• U.S. Cellular

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight Talk

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How's the Galaxy S3 battery/OS post jellybean update?

I'm currently deciding between that and an iphone5.  I got talked out of upgrading to an S4 (not that much different from an S3) and don't need to wait on an iphone5s/6.

I also hate HTC after my last two experiences with them (the sensation and one s) so i'm not even considering that phone.

elaborate Nako

Last edited:

I'm currently deciding between that and an iphone5.  I got talked out of upgrading to an S4 (not that much different from an S3) and don't need to wait on an iphone5s/6.

I also hate HTC after my last two experiences with them (the sensation and one s) so i'm not even considering that phone.
The S4 not being much different from S3 is true, but that just means you shouldn't upgrade from a S3 to a S4.
S4 still will be better, and unless you just want to save money, your better off picking an S4. And then decide between it and an iphone(since not considering One).

elaborate Nako
The Sensation had OS issues that made the phone slow and glitchy and HTC took foreverrrrrr to put out an update to the phone.  When they finally did update it to Ice Cream Sandwich last May/June (MAY OR JUNE!) and the update was super buggy.  The phone was faster and smoother now, but would crash about 7 times a day just during regular use.

I then got that phone stolen in November and switched to the HTC One S.  There were some lag issues with the operating system but not anything that was a major burden.  That is until I used the phone to make an actual phone call...

Call clarity was awful!  I don't know if it was T-Mobile or HTC's fault but I'd be in areas with reception and my voice would always sound like Soundwave's from Transformers.  Then at home I would barely get reception in areas of my house so it was a necessity that I use wifi calling.  This is essentially when I realized the OS was broken.  Whenever I used wifi calling at random times during phone calls (but it would happen during EVERY phone call the phone would turn on airplane mode by itself and need a reset to work.)  This would happen during EVERY call.  Then I realized that it was happening occasionally even when I had the phone in my pocket and was pushing phone calls away.  I'd get voicemails on calls that never rang, so it wasn't even just a tmobile wifi calling problem it was a Sense issue.

HTC promised a fix to this in their jelly bean update (jelly bean came out on nexus a year ago, and on all non American htc one s phones last november and december) but HTC swore that T-Mobile was holding up their update and they had handed it in last year.

We wait and wait and wait and wait.  The One S releases last week and 1-2 days later, SURPRISE!!! Here's your Jelly Bean update from HTC, confirming they had been the ones holding up the update to boost the release of their new phone and not T-Mobile.

Jelly Bean does indeed make the One S run like butter and it fixed the wifi calling issues as far as I can tell.  BUT now there's an equally big problem.  The battery dies in about 4-5 hours after light use and sitting in my pocket.  And by light use I mean I'll charge the phone to full and unplug it at 8am, listen to music for 30 minutes on my commute, maybe look at instagram for 15 minutes, then use 15-20 minutes of Google Maps navigation and check the phone at 11 am and it's at 49%.  49% with about 30 total minutes of screen on time.

When you check the running apps it shows that the GPS is always on and searching, even if u turn it off in all of the maps that use it.  Apparently it's a bug in the Operating System, and with no removable battery, there really isn't a fix. 

They don't support their old phones (are super late on supporting their new ones) and when they do, they barely test the software they put out on them.

I'm done with HTC.

/rant
Stop arguing. with htc phones it's both.
No one is arguing, dude.
I wasn't really scolding you guys. I was chiming in in a faux stern tone.  (but you were kinda disagreeing on who was correct on how to screen cap (unless you were doing so in jest.))

Last edited:
^ Definitely getting a screen protector, every phone ive had since samsung captivate, ive cracked teh screen

Samsung Captivate

Moto Atrix

HTC Vivid

HTC One X

Nokia Lumia 920.

[h2]Google Files Patent for Smartwatch With Bezels as Touchpads[/h2]
by: Kellex  | posted 05.02.13 | AccessoriesNews

At this point, can we pencil in Google as guaranteed to be the next big tech company to create a smartwatch? We’ve already seen at least one patent filed for a watch, along with a report that the Android team is leading the charge on the project. So today’s patent filing doesn’t necessarily come as a surprise, but it does offer up details on how this new wearable wriststrap could work. 

Similar to how Google Glass works with its side touchpad, this patent talks of using the bezels around the watchface for accomplishing gestures like pinch-to-zoom, scrolling, and stretching. The patent says specifically that the bezel will be used to “provide a tactile-based user input to the processor.”

There are also mentions of a display, processor, battery, and wriststrap, along with dozens of mentions of this being a “smart-watch.” If you didn’t think that Google was working on one, I hope that you do now. Here’s to hoping it looks similar to this Google Time concept.

If you could choose, would you go Google smartwatch or Glass?

google-smartwatch.jpg

Via:  USPTO  | Engadget

[h1]Android in Apr 2013: JB overtakes ICS, Gingerbread still rules[/h1]
02 May, 2013 | Comments (37)  | Post your comment

Tags: State of Android

Google unveiled the latest numbers showing the adoption of the various Android versions in the past month (April 2013). This report is the first to use the new, more realistic metric. It keeps track of how many users manually visited the Play Store. Previous scores were calculated based on how many devices connected to a Google server (even automatically, behind the scenes).

So, it’s not quite clear how much of the changes in distribution are due to the new metric and how much due to users actually upgrading their phones.
gsmarena_003.gif

One thing is clear though - Gingerbread is here to stay - the OS that debuted in the end of 2010 still had the majority share this April (it fell 1.3 percentage points).

Meanwhile, Jelly Bean (4.1 and 4.2 branches combined) overtook Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0). Very few users are on 4.2 and ICS users still outnumber 4.1 users, but both combined account for a larger user base than that of ICS. Also, 4.1 got more new users (it’s up 3.1 percentage points) than 4.2 (up 0.3 percentage points).

Ice Cream Sandwich, Android 4.0, which actually grew in market share in March  is down 1.8 percentage points in April. Perhaps that's due to the introduction of the new metric.

Confused about the differences between Android versions? Check out our detailed rundown here.

Source

[h1]HTC M4 surfaces, looks like a mid-range variant of the HTC One[/h1]
01 May, 2013 | Comments (64)  | Post your comment

Tags: HTCAndroidTouch UI

It seems HTC is planning on releasing a younger sibling to the critically acclaimed HTC One. The HTC M4 as it is called for now (the One was called M7 at one point) looks very similar to the HTC One but will have downgraded specifications and a lower price tag to go with them.
gsmarena_001.jpg

​
The M4 design looks very similar to the One's but it's difficult to tell right now if HTC will be using the premium aluminum for the body or will settle for similar looking plastic. Unless the bands on the back are for just show, it does seem, though, that HTC will be using aluminum for the construction once again.

On the front you can see the dual stereo speaker above and below the display and a key arrangement similar to the HTC One. On the side is the micro SIM slot in the same location as on the One. On the back, the camera flash has been relocated above the lens and a large Beats Audio logo replaces the text on the One.

Software also looks similar to the One, with HTC's Blinkfeed placed prominently on the homescreen.

As for the specifications of the device, the M4 is said to have a 4.3-inch, 720p display, dual-core processor, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of internal memory and a 1,700mAh battery. Interestingly, the M4 will also feature an UltraPixel camera, although the specifications are unknown at this point, which makes it hard to tell if it will be the same unit as on the One or a different one.

The phone is expected to ship near the end of the second quarter with LTE support and Android 4.2 Jelly Bean. If you wanted the HTC One for its design but thought it was a bit out of the reach because of the price, then this should serve as the next best alternative.

Source

Once I seen the black I gave in [/quote]
[img]https://statich.niketalk.com/smilies/eek.gif  

straight fire, tmobile need to stop playing and bring on the black. they can barely get the silver right now though 
mean.gif

any more pics of the case?

Last edited:
Yea that black one is mean. I need att to go ahead and release the black 64 gig version and I'm in! How's the battery life for you note owners? How much available memory out of the box with the 64 gig versions?

The black one doesn't have the same feel as the white one. The back seems to have some kind of matte like finish. I don't think I'm a fan of the texture and it looks like it will attracts stains and smudges easily. Gonna switch to the white one tomorrow.

As far as the case goes I did notice that it is going to crease and not stay flat, but that's not a huge deal to me. The phone feels so good I don't really want to use it without a case. I might just cope one with a bumper later on down the line as more accessories are released.

One thing I dont like is that the home and back button aren't as responsive as they were with the S3. With that, I barely had to tap it and it would respond. I'll just chalk it up to me not being used to the phone. I'll give another review after I've had it for a week.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom