We Still Believe!!! Team Pilipinas 2009

he traded the no faced baller for the swoosh a long time ago.. wise move
laugh.gif

pimp.gif
i love seeing Yeng Guiao lose.
pimp.gif

A couple of Sportscenter plays: Japeth yoked on this hapless Japanese for a nasty throwdown (and one) while Norwood had a tip-in reverse slam.

Originally Posted by dk kiros

Easy. They might be filipino OFW mothers you're insulting right now.

no insult from my end,majongera is not even offensive.

both my parents are OFW's so you can chill with that dude.

Originally Posted by Flashout01

talked to this guy right after the Kobe event... ask him about his thoughts on our RP team
even a Lebanese player asked this question ... WHERE IS JIMMY??!?!?

TAIPEI - Fadi El Khatib, probably the best basketball player Lebanon has ever produced, was surprised Jimmy Alapag is no longer part of the RP team, sayingthe Talk n Text sparkplug, to him, is Asia's best point guard.

"Why did the Philippines change its lineup? Why is Jimmy no longer with the team?" El Khatib asked the group of Filipino sportswriters coveringthe 31st Jones Cup competition here.

"For me, Jimmy is the best point guard in Asia," said El Khatib, well familiar with the Chot Reyes-mentored RP team which they faced several timesin the run-up to the 2007 FIBA-Asia championship in Tokushima, Japan.

El Khatib remembered Alapag outshining everybody in the four-nation Manila Invitational Cup which the Filipinos won over the Lebanese a few days before theTokushima meet.

RP team coach Yeng Guiao has said their choice for the second point guard spot boiled down between Alapag and Ryan Reyes. In the end, they chose Reyes - thetaller player - for match-up purposes.

Meanwhile, Omar El Turk, another Lebanese player, pointed to Smart Gilas' Mark Barroca as "the next Jimmy Alapag." Lebanon and Smart Gilas metin the last FIBA-Asia Champions Cup in Indonesia

Watching the Jones Cup makes me want to form my own team

if i were to form my own RP team i would choose the ff:

Jimmy Alapag
JJ Helterbrand
Gabe Norwood

RenRen Ritualo
DonDon Hontiveros
Arwind Santos

Sunday Salvacion
Kelly Williams
Jay Washington

Joe Devance
Kerby Raymundo
Sonny Thoss

Japeth Aguilar
Asi Taulava
Mick Pennisi

IMO the RP team should have at least 1 three point threat from each position hence Alapag/Helterbrand, Ritualo/Hontiveros, Salvacion, Devance, Pennisi.

Fastbreak agad dapat, if not ikot yung bola hanggang makahanap ng libreng shooter

iwas 1 on 1 and isolation, di gumagalaw offense pag ganon.

I hope someone from SBP reads this
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Gameover2

pimp.gif
i love seeing Yeng Guiao lose.
pimp.gif

A couple of Sportscenter plays: Japeth yoked on this hapless Japanese for a nasty throwdown (and one) while Norwood had a tip-in reverse slam.
as much as i hate yeng guiao, sympre coach pa din sya ng team pilipinas, mejo na weirdohan lang ako sa rotation nung latter part of the game kasimaganda nilalaro nung starting 5 nina thoss, japeth, cyrus, jayjay saka jared, sila yung panay press at fastbreak eh, pero wala na magagawa, natalo na namandapat focus na lang on the rest of the tourney gawin respectable man lang ang finish

I hope Yeng makes the necessary adjustment in the line up. Sometimes Yeng tends to be personal with players. Mighty Mouse willdo well, considering JWash performance last conference his a good fit too.
This is internationala games, 1 on 1 play does not work even USA played as a TEAM.
But i do admit Yeng is a better coach than Chot, Chot feels like his a model doing the runway when his at the side line.

