09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Arum said the Mayweather camp through
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer had agreed to the terms of
the fight but wanted it to take place on March 13. Arum told us then he
had to get Pacquiao to sign-off on the date otherwise it would be bust
and the fight may never happen.

boy they rolled over to mayweathers demands,smh moneys probably in the gym right now

A Fax from Gary Shaw to Richard Schafer after Hopkins' last fight
laugh.gif

elcej9.jpg

laugh.gif
@ "If Bernard decides to take on Danny Green instead, pleasewish him luck for me and know that I'm hopeful he will not break Roy's record of 122 seconds."

Honestly though, as much as I'm not as impressed with Dawson as everyone else is, I think that fight would just be Taylor-Hopkins 3, a close fight whereHopkins gets outworked and complains about judging. I'd love to see Dawson fight someone on the elite level, but everyone is tied up w/ the super 6tournament and there doesn't really seem to be any competition at 175 (maybe he can fight Bute?)

Manny is running for some political office so they couldnt fight later in the year . Floyd is a gym rat he is always there dont let him fool you .This is avery interesting fight though both guys will be in tremendous shape . They better make a god undercard cause we havent had a good one in a long time

If Chad does his mandatory little 4 round dance around the ring in a fight w/Hopkins he won't win. He has all the talent in the world so I have no idea whyhe does it. I've always said that if he fought up to his potential he would have no problem going down to 168 and dominating everyone at that weight class.

[h2]http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/12/04/09/pacquiao-oks-march-13-fight-vs-mayweather-report[/h2]
[h2](UPDATE) Pacquiao OKs March 13 fight vs Mayweather [1][/h2]
abs-cbnNEWS.com | 12/04/2009 8:26 PM

Printer-friendly version [2] | Send to friend [3] | Share your views [4]
MANILA - Seven-division boxing champ Manny Pacquiao has agreed to fight former pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. on March 13 next year.

"Abangan nila yung fight namin ni Mayweather. May kaunting inaayos na lang at sa tingin ko maganda ito," said the reigning pound-for-pound king. Earlier reports said Pacquiao could earn as much as $30 million in the mega-fight.

Top Rank chief Bob Arum met with Pacquiao on Friday regarding the possible match with Mayweather, who reportedly acceded to terms for a welterweight title fight with the Filipino superstar at 147 lbs.

"You see a smile on my face so I'm not disappointed [with the Pacquiao meeting]," Arum said during the announcement of a tie up between Top Rank and ABS-CBN Broadcasting network Friday afternoon.

He added: "Now my job is to go back to the United States, sit with Richard Schaefer (CEO of Golden Boy Promotions) and the Mayweather people…"My goal is that we can make a preliminary announcement sometime next week," said Arum.

Arum pushed for a March 13 fight date to give Pacquiao ample time to pursue his political campaign. The Filipino boxer has already filed his certificate of candidacy for Congress in May 2010.

Pacquiao trainer Freddie Roach, however, wanted a later date to allow his ward to fully recuperate from his fight against Puerto Rican Miguel Cotto.

"March 13 is too fast a turnaround," Roach told LATimes.com. "Manny has a broken
eardrum" suffered in the Cotto fight. "I'd like to have more time. I hope the fight happens, yes, but I want us to be in the best possible shape."

He said he prefers a Pacquiao-Mayweather bout on May 1.

Fight fans are clamoring for a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight to settle who among both boxers should rightfully be called the pound-for-pound king.

Mayweather, who won six boxing titles in five weight classes, was the best pound-for-pound fighter until he "temporarily retired from the sport in June 2008.

Pacquiao, then the No. 2 pound-for-pound, succeeded Mayweather's throne en route to winning his seventh world title in seven weight divisions last month.
as of 12/05/2009 12:49 AM

As reported earlier by BoxingScene.com's Ronnie Nathanielsz, WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao met with Top Rank's Bob Arum and signed off on a deal to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. on March 13, 2010. Arum told BoxingScene there would be some minor fine tuning of the contract terms but nothing that would stand in the way of fight going forward.

According to Pacquiao's trainer Freddie Roach, who spoke with Sky Sports, Mayweather is looking for 10oz gloves and a fight weight of 154-pounds. Pacquiao's side wants :nerd:z gloves and a weight limit of 147. Roach says the issues with the gloves and weight will be worked out. Roach will use WBA junior welterweight champ Amir Khan as Pacquiao's main sparring partner for the fight.

"We talked to Arum and he had the March date and May 1 available and Manny chose the earlier date because of the elections in the Phillipines, and I can't wait to get started," Roach told Sky Sports News. "It'll be the biggest fight of all time, the biggest pay-per-view event of all time and my main sparring partner will be Amir Khan."

"There's always negotiations, like he [Mayweather] wants 10oz gloves we want :nerd:z gloves, stuff like that, the weight he wants is 154lb, we want 147, so there's some issues but I think it can be solved. It's a tough fight because his style does give us difficulties, and we need to draft a plan for a new strategy. Yes, it's a tough fight but it's a fight Manny wants."

