Verizon Wireless announcing the Iphone on Tuesday January 11th

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

Originally Posted by ElderWatsonDiggs

For the record...gaming on the iPhone has gotten leaps and bounds better than when it first started. We aint just talking Super Monkey Ball anymore. I have Battlefield Bad Company 2 on it and it is better than the games on my PSP graphically and otherwise. First off the hardware of the iPhone 4 is more powerful than the PSP.

PSP specs:
  • CPU: 333Mhz
  • Main Memory: 32MB
  • Embedded DRAM: 4MB
  • Display: 4.3 inch, 16:9 widescreen TFT LCD, 480 x 272 pixel (16.77 million colors),
IPhone 4 specs:
  • CPU: 1000Mhz
  • Main Memory: 512MB
  • Embedded DRAM:???
  • Display: 3.5 inch TFT LCD, 640 x960 pixel

The graphics processor on the iPhone 4 is more robust as well. And this is not including the fact that the iPhone has an accelerometer, AND gyroscope which can enhance the gaming experience if utilized. I thought my PSP screen was nice when I first got it, but the Retina display @$%#% on it big time. Although I must say that the Super AMOLED screen are nice too.

Do you know when the first PSP came out? 2004. The iPhone 4 came out in 2010. People weren't even aware of HD's existence until probably 2007 or so. Obviously the device that came out 6 years later is gonna have better specs than the one that came out 6 years, ago.

Doesn't matter though someone attacked my comment with iPhone games being graphically on par with the other handheld devices. Truth is the iPhone can compete with the other handhelds and is becoming a viable market for game developers. I think the iPhone could compete with the DS easily with the right people backing the platform which seems to be happening.

I understand that, but you also gotta keep in mind the PSP came out 6 years before the iPhone 4.
I wanna see more of the 3DS before I make any judgements on it.

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

For the record...gaming on the iPhone has gotten leaps and bounds better than when it first started. We aint just talking Super Monkey Ball anymore. I have Battlefield Bad Company 2 on it and it is better than the games on my PSP graphically and otherwise. First off the hardware of the iPhone 4 is more powerful than the PSP.

PSP specs:
  • CPU: 333Mhz
  • Main Memory: 32MB
  • Embedded DRAM: 4MB
  • Display: 4.3 inch, 16:9 widescreen TFT LCD, 480 x 272 pixel (16.77 million colors),
IPhone 4 specs:
  • CPU: 1000Mhz
  • Main Memory: 512MB
  • Embedded DRAM:???
  • Display: 3.5 inch TFT LCD, 640 x960 pixel

The graphics processor on the iPhone 4 is more robust as well. And this is not including the fact that the iPhone has an accelerometer, AND gyroscope which can enhance the gaming experience if utilized. I thought my PSP screen was nice when I first got it, but the Retina display @$%#% on it big time. Although I must say that the Super AMOLED screen are nice too.

Do you know when the first PSP came out? 2004. The iPhone 4 came out in 2010. People weren't even aware of HD's existence until probably 2007 or so. Obviously the device that came out 6 years later is gonna have better specs than the one that came out 6 years, ago.

Doesn't matter though someone attacked my comment with iPhone games being graphically on par with the other handheld devices. Truth is the iPhone can compete with the other handhelds and is becoming a viable market for game developers. I think the iPhone could compete with the DS easily with the right people backing the platform which seems to be happening.

I understand that, but you also gotta keep in mind the PSP came out 6 years before the iPhone 4.

So you understand that the psp is inferior technology, bottom line.

Hence the reason why handheld iphone games can look better than psp games.

You suck at debating dude.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 ya'll are still arguing about this? 
tired.gif

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

You're talking about graphics. I was talking about gameplay. Gameplay on PSP > gameplay on the iPhone. That was what I've been talking about the entire time until we got into the whole DS vs PSP debate.

You're talking about graphics. I was talking about gameplay. Gameplay on PSP > gameplay on the iPhone. That was what I've been talking about the entire time until we got into the whole DS vs PSP debate.

The gameplay of the games are not as in-depth as most PSP games yet but they will be. People originally didn't think people would want to watch full movies on smaller mobile devices but look what has happen. People have this notion that cell phone games are supposed to be short time killers but they were only short time killers because of the limitation of technology.

The gameplay of the games are not as in-depth as most PSP games yet but they will be. People originally didn't think people would want to watch full movies on smaller mobile devices but look what has happen. People have this notion that cell phone games are supposed to be short time killers but they were only short time killers because of the limitation of technology.

^^^^Usain knows what he's talking about... The gameplay of the Android/iPhone games is evolving at a rapid rate. At first I could never imagine playing a first person shooter without physical inputs...but now I'm used to it and it's second nature.

It used to be the same way with PC versus consoles...PC gamers would say that console FPS would never take off because true FPS is played with mouse and keyboard...not a controller. I'll admit that playing with a controller was awkward at first...fast forward to now consoles dominate the FPS market. Things change...stuff evolves...mobile gaming on cell phone platforms is gaining momentum...the "dinosaurs" like Sony and Nintendo need to evolve or be left behind.

Sony could have definitely released a better spec'd PSP...but they got lazy and just rehashed the same one released back in 2004...now looking back that may have cost them.

^^^^Usain knows what he's talking about... The gameplay of the Android/iPhone games is evolving at a rapid rate. At first I could never imagine playing a first person shooter without physical inputs...but now I'm used to it and it's second nature.

It used to be the same way with PC versus consoles...PC gamers would say that console FPS would never take off because true FPS is played with mouse and keyboard...not a controller. I'll admit that playing with a controller was awkward at first...fast forward to now consoles dominate the FPS market. Things change...stuff evolves...mobile gaming on cell phone platforms is gaining momentum...the "dinosaurs" like Sony and Nintendo need to evolve or be left behind.

Sony could have definitely released a better spec'd PSP...but they got lazy and just rehashed the same one released back in 2004...now looking back that may have cost them.

so far, after reading and making comparisons.

i just might stay put. im just gonna wait till i hear more feedback when the phone drops. real talk, both phones are the same except one has one or two extra features and both are behind tech wise. its better to wait for the new iphone whenever it drops

so far, after reading and making comparisons.

i just might stay put. im just gonna wait till i hear more feedback when the phone drops. real talk, both phones are the same except one has one or two extra features and both are behind tech wise. its better to wait for the new iphone whenever it drops

Things change...stuff evolves...mobile gaming on cell phone platforms is gaining momentum...the "dinosaurs" like Sony and Nintendo need to evolve or be left behind.
At first I was going to disagree with this but upon second thought, you might really be on to something.  I'm blown away by the graphics on some of these mobile phone games (Need for Speed, NOVA, etc..) .  Throw in accelerometer, gyroscope, and fairly solid on-screen controls and you have a great gaming experience.  As children become more included in the target demographic, mobile gaming might really contend with portable gaming systems.  The distribution and parental controls logistics would need to get worked out but that's not a big task.  Also battery consumption is a big thing and I dont see too many people around me carrying extra batteries (I keep an extra in my wallet).

In time, the PSP and DS could have the same fate as the GPS in the future.  It's going to be something interesting to keep track of. 

Things change...stuff evolves...mobile gaming on cell phone platforms is gaining momentum...the "dinosaurs" like Sony and Nintendo need to evolve or be left behind.
At first I was going to disagree with this but upon second thought, you might really be on to something.  I'm blown away by the graphics on some of these mobile phone games (Need for Speed, NOVA, etc..) .  Throw in accelerometer, gyroscope, and fairly solid on-screen controls and you have a great gaming experience.  As children become more included in the target demographic, mobile gaming might really contend with portable gaming systems.  The distribution and parental controls logistics would need to get worked out but that's not a big task.  Also battery consumption is a big thing and I dont see too many people around me carrying extra batteries (I keep an extra in my wallet).

In time, the PSP and DS could have the same fate as the GPS in the future.  It's going to be something interesting to keep track of. 

I'm not sure where the notion of the iOS is behind "tech wise" is coming from. I don't expect the next iPhone or next reiteration of the iOS (5.0) to require anything more than what the iPhone 4 currently has. When the 4 came out and 4.0 was released iOS 4.0 still ran pretty smoothly on the 3gs. I don't think fragmentation issues will come up unless you are 2 product cycles behind like what is being seen of the 3G. I honestly don't know what to expect specs wise from the iPhone 5 but I don't see that much of a jump from the iOS 4 which I would say was a big jump from the 3Gs.

Personal predictions from me though on the topic of the release of the 5 is on AT&T I think late July. On verizon probably right before christmas but I could see them waiting a complete year. I think verizon will alter their upgrade policy to compete with at&ts policly which does allow you to upgrade every year (I read verizon was getting rid of mid contract upgrades)

I'm not sure where the notion of the iOS is behind "tech wise" is coming from. I don't expect the next iPhone or next reiteration of the iOS (5.0) to require anything more than what the iPhone 4 currently has. When the 4 came out and 4.0 was released iOS 4.0 still ran pretty smoothly on the 3gs. I don't think fragmentation issues will come up unless you are 2 product cycles behind like what is being seen of the 3G. I honestly don't know what to expect specs wise from the iPhone 5 but I don't see that much of a jump from the iOS 4 which I would say was a big jump from the 3Gs.

Personal predictions from me though on the topic of the release of the 5 is on AT&T I think late July. On verizon probably right before christmas but I could see them waiting a complete year. I think verizon will alter their upgrade policy to compete with at&ts policly which does allow you to upgrade every year (I read verizon was getting rid of mid contract upgrades)

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

Everything is already in place my dude for ios. There are already parental controls built into iTunes that have been working so far for movies. Battery wise all iOS product (outside of the 3G) have had really good battery life. The biggest concern about this is the fact that it is digital distribution. Currently there is a 20 meg limit of what you can download over 3G and most of the big name games are well over the limit (I think rage is around a gig). I know AT&T and verizon will not want people to be downloading these large files on their network so apple is going to need to come up with a compression method to shrink these games downs. MS came out something similar to what apple will need before the 360 launch to deal with the size difference between bluray and the aging DVD format. It's called Procedural Synthesis.Here is an article about it:http://i.joystiq.com/2006...mings-fountain-of-youth/

Originally Posted by s0leFUNK

Everything is already in place my dude for ios. There are already parental controls built into iTunes that have been working so far for movies. Battery wise all iOS product (outside of the 3G) have had really good battery life. The biggest concern about this is the fact that it is digital distribution. Currently there is a 20 meg limit of what you can download over 3G and most of the big name games are well over the limit (I think rage is around a gig). I know AT&T and verizon will not want people to be downloading these large files on their network so apple is going to need to come up with a compression method to shrink these games downs. MS came out something similar to what apple will need before the 360 launch to deal with the size difference between bluray and the aging DVD format. It's called Procedural Synthesis.Here is an article about it:http://i.joystiq.com/2006...mings-fountain-of-youth/

Back
Top Bottom