We Still Believe!!! Team Pilipinas 2009

@ Flashout01

Brod clarify ko lang sinong James eto? james yap aquino? thanks

cant help but wonder what if kelly & alapag was around? siguro nga d pa natin panahon
darating din yan, antay-antay pa tayo.
they should have included pacman in the line up
laugh.gif

before manny used to play in amoranto nakakatakot nga dahil iba yung breathing pattern
nya pang boksing talaga kaya alam ko na pag parating na sya

thank U Team Pilipinas, mabuhay!!!

Sorry for the 3ple post m0ds.. Im just using my f0ne right n0w and it f**ks up fr0m tym 2 tym..

Anyways, i think we can beat qatar 2m.. Hopefully, our guys wont be disc0uraged by t0day's defeat so they can end the t0urney with a BANG!

the present team could have made it, lahat ng talo nila sa huli nalang sila pumapalya pero kitang kita mong lumalaban

offensive rebounds and missed freethrows killed our chances. We actually played decent defense. Jordanians are not that athletic and we were able to attack thebasket. not sure but I think we missed 11fts. I also dont know the reasoning behind yengs decision to use kerby instead of cyrus or dillinger. Dillinger wasplaying well before norwood got hot. He's attacking the basket, getting fouls. He was also rebounding well at the guard position.

We should still go for 5th place. And with Korea and Jordan within our reach, A little more practice and international experience, the dream of being top 3 iswithin our reach.

btw did the german dude play? Though protesting after a loss doesn't look good, rule is a rule and it should be followed. Imo, its the same thing aswinning the asian tourney game with an american leading the way. It doesnt look good, but its allowed so why not.

Unless we get rid of that "NBA" style of game...we won't be going anywhere in Intl. basketball. We're too small to be one-to-one players.

so who will represent the Philippines to the next FIBA-ASIA? still the PBA backed line-up or the Smart Gilas?

Not being a "genius" but here are my thoughts...

Right from the start, when Sonny Barrios chose Yeng as the coach, I knew Dondon, Renren and Jimmy won't be there for the team anymore. I thought it wouldhave been better if the board allowed Chot to continue the program. I mean, the guys have some revenge on their minds after finishing 9th in 2007. Jimmy isJimmy, he wouldn't be called the best PG in Asia by Fadi for nothing. But we know, Guiao won't eat his words and include him in his team after theirstint in Jones Cup. Ego is also the main reason why Dondon didn't make the team. Remember their altercation? I think he's really not keen on gettingSMB players except for Mick who's played under him before. I don't also want to think that the BK management want a healthy Japeth come PBA season,hence, the benching in the Quarterfinals. If I were Japeth, I would have sticked to Smart-Gilas. Look at how Barroca, Ramos etc. improved under Toroman. Well,Asian teams have been preparing for years and they're always ready whenever there's an international tournament and preparation has always been ourAchilles Heel. There are a lot of should have beens and could have beens but at the end of the day, this is the team we will support for the rest of our livesregardless of how bad or good they perform.
tired.gif

Toroman's/Smart Gilas program seem to be more to my liking...
Time and again, a bunch of PBA superstars just couldn't cut it anymore unless there is a commitment to a long-term program.
With the exception of the Jaworski-coached 90's All-Pro team that finished 2nd to China in the Asian games despite 2 weeks of prep...the '98 CentennialTeam under Tim Cone that bagged the Bronze and the the '02 Busan team that lost a heart-breaker on a last second shot by the SoKors that could'veguaranteed us the silver medal in the same meet...
Those teams had the most chance of bringing back the lost glory that was once ours.

We need a concrete program & players that have the pride, commitment & desire to fight for the country.
I am not questioning '09 Team Pilipinas' objective because they did well, IMO. although they could've done better. ( Iran & Jordan are beatableand we almost did )
but it's just sickening that we don't seem to learn from the mistakes of the past.

To those who are old enough to remember the '80's national team under Danding Cojuangco and Ron Jacobs, they created a Farm Team that nurtured anddeveloped players. Sent out to battle the Best in the Basketball World on a consistent basis to become more productive/efficient as a unit. And they werepretty successful. Yes, we had 3 naturalized players but it was not our fault because the rule allowed us to. And it was the likes of Allan Caidic, Samboy Limand Hector Calma that brought us back to respectability in the Asian Basketball Circuit.

We need that same approach. We need that same program. We need that same commitment.
Smart Gilas seem to be on the right track.
We gotta stop telling ourselves to just BELIEVE.
They gotta DO SOMETHING TO MAKE US BELIEVE even more...

on a side note...
who said that Brown Men Can't Jump?
Fil Cagers flying high for a rebound against the Mexicans in the '36 Olympic Games...

imo, yeah japeth should have stayed with smart gilas. he could've improved much better. and age would not be a factor when he goes into the PBA after a 3year stay with smart gilas. I mean, who wouldn't want a 6'8" to 6'9" guy who can dominate and has played internationally right?

also imo the wild card thing is the harder route for the RP team. Think about all the Euro teams that would be left out and the South American teams that wouldbe left out.

Originally Posted by lbj19

imo, yeah japeth should have stayed with smart gilas. he could've improved much better. and age would not be a factor when he goes into the PBA after a 3 year stay with smart gilas. I mean, who wouldn't want a 6'8" to 6'9" guy who can dominate and has played internationally right?

also imo the wild card thing is the harder route for the RP team. Think about all the Euro teams that would be left out and the South American teams that would be left out.
I think Wild Card invitees for World Basketball Championships are handpicked by FIBA. Only the Olympics has its own Qualifying Tournament for Wildcard berths. And with the poor showing of our team, with the current conflicts between our governing body SBP and some BAP-Loving FIBA Officials, I doubt wecould get an entry. I hope I'm wrong.
eyes.gif

I don't think team pilipinas had a poor sh0wing, I think they outperformed themselves.. if all, the reason we wont get an invite is the conflict betweenbap and sbp like what you said..

I agree with melofan, our Powerade Team performed well. Despite the bickering of BAP and SBP officials.
I was disappointed with Japeth though, i was really expecting more from him. Its high time that we naturalize
some big men, almost every country has a naturalized player.
I salute China's Basketball program its really impressive, they never run out of up & coming players actually with other sports very competitive nasila. Wala nga lang silang PACMAN lalong lalo na yung Aling Dionisia.

Honestly I'm not feeling the Smart Gilas team, not because MVP was my ex boss
laugh.gif

I must admit Baroca & Ramos improvement are very evident but would that be enough for the coming international games? Sana nga hasang hasa na sila by thattime.

Lipad PINOY lipad!!!

mukhang wala nang gana to clinch at least a 5th place spot against Qatar. They are down at 19pts 32 - 51 under 8:19 left in the third quarter.
tired.gif

End of the Third 66-40 In Favor of Qatar

**If they win this, Ill buy the Philippine Hyperize, Hyperdunk, another Set of White Jerseys and Shorts, Also the Blue and Red one, But they lose Im not gonnabuy the Red Jersey.

2007 Team Pilipinas > 2009 Team Pilipinas

And today Japeth and Arwind is Playing, What wrong with Coach Yeng playing Japeth in no Bearing Games. Kuwait, Sri Lanka. But Unfortunately we will lose today.

Correct me if Im worng, but didnt Danny Seigle demolish Qatar in 2002 @ the Big Dome

----------------------------
EDIT: Qatar wins 83-65

In Behalf of Everyone, I would like to thank the Whole Powerade Team Pilipinas coaching staff and its Players for a job well done.Despite placing 7th or 8th,This Team Never surrendered on Anything. I'd also like to thank the Past PBA-backed Team Pilipinas. Since as I Reckon Gilas will be taking over on 2011.

**Still hopeful that FIBA can consider us in the Wildcard round

danny seigle also demolished his knee in an exhibition game against qatar. ftl.

di na sila nahiya, kung sina pa foreigners yun pa may puso maglaro (norwood and dillinger)

Buti nlng pala i didn't watch it, madedepress lng pala ko.. Hehe..

Sana nga hasang hasa na ang smart gilas come 2011, i think coach toroman knows what he's doing, just look at what he did with Iran..

The criteria for the Wild Cards (WC Turkey 2010)
via teampilipinas-dot-info

The FIBA Central Board will assign in autumn 2009 four wild cards to four countries that have not qualified until then according to the following criteria:

The criteria for the Wild Cards
1. In order to be invited the team must have participated in the 2009 FIBA Zone Qualifying Championship.
2. There can be a maximum of three teams from any one FIBA Zone.

Together with the above two criteria, FIBA shall take into consideration the following aspects:

Sporting Aspects
- Popularity of basketball in the country
- Quality and sporting results of the national team of the country
- Quality of work by the National Federation

Economic Aspects
- Involvement of local television and/or competitions in domestic and international basketball
- Importance of country to FIBA's marketing and television partners
- Importance of country to the Organizers of the World Championship

The FIBA Central Board is the highest executive body of FIBA where 20 members and three ex-officio members meet twice yearly. The Board establishes theInternal Regulations and assigns the organization of all world championships.

Note: There is an outside chance that a ten-man pool of wildcard entrants, two from each FIBA zone, may dispute four slots available in Istanbul if theproposal is approved by the International Basketball Federation, FIBA.. Its being considered as an incentive for teams that finish fourth or fifth, drawingfrom Chinese-Taipei's fine showing in entering the quarter finals in Tianjin as a wild card entry.

Back
Top Bottom