Former two time junior middleweight champion Fernando Vargas has hired Floyd Mayweather Sr. to train him as he attempts a comeback after a two year hiatus from the ring. Feroz is planning a ring return in the late spring or early fall.
why is Roach always trying to start stuff? you know good and damn well PBF ant ask for all that crap

and i have no idea why Sr is wasting his time with Vargas

Roach will use WBA junior welterweight champ Amir Khan as Pacquiao's main sparring partner for the fight.

They are going to have to spar like this so Pac-Man doesnt knock his *@! out:

6771684cdd04ec47eec84cc53186974fbbd0862a.pjpg

and i have no idea why Sr is wasting his time with Vargas
$$$$$$$

Why Amir Khan though? He doesn't have any head movement, any decent speed or any kind of chin. Waste of time if you ask me. Let that boy focus on his fightthis weekend and getting more action for himself set up for next year.

Mike he sees similarities with their career paths. W/Khan and Manny both being KOed at early stages in their careers. He's trying to build his name bybuilding back another fighter like that and trying to turn him into a Manny prototype. Khan may not have the speed but he does have decent power. That'swhere the similarities stop though.

The only way to beat floyd is physical advantages...height,speed ..someone like paul . manny doesnt really posses any tools tobeat money may cause he sure ashell aint gonna outbox him..he doesnt have the the length to out jab him and he doesnt have the kind of ring generalship to put floyd in a awkward positionplus manny's 5'6'' so the shoulder role is going to keep his connect %% dumb low and he is known to eat a counter punch or two....look for a kdby floyd , probably wont hurt manny but i see him going down in the mid rounds by floyds hook, highly doubt a ko

laugh.gif
@ that Gary Shaw letter

pimp.gif
@ Punishers confidence. He slowly becoming my favorite boxer. lookingforward to the fight.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
@ the fight finally being made official.

Floyd is going to shutout Manny. Mark my words.

159 Martinez, 157 Williams

I can see Martinez giving Paul some fits. But imma go with Punisher by SD.

[h2]Showtime to show Marquez-Vazquez IV[/h2]

Comment Email Print By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

Israel Vazquez and Rafael Marquez have already waged an epic trilogy consisting of 25 rounds of furious, non-stop action. Now, the Mexican warriors willclash for the fourth -- and final -- time, the promoters for both fighters told ESPN.com on Friday.

The deal for the much-discussed fight was completed following a final conference call between Marquez's promoter Gary Shaw, Vazquez's promoter andGolden Boy's Richard Schaefer and Showtime executive Ken Hershman, Shaw said.

The scheduled 12-round featherweight fight will take place May 22 on Showtime from the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

"We are done. We have agreed on everything. We're excited about it," Schaefer said. "We have May 22 and the date has been cleared withShowtime and Staples. Staples is really where I think the fight belongs."

The first three Marquez-Vazquez junior featherweight championship fights in 2007 and 2008 are considered one of the greatest trilogies in boxing history,with fights II and III each winning fight of the year honors.

In the first fight on March 3, 2007, Marquez, a former bantamweight champion, stopped Vazquez in the seventh round to win the junior featherweighttitle.

Vazquez exacted revenge in the rematch on Aug. 4, 2007, with a sixth-round knockout.

In the third bout on March 1, 2008, Vazquez rallied from a fourth-round knockdown to score a 12th-round knockdown that turned out to be the winning marginin a sensational split-decision victory to regain the title.

The fights were all brutal and took physical tolls on both men.

Marquez (38-5, 34 KOs), 34, didn't fight for 14 months until returning for a third-round knockout of Jose Francisco Mendoza in Mexico on May 23. Vazquezwas badly beat up as well and needed three surgeries on his damaged retina, which led to a 19-month layoff.

Vazquez (44-4, 32 KOs), 31, returned on Oct. 10 and struggled to a ninth-round knockout of Angel Priolo in Los Angeles.

Shaw and Golden Boy had hoped to have the fight on Feb. 27 at Staples Center, but Showtime didn't clear the date, electing not to put on a major fightthat month because of the winter Olympics.

The next available Saturday night at Staples Center wasn't until May 22, because of the arena's heavy professional hockey and basketballschedules.

Given how ferocious the first three battles were, the fourth fight -- which Shaw said will be dubbed "The Final Chapter" -- figures to be anotheraction-packed bout.

"Very rarely do you have fighters made for each other like an Arturo Gatti and Micky Ward, but these guys are made for each other," Schaefer said."They know this is the biggest fight for each of them at this point of their careers. If they fought other guys it would be OK, but they want to do itagain and their fans want it. I can't wait to see it again."

With Showtime paying $1.6 million for the fight and the camps on a 50-50 deal, it was the easily the biggest payday for each fighter.

Said Shaw, "It will be an exciting fight either way it goes. I think fight No. 4 will be the same as the first three. The only thing we don't knowis the winner. For those who didn't see I, II or II, they're in luck. Can see IV. It's only fitting the fourth fight is at Staples Center in LosAngeles because it's the West Coast mecca of big events. From Kobe and the Lakers to Michael Jackson laying down there, what could be better than the finalchapter of this fight to be in that arena?"

Back
Top Bottom