WATCHMEN Movie Thread: Directors Cut is out (updated: deleted scene)

Saw this Friday afternoon.

Thumbs down.

Unfortunately, the film played out as I had expected it would. Oh well...

I don't see how you can say it SUCKED....it wasn't great but it didn't suck there were a lot of enjoyable parts....I could do without thehallelujah music during the sex even though its supposed to be portrayed as awkward.

Movie itself was solid, very close to the actual novel and visually done well, but the movie doesn't have that IT factor that the book had. The novel wasvery political and so far in depth, its as if it flew over the directors head and just made a flick word for word.

Originally Posted by Falcon4567

In regards to a point that RFX made about the acting too "theatrical" I think its partly because dialogue was lifted directly from the book (and remember even Moore didn't write superheroes like "normal" people until later on in his career) and partly because Snyder wanted to make a comment about comic book adaptations.
That is true, Snyder tried his best to convert the words right out of the comic but Laurie/ SSII was just horrible I think. She needed to cuss outmore too.

Glad to see you like it though Falcon. Now onto the Black Freighter DVD/Blu-Ray. I wish they just included it with the motion comic though, what is the moviegoing to be? Like 30 minutes long? I would hate to spend $25 for a BluRay version if it were that short.
laugh.gif

Update:
Crap, it is 30 minutes long. The BluRay better be $10.
roll.gif

[h2]'Tales of the Black Freighter' DVD Details![/h2]
by Elisabeth Rappe Jan 30th 2009 // 5:10PM

Tales of the Black Freighter was always my favorite part of Watchmen and as much as I'm looking forward to the film, it's the DVD spin-off that keeps me awake at night. We've got details on the animated DVD -- which unfortunately hits shelves on March 24 instead of before or on Watchmen's release date of March 6.

Tales of the Black Freighter is a comic book within the graphic novel, a gruesome pirate story that has very little to do with pirates, and everything to do with what's going on in Watchmen itself. It follows the lone survivor of an attack by the dreaded Black Freighter, and his desperate journey to get back home before the Freighter attacks his town. It's a nice little journey into madness, depravity, and horror as the sailor realizes what the ultimate goal of the Freighter is. Good stuff. I only wish it could have been done live action -- but at least they snagged Gerard Butler to voice the main character. The adaptation runs 30 minutes -- and oddly is carrying a PG-13 rating (Blu-Ray is currently Unrated) despite previous reports that it would be R.

Also on the DVD is the Hollis Mason tell-all, Under the Hood. A combination of CG and live action, it sees all the necessary Watchmen actors reprising their roles to tell the history of the first costumed adventurers, the Minutemen. DVD extras on both regular and Blu-Ray include a first look at The Green Lantern (it's not specified whether it's the much hoped for live-action version, or a preview of the animated film), and Story Within A Story: The Books of Watchmen. The Blu-Ray version also includes a digital copy of the film.

At some point, this will be incorporated into an ultimate DVD release of Watchmen and be interspersed through the film the way it is through the book. But can you really wait that long to watch it? Check out larger images of art below.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

I don't see how you can say it SUCKED....it wasn't great but it didn't suck there were a lot of enjoyable parts....I could do without the hallelujah music during the sex even though its supposed to be portrayed as awkward.

Movie itself was solid, very close to the actual novel and visually done well, but the movie doesn't have that IT factor that the book had. The novel was very political and so far in depth, its as if it flew over the directors head and just made a flick word for word.
Well that's part of why i don't pay any attention to user reviews. The people in here that say "it sucked", those werebasically their only words. They didn't expand on that or give solid reasons. Useless.

This ad better be fake because no way this 30 minute BluRay will cost $36.
mad.gif

I'll Netflix it and decide whether or not I'd want to purchase it.� Here's the thing: Alan Moore gets not a dime from any of these adaptationshe's waived his rights and all the money goes to the artist.

