Wrestling Thread: 4/11 TNA Impact LIVE - Bully Ray v Jeff Hardy TLC Match for the World Title

What is your favorite WrestleMania match of all time?

• Savage v Steamboat - IC Title Match (WM3)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hogan v Savage - Superpowers Collide (WM5)

• Warrior v Hogan - Title v Title (WM6)

• Warrior v Savage - Retirement Match (WM7)

• Bret v Owen (WM10)

• Razor v HBK - IC Title Ladder Match (WM10)

• Shawn v Bret - WWF Title Iron Man Match (WM12)

• Bret v Austin (WM13)

• Edge/Christian v Hardyz v Dudleyz - Tag Title Ladder Match (WM2000)

• Edge/Christian v Hardyz v Dudleyz - Tag Title TLC Match (WM17)

• Austin v Rock - WWF Title No DQ Match (WM17)

• Rock v Hogan (WM18)

• Michaels v Jericho (WM19)

• Benoit v HHH v HBK - World Title Match (WM20)

• Angle v Michaels (WM21)

• Michaels v Flair - Retirement Match (WM24)

• Undertaker v Michaels (WM25)

• Undertaker v Michaels - Streak v Career Match (WM26)

• Undertaker v HHH - No Holds Barred Match (WM27)

• Undertaker v HHH - Hell in a Cell, HBK Special Guest Referee (WM28)

• Total voters
Interview time.

Some interesting comments from all 3.

Excerpts from a John Cena interview. Link to the full article here.
John Cena recently spoke about the Rock and how the locker room looks at him. Here are the highlights…

On Rock Being so Successful: "I wish we had one guy with 10 percent of his vision and his aspiration," Cena told the AP. "When he gets a small opportunity, he kicks the damn door down and owns the horse. Often times here, we have Superstars that remind me of a hamster on the treadmill and those are the guys that usually complain. I don't take too kindly to them. I'm fortunate Rock's here and I'm glad he's here. He can show up whenever he wants."

On Stars Resenting Rock: "There are also some that feel as if their WrestleMania spot has been sacrificed for these future Hall of Famers. I don't understand or agree with it," Cena said. "If you want to be in that spot, to be a future legend or Hall of Famer, every week you need to learn. I don't understand any sort of resentment and I think it's very short-sighted."

On Rock Loving The Business: "I always knew he loved the business," Cena said. "He loves it so much now that he really is the busiest person in the history of the WWE. He's everywhere at once. He can do everything and still compete as WWE champion."
Full CM Punk interview with ESPN.
Depending who you ask, breaking The Undertaker’s undefeated WrestleMania streak would either be the best or worst thing that could happen for WWE. On one hand, if Undertaker loses to CM Punk Sunday night, it cements Punk’s legendary status and will help the wrestling promotion earn more money in the coming years by featuring the hated heel who put the 1 in Taker’s 20-1. From a passing-of-the-torch perspective, it’s the right thing to do for the business.

On the flip side, Undertaker means so much both on screen and behind the scenes in WWE, that as long as he wants to wrestle, his streak should remain alive as it’s one of the true selling points at each year’s big show. Besides, Undertaker beating Punk also keeps open the opportunity for John Cena to challenge the streak at WrestleMania 30 (talk about a money maker).

But not so fast, as I had the chance to get CM Punk’s perspective on his upcoming match, his recent use of the piledriver, and where he sees his career headed post WrestleMania.

Here’s what the controversial wrestler loaded with verbal pipe bombs had to say. Let the explosions begin.

ESPN Playbook: What would beating The Undertaker at WrestleMania do for your legacy?

CM Punk: I think it would do something tremendous for anybody’s legacy. Some people get excited just because they’re wrestling The Undertaker at WrestleMania, but I’m not really in awe of anybody I wrestle; I’m here to beat him. It’s one of the only things I can possibly do to top my career moment I had in Las Vegas when I cut that infamous promo.

Undertaker is known as the locker room leader in WWE. With him being gone for almost a year, who filled his role behind the scenes?

I’m not really sure anybody could fill Taker’s shoes, and I don’t think anybody is trying to, either. God help us all if I’m the leader, but when you look around the landscape, there’s really nobody else besides myself and John Cena. That’s about it.

The Rock took your title and broke one of the most historic championship streaks in years, then is too busy to attend every Raw leading into WrestleMania. Do you think it’s bad for the company when the champion isn’t even on the show?

I do, yeah, but it’s not my company, so that’s where we are with that. [laughs]

Do you hope for a third match against The Rock sometime in the future?

I don’t think it’s in the cards, but I wouldn’t say no to it.

Paul Heyman is acting as an advisor to both you and Brock Lesnar. Are we ever going to see you guys join forces in a tag team?

I’d love to. That’s actually something we’re discussing, yes.

How about a match against Brock? Is that something we can expect in the future?

I think that would be horrible for him. He doesn’t want to fight me.

Do you think fans appreciate enough all of the little things Paul Heyman does on screen that helps add to the atmosphere, like all of his facial expressions and the way he used to hold your belt high over his head?

I think the ones who are in on it do; and the ones who aren’t, they hate his guts. And that’s his job, to get people to hate him.

As a fan, what WrestleMania match are you most looking forward to watching?

Fandango versus Chris Jericho. You probably don’t believe me, but it’s true. I can’t remember the last time somebody debuted at WrestleMania, and Fandango is actually one hell of a talent, so I’m excited to see where this goes. Besides, it’s Chris Jericho. You can’t go wrong with a Chris Jericho match.

How about as a kid growing up, is there a WrestleMania moment that stands out as your favorite. Maybe something that happened that made you want to become a wrestler.

I only got to pay attention to what other people were saying about WrestleMania because I didn’t start religiously watching them until about WrestleMania X. Bret (Hart) versus Owen (Hart) is one of the best WrestleMania matches ever, so if anything made me want to become a wrestler, that match was it.

The Shield has debuted in huge fashion. What do you think of the potential of these three newcomers both as a team and individually?

I think there’s huge potential for all three of them. Roman Reigns came in as a relative unknown, but he’s more than pulled his weight. I think you can definitely see any three of those guys becoming a future world champion.

Looking at the WrestleMania 29 card, when the show is over, what do you think people are going to leave MetLife Stadium talking about the most?

My match. I’m out to prove people wrong again. I don’t think it’s a secret that I wanted to be in the main event at WrestleMania and I don’t think it’s a secret that people are like, “But you’re in one of the main events, you’re wrestling The Undertaker.” But I’m not one for consolation prizes. I’m out to steal the show, and I’m out to do the improbable. If I’m able to do that, that remains to be seen, but we’ll find out.

Your match against John Cena on Raw a few weeks ago was one of the best matches I’ve seen this past year. I like how he busted out the hurricanranna and you busted out the piledriver … it made the match feel special with these big moves. Can we expect something similar against The Undertaker?

Absolutely, especially with me. [laughs] You never know what I’m going to do.

Isn’t the piledriver a banned move? Did you get in trouble for doing it on Raw?

I sure did.

How did the move get banned? It’s something that has been in wrestling for years.

It has a bad history of injuries and accidents, so it’s better safe than sorry. It’s really sort of not worth it, but I wanted to show that I was really trying to win that damn match.

Funny how doing a move that is banned ended up working in your favor and giving the match a more epic feeling.

Funny how that works out sometimes.

You were on the cover of “WWE 13,” and now 2K Sports is taking over development of the new game coming out this year. Is there anything you’d like to see in the upcoming game that they weren’t able to capture in “WWE 13”?

Oh God, it will be interesting to see what they bring to the table, video game-wise. THQ always did such a great job. I can’t think of anything that they need to add. It’s always kind of creepy to look at myself in the game. It’s almost like looking at still photos.

I’m not sure about Undertaker’s health and if he’ll stick around much after WrestleMania, so after your big match this weekend, who do you see yourself feuding with next?

