09 Boxing Thread:: 12/12 Diaz.vs.Malignaggi HBO/Bradley.vs.Peterson Showtime

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

laugh.gif
Bernard aint had an exciting fight since he beat Trinidad

d88361a149a2d82a05e3e7484dc6e9017a7db9aa.pjpg

laugh.gif
Gotta save this for later use.

anyone think manny wont be ready by march 13?

i think Team mayweather Knows what they doing with saying ok to the march 13 date
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

anyone think manny wont be ready by march 13?

i think Team mayweather Knows what they doing with saying ok to the march 13 date
laugh.gif

I think its a smart move. All indications are that Manny doesn't want to fight on the 13th and will be occupied with politics until May.

If Manny doesn't take this fight, it will swing public opinion and Mayweather won't be accused of "ducking".

Didn't Floyd Ok March or May before Manny decided to throw to run for office?

Pac man has always sounded hesitant about fighting MM to me.

I see this as a b_ move on his part.

How many things are you going to do at one time? And why run for office right now at the peak of your career?

laugh.gif

If this fight actually goes down S&T is gonna explode.

Manny has everything it takes to beat Floyd...I just want to see this finalized.

I don't understand how hes just jumping into politics now of all times. I know he ran before and failed but as a HoF boxer nothing should come before amatch of this magnitude, especially not some empty political title. After he beats Mayweather his legend would be even bigger and that seat would still be hisduring the next election cycle. Plus he could actually devote the time to doing his job duties...and is he going to halt his boxing career for the next coupleof months/years to actually take this position seriously, or is this all for show? Any other fighter would have gotten ripped by the media for something likethis.

I'm not understanding this move at all.

This thread gains 2 or 3 pages every damn day

I can't keep up

what happened to the old 2007 days when it got bumped like once every two weeks...were we still on EZboard???

laugh.gif

http://

Scandal-plagued Victor Conte is back
Man at center of BALCO doping probe oversees small stable of pro athletes who use his recommendations on supplements andbreathing machine. Anti-doping official questions why anyone would trust him.
By Lance Pugmire

December 3, 2009 | 8:23 p.m.

Andre Ward just became the WBA world super-middleweight boxing champion. Outfielder Marlon Byrd doubled his season-high homerun total this year for the Texas Rangers. In March, British sprinter Dwain Chambers ran one of the five fastest 60-meter times in history.

Each has been assisted by a man who earlier this decade orchestrated one of the darkest scams committed in sports history:Victor Conte.

Conte, founder and head of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative (BALCO), distributed then-undetectable steroids to some of theworld's most talented athletes, including Olympic star Marion Jones, the personal trainer of baseball's all-time home run king Barry Bonds, boxer ShaneMosley, baseball sluggers Jason Giambi and Gary Sheffield and some NFL players.

BALCO was raided by federal investigators in 2003 and Conte later pleaded guilty to steroid distribution and money laundering and served four months in federalprison.

Conte has now re-emerged with a new firm called SNAC (Scientific Nutrition for Advanced Conditioning) in San Carlos, and inthe last year has started working with a small stable of pro athletes.

SNAC sells legal nutrition supplements, Conte says, and encourages use of a high-tech breathing machine for what he callsintermittent hypoxic training (IHT) that simulates high altitude and triggers the body's production of red blood cells.

Travis Tygart, chief executive of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, said an altitude simulator is not prohibited by authorities,but he scoffed at the value of the device and was blunt about Conte rejoining the athletic community.

"To sell a dirty supplement is easy -- convicted felons can do it -- so who knows what's in this stuff?" Tygartsaid. "I believe everyone deserves to be rehabilitated, but I question why any elite-level athlete would think anyone like this would have a secret recipethat can work so well. For the life of me, I can't imagine why anyone would associate with someone like this who's made so many mistakes in thepast."

But Ward said he used a $4,000 IHT unit from Conte for "about 10 or 11" of Conte's prescribed 15 dailytreatments while preparing for his Nov. 21 win over Mikkel Kessler. Ward downplayed the IHT training in his win, although he said that, "By the 11th[round], I caught my second wind. That's when I caught" Kessler.

Said Conte about Ward's championship run: "It's worked exactly as I hoped it would."

Conte said he's provided his nutritional supplements to Ward and other athletes, including heavyweight boxer EddieChambers, who will fight Wladimir Klitschko for a world title in March.

Chambers says he uses many Conte products, from energy shakes to pills that help him recover from weight-lifting sessions andallow him to sleep better. He said he plans to use IHT training before the Klitschko bout.

"Victor's been through the depths of trouble," Chambers said. "For him to come back and try again, he hasto be straight and prove himself because so many people are watching him."

Another athlete working with Conte is Kyle Kingsbury, an Ultimate Fighting Championship light-heavyweight. Kingsbury praisesConte's products for "helping my cardio. Everything he's done with me has been a difference maker."

But Conte says "the stigma's still there" about any of his athletic involvement. After Dwain Chambers ran welllast spring, and praised the scandal-stained Conte as "a father" type who assisted his effort, Chambers was scorned by track figures. Chambers was aBALCO client and was barred from the 2008 Olympics because of steroid use.

Conte also faces some legal headaches.

Mosley filed a civil suit against Conte, alleging the BALCO founder didn't tell him that "the cream" and"the clear" were performance-enhancing steroids Mosley used before his 2003 victory over Oscar De La Hoya.

However, Ward and Kingsbury both said they questioned Conte about his criminal past before working with him.

"I understand," Conte said. "But 100%, I want to be legal. And after six years, I believe some select athleteshave agreed that if someone does the crime and the time, there can be forgiveness. I'm fortunate they've allowed me to work with them. And thankful . .. I've learned. I'm clean. And if an athlete is using my products now, they're the last people in the world involved in performance-enhancingdrugs."

When BALCO was in business, Ward said he took Conte's zinc supplement ZMA -- the one Bonds advertised in muscle magazines.Ward said the supplement helped him feel energized.

But Ward said he laid down ground rules before working with Conte this year.

"Victor, I like you man, but don't go down that road with me," Ward said he told Conte. "Victor's abrilliant guy when it comes to this stuff, but I was still going to be watchful. I did my due diligence. I read all the labels. And I feel he deserves to beforgiven."

Kingsbury said he too felt comforted by Conte's vow to preside over a clean regimen.

"He knows if he gets caught again, it's game over for him," Kingsbury said. "And I know my livelihood is onthe line. . . . I'm fortunate Victor's switched gears from the science of getting bigger to the science of endurance. It's perfect timing for me.All the things I do -- jiu jitsu, muay thai, wrestling -- I need my cardio to be strong.

"I just think it's a cool thing that someone can mess up so big and still have a chance to be successful again."

now there may be nothing wrong with the stuff but why would you take anything dude gives out? your asking for trouble IMO

eek.gif

C'mon now. Victor Conte!? I mean the Feds are watching him and he's gonna try an play it straight.. but I still couldn't rock with dude.

That red blood cell stuff is the same #@!! he was preaching to Shane.

Anyone think Martinez has a good chance of pulling off the upset? I'm surprised Williams is so favored. Here are the odds:

Williams -350
Martinez + 275

I'm pulling for Williams but I can't help but think about the first Quintana fight and again we're dealing with a bigger, faster southpaw who givesa lot of movement. For those that don't know Williams brought in Quintana to his training camp so hopefully that will do him some good.

Jags, Paul trains with Quintana alot

used him for Winky Wright and Verno Phillips fight always thanks him in his shout outs after the match

and mannn I wouldnt be caught dead workin with Victor Conte

used him for Winky Wright and Verno Phillips fight always thanks him in his shout outs after the match

Oh okay, I hadn't heard him using Quintana in the past.� I was impressed with Williams defense against Wright since he pretty muchcouldn't find him after the first round.� Martinez presents a different type of offense, though, where he's the one moving around and looking to getand in and out.

Saw this on youtube.� It's Martinez vs a poor mans Paul Williams.� Obviously Williams is a different class of fighter but it's still interesting tosee.
http://www.youtube.com/v/lmaljUxppZM?f=videos&app=youtube_gdatahttp://www.youtube.com/v/lmaljUxppZM?f=videos&app=youtube_gdata

I'm pulling for Sergio, I think he's a good fighter with some decent power. One of those fighters that has Margarito as their lone loss. Put up a hellof a fight against him too. Good body puncher. It's an interesting fight but I'd think it'd be a lot more interesting if they were fighting at 154for Sergio's belt. He didn't feel like he should put his belt on the line on such short notice with such a low payday I guess.

