Wrestling Thread 2/25-3/10 | 3/10 TNA LOCKDOWN PPV - Hardy v Bully Ray | Champion No Showing?

Jim Ross @JRsBBQ
Going on now at sportstalk1400.com. Call me at 1-866-355-5733 or listen online. @Sportstalk1400

Crazy.
tired.gif

Taker and Paul Bearer scared the hell out of me as a youngin'.

Suprised by how young Paul Bearer, thought he was in his late 60s at least.

R.I.P.

Just got in and asked JR a few questions.

I asked him about Muta and asked him about the cruiserweights.

He basically said the hardcore fans are the only ones that want the division back. He really doesn't see it happening forreal.

He sang Muta's praises. He said Muta was already past his prime when WWE would have brought him in. Knees shot.

Damn :smh:

Paul was a big part of Takers career back in the day.

The combination of Undertaker and the creepy old guy scared the hell outta me as a kid. They probably had the best Wrestler to manager chemistry ever.

Still get goosebumps watching this :pimp: :pimp:

:rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:
Didn't know Paul Bearer was just 58 either. Good looks on that Bearer promo civic, remember that one like it just happened

Didn't know Paul Bearer was just 58 either. Good looks on that Bearer promo civic, remember that one like it just happened

I agree. He was definitely convincing in this promo which is one of my favorites of all time. It was also nice to hear this in its entirety without the stupid crowd yelling "What!" every time there was a pause.

We'll never get that kind of respect again. :smh:

This is the whole promo. The one I posted earlier was edited... Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here but this one at the end especially shows how emotional and convincing Paul was.

no way is paul bearer top 5 manager. NO WAY. dont let your emotions get the best of you...
Absolutely he is. Undertaker NEVER gets to the heights he has reached without Paul Bearer. Taker came in as a dude that personified pure evil. If he talked then that feeling is broken. But if he didn't talk, there is no way to tell the stories and add to the legend of the Undertaker. That's where Paul Bearer came in. Dude did most of the talking until Taker's first title. 

5 Facts about Paul Bearer

1. Moody was a military veteran and a licensed mortician.

The wrestling star was born in Mobile, Alabama in 1954. He served in the United States Air Force for four years after high school, starting in 1972, during the Vietnam War.

"I was blessed that I didn't have to see any of the horrible battles," he wrote on his blog. "Staying stateside I was able to begin my professional wrestling training. Believe it or not, I was in the best shape of my life. I was in the gym or the ring almost every day. I was young, and hungry to live my dreams."

He then became a licensed mortician - in real life. During his time in the Air Force, he worked part time as an Emergency Medical Technician.

"Frequent visits to local Funeral Homes sparked my interest in Mortuary Science," he wrote on his blog's bio. "So oddly enough, my life has always been Wrestling and Funeral Service.

He received a degree in Mortuary Science as well as a Funeral Director/Embalmer's Certification from San Antonio College in Texas and began to work as a mortician. Funeral participants sometimes got a little star-struck.

"I'll have a family in my office, and all of a sudden one of them will look up and say, 'Oh my gosh, Grandma's funeral is being done by Paul Bearer!'" he told the Michigan-based MLive.com in 2011.

"Southern folks are a little bit different in that wrestling is probably bigger than it is to northern folks. I've often had people ask me to stand up next to grandma or grandpa's casket for a picture," he said. "Of course, I have to decline as politely as I can, because that's obviously not appropriate. I'll offer them a chance to come back to my office for an autograph or something, but that's it."

2. Moody lost his wife to cancer.

Moody's wife of 31 years, Dianna, died in 2009 after battling breast cancer.

"When my wife was first diagnosed with cancer in 2001, Vince and Linda and company were always there for me," Moody said in a 2010 interview with the theScore radio show "Right After Wrestling." "When my wife passed away, they were reaching out and taking care of me."

3. Fans liked him so much, they gave him gifts.

He made his wrestling debut in his early 20s in 1974 under the name Mister X. He later began managing other wrestlers. In 1978, he went by the name Percival Pringle III.

Moody joined the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) in 1990. His character was a funeral director. In addition to The Undertaker, he also managed wrestlers such as Kane and Rick Rude. He wore a black suit, black and white makeup and carried around an urn, which known as a magic power source for The Undertaker. His catchphrase was "Ohhh yyyes!"

Moody left the WWF in 2002 and later joined the WWE.

"Most managers were bad guys," he told the Gadsden Times in 2005. "I never had to work at being a bad guy. Fans give me stuff all the time. They make little caskets for me."

4. He struggled with obesity and had gastric bypass surgery. Vince McMahon paid for it.

In 2003, the wrestling star underwent gastric bypass surgery. He said in a 2005 interview with GamingRing Radio that at the time, he weighed more than 520 pounds.

"I've always been heavy, in fact I was morbidly obese (before WrestleMania XX)," Moody said on "Right After Wrestling" in 2010. "And [WWE CEO] Vince McMahon picked up the $35,000 tab for the gastric bypass surgery. There's no doubt in my mind, if I didn't have that surgery, I wouldn't be here today, I would have died long before my wife did."

Moody posted "before" and "after" photos on his blog in 2004.

"Last year I felt like I was trying to swim against a current that was too strong. There was a waterfall not too far down stream, that would no doubt end my life," he wrote "My Gastric Bypass Surgery gave me a row boat to paddle my way up the river, away from the danger ... I felt like an old violin, that had been put away never to be played again. Now I am back out of the case, freshly polished, with new strings and all.

5. Moody was a grandfather.

Moody is survived by two sons and three granddaughters.

Moody told the MLive.com in 2011 that he performed at wrestling events "usually two or three times a month," adding: "I'm a grandpa now with three granddaughters (ages 4 through 7). They all understand what I do, especially the 4-year-old. Her daddy wrestles locally down here, so she's really into it."

Last edited:
no way is paul bearer top 5 manager. NO WAY. dont let your emotions get the best of you...
:lol: Yea I didn't want to be THAT dude.

I mean he can be Top 5 if you completely ignore WCW/NWA history.

And I am bothered that none of these manager lists have Gary Hart on them

Last edited:
- WWE Legend Superstar Graham has published a new Facebook post on why he wants WWE to remove him from the Hall of Fame. Here’s what he wrote:

“In 2011 I became one unhappy retired wrestler when WWE inducted into its Hall of Fame Abdullah the Butcher (Larry Shreve). Not just because Shreve had never worked for the WW(W)F or stepped foot inside Madison Square Garden, not just because my good friend Randy “Macho Man” Savage was passed over in the honors list of that year, but because Abdullah actually is a butcher in a disturbingly real sense.

Now we all know that pro wrestling is largely make-believe. The trouble is that many of us end up losing the ability to distinguish fantasy from reality. The temptation to become in real life the characters we create in the ring can sometimes become just too overwhelming. I’m afraid that’s the case with this WWE Hall of Fame inductee. For decades Larry Shreve has played the blood-lusting Abdullah the Butcher, a maniac psychotic enough to qualify as a Canadian-born Hitler, another Fuehrer.

Well, losing touch with reality is one thing; losing respect for other wrestlers’ rights is another, and in my view the “Butcher” has blotted his copybook big time by becoming a suspected spreader of Hepatitis C through his negligence when blading in the ring. The Butcher, who is Hepatitis C positive Genotype 2 is currently facing allegations of negligence, assault and battery in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice stemming from an unsanitary blade assault in a 2007 professional wrestling match. Nicholson is being represented by Ronald Caza in the case. Caza, of the Caza Saikaley law firm is one of Canada’s most eminent lawyers.

In this link (youtube.com/watch?v=0rN4FI8yqq8) you will see how Shreve, in a match against Hannibal (Devon Nicholson), cut his own head with a razor blade and then cut the forehead of the unsuspecting Nicholson. It’s alleged that the end result of this assault was Nicholson, a healthy young man at the time who was just beginning a promising career, contracting Hepatitis C. How many others wrestlers have contracted Hepatitis C thanks to Abdullah’s indifference to the danger he poses regularly to his fellow workers? Nicholson is now in the middle of a 9 month regimen with disturbing side effects to rid him of this disease.

In my opinion every time “The Butcher” behaves in this utterly irresponsible way, cutting the foreheads of other wrestlers, it is as if he is attempting murder, because the fact is the Hepatitis C can kill. I take no pleasure at all in saying this. Larry Shreve was once a friend of mine and it has saddened me to see him sink into such anti-social behavior. But right is right and wrong is wrong and never the twain shall meet. WWE, with its powerful influence on our vulnerable youth in these increasingly immoral times, should be strongly condemning life-threatening gimmicks in the ring, not rewarding them, and Larry Shreve needs to take stock of his actions and the tragic effects they have had on others. The world of pro wrestling is a rough and tough one, and none of us has a lily-white record when it comes to personal behavior. But carelessly spreading a deadly disease in the name of “entertainment” is beyond a joke. So hopefully now you will all have a better understanding of exactly why I asked WWE to remove my n

Superstar Billy Graham”

Back
Top Bottom