• U.S. Cellular

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
0] Sprint asking my Galaxy Nexus to update. nooooo, I wanna keep my universal/local? search :frown: f u apple. makes me just want to get a JB rom, but I want an official version just cus. ;[

Last edited:
[h1] [/h1]
[h1]HTC's fix for the 'menu button issue' is welcome, but not very elegant[/h1]

By Jerry Hildenbrand   | Aug 02 2012 | 6:46 pm  | 16 COMMENTS

htc-menu-option.jpg

HTC and AT&T have pushed out an OTA update for the One X  today, and while it provides the standard bug fixes and security enhancements, it brings a new feature to address the menu button "issue." Previously, if you were running an application that wasn't updated to support the latest Android style guidelines, you'd have a full-width black bar  about 48 pixels high that held an on-screen menu button. It was horrible to look at, and we hoped that Android application developers would soon update their apps to get rid of it. We can't knock HTC, they used the correct layout for their capacitive buttons (we do question why they went with capacitive buttons in the first place, though) and did what they were supposed to do. But it was still pretty darn ugly.

Then along comes Samsung, with a menu button on what will probably turn out to be the most popular Android phone ever in the Galaxy S 3. They shouldn't have done it (according to the Android developer team's way of doing things), but they did. A quick look at the HTC One X tells us why -- that big, ugly, black bar. 

Of course, application developers don't have to update to make their app look good on the phone that is selling the most, so very few did. Love it or hate it, time saved is money saved, so the folks at Twitter or Facebook (as well as smaller development teams) just let it ride. It became an HTC problem instead of an application problem.

HTC had to fix it themselves. Never mind the fact that they were only following guidelines, their phones look bad running an app that needs a menu button and Samsung's don't. We saw a bit of it in the Desire C, and we're pretty sure we heard Android hacker/developer/guru Paul O'Brien mention that it was coming. 

It's here now, at least on the AT&T One X. Filed under Settings > Display, gestures and buttons is an entry where users can choose how they want the multi-tasking button to work. It can work as normal, or have a second function if you long-press. Phil's been playing around with it, and he says the best and most natural way it to have a single tap bring up the menu, and a long-press open the multi-tasking view -- just like  Samsung's Galaxy S 3

We would prefer that developers just use the action bar on their apps as instructed. Hopefully, new apps will be written that way and eventually this whole mess goes away. Until then, at least we have a way to get rid of the black menu bar. We expect to see a similar fix roll out for the rest of the HTC One series of phones, and for hackers to grab some code and do the same in custom ROMs until then. For now, enjoy your 48 pixels of freedom.

I dont know why they didnt just go with the on-screen buttons and skip all of that trouble
indifferent.gif
.  Android takes steps forward but honestly the manufacturers hold it back.

Last edited:
I bought an HTC One X but with someone else's upgrade...and I noticed I'll need a new SIM card for it...how do I go about solving this problem?

I think you should wait for the next Nexus device(s) it will probably have the new Quad Core Snapdragon S4 pro CPU which smokes everything out right now and packs a GPU just as good as the iPad 3 if your into gaming on your phone.

Quad core inna phone is completely uneccessary. Battery life abysmal... get the s3 man. You wont be dissappoint.

You can always play the waiting game for the next big thing but w/ cell phones its a losing battle. Every quarter a new android challenger appears.

[COLOR=#red]Traded in me and my wife's Galaxy Note at Best Buy today and she got $375 for hers and I got $275 for mine :smokin :smokin Yup she had the trade in plan on hers and mine without the trade in plan still got us $275. We then got the SGIII on Verizon and still had almost $200 left on a gift card. Say what you want about the Note...but that device has SERIOUS resale value and I didn't even have to go the Craigslist route.

I could have gotten the Galaxy Nexus, but after seing the features on the SGIII I had to scoop it. Yeah yeah yeah Jellybean, but this late in the game I'll wait for the next Nexus. SGIII= :smokin :smokin[/COLOR]

How do I back up my S3 to where if I get a new one I can just load everything instead of starting over. Thanks.

If you had to chose between the Galaxy S 2 or the Galaxy Nexus...SPRINT for both...which one would yall choose.

[COLOR=#red]By the way guys. The LTE phones for Verizon are using SIM cards now...what does that mean??? That FINALLY us Verizon'ers can have the convenience and functionality of SIM cards and switch phones without calling Verizon customer service...the downside is that it's only for the new LTE phones, but as time goes on there will be more LTE hpones which means more phones in which we can switch SIMs with.[/COLOR]

I'd choose galaxy nexus over s2..s3 over gnex

Agreed, BUT...It's tuff between the GNex and the S3, the GNex has TONS of support but has that annoying bottom bar as 'buttons', S3 has a better camera and tons of features.

So derry, go to the Sprint store, play with em and see which one you like best.

I think I'll be getting my Galaxy Nexus this weekend (hopefully).. any recommendations for cases?

I just discovered Google included $10 for Google wallet accounts on the Nexus. Time for some socks :pimp:

Ya.. when I first got my Gnex I was stoked for that too.

Then I unlocked my bootloader and got Jellybean early and the $10 is gone from my Google Wallet smh :rolleyes

Agreed, BUT...It's tuff between the GNex and the S3, the GNex has TONS of support but has that annoying bottom bar as 'buttons', S3 has a better camera and tons of features.
So derry, go to the Sprint store, play with em and see which one you like best.

Thanks guys. It's actually for my little brother who is about to use his upgrade on our plan but only ghad about $100 so he couldn't get the s3
We found Galaxy Nexus for $50 on radioshack.com

btw I have an s3

Finally made the switch to android. Coming from BlackBerry 9700 its going to be an adjustment.

Now to learn the tips and tricks then start getting some apps.

Back
Top Bottom