I would honestly love to tag with Brock Lesnar. If it was up to me, I would do that and take on Kane and Daniel Bryan or Dolph (Ziggler) and Big E., whoever has the straps after WrestleMania.
Excerpts from a Michael Cole interview.
Michael Cole recently spoke with Busted Open Radio about his rise in WWE, the Monday night wars and more. Check out the highlights:

On his start and his rise in WWE: "I got off on the wrong foot here in WWE for a bunch of different circumstances. Number one, I came from CBS News, so I came from outside the business. And this is back in 1997 where it's still the 'good ol boy' network, where if you weren't brought up and didn't pay your dues in the wrestling industry you had no business being here. Jim Ross is a guy who dedicated 30 years of his life to this business. He started as a referee, building rings and morphed his way into becoming an announcer and he had paid his dues, as most of the guys had. So I came in in 1997 and I was first employee that was ever hired by the company that was an announcer. I came from CBS Radio. I had been a wrestling fan but I had never been involved in it in any aspect. So I come right out of the blue and start doing shows on WWE. So there was immediately a backlash from the true hardcore fan. 'Who is this guy? How can he be talking about a product that I've watched for 25 years; I've never heard of him. He's not from the business. He's not from the industry.' Then I wasn't even able to get my feet wet and pay my dues here before Jim got sick with his bout of Bells Palsy. So when Jim got sick, all of a sudden, now I had been in the company for a year and they throw me now onto Monday Night Raw and PPVs and I was clueless. I had done sports before, so I knew how to go out and call action, but this business isn't just about calling action. It's about telling stories. It's about understanding the psychology and that was all foreign to me. So for four or five months I'm trying to fill the shoes of this legend who had been sick and I was thrown into that spot so there was a horrible backlash at that point. Rightfully so because I wasn't ready for that spot. I shouldn't have been in it. And then third, Vince Russo at the time who was our writer decides that this is great, let's make JR the bad guy; let's make him the heel and have him attack Michael Cole's character. It obviously turned out bad because I ended up being the bad guy because the perception was both within the storyline and in real life is that 'here's this young, punk kid coming out of the news world to replace the guy that I grew up with.' It would be like some guy from a local news station stepping in to replace Walter Cronkite on the news. I had all these things against me and when JR came back fans were like, 'thank god, this Cole guy sucks, he shouldn't be here,' and I stuck it out. I had seen so many things in my life covering news from wars and so many horrible things that I couldn't let this stuff affect me. I had a wife and family and that's who I loved and who I cared about and this other stuff was like, 'whatever, I'm not going to let these people affect me,' and I continued to move on and I went to do Smackdown and I did that show for 10 years, which was, to me, an incredible run, and finally in 2008 got drafted to Raw and the rest is history. I don't have any regrets at all. I thought and I still think that I earned that role. People still to this day can't stand me for replacing Jim Ross, and they think that JR and I have a terrible relationship because of the storylines that we've done, but we don't. Jim and I are actually real close and we do have a great relationship and Jim's been a great mentor to me and here we are today."

On the Monday night wars: "There was a ton of pressure. I was in over my head, and I'll be the first to admit that. I had been in warzones around the world and never felt the type of pressure that I felt in those few months leading up. Then I had to call Wrestlemania on top of it all, except for the main event, which we brought Jim back for, but it was an extraordinary amount of pressure which I wasn't ready for. But I always try to look at things from a positive standpoint; that really prepared me for what was coming over the next few years here in WWE and really becoming the voice of Smackdown and becoming the solid guy on that show and moving on to Raw and where I am today."

On his favorite announcing combination/preferences: "From an ego standpoint, I take pride in the fact that I'm able to do all of it. We don't get a chance to toot our own horns a lot but from an ego standpoint, and you have to have an ego to be in this business or any business. You have to have confidence. I take pride that I can do it all. One of the things that I've said about my career is that, love me or hate me, the one thing that I've been able to do that I don't think anybody would take umbrage with is the fact that I have been able to work with anybody they've given me. When I was on Smackdown, I worked with Jerry Lawler, I worked with Tazz, I worked with Mick Foley, I worked with Jonathan Coachman, I worked with JBL, I worked with Paul Heyman, I've worked with JR, I've worked with Josh Matthews, I've worked with Todd Grisham, Matt Striker, I've worked with everybody and I've been able to pull it off. So I take pride in that. Three man booth over 2 man booth? It depends who I'm working with. I love the three man booth with Jerry and John. JBL and The King. Love it. Then I'm really able to be that straight on host and direct the traffic. John's your heel, King's your baby face and I'm able to be that guy that delivers the information which is the role that I cherish because I think I do that well. 2 man booth, I love working with King and I love working with John. So any combination of those right now is preferable to me. I think the 3 man booth works a little bit better on Smackdown than it does on Raw because Smackdown is a show where there's not as much social media involvement, the matches are much longer. Raw you get three or four minute matches and social media so it's a little easier to navigate a two man booth on Raw with all the stuff you have to get in as opposed to Smackdown. I think that out of all the partners I've worked with I think that Jerry Lawler and JBL, either together or separately, have been my favorites."

On 3 Hour Raws: "I was actually excited initially and then when I sat through it for about two months I was like, 'oh my god.' The worst thing is, and it's nothing to do with the guys in the ring, because they're busting their humps every single time, it's the energy level. It's really, really difficult. Your mind really starts to wander. You get past 10 o'clock eastern time and your mind really starts to wander. So you've really go to focus on the task at hand. PPV's are weird; to me a three hour PPV goes by like that because its just concentration, you've got two other guys working with you to help carry the load, I don't know. For some reason the three hour Raw seems real long, but then other days, like last night in Washington DC for the go-home for Wrestlemania, that show flew by. I looked at my watch and it was quarter to eleven. I was like, 'holy cow, where did the show go?' Then there's other days where it's like 10:15 and you're like, 'oh my god, how do I stay awake? Get me another Red bull.' Again, it's nothing to do with what's going on in the ring or anything it's just mentally trying to stay focused and alert for that amount of time on live television. Smackdown is different. You can go out there and screw around and you make a mistake you can fix it if you have to. On Raw, you've got to watch everything you say. Its complete concentration. A lot of times the audience goes through peaks and valleys too throughout the show for three hours. The live crowd is up and down. So you have to try to get them going and get them up there. That's your job as a commentator, make every match and every superstar and diva interesting. It's difficult to do but it can be done. The thing about 3 hours is coming up with creative and different ways to say things, say different stories. How many times can we say The Rock's going to be here tonight? Ten times you're promoting it a show; you've got to try to come up with a different way to say it each time. There are a lot of things that go on that just a guy watching at home doesn't realize. Tweaking ways you say things and trying to drive you guys in the right direction on certain characters and giving background on guys and there's a lot of work that goes into this. Following Twitter, social media, oh my god that stuff is nonstop."

On Cena's having heat with the crowd: "I think there's a reason for that. Rock's fresh. He's not here all the time. Even during this run he's missed a few Raw's then comes back then miss a few Raw's, so Rock's fresh. He's different and he's bringing in a ton of new faces to our product because he's a movie star. Arguably the hottest movie star in the world right now. So he's bringing in a ton of new faces. He's fresh, people watch him, people think it's cool that a movie star is our champion. John is there every day. He's been there for a decade. He's in the trenches every single day. He's at every live event. He's on television every single week. He's at every single PPV. I think that there's a familiarity there. I think that fans of our product who watch it religiously and don't miss a show, follow the inside workings of this, I think that characters like John to guys like yourself can get stale. I think that's what our fans vocalize. I don't think its dislike for John Cena; I think they appreciate everything John does. John is the most wonderful human being on the planet. He's one of these guys, I'll preface this by saying he's one of my closest friends in the business, but John has not changed in ten years here. John is one of these guys who has never changed who he is when he became famous. He's the same guy that he was when he first walked in that door 10 years ago. He's the same guy that'll sit down in a lounge a chair and have a beer with you and put on some country music and shoot pool. He's that way today just like he was 10 years ago. John does so much and you cannot overstate what John does not only for this company but for the charity organizations out there. When you grant over 300 wishes and being as busy and in demand as John Cena is, that says something about the man's character. Granting 300 wishes, you're not doing that for publicity. The Susan G Komen for the Cure, we did the breast cancer awareness for the first time last year, that was all John's idea. John came to the company and said, 'hey, listen, let's do this.' Next thing you know, we've got pink ropes and the pink ribbon all over the place and it was John's idea. He felt passionately about that. So I don't think the fans, unless they're idiots, which I don't think our fans are, some maybe, but I don't think it's a dislike of Cena personally. I don't want to see [a heel turn] happen. I love John how he is from a character standpoint. He loves the adversity. The one thing about John is that John will start out getting booed out of the building, whether he's in a match or a promo, I guarantee you by the end of the match the fans are going to be applauding him and standing on their feet for what he either said or what he did in the ring. No matter what happens Sunday at Wrestlemania, no matter what happens in that match with Rock, I guarantee you that there will be a show of respect for both Cena and Rock at the end of that match. They may boo Cena out of MetLife Stadium, which they probably will because it's a New York crowd, but I guarantee you by the time that's over there will be respect there."

On his favorite calls and matches: "There were two that stand out. I've been doing this for so long, people always ask me, 'what was your favorite match?' 'What do you think of this rivalry?' I don't remember. I don't remember what happened two weeks ago sometimes on Raw that's why I keep unbelievable notes in my iPad because I seriously don't remember. We do so much programming, I call so many shows it's hard to keep this stuff straight. But the one match that really stands out for me is the night, it was in February a number of years ago, I think it was No Way Out PPV, it was the night that Eddie won the WWE Championship from Brock and that call to me was my favorite, still to this day because I was real close with Eddie and I felt that that night when he won. This was really the crowning achievement for him. I lived through him with that. I called Mick Foley's first championship match. I was sort of thrown into that because that's when JR was sick so I really didn't know what I was doing. I told Mick the other day that I wish that it happened like 5 years later so I could actually know what I was doing when I called it. Mick said, 'hey, you did fine, it was wonderful.' But the Eddie-Brock match was one. Undertaker-Shawn Michaels was a very emotional one. Shawn and I over the years had become really close. I can tell this story because Shawn and I talk about it all the time, we've actually talked about it on a DVD; I couldn't stand him when I started in this company. I could not stand him for a number of reasons. But when he came back from his injury we got to know each other and got real close. We both live in Texas. We have a lot of the same interests; we hunt, we fish together. Actually, I'm the voice of his outdoor show, Macmillan River Adventures, on the Outdoor Channel. Calling that match to me was very emotional. The third match was last year's Wrestlemania between Rock and Cena. It was fabulous, tremendous match to call. Probably thinking about it now, probably the best match I've ever called was the one a few weeks ago when Cena beat Punk to keep his opportunity to face Rock at Wrestlemania. It was like a three or four segment match on Monday Night Raw. It was incredible match and obviously when the guys have matches like that it makes our job easier. I very rarely at this point in my career go back and listen to a match that I called. I just don't do it. I've got so much stuff going on that I just don't have time. But I actually went back and listened to that match and I was very, very proud of that work. I had both Punk and Cena come to me and say, ‘listen that was fabulous.' I think a lot of it has to do again with the fact that, remember how JR was Steve [Austin]'s guy and JR got really emotional because him and Steve were so close. I think a lot of that happens with John and I because I am close with John. It's just like anything else, when you're emotionally attached to something, you're going to be a little more into than you normally would. Plus that match was fabulous anyway. That was probably the favorite match that I've ever called."
I'll have the 2nd part of N&N up later.

Last edited:
My vote

I have to give it to the Edge/Christian Vs. Hardyz Vs. Dudley Boyz in WM 17.  That TLC match was
eek.gif
pimp.gif
.  On-par with the Mankind Vs. Undertaker Hell In A Cell Match.  Almost gave it to Chris Benoit winning the belt in WM 20, but that would've been on emotion rather than the actual match...

About WM X7; I'm pretty sure most people consider it one of the top Wrestlemanias of all time , but it had a pretty ****** build (kinda like this years). Austin/Rock revolved around Debra being made into manager for Rock, HHH/Taker started up cause HHH messed with Takers bike, and a bunch of other matches were just thrown together like Angle/Benoit and TLC II. Vince/Shane probably had the best build out of all the matches
laugh.gif
i remember thinking that the build-up to trips/taker was so quick. didnt they start their feud all of about 2 weeks before the actual show? Something like that

Voted for Rock-Austin 17. Perfect match to close the chapter/era that made me a Wrestling fan forever. Have no doubt if the tools that were around today to promote were in place back then, 17 would be the highest buyrate of alltime. Perfect WM IMO.

Damn it you stole my thunder...but yeah, I voted the same. :lol: :pimp:

One of my fav. matches of all time and is still my sentimental fav. from Wrestlemania. From a technical standpoint, there are other matches on the list that were better but few delivered as well as Austin v. Rock did with as much at stake. Major reason why is because everything else related to it was GREAT as well. Austin vs. Rock also had:

- GOAT video package

The Rock vs Stone Cold Steve Austin promo... by darcatch

- amazing story told throughout their match that encompassed the entire feud
- took place at the GOAT Mania and put the finishing touch on the show (perfect, as you described it)
- one of the biggest swerves ever
- two biggest stars having their best match at the peak of wrestling's popularity
- made the WWF Title more important by the end of that night than at ANY other point EVER. The fact that Austin had to align with Mr. McMahon and "turn his back on the fans" just to win the match, beat Rock and become champion goes to show how much value the company's biggest title had at the time.
- countless other hyperbole that I don't feel like typing up :lol:

And funny enough, there are elements of that feud which Cena vs. Rock also share. Sadly, they're not capable of duplicating that work (or WWE prefers to do something else). 

EDIT: SMH @ the video not embedding but I see it in post preview. The link works though.

My Way makes the video package great :pimp:

The my way and any of those numerous Creed song packages were always 
pimp.gif

- AJ Lee and Divas Champion Kaitlyn may be added to the Kane and Daniel Bryan vs. Dolph Ziggler and Big E Langston match at WrestleMania 29, making it a six-person match with all titles on the line. WWE may save AJ and Kaitlyn for RAW but word is that the group of AJ, Ziggler and Langston are scheduled to get a big push coming out of WrestleMania.

having all 3 of them with a belt would be cool i guess, and allowing ziggler to cash in at mania or on raw the next night would make it better

Largely due to numerous complaints, Mick Foley is apparently going to be on the Hall of Fame broadcast on Tuesday.

Foley credited the change to Santa Claus talking to Vince McMahon.  I can't confirm that was the real source of the change, and it's more likely the negative reaction the company has gotten over it the past two days.

The my way and any of those numerous Creed song packages were always 
pimp.gif

Any time one of those Creed "My Sacrifice" packages would come on I'd immediately mark out..The one thing you can never take away from WWE is they know how to put a promo video together to get you hyped beyond belief..Hell with the right song and video I'd get hyped for a Santino/Khali match..

My boy just posted a pic from the gym with NT's fave, Fandango and Justin Gabriel. Apparently they're both pretty humble outside of the ring.

And that right there is why SCSA is thee greatest of all time..No one, even Hulk, was bigger than Austin..

Largely due to numerous complaints, Mick Foley is apparently going to be on the Hall of Fame broadcast on Tuesday.

Foley credited the change to Santa Claus talking to Vince McMahon.  I can't confirm that was the real source of the change, and it's more likely the negative reaction the company has gotten over it the past two days.

Happy for Foley that he gets air time. That's pretty much well-deserved. I know it's Vince's call but Trump over Foley was ridiculous to begin with.

Donald Trump is such a joke..I know Trips hates Mick, but even he should realize the fans want Foley and Trump..I hate that they have celebrities in the HOF..It's just flat out ******ed..

Since that list says favorite and not best, I have to go with Benoit/HBK/HHH. Holds a lot of sentimental value to me even though it's forever tainted. HBK and Benoit are probably 2 of my all time faves, and I was 100% behind Benoit to win it. The atmosphere was great, the fans were ******** all over HHH anytime he did anything, HBK naturally heeled it up, and Benoit finally climbed that mountain top. That picture of him and Eddie is iconic, yet won't ever be appreciated publically again.

Another all time fave for me isn't on the list, which is Austin vs Rock from WM X9. Their previous matches may have been better, but Hollywood Rock was on 9000, and you knew this would be Austins last match. The match was mostly finisher finisher finisher, but these are 2 of the only guys you want having that type of match. Always thought it was cool to see Rock and Austin talk for a bit after Rock pinned Austin, when he shoved the ref out the way to not hear him.

--Brock Lesnar is doing no media at all, which tells you what a sweet deal he cut.  He was difficult for UFC, but he did do at least the major media.  Paul Heyman is out there doing the media, but Lesnar could get sports media that it would be difficult for others to get.  Lesnar didn't even speak at the press conference, nor did Undertaker. 

Back
Top Bottom