• U.S. Cellular

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chrome Cast makes a great stocking stuffer ..
laugh.gif

[h1]Google officially unveils Android 4.3 Jelly Bean[/h1]

By Alex Dobie   | Jul 24 2013 | 12:22 pm  | 36 COMMENTS

android-4-3-small-hq_0.jpg

[h3]After weeks of speculation and leaks, the next version of Jelly Bean is finally official[/h3]
Google has announced a new version of Android — 4.3 Jelly Bean  — at its breakfast event in San Francisco today.

As expected, version 4.3 brings new features and tools for developers, including Bluetooth Low Energy support  and new for devs to interact  with Android's notification center. OpenGL ES 3.0 is on-board, making Android the first platform to support the new standards. New DRM APIs allow content providers to deliver more options, for example Netflix has released a version of their app that streams in 1080p. 

On the tablet side, "restricted" user profiles are pretty big news. They have built-in parental controls, and limited access for things like kiosk systems. This opens up a new way to use an Android tablet.

Primarily, though, this is another maintenance release for Jelly Bean, and the 4.3 release builds on what was already there in 4.1 and 4.2. Most of the new additions to the Android code base are focused on getting the OS prepared for connecting to wearable devices (with Bluetooth LE) and helping developers make even better applications.

Android 4.3 Jelly Bean will be hitting Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 10 devices from today, so now's the time to start hammering that "Check for updates" button, if you're into that sort of thing. Google Play edition phones are promised updates "very soon."

We'll bring you more on the new release as it comes. In the meantime, share your thoughts down in the comments.

More: Google event liveblog

[h2]Google announces Chromecast: Bringing Youtube and Google Play Music to your TV[/h2]

By Phil Nickinson   | Jul 24 2013 | 12:51 pm  | 121 COMMENTS

chromecast-2.jpg

Google at its breakfast this morning announced Chromecast, bringing the Chrome OS to your TV. Plugs into your TV, powered by USB, and brings you all your favorite Google content.

Born from the ashes of the Nexus Q, Chromecast is an HDMI dongle just a couple inches long. It connects, as you'd expect, to your Android phone. It's able to automatlically turn on your TV and switch inputs, and start playing media automatically — if your TV is CEC-enabled.

YouTube, Google Play Music — all available through Chromecast and accessed through your phone. You can set up a queue of videos to play while still use your phone for other tasks. Browse, take phonecalls, check e-mail — whatever you need to do. Streaming is handled from the Chromecast — not from your phone.

And Netflix? No problem.

And what's more — it's cross-platform. Chromecast will work with Google's iOS Youtube app as well. You'll need to be running Android 2.3 and up, iOS 6 and up, or have Windows 7, Mac OSX 10.7 or a Chromebook Pixel.

Chromecast costs $35 — you can order directly from Google Play now! It'll also be available from Best Buy (as early as July 27) and Amazon.

READ MORE AND COMMENT

[h1]Google announces Textbooks for Google Play Books[/h1]

By Richard Devine   | Jul 24 2013 | 12:46 pm  | 10 COMMENTS

textbooks.jpg

We're live in San Francisco with Google, where they have just announced a new category for Google Play Books; Textbooks. Google is promising a wide range of textbooks across differing publishers with different pricing structures available to students. 

Textbooks can be purchased as any other book, but also rented on a six-month term. They will be available across Google Play Books on Android, iOS and the web beginning in early August. 
[h3]More coverage: Google event liveblog[/h3]

can anyone give me any pointers on this set up for home and lockscreen? I would like to achieve something similar. Thanks in advance!

You'll need to get Widgetlocker for the lock screen.

Not sure what those icons are ..

Everything else looks like UCCW to me though.

made my impulse buy of chromecast. looking forward to this. BB still has some online if anyone is still looking. was seeing some places were sold out.

Damn. My WiFi is weak as hell. Oh well.
u have slow speeds or just a weak router?

Both. The speeds are slow and the router isn't weak but it's pretty far away in the guest house. My boys who live in it got Comcast first now they won't wire us up because there already is an account on the property. The cable guy was about to wire us up under the table but they got him high and he forgot and bounced -_-

Will wait for the Chromecast to hit Best Buy so I can see what kinda discount my girl gets on it. Will cop either way tho.

Last edited:
chome add on is up in the chrome webstore, I went ahead and added it now so that i dont forget bout it once i get mine in the mail.

Last edited:
agreed. I get poor quality and/or lag when trying to stream to my TV with WiFi. it may just be the WiFi dongle though since I can stream on my laptop or phone over WiFi most of the time.

let's hope this chromecast has strong antennas and can do N or whatever the fastest speeds are now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom