Verizon Wireless announcing the Iphone on Tuesday January 11th

I've been reading some information on this.

Is the new iphone for att in the summer actually confirmed, or is it being based off past release cycles that it should be coming out?

I read that even if it does come out, it most likely will not be 4G because att doesn't have a 4G network.

Which then maybe in early 2012 apple would release 4g iphones on verizon and att then?

Is the new iphone for att in the summer actually confirmed, or is it being based off past release cycles that it should be coming out?

I read that even if it does come out, it most likely will not be 4G because att doesn't have a 4G network.

Which then maybe in early 2012 apple would release 4g iphones on verizon and att then?

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

1. That doesnt make sense. How could you ever be up to date with anyones Hardware if people release phones after your phone? How can you be up to date with any software if you are running a totally different platform? From my personal expereince and third party software will come out on the iPhone before Android. Show me ANY example of a major developer developing for the Android before the iPhone platform. You wont. iOS is the primary mobile developing platform even though it has the a smaller market share than android ios users support its app store way better than the Android Market.

2. Again have you seen the games here are gameplay screenshots. These screen shots are better than any DS game I remember and on par with what I remember from the PSP.
rage-hd-review-8.png
infinity_blade_troll.jpg

metal-gear-solid-iphone.jpg
<----- An Older IOS game, look at the graphics.

3. How do you explain the attachment rate for the wii then? If it was the inferior product than why would people be buying the games in boatloads? The games suited peoples needs better than what the PS3 and XBOX had at the time for familys. The Wii was looked as a family consoles and the other 2 were looked up as Hardcore consoles. Why do you think MS is trying to change its image to a more family oriented console now? The family gamer demographic is HUGE and has basically been untouched until the Wii came out.

1. Hardware, it's easy, HTC, Motorola, Samsung, LG etc. do it all the time. Far as software, that's Apple fault if they want to continue to backpedal on outdated tech for years. I have an iPhone, I know what the feeling is when seeing what AndroidOS can do and has done in the span of a year. It's constantly evolving and the hardware manufactures are right up there with them. Apple controls what they give you, what they want you to see. Apple want to evolve the iPhone at a certain pace because they dont want to hurt there base, they think there base isn't ready for next gen tech but actually Apple in some cases is calling there consumers stupid. That's where Google x [insert phone hardware company here] comes in, they let YOU the consumer decided, not some rich dude in Nor Cal. Let's not forget, it launched without MMS because Apple idea told you emailing photos is the future of mobile devices, 
laugh.gif

2. Yes, I've seen RageHD before, it looks great for a phone. I have Metal Gear Solid for the iPhone, it's fun, looks good to. Doesn't take much though because the backgrounds are pre-render into a 2D bump map, you don't need much tech to do that. Squaresoft has been doing this for years with Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 and 10 etc. Also it's not like Solid Snake heavy render in 3D either or there tons of particle animations going on. While it's a good looking game, its not technically doing anything spectacular that a PSP or DS can't handle.

3. In the beginning it was all about price, why do you think the PS360 sold much better after those price drops? Wii does have a demographic, but it's not the sole purpose of why it sold so well. Also Wii games are cheaper than PS360 games. Now that the PS360 are at reasonable price point, they are now focusing on going after the demographic with Move/Kinect.

1. That doesnt make sense. How could you ever be up to date with anyones Hardware if people release phones after your phone? How can you be up to date with any software if you are running a totally different platform? From my personal expereince and third party software will come out on the iPhone before Android. Show me ANY example of a major developer developing for the Android before the iPhone platform. You wont. iOS is the primary mobile developing platform even though it has the a smaller market share than android ios users support its app store way better than the Android Market.

2. Again have you seen the games here are gameplay screenshots. These screen shots are better than any DS game I remember and on par with what I remember from the PSP.
rage-hd-review-8.png
infinity_blade_troll.jpg

3. How do you explain the attachment rate for the wii then? If it was the inferior product than why would people be buying the games in boatloads? The games suited peoples needs better than what the PS3 and XBOX had at the time for familys. The Wii was looked as a family consoles and the other 2 were looked up as Hardcore consoles. Why do you think MS is trying to change its image to a more family oriented console now? The family gamer demographic is HUGE and has basically been untouched until the Wii came out.

1. Hardware, it's easy, HTC, Motorola, Samsung, LG etc. do it all the time. Far as software, that's Apple fault if they want to continue to backpedal on outdated tech for years. I have an iPhone, I know what the feeling is when seeing what AndroidOS can do and has done in the span of a year. It's constantly evolving and the hardware manufactures are right up there with them. Apple controls what they give you, what they want you to see. Apple want to evolve the iPhone at a certain pace because they dont want to hurt there base, they think there base isn't ready for next gen tech but actually Apple in some cases is calling there consumers stupid. That's where Google x [insert phone hardware company here] comes in, they let YOU the consumer decided, not some rich dude in Nor Cal. Let's not forget, it launched without MMS because Apple idea told you emailing photos is the future of mobile devices, 
laugh.gif

2. Yes, I've seen RageHD before, it looks great for a phone. I have Metal Gear Solid for the iPhone, it's fun, looks good to. Doesn't take much though because the backgrounds are pre-render into a 2D bump map, you don't need much tech to do that. Squaresoft has been doing this for years with Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 and 10 etc. Also it's not like Solid Snake heavy render in 3D either or there tons of particle animations going on. While it's a good looking game, its not technically doing anything spectacular that a PSP or DS can't handle.

3. In the beginning it was all about price, why do you think the PS360 sold much better after those price drops? Wii does have a demographic, but it's not the sole purpose of why it sold so well. Also Wii games are cheaper than PS360 games. Now that the PS360 are at reasonable price point, they are now focusing on going after the demographic with Move/Kinect.

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

rage-hd-review-8.png
infinity_blade_troll.jpg

laugh.gif

1. What exact technology is the average iphone consumer missing out on that Android has to offer? Apple's logic that you have mentioned is something that they apply to all their devices. Apple isnt quick to make updates that just their nature consumers should know that before purchasing their device. Android phone's hardware has been easily surpassing the application development and even the development of their OS. Realistcaly whats the point of having a phone with a dual core processor if there is no software to use for it? What you are kind of insinuating is for Apple to open up its iOS to different hardware manufacturers which it WONT do. This is a clear and obvious stance from Apple and it has been this way for a LONG time. Everyone should know now that they will refresh their products on an annual cycle which has worked VERY well with consumers. It has been mentioned in this thread that the OG Droid and its successor where released in less than a year from each other. That means that the original adopters were unable to even purchase the latest edition of that phone series. Dont you find that a bit unfair? It is really hard to compare hardware specs on different platforms. If you look at Mac vs PC debate, a lot of people want to make the claim that PC is better strictly off hardware reasons which is a dumb stance on the argument. iOS and OSX are made to be ran on SPECIFIC hardware. The software developers on both platforms are utilizing and taking advantages of that specific hardware. There is a big difference when you are writing a program for one specific hardware configuration and writing a program that needs to run well on multiple configurations. Even if you look at the bare grit of in programming language the most accessible language (Java) is the slowest of all languages.

2. Metal Gear Solid for the iOS isnt really a fair example of gaming on the platform since it is quite dated but it still shows an example of how far we have progressed in such a short time on phone games. Rage HD from Metal Gear Solid is a pretty big leap and most will say the same for Infinity Blade (which has been getting WONDERFUL reviews by all major gaming publications). What has the Android OS dont to even compete with the games on the iOS? Little to nothing is offered from the Android user in terms of actual games. You may get some cheap simple angry bird game but interms of games that can compete with other handhelds you guys have been currently left to dry.

3. Not to spend time on this argument but I do agree that price played a role in the success in the wii but that is overshadowing the fact that the Family market (which the wii targets heavily) makes up a large piece of the gaming industry. Look at the success of Kinect vs Move. Kinect is a way more family friendly and easier for users to use than the PS3 move. Kinect is I believe twice as much as the standard move bundle and it is CRUSHING the Move. Consumers will pay more for a better experience. The Wii offered at the time the best family experience that a console could offer at the moment.

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

rage-hd-review-8.png
infinity_blade_troll.jpg

laugh.gif

1. What exact technology is the average iphone consumer missing out on that Android has to offer? Apple's logic that you have mentioned is something that they apply to all their devices. Apple isnt quick to make updates that just their nature consumers should know that before purchasing their device. Android phone's hardware has been easily surpassing the application development and even the development of their OS. Realistcaly whats the point of having a phone with a dual core processor if there is no software to use for it? What you are kind of insinuating is for Apple to open up its iOS to different hardware manufacturers which it WONT do. This is a clear and obvious stance from Apple and it has been this way for a LONG time. Everyone should know now that they will refresh their products on an annual cycle which has worked VERY well with consumers. It has been mentioned in this thread that the OG Droid and its successor where released in less than a year from each other. That means that the original adopters were unable to even purchase the latest edition of that phone series. Dont you find that a bit unfair? It is really hard to compare hardware specs on different platforms. If you look at Mac vs PC debate, a lot of people want to make the claim that PC is better strictly off hardware reasons which is a dumb stance on the argument. iOS and OSX are made to be ran on SPECIFIC hardware. The software developers on both platforms are utilizing and taking advantages of that specific hardware. There is a big difference when you are writing a program for one specific hardware configuration and writing a program that needs to run well on multiple configurations. Even if you look at the bare grit of in programming language the most accessible language (Java) is the slowest of all languages.

2. Metal Gear Solid for the iOS isnt really a fair example of gaming on the platform since it is quite dated but it still shows an example of how far we have progressed in such a short time on phone games. Rage HD from Metal Gear Solid is a pretty big leap and most will say the same for Infinity Blade (which has been getting WONDERFUL reviews by all major gaming publications). What has the Android OS dont to even compete with the games on the iOS? Little to nothing is offered from the Android user in terms of actual games. You may get some cheap simple angry bird game but interms of games that can compete with other handhelds you guys have been currently left to dry.

3. Not to spend time on this argument but I do agree that price played a role in the success in the wii but that is overshadowing the fact that the Family market (which the wii targets heavily) makes up a large piece of the gaming industry. Look at the success of Kinect vs Move. Kinect is a way more family friendly and easier for users to use than the PS3 move. Kinect is I believe twice as much as the standard move bundle and it is CRUSHING the Move. Consumers will pay more for a better experience. The Wii offered at the time the best family experience that a console could offer at the moment.

Originally Posted by Bozo7000

Currently all information on the iphone 5 is based of just speculation. I dont think they would shaft their adopters by not relasing in on its normal release cycle but there is no real hardcore evidence of this. AT&T DOES actually have a "4g" network (realistically its not 4g but no ones network "really is") which is HSPA+ which they talked about recently at CES.

Here is some more information on it:

http://www.dailytech.com/...ndroids/article20575.htm
http://www.att.com/network/

AT&T will be releasing 3 4G Android phones in the near future.

Originally Posted by Bozo7000

Currently all information on the iphone 5 is based of just speculation. I dont think they would shaft their adopters by not relasing in on its normal release cycle but there is no real hardcore evidence of this. AT&T DOES actually have a "4g" network (realistically its not 4g but no ones network "really is") which is HSPA+ which they talked about recently at CES.

Here is some more information on it:

http://www.dailytech.com/...ndroids/article20575.htm
http://www.att.com/network/

AT&T will be releasing 3 4G Android phones in the near future.

Story link

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Verizon iPhone Data Plans Could Hit $120/Month[/h1]
By Matt Hamblen, Computerworld   Jan 11, 2011 5:36 pm

216451-verizon-iphone-final_original.jpg
Verizon Wireless hasn't announced the price of its monthly iPhone data plan, igniting speculation that the company plans to charge up to $120 monthly for unlimited data on top of voice and texting costs.

"Data plans for Verizon iPhone could range from $20 to $90 a month or even $120 unlimited a month," said Rob Enderle, an analyst at Enderle Group. "The iPhone uses an awful lot of data, so they will have to charge heavily for data and it will be fairly expensive."

Other analysts said it would be unwise for Verizon to charge so much, especially if the costs for monthly data for the iPhone is different from other smartphones running Android or other OSes.

"My general assumption is that monthly pricing will remain on par with other smartphones Verizon sells," said Dan Hays, a consultant at PRTM. "Verizon would be hard-pressed to justify a pricing difference between one smartphone in its portfolio and another and they have consistently moved to align pricing across different manufacturers."

Still, Verizon has released an FAQ that says customers will need to pick an existing Nationwide voice plan for two years and adds: "Customers will be required to activate a data package; pricing will be announced at a later date."

A Verizon spokesman, asked to clarify, said the iPhone service plans have not been announced, adding to growing concerns over what the prices will be.

The fact that "a later date" is mentioned in the FAQ suggests to some analysts that prices will probably go up, perhaps for all smartphones on Verizon.

Today, Verizon advertises data plans costing $15 a month for 150 MB of data on 3G smartphones, or $29.99 for unlimited data. Separately, Verizon charges for text and voice. The top fee for texting covers 5,000 texts or unlimited mobile to mobile for $20 a month; the top unlimited voice plan is $69.99. Texting plans start at 20 cents per text; voice plans start at $39.99 a month for 450 minutes.

As an example, if Verizon were to charge $120 for data on top of the highest monthly fees for texting and voice, a monthly bill would hit $330, up from $220 now. None of those prices include taxes and fees.

The concern about monthly pricing focuses mainly on data, which is made more complex because Verizon and Apple announced the Verizon iPhone will support up to five Wi-Fi devices as a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Other devices and smartphones offering similar Wi-Fi access at Verizon are charged $20 a month.

With the current charges for hotspot functionality and unlimited data plans on 3G phones, some analysts predicted that Verizon could come up with a scheme to combine both functions. They suggested the minimum data price for both features would be about $50.

Jack Gold, an analyst at J. Gold Associates, said that whatever Verizon charges for Personal Hotspot capabilities will be tied to the cost of the iPhone data plan, even if the two are separate charges on a bill.

"The amount for [a Personal Hotspot] will depend upon the cost for a data plan," Gold said, noting that some users will never set up a Wi-Fi spot for more than one other device and would not want to pay for five.

With five devices over Wi-Fi on an iPhone, actual data usage could soar, analysts noted, something that Verizon has certainly considered.

"Verizon may decide to announce a $120 monthly unlimited data plan for iPhone [including the Personal Hotspot function] and see how much data is used and then throttle back later," Enderle said. He noted that AT&T had an unlimited plan, but imposed caps last year.

AT&T now charges $25 a month for 2GB for smartphone data plans, and $10 for each 1GB over that amount. When Verizon launched the Galaxy Tab last year, it created five data plans that topped out at $80 a month for 10GB, with $10 for each added 1GB. That approach could be employed by Verizon for smartphones, including the iPhone, as well, some analysts suggested.

Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at http://twitter.com/matthamblen@matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is [email protected] .

Story link

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Verizon iPhone Data Plans Could Hit $120/Month[/h1]
By Matt Hamblen, Computerworld   Jan 11, 2011 5:36 pm

216451-verizon-iphone-final_original.jpg
Verizon Wireless hasn't announced the price of its monthly iPhone data plan, igniting speculation that the company plans to charge up to $120 monthly for unlimited data on top of voice and texting costs.

"Data plans for Verizon iPhone could range from $20 to $90 a month or even $120 unlimited a month," said Rob Enderle, an analyst at Enderle Group. "The iPhone uses an awful lot of data, so they will have to charge heavily for data and it will be fairly expensive."

Other analysts said it would be unwise for Verizon to charge so much, especially if the costs for monthly data for the iPhone is different from other smartphones running Android or other OSes.

"My general assumption is that monthly pricing will remain on par with other smartphones Verizon sells," said Dan Hays, a consultant at PRTM. "Verizon would be hard-pressed to justify a pricing difference between one smartphone in its portfolio and another and they have consistently moved to align pricing across different manufacturers."

Still, Verizon has released an FAQ that says customers will need to pick an existing Nationwide voice plan for two years and adds: "Customers will be required to activate a data package; pricing will be announced at a later date."

A Verizon spokesman, asked to clarify, said the iPhone service plans have not been announced, adding to growing concerns over what the prices will be.

The fact that "a later date" is mentioned in the FAQ suggests to some analysts that prices will probably go up, perhaps for all smartphones on Verizon.

Today, Verizon advertises data plans costing $15 a month for 150 MB of data on 3G smartphones, or $29.99 for unlimited data. Separately, Verizon charges for text and voice. The top fee for texting covers 5,000 texts or unlimited mobile to mobile for $20 a month; the top unlimited voice plan is $69.99. Texting plans start at 20 cents per text; voice plans start at $39.99 a month for 450 minutes.

As an example, if Verizon were to charge $120 for data on top of the highest monthly fees for texting and voice, a monthly bill would hit $330, up from $220 now. None of those prices include taxes and fees.

The concern about monthly pricing focuses mainly on data, which is made more complex because Verizon and Apple announced the Verizon iPhone will support up to five Wi-Fi devices as a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Other devices and smartphones offering similar Wi-Fi access at Verizon are charged $20 a month.

With the current charges for hotspot functionality and unlimited data plans on 3G phones, some analysts predicted that Verizon could come up with a scheme to combine both functions. They suggested the minimum data price for both features would be about $50.

Jack Gold, an analyst at J. Gold Associates, said that whatever Verizon charges for Personal Hotspot capabilities will be tied to the cost of the iPhone data plan, even if the two are separate charges on a bill.

"The amount for [a Personal Hotspot] will depend upon the cost for a data plan," Gold said, noting that some users will never set up a Wi-Fi spot for more than one other device and would not want to pay for five.

With five devices over Wi-Fi on an iPhone, actual data usage could soar, analysts noted, something that Verizon has certainly considered.

"Verizon may decide to announce a $120 monthly unlimited data plan for iPhone [including the Personal Hotspot function] and see how much data is used and then throttle back later," Enderle said. He noted that AT&T had an unlimited plan, but imposed caps last year.

AT&T now charges $25 a month for 2GB for smartphone data plans, and $10 for each 1GB over that amount. When Verizon launched the Galaxy Tab last year, it created five data plans that topped out at $80 a month for 10GB, with $10 for each added 1GB. That approach could be employed by Verizon for smartphones, including the iPhone, as well, some analysts suggested.

Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at http://twitter.com/matthamblen@matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is [email protected] .

Originally Posted by you go boy

is verizon offering insurance for the iphone?

No information released so far has shown that they will be. There are other options though if you need insurance that will cover almost everything.

warrantyyoo.jpg

Originally Posted by you go boy

is verizon offering insurance for the iphone?

No information released so far has shown that they will be. There are other options though if you need insurance that will cover almost everything.

warrantyyoo.jpg

The Incredible is made by HTC and the Droid X is made by Motorola, both Android competitors on Verizon network. Why would Verizon release another iPhone (5?) 6 months later? Lets not undermine the fact Apple won't let them.  I'm sure Apple said, "look you can have the iPhone now, a straight AT&T rip, or you can wait a year for a 4G LTE Verizon version" and Verizon said, %$$$ it, give it to us now.

If Verizon woulda said no to the iphone again, it woulda been their last chance, stupid business move for not taking it the first time around.

Most likely verizon will get an updated version of the Iphone in 8-10 months, of course theyll wanna cash in a second time asap, its a win win for the companies.

The Incredible is made by HTC and the Droid X is made by Motorola, both Android competitors on Verizon network. Why would Verizon release another iPhone (5?) 6 months later? Lets not undermine the fact Apple won't let them.  I'm sure Apple said, "look you can have the iPhone now, a straight AT&T rip, or you can wait a year for a 4G LTE Verizon version" and Verizon said, %$$$ it, give it to us now.

If Verizon woulda said no to the iphone again, it woulda been their last chance, stupid business move for not taking it the first time around.

Most likely verizon will get an updated version of the Iphone in 8-10 months, of course theyll wanna cash in a second time asap, its a win win for the companies.

Originally Posted by ISRAEL5EKLA

You think if they declined the iPhone 4 they wouldnt of had the option of waiting out for the iphone 5? I know for sure Verizon will get the iphone 5 eventually but I think releasing the iphone 4 now on their network is going to push back the date they COULD of had the iphone 5. Just my opinion. I doubt they really care about what the consumers would have wanted so more than likely they are just cashing in 2 phones out of verizon customers (because honestly who is going to buy the 4 and not want to buy the 5 if given the option).

Originally Posted by ISRAEL5EKLA

You think if they declined the iPhone 4 they wouldnt of had the option of waiting out for the iphone 5? I know for sure Verizon will get the iphone 5 eventually but I think releasing the iphone 4 now on their network is going to push back the date they COULD of had the iphone 5. Just my opinion. I doubt they really care about what the consumers would have wanted so more than likely they are just cashing in 2 phones out of verizon customers (because honestly who is going to buy the 4 and not want to buy the 5 if given the option).

You guys think the resale value for the Verizon iPhone 4 might be less due to the fact not many carriers use CDMA?

You guys think the resale value for the Verizon iPhone 4 might be less due to the fact not many carriers use CDMA?

Back
Top Bottom