Dealin with Conte bad move now everything they do will be under a microscope .

Martinez has a good shot in what should be a close fight . Williams will have to cutoff the ring and keep that jab in his face

I'm sure there's gonna be 5 more new topics about this
eyes.gif
ButI'll post this in here for us die hards:

PACQUIAO SIGNS OFF; MAYWEATHER FIGHT IS ON

By Ronnie Nathanielsz
PhilBoxing.com
Fri, 04 Dec 2009

pac_150x150.jpg
mayweather.01.150x150.jpg

The smile across his face and the twinkle in his eye gave Top Rank promoter Bob Arum away no matter how much he tried to be non-committal about a March 13 multi-million dollar fight for the ages between reigning pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao and the man who previously sat on the throne, Floyd Mayweather Jr.
[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
In a lengthy conversation with www.insidesports.ph, Standard Today and Viva Sports along with Dyan Castillejo ABS-CBN shortly after his arrival early Thursday morning, Arum said the Mayweather camp through Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer had agreed to the terms of the fight but wanted it to take place on March 13. Arum told us then he had to get Pacquiao to sign-off on the date otherwise it would be bust and the fight may never happen.

Arum met with Pacquiao at the New World hotel in Makati City Friday in the presence of only one other person - Pacquiao adviser Michael Konz. Arum said "I had a meeting this morning and we went over all the points and now I have to go back to the United States and sit with the Mayweather people and finalize some very minor aspects and then we'll have an announcement sometime next week.

Arum admitted "I am very excited and it was a good meeting and Michael (Koncz) was very constructive in the meeting, Manny was very alert and showed a tremendous knowledge of what he was doing and his problems of running for office and the March 13 date solves those to some extent."

Arum took the opportunity to emphasize that the Mayweather battle is "such an important fight for the Philippines that I just hope that Manny will be focused. I think that his congressional opponent (Roy Chiongbian) would do everyone a service including the great country of the Philippines by withdrawing from the race and take Manny's mind off politics so he can concentrate on the fight." However, Arum said "that's just my opinion. I'm not a Filipino and I can't tell people politically what they should or should not do."

We understand that the official announcement would be made on Tuesday, December 8 to coincide with Arum's 78th birthday.

He told us that on Thursday, December 10 both he, Schaefer and HBO Sports Ross Greenberg would meet with Jerry Jones, the owner of the Dallas Cowboys football team and the spanking, new state -of-the art $1.5 billion stadium to discuss their bid to stage the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight in Texas although the MGM Grand Garden Arena is also in strong contention to host the blockbuster showdown that has generated incredible interest around the world.

Arum said Pacquiao would train for two months possibly in Baguio City where he initially trained for the "Fire Power" showdown with WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto before continuing his preparation at Freddie Roach's Wild Card gym. He said Roach had no problem having the first part of Pacquiao's buildup in Baguio.

Arum said there were tremendous possibilities for the pay-per-view market for the fight with some estimates going wild at 5 million. However, he said Greenberg believes the Pacquiao-Mayweather war could do around 3 million homes to become the biggest in history, surpassing the 2.5 million homes in the Mayweather- Oscar De La Hoya fight.

The astute promoter revealed that this time around England which didn't carry the Pacquiao-Cotto fight on pay-per-view because of the David Haye - Nikolay Valuev heavyweight title fight has indicated they want Pacquiao-Mayweather as does the rest of Europe and Australia.

There was no mention of a revenue split but every conceivable indication is that it will wind up as an acceptable 50-50 split right down the middle and the eventual gross take of each fighter is likely to reach at least $20 million which in peso terms would mean almost a cool P1 billion when Pacquiao adds up his income from TV, pay-per-view and other ancillary rights in the Philippines.

Arum also disclosed that there would be no tax implications if Pacquiao trained in Los Angeles while the tax cut in Texas was the same as that of Las Vegas.

I've been thinking about it and I honestly don't know who to pick it this fight. And Arum better make this undercard amazing to make up for that @$++he threw at us for Manny/Cotto.