And RFX stop acting like we never get along you make it sound like we're Angel and Spike
laugh.gif
:

Originally Posted by Dr Spaceman

I don't see how you can say it SUCKED....it wasn't great but it didn't suck there were a lot of enjoyable parts....I could do without the hallelujah music during the sex even though its supposed to be portrayed as awkward.

Movie itself was solid, very close to the actual novel and visually done well, but the movie doesn't have that IT factor that the book had. The novel was very political and so far in depth, its as if it flew over the directors head and just made a flick word for word.
Well that's part of why i don't pay any attention to user reviews. The people in here that say "it sucked", those were basically their only words. They didn't expand on that or give solid reasons. Useless.

The blue penis seemed to have killed the movie to most.
laugh.gif

Ill wait till the the movie releases before i buy any blu rays, and hopefully it has everything. For now, a 30 min 1080p vid seems like a doable dl.

Falcon4567 wrote:
I'll Netflix it and decide whether or not I'd want to purchase it.� Here's the thing: Alan Moore gets not a dime from any of these adaptations he's waived his rights and all the money goes to the artist.

And RFX stop acting like we never get along you make it sound like we're Angel and Spike
laugh.gif
:

Fair enough.
happy.gif

I was waiting for Moore's name to appear in the motion comic and ... nothing.
Really sucks for Moore though, the man is a genius and I can understand why he did what he did.
I wonder is he has or will see the movie though? I mean if my greatest work were to become a movie, even if I hated it's creation, I would be so tempted towatch it anyways.

I still can't believe some people got so pissed bout the blue penis hahahaha

maybe further explanation was needed?

I don't understand what the big deal was over the blue penis, I expected it to be something horrible the way people were talking about it.

I don't understand what the big deal was over the blue penis, I expected it to be something horrible the way people were talking about it.
laugh.gif
People in here talking about how it was so distractingand ruined the movie, like he was striking down Vietcong with his 50 ft. *$!#.

I mean, it was blue and didnt really command much of the screen, and its not that hard to just look somewhere else on the big %%% screen.

Homophobia.

Same reason why dudes wanna skip a seat if they go to the movies with their boys.

I'll never get it. It's like homosexuality is contagious or something.

I really want to see this again, tried to get my girl to go tonight, but I knew it'd be a bad idea since she'd spazz when the gory scenes occurred.

Saw Taken instead... was pretty good. Probably Catch Watchmen in Imax sometime next week since I saw it in standard THX theater

it was a great movie it started off slow, but a quarter of the way in it got better good action and awesome gore. the sex scene had everyone
eek.gif
, the gentleman next to me brought his twelve year old son to the movie andcovered his eyes during that part and any kissing after
laugh.gif

I really liked the movie, given the time allotted, they did a damn good job...I have no complaints and yes, Rorschach was cast perfectly.

Angel

Saw it tonight with my brother. We both read the book and really enjoyed it a lot.

I was definitely impressed with the adaptation and I think they did as good of a job as possible. I definitely enjoyed reading the graphic novel more, butoverall I enjoyed the movie.

I'll need to see it a second time to get a real opinion of it though, so I'll definitely check it out again.

YO.

this movie is solid man. a very good adaptation. every shot in the movie was done very similarly to each frame in the comic. it was sick. i thought theflashback scene at the cemetery was done perfectly. i thought everything that stayed true to the comic was perfect and the things that needed to change forthe movie adaptation were spot on as well.

and my boy Rorschach was just
pimp.gif
although he looked a bit like a youngclint eastwood and had batman's voice
laugh.gif

good movie. although i def see how people wouldn't like the movie if they didn't read the comic.

i really enjoyed the music throughout the movie. From Bob Dylan to Jimi Hendrix.

So is there more to why the comedian assassinated JFK?

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Score was amazing.

I MUST Agree...every song chosen went along with what was currently happening in the film...had medancing in my chair to some good 80's tunes...the movie, to me, was GREAT...it was almost like a simple Tarantino film; comedy, action, sex...verygraphic

Back
Top Bottom