I love what GSP said - Skill beats Size .. Technique beats strenght

i dont think they can still make adjustments sa lineup. The FIBA Asia starts on Aug 6 and our bracket includes Japan and Korea, teams that are beatable. Theteam just needs to gel and hopefully before the jones cup ends, they accomplish that. still believe Alapag and Hontiveros should be on the team.smh

They really need Jimmy. Its like what team usa did with Jason Kidd. Even if you have Deron and Paul, you still need someone with experience to lead them.

If I were to pick team pilipinas, i'll go for this lineup
Jimmy
DonDon
Arwind
Japeth
Asi

Kerby
Norwood
Kelly
Yap
Pennisi
Helter
RyanR

and make jayr reyes, macmac, jaywash, Chris Ross, Barroca, Jason Castro, Al-Hussain part of the training pool

Though I would consider replacing one of the guards for Ronald tubid. Pang-asar lang kay Rasheem hehe

turnovers are killing team RP. no offensive flow whar so ever. they are relying mostly on fast breaks and uptempo style of play which in turn leads toturnovers. the major prob here is that they dont have transition defense or lets face it, NO DEFENSE in general. PASS THE BALL, MAKE THE OPPONENT'S DEFENSEWORK AND MOVE THEIR FEET. i think guiao should re evaluate his approach. No consistency and eratic masyado ang laro ng team RP. They better shape up soon.Lastly, i agree alapag and hontiveros should have been included in the team

RP VS Lebanon later at 7pm, I will watch it but wont be suprised if we take another L. just hope its a close game.

RP 5 should learn how to play as a team, instead of playing by individual skills, we know they got skills, but they should work as a team to win.

Originally Posted by icebox15

RP 5 should learn how to play as a team, instead of playing by individual skills, we know they got skills, but they should work as a team to win.
if you saw the games i dont think na nag kakanya kanya ang players natin, it just seems to me that every opponent gets the benfit of the callskasi kada depensa natin daming tawag ng foul sa japan doon tayo nayari panay FT stop the clock kaya nakahabol, pero overall i would say ok ang galaw ng bola sa2 games na napanood ko

The PBA needs to stop playing like it's the NBA and start playing more of the international game. This would lead to less adjustments in both offense anddefense (esp. fouls called) when it comes to joining tournaments like these.

But to be honest, it will never happen. Playing like the NBA is rooted into our culture which references and aspires to be like the US. Growing up all ourmoves are copied from players like Magic, MJ and for the more recent generation LeBron and Kobe.

compared to the last team philippines, this years philippine team lacks a main scorer/facilitator. no one wants to take it to the hole except for Miller.
laugh.gif
at the commentator calling helterbrand Reyes until now.

Originally Posted by carmelocu

compared to the last team philippines, this years philippine team lacks a main scorer/facilitator. no one wants to take it to the hole except for Miller.
laugh.gif
at the commentator calling helterbrand Reyes until now.
You read my mind...I was like: "That's not Reyes!!! Maybe it's a clone of Helterbrand's who took 'Reyes' as his lastname!!!" LOL.

RP Team is very fortunate to be down by only 8 points at the half. We had too many turnovers and lapses on defense.

Willie Miller was throwing the ball away like it was a hot rock...Asi Taulava was passing the ball like a baby. Heck, even Japeth was shooting from 3...

But, we can't stop believing!

Originally Posted by jmoney45

RP Team is very fortunate to be down by only 8 points at the half. We had too many turnovers and lapses on defense.

Willie Miller was throwing the ball away like it was a hot rock...Asi Taulava was passing the ball like a baby. Heck, even Japeth was shooting from 3...

But, we can't stop believing!
I'm supporting the Philippine team all the way...but man they're not playing to their full potential IMO. Too much dribbling around nawala naman pinupuntahan!!! I kinda agree with the commentators that way. Sometimes mukhang streetball nga ang ginagawa nila (as qutoed in the Philippine Starkanina by Quinito Henson).

Speaking of basketball, ano ba ang nangyayari at yung BAP is back in the spotlight again?? WTFH is going on??

P.S. I'm pretty sure one of those commentators is Canadian. It's the way he says "about" and "out." LOL.

Back
Top Bottom