Bad Chad talking mess
laugh.gif

What now for Hopkins? Maybe Dawson

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 | Print Entry

PHILADELPHIA -- Chad Dawson, the young light heavyweight star, has been calling out Bernard Hopkins for ages, but Hopkins didn't have a lot of interest in fighting him. And who could blame Hopkins, with a potential big-money rematch against Roy Jones Jr. on the table for early 2010?

However, that was until Jones got knocked out by Danny Green in the first round Wednesday in Australia, hopefully bringing Jones' great career to a close once and for all.

Hopkins will attend to his business Wednesday night against Enrique Ornelas, but there won't be a fight with Jones now.

So, assuming Hopkins defeats the rugged journeyman, whom then shall he fight? He'd like to fight heavyweight titlist David Haye eventually, but that bout is a long way off, if not merely a pipe dream. Haye is saddled with a mandatory defense against John Ruiz in the spring and then probably a rematch with Nikolai Valuev. A fight with Hopkins is probably not feasible until at least late 2010.

So if Hopkins wants to fight on, and not sit and wait -- and he turns 45 in January, so time is running out -- maybe he'll fight Dawson, who is the opponent HBO would like to match him with. Maybe Hopkins will renew talks to fight cruiserweight champ Tomasz Adamek, who is now dabbling at heavyweight and expected to face former U.S. Olympian Jason Estrada on Feb. 6.

Kathy Duva of Main Events, Adamek's promoter, reminded me Wednesday that for a fight with Hopkins, Adamek would certainly fight at cruiserweight and defend his championship.

If you ask Dawson (29-0, 17 KOs) and his promoter, Gary Shaw, they don't believe Hopkins will face Dawson.

"He's on the run, like the one-armed man in 'The Fugitive.' Eventually the law catches up with him," Dawson said. "Well, I'm the sheriff of the light heavyweight division and I'm putting a stop to Hopkins' con. First he said he'd fight the winner of my [2008] fight with Glen Johnson. I won and Hopkins hid. Second, he said he'd fight the winner of my [Nov. 7] rematch with Johnson. I won and this time Hopkins chose to fight some guy named Enrique Ornelas, who has lost to almost every decent middleweight he's ever fought. And on top of that, the fight isn't worthy of being broadcast on HBO, Showtime or even ESPN2. Desperate people do desperate things. Hopkins knows that if he fights me, he's looking at a loss.

"Bernard, it's time for you to pack it in and get out of my division. If you're not willing to fight the best light heavyweight, move along and quit wasting everyone's time. Your deep well of excuses, along with your credibility, has dried up. You weighed 175 pounds for [Wednesday's] fight, Roy Jones was knocked out in 122 seconds today and HBO has a March date available. No more excuses. Get on board with HBO's original plan for us to fight each other, or as you told ESPN.com, go run 'a marathon to super-greatness' away from me."

Shaw told me that HBO is holding an April date for Dawson's next fight, but, like his fighter, he doubts Hopkins will fight him.

"I don't think Hopkins will ever fight Chad," he said. "I don't think he has any intention. I don't believe he wants to fight him. I think he realizes how big and how fast Chad is and [that] a safer fight is Adamek, who is much slower."

Dawson, by the way, handed Adamek his only loss in a light heavyweight title bout in 2007, and it wasn't even very competitive.

So what then for Dawson?

Shaw said one possibility is the winner of the light heavyweight title rematch between Canadians Jean Pascal and Adrian Diaconu, who meet Dec. 11. (Shameless plug: It's available live on ESPN360.com.)

"What about Green? He weighed 179 and starched Roy Jones," Shaw said. "He might come down to 175 or Chad goes up to 179, and we could go Down Under and it would be a huge fight."

Originally Posted by Jagshemash

Oh okay, I hadn't heard him using Quintana in the past.� I was impressed with Williams defense against Wright since he pretty much couldn't find him after the first round.� Martinez presents a different type of offense, though, where he's the one moving around and looking to get and in and out.

Saw this on youtube.� It's Martinez vs a poor mans Paul Williams.� Obviously Williams is a different class of fighter but it's still interesting to see.
http://www.youtube.com/v/lmaljUxppZM?f=videos&app=youtube_gdatahttp://www.youtube.com/v/lmaljUxppZM?f=videos&app=youtube_gdata
not nearly as active as paul , doesnt even double up on the jab

Back
Top Bottom