Wassup with black people and majoring in business?

Originally Posted by mdresident

My business classes are full of white/asian people. And my father didn't major in business, nor did my sister. As a matter of fact, only one of my good friend's majors in business.

This thread should be locked, your wildin for thinkin black people the only people majorin in business.

Can you point out where I said that? Oh, you can't.

Anyways, like I stated earlier, most the black people around me are majored in business.

GF
Father
My dudes from high school (that's 6 people)

I don't see anything wrong with it. At all. I was just hoping a NT'er could help me out with it. Yall making it seem like I'm waging a war against_'s in business
laugh.gif

so cuz you know 6 people majoring in business its the new thing sweeping the country?

i was a business major and most of my classmates were white or middle eastern...

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

so cuz you know 6 people majoring in business its the new thing sweeping the country?

i was a business major and most of my classmates were white or middle eastern...

laugh.gif
Let's ignore the fact you can't count for a minute and address what I was really asking.

I wholeheartedly believe you when you say all your classmates were white or middle eastern in your business classes.

BUT, just among black people, it seems the overwhelmingly popularchoice to major in is business. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This is essentially what I'm asking: Why Are You Majoring InBusiness?

most of the black people i know are not majoring in business...social work, pre-med, pol sci, mass comm...most of them have plans to go to law school...

Because unlike other races we can't major in 'Bullcrap Studies' and still come out with well paying jobs. Questions like this is why I changed mymajor from Business Administration to Accounting, still business but more money to be made

As far as I'm concerned the majority on my mother side are doctors and/or in the medical field and my fathers side has at least 4 who majored and work inan engineering related industry.
Sooooo I think if we for once in a lifetime stop generalizing things, we'll realize that black folks are in various job fields and majors.

Originally Posted by AG 47

Originally Posted by mdresident

My business classes are full of white/asian people. And my father didn't major in business, nor did my sister. As a matter of fact, only one of my good friend's majors in business.

This thread should be locked, your wildin for thinkin black people the only people majorin in business.

Can you point out where I said that? Oh, you can't.

Anyways, like I stated earlier, most the black people around me are majored in business.

GF
Father
My dudes from high school (that's 6 people)

I don't see anything wrong with it. At all. I was just hoping a NT'er could help me out with it. Yall making it seem like I'm waging a war against _'s in business
laugh.gif

your question should just be "why do so many people major in business?"

Originally Posted by yungmatt

Nowadays a business degree is like a High School Diploma. One of my boys to his BA in Business Management and was unemployed for 2 years after school
smh.gif
. Now he works the same place i do and I dont have a degree at all
smh.gif

If you go to a mediocre college.

Originally Posted by RawSheed

is business an "easy" major?

Hardly, but it actually depends on which Business Program you're in. Others are more compeitive because of the amount of people who apply and others arerigorous because of the academic prestige. It isn't just "black people" who are interested in Business, seems like it's a very popular choicefor all races.

Originally Posted by RawSheed

is business an "easy" major?

Hell naw. I wouldn't say it's easy. I think business might be one of the more difficult majors available. Especially when it comes to economics.

But to further support my claim, As of August 6, 2007, the top major for African American students was business according to Jet magazine.

These are the stats from the Journal of Blacks in Higher Education as of 1997. 11 years ago:
showArticleImage

Im just trying to see if I can get an understanding as to why we choose business first as a major. Granted, more and more are choosing
technical fields such as myself. But it still appears that business is the prime choice for African American students.

Originally Posted by dre112

or Filipinos going to nursing school
eek.gif
The only 3 filipino chicks I know are majoring in nursing
It crossed my mind once but I thought I was the only one
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

alright let me drop some knowledge....... yes, most blacks who are in college major in business. why? because ain't no way a black mangonna pay to go school without learning how to get paid.
smokin.gif
not gonna be paying good money to learn how to combine protons with neutrons or what not -then again, they're are the gifted homies who naturally strive in those fields...
eek.gif

Originally Posted by GHETTO REVIVAL

alright let me drop some knowledge....... yes, most blacks who are in college major in business. why? because ain't no way a black man gonna pay to go school without learning how to get paid.
smokin.gif
not gonna be paying good money to learn how to combine protons with neutrons or what not - then again, they're are the gifted homies who naturally strive in those fields...
eek.gif

I respect that. I'm seriously considering getting an MBA after Engineering undergrad.

Oh and acidicality, what eng. major are you?

Lol im a senior in high school right now nd iv'e been thinking about majoring in business or the lst few years..Idk it just seems to be where the money isat, maybe because theres soo many branches of it

We need to bring back those "Ask a Black man" threads, because there is a new "Why do Black people do this?" type thread every day.

its crazy tho, cause i bet everybody on this forum would be tight if i was like "why do all asians major in mathematics and play video games in sparetime?"

i'm black/asian btw...

Real talk, I'm not tryna be racist or anything. But I always wonder... WHAT'S WITH WHITE PEOPLE AND ASIANS???
Most of the white dudes I've seen would love to date an Asian chick. Most of the white chicks I've seen love dim sum, sushi, etc...
I just don't get it...

Back
Top Bottom