensively, offensively, and efficiently. He's got talent not being utilized and that is 100% his fault. You expect the guys on the bench that should be in at certain times to check themselves in when they see the mismatch etc and Brooks doesn't. This coach being irrelevant talk I can see when we are talking about clear player errors and that not being a coaches fault, but to outright dismiss the importance of any Coach period, dude that's crazy. Go to work tomorrow and tell your boss that you and his employees know how to do your job, and that he should shove off, see what happens.
clippers didnt skip a beat when cp3 was out either, regular season games are regular season games. but a major reason why okc played well without westbrook is because KD was putting up more shots and went on his 35 ppg january run (might have that number wrong). at the start of the season i said kd needs to stop being a pushover and shoot the ball more, westbrook goes out and he starts dominating. westbrook comes back and hes back to being the second option. you can say brooks should handle the two star dynamic better but i think its on kd to speak up and demand the ball more. its how i felt about lebron and would feel the same way about kobe whenever he does something wrong. coaches play a huge role in the NBA but its also on the players to think for themselves and make the most out of their situations

Shot distribution has been fine this series, in fact Westbrook is shooting almost less than ever. He took 22 tonight, to KD's 24, again could have been higher if not for the 8tos and KD took like18 fts so it's not a far metric to use in this case, overly simplistic. I'm sure KD's usage was significantly higher than it is on average.

I don't get where everyone keeps saying a Durant isn't as confident, or as agressive, or as competitive. That he's to passive even. Durant takes most of his good shots available and is constantly assertive. His demeanor isn't the same as Westbrook but nobody in the league's demeanor is like Westbrooks. Doesn't mean he isn't as competitive. Westbrook just takes things more personal and it shows on his face and all over his game, that's not more competitive in my book, that's being more sensitive and revengeful.

I don't get where everyone keeps saying a Durant isn't as confident, or as agressive, or as competitive. That he's to passive even. Durant takes most of his good shots available and is constantly assertive. His demeanor isn't the same as Westbrook but nobody in the league's demeanor is like Westbrooks. Doesn't mean he isn't as competitive. Westbrook just takes things more personal and it shows on his face and all over his game, that's not more competitive in my book, that's being more sensitive and revengeful.
thats the thing, kd scores mostly off taking the good shots that are given to him. he would be better off if he pushed his limits a bit more and "forced" more shots up. if the defense gives you 10 good shots dont settle for that, be greedy and work for 15 shots. 

kd is not the kind of scorer to grind out a bunch of points, whenever he does score it seems effortless

He does though. What games do you watch. He's mad assertive, he doesn't just take shots given to him, he kills off the dribble creating, which is why Doc slowed that down today putting a guard on him to negate the dribble penetration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom