What was your starting salary like STRAIGHT OUT OF COLLEGE?

Originally Posted by ThaPeoplesChamp

this is what i never understood...and this doesnt apply to all but...

i gotta friend who went to school for like 6yrs...
graduated and now makes like 35k and will probably top out at
45k a yr....

i found a gig and ran with it and was making that while he was in school...
i mean... whats the deal?
Luck maybe? I'm making 36k now with no college(shouts out to NTer shapeshifter..he's the man when it comes to resumes) I do have alot ofcerts tho..

B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Florida A & M University

Nuclear Engineer/Inspector - US Government

I started out on at somewhere around 50K and got automatic promotions every year for 4 years up to 88K. However, with cost of living adjustments and apromotion to GG-14 I got to over 100K in 5.

Here is the current pay progression for the program that I came into.

(2009) Present $60,139 (GG-7)

(2010) At 1 Year $65,255 (GG-9)

(2011) At 2 Years $71,802 (GG-11)

(2012) At 3 Years $82,335 (GG-12)

(2013) At 4 Years $107,094 (GG-13)

for those who are getting ready to apply for an entry level position, the government is in the process of upgrading the salary for entry level gs 5 to 7positions by about 8 thousand. I will try to find the article but this should be good news to those who want to get in this sector

Never went to College...Admin. Asst. 2 = 52,000 at 22 years of age..But imma go in the fall for Radiation Therapy @ UMD...

Originally Posted by CParkFresh

I started out on at somewhere around 50K and got automatic promotions every year for 4 years up to 88K. However, with cost of living adjustments and a promotion to GG-14 I got to over 100K in 5.

pimp.gif
Good stuff man.

Graduated two weeks ago with a BS in Animal Science.. if I go into my government job right now I'll be at GS 7 (about 40k) but I'm going to vet schoolin the fall... After that I'm either going straight into government or specializing in an area, because the most a veterinarian will make with no specialtyis about 90k.
grin.gif
Security of a government job FTW though..

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

I started out on at somewhere around 50K and got automatic promotions every year for 4 years up to 88K. However, with cost of living adjustments and a
promotion to GG-14 I got to over 100K in 5.

pimp.gif
Good stuff man.

Seriously...it makes me feel good to see young blacks doing well, especially in the field of engineering.

I'm making 36k as a janitor for the city I live in its a government job with good benefits and laid back I have an aa certificate but don't use it . Ilive in California I wana go back to school but for now it's a preety coo job . Especially that I'm seeing that I'm getting paid more than someguys with degrees as a janitor . Well good luck to all with your jobs especially in this economy

What is the average salary for newly graduated lawyers?
160K at big firms, but thats like 50-65 hours a week though. Maybe more.
120k at Mid size firms, same work schedule but more experience
90k-100k at small firms, same work schedule but a lot more experience.
65k-70k- Government with a 40-50 hour work week, but like the dude posted up, in the you'll make 100k within 3 to 4 years with raises.

However, these rates are subject to change to because the recession has hit the legal industry hard. Big firms are now talking about starting their first yearassociates off at 100k. I graduate in 2011, and I'm all for it, but I wont be working 50-65 hours a week for 100k. Hell to the naw, I'll go to thegovernment and chill with a cushy law job, rather than telling your law firm what you are doing every 6 minutes of the day.

I started out on at somewhere around 50K and got automatic promotions every year for 4 years up to 88K. However, with cost of living adjustments and a promotion to GG-14 I got to over 100K in 5.

pimp.gif
FAMU FTW! HBCU'S STAND UP...

I'm assuming most of you had some connection to attain your position? Or did you guys just apply blindly and everywhere?

Originally Posted by TheAbove

I'm assuming most of you had some connection to attain your position? Or did you guys just apply blindly and everywhere?

good f'ing question!

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

CPark, U was in "NESBYNSBE" ?
laugh.gif
i was like wth. but yea I'm assuming you meant NSBE(national society of black engineers).

and not to take away from dude's accomplishments, but dudes just aint getting that kind of bread as often with this economy. in 02 it was on and poppinstill. but Engineering is still a safe bet regardless.

Originally Posted by ICUP

65k-70k- Government with a 40-50 hour work week, but like the dude posted up, in the you'll make 100k within 3 to 4 years with raises.

However, these rates are subject to change to because the recession has hit the legal industry hard. Big firms are now talking about starting their first year associates off at 100k. I graduate in 2011, and I'm all for it, but I wont be working 50-65 hours a week for 100k. Hell to the naw, I'll go to the government and chill with a cushy law job, rather than telling your law firm what you are doing every 6 minutes of the day.

law clerks start off at gs 11 or 12 where im at

Originally Posted by Rightguard

Originally Posted by ICUP

However, these rates are subject to change to because the recession has hit the legal industry hard. Big firms are now talking about starting their first year associates off at 100k. I graduate in 2011, and I'm all for it, but I wont be working 50-65 hours a week for 100k. Hell to the naw, I'll go to the government and chill with a cushy law job, rather than telling your law firm what you are doing every 6 minutes of the day.
law clerks start off at gs 11 or 12 where im at

http://www.time.com/time/...e/0,8599,1899058,00.html

Some firms are forcing deferrals on incoming associates while others are taking a choose-your-own-adventure approach. Stroock & Stroock & Lavan in NewYork has offered incoming associates three options: start in January 2010 and get a $10,000 stipend, start in January 2011 and get $50,000 or agree not to comeat all and get $75,000. Which sounds great until you remember that finding another firm job or any post-graduate work at all at this point will be next toimpossible in this economy.

not burst yall bubbles or nothing
grin.gif

Originally Posted by dendanskesimon

so Im basically gunning for the very top positions (CEO and such) where Ill eventually be making 500k to a million a year

Im thinking about majoring in business administration or international business with a finance minor, or something like that. I really dont know what to do though because nobody in my family has ever gotten a proper education (apart from my mother as a nurse in denmark) so Im kind of lost. Anybody have any insight on what sort of education I should pursue?

I know for a fact I want to be in business, but its such a broad category, preferably end up travelling a lot and such.
Grand marquis and sky larks for days.

Graduated Information Technology from Florida State University in December 2005.

Started Feb 2006 with a top bank in their technology leadership program

Starting salary 58k

3 years later making 72k

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

CPark, U was in "NESBY" ?
I was in that *%*# too
pimp.gif

NSBE conferences FTW.

Boston '05
pimp.gif

Hey Tamika
wink.gif
devil.gif

loL, I`m a Computer Info Systems major, but me and my boy were thinking about getting in NESBE for the hell of it, cats went to Vegas this year for theirconference.

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

loL, I`m a Computer Info Systems major, but me and my boy were thinking about getting in NESBE for the hell of it, cats went to Vegas this year for their conference.
Definitely do it bro.

You won't be dissapointed.

Great experience. Both socially and job-wise.

You get to see where you really stand and what people are really looking for.

Plus they have parties and #*%* like that at night. All types of people in the hotel.

And they were in Vegas. Jesus Christ. I wish they would did that when I was in school.

The Next NSBE conference is in Drake's backyard , no really, working on my passport
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Jonahtheballer

just finished up my freshman year.... Someone tell me whats some good directions to go? lol

also im undeclared

nursing start off at 75k.... I wouldve done the same if i could turn back the hands of time.

Back
Top Bottom