Wrestling Thread June 2-15 | 6/12 WWE Releases 10 Talents, JTG Still Employed

I do have random old wrestling mags, but definitely not that far back. Those articles are ones I just find randomly surfing.

Some of you may have heard the news today about budget cuts affecting the WWE touring Production/Backstage Crew. If you haven't, have a read

Some of you might be thinking why this is such a big deal. Well as someone who works backstage at shows like these for a living and has worked on WWE shows in the past, I'm here to explain.

But first I need you to not read further not just as a wrestling fan, but as someone reading about how sombody makes their living for themselves and their familes.

To start off with, the average salary of a WWE production/backstage crew member is anywhere between $40,000 and $75,000 a year. (Obviously this can change on depending on the contract and position and individual.) The crew member will spend around 300 days a year out on the road touring from city to city working on the TV shows, house shows, and PPV's as well as anything else in between. (This does not include the current iteration of NXT, as that is an entirely different production).

Here is a sample schedule of what a normal work week for WWE looks like. The typical day will start at 8am and will go all the way through to 230-3am. Then they hop in the bus and travel to the next city for the next show. Rinse, wash, and repeat for a year and you pretty much have an idea of the life.

Up until now, the WWE has paid for all travel expenses for the crew, including providing buses and airfare as well as hotel accommodations when needed. Now, due to budget cuts, these travel expenses have been removed and the crew is now responsible for their own travel.

This is a major problem for 2 major reasons.

1 The amount of traveling done by WWE is massive. If your paying your employee to travel all over the country nearly everyday, but now are expecting them to pay for that travel, it's going to cost the employee a very large sum of money, effectively it could cut thir yearly salary in half just on traveling alone, making working for the company seemingly pointless financially.

2 The physical and mental toll that touring has on someone is exhausting. The normal day to day workload of a WWE crew member is intense and physical, causing very long days and nights. Yes, wrestlers normally carpool or drive themselves to the show, but at tapings and raw there not expected to be there until 1pm on a showday. The crew is there 8am. Most nights the load out of the show won't finish until 3am, sometimes later. If your being expected to work this schedule AND drive and take care of your own travel expenses year round, your going to be in a very unhealthy and potentially dangerous situation and work enviorment.

So why is this happening? The WWE, since the release of the WWE Network, the WWE has created a new business model for itself to help reinvent the interest and future of Pro-wrestling. Unfortunately, they have not quite figured out all the bugs to the network, it hasn't been released internationally yet, and the company is attempting to present itself in a way it hasn't before, which although has been good from an entertainment point of view, from a business point of view it's been difficult to handle thinking so much out of the box and making a profit from it. Without getting to much into detail, the company has been losing money from PPV buyrates and it's recent NBC Universal deal has hurt the pockets of the company.

Haven't they done anything else to save money? See "Black Thursday" releases from last week.

Why is this such a big deal While the superstars are the face of the WWE, and the writers and corporate are the "brain", the crew literally make up everything else in the body that is WWE. Without them, there would be no show to showcase the talent. No ring, no lights, no cameras, no ANYTHING. These men and women literally make up what you see the WWE as that's not anything in-ring related. A massive blunder like this could potentially haul the giant machine that is WWE.

What do you mean Hault? I mean a walk out or mass quit of WWE by the entire production crew. A strike could even ensue. A good number of WWE crew members are represented by IATSE (International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees), the governing union body for stage hands in the U.S. and Canada. Word gets to them and a boycott will also ensue, which would cease all production of WWE as a whole (again excluding NXT)

Couldn't the WWE just hire another crew if people quit? Yes, but any smart, skilled crew member would look at the new deal and turn it down. They could hire less skilled/green crew members for less, but you get what you pay for. Reputation is everything in the backstage touring industry, it's a very very small world. Disney on Ice is an example of a touring show with a reputation of bad contracts and pay, with a very high turn around in employment. Many hands are asked if they want to join a tour, but most turn it down based on what they hear.

It's just traveling though, there still getting paid the same. Wrong. We've already said that even if they were making $50,000 yearly, if they had to pay their own travel expenses with that kind of schedule it would eat almost nearly half of that salary alone. Even writing it of tax wise would still not help. And who's to say the next thing the budget cuts affect is the working wage? Benefit cuts? It's a slippery slope, but CM Punk can bail on his work months before his contract is up but is still paid millions to watch hockey from his home from his contract.

Can they really shut down WWE's production schedule? in 2007 IATSE Local 1 in New York City shut down Broadway completely for 2 weeks during the busiest time of the season to fight work wages and hours, which they won.

So what can I do to help? If it comes to WWE shutting down production from a walkout or strike, support the cause. Don't illegally stream PPV's, and if you can subscribe to the network. Educate yourself and remember..

These are the people who make your favorite program and entertainment possible. Support my brothers and sisters in the backstage industry to fight for a workable living and a safe work environment.

Reddit squarecircle

Last edited:
I'm all for the backstage hands getting there strike on if they have to foot the bill on their travel expenses.

:x :x at them having to pay there own way on top of producing. I thought it was already bad for some if the lower tier wrestlers paying their own way with the 80K and lower salary they make, but I never thought about that happening to the production crew.

Good read.
Dat jab...

tumblr_lpn6i19Him1qkiqdko1_500.gif

That is not a good look for WWE. I love wrestling but I hope those folks walk out man. I hope they do. Make a stand. Can't wait to hear podcasts about this.

Speaking of podcasts, some good stuff out right now.

Stone COld: Court Bauer

Bauer + Pollack

New Cheap Heat

That is not a good look for WWE. I love wrestling but I hope those folks walk out man. I hope they do. Make a stand. Can't wait to hear podcasts about this.

Bauer + Pollack

New Cheap Heat

nice seg way to ur podcast promo :pimp:

Looking at the SD spoilers it looks like

Fandango

is turning face. So that's a thing.

Bauer + Pollack

New Cheap Heat

Add Jim Cornette. His past 2 interviews(Mr. Wonderful and Kevin Sullivan) were excellent

I keep anything before 2005 to myself because I know folks won't appreciate it. Especially if it is WCW. Kevin Sullivan 2 parter with Cornette was nice. Big Vader on Stone Cold's was nice too.

But I won't push yall anymore.......

I keep anything before 2005 to myself because I know folks won't appreciate it. Especially if it is WCW. Kevin Sullivan 2 parter with Cornette was nice. Big Vader on Stone Cold's was nice too.

But I won't push yall anymore.......

WCW / NWA > _______. imo I grew up on wcw I didnt even know wwf existed until like 93 94. Random but kevin Sullivan\beniot fueds greater than anything. Meng and barbarian >________ skinny rey jr alex Wright disco inferno goldberg ect :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom