*USA Basketball* WOMEN EARN GOLD v. ESP (101-72)! MEN EARN GOLD v. SRB (96-66)!

Argentina is old as dirt and only have two players worth a damn on their entire roster but both are like 40, Venezuela is just terrible and China is probably the worst team in the entire tournament. Those exhibition games were not a good measuring stick. It will be a whole different ballgame when they play Spain, Australia, Croatia, Lithuania, Serbia or France.

Whole different ballgame?

You mean instead of winning by 50, we'll win by 25?

Last edited:
Considering most of these teams are a step slower or worse due to missing talent, Team USA SHOULD satill dominate all of these games.

Spain would have been the biggest threat, but they lose a lot without Marc being out there. Argentina is too old. Austrailia's best bet is to grind the game out and hope to get USA in a scrappy contest. It would've been nice if they had a guy like Simmons on the team, though.

I will say ...if any USA team is capable of slipping up, it would be this one. The 08 and 12 squads were just too great from a talent standpoint. Of course, this team is heads and shoulders better than everyone else, but they lack the continuity that teams like Spain, Austrailia, France, Argentina, etc. have. I wouldn't be surprised to see 1 or 2 games close to down to the wire with USA pulling it out by 8-10 points.

Teams that can take away USA's main advantage (size in the frontcourt) will pose the biggest threat. Spain kinda lacks that without Marc, but France and Austrailia has it.

Last edited:
Considering most of these teams are a step slower or worse due to missing talent, Team USA SHOULD satill dominate all of these games.

Spain would have been the biggest threat, but they lose a lot without Marc being out there. Argentina is too old. Austrailia's best bet is to grind the game out and hope to get USA in a scrappy contest. It would've been nice if they had a guy like Simmons on the team, though.

I will say ...if any USA team is capable of slipping up, it would be this one. The 08 and 12 squads were just too great from a talent standpoint. Of course, this team is heads and shoulders better than everyone else, but they lack the continuity that teams like Spain, Austrailia, France, Argentina, etc. have. I wouldn't be surprised to see 1 or 2 games close to down to the wire with USA pulling it out by 8-10 points.

Teams that can take away USA's main advantage (size in the frontcourt) will pose the biggest threat. Spain kinda lacks that without Marc, but France and Austrailia has it.
The '14 squad was weaker from a talent standpoint & still flattened everyone. Spain didn't last long enough to get to us & they had Serge Marc & Pau.

I'd be stunned if any of the games are decided by 10 or less.

Last edited:
No one is beating us this year :lol:

USA will always have the 5 best players on the court and even when coach K does a massive sub they'll have the 4 best players on the court (Barnes).

Outside of pure talent / length / athleticism our biggest advantage is depth.

You'd be a fool to think coach K is gonna let us lose to these scrubs. Dude out here chewing people out with a 20 point lead.

Always said that it's a farce that the "rest of the world" caught up to us.

Equally a farce when scouts act like European players are so much more skilled and smarter than their American counterparts. Not true.

The '14 squad was weaker from a talent standpoint & still flattened everyone. Spain didn't last long enough to get to us & they had Serge Marc & Pau.

They didn't play anyone in 2014 outside of Lithuania :lol: . France and Spain beat up on each other and Serbia knocked France out. If the 2012 team could go through games of only winning by 5 against Lithuania and 7 to Spain, USA can slip up in a tight game. Its a difference between saying another team has similar talent level and saying that USA may slip up and find themselves in a tight contest.

None of the teams in 2012 could compare to Team USA, yet they had 2 close games.

To act like there's no chance in hell? :lol: If you've played competitive basketball, watched the NBA, NCAA, etc. you see teams with much better talent slip up all the time and go as far as LOSING games. Its not that difficult to grasp. The main thing is USA coming into each game 100% focused against the better squads and they'll do just fine.

I don't think they'll lose a game and should win the gold. I do expect at least one good enough matchup if they draw the right opponent in the QF, Semi's or Championship round.

Last edited:
only question is...will the woman's team will win by a larger amount than what the men's team?

They didn't play anyone in 2014 outside of Lithuania :lol: . France and Spain beat up on each other and Serbia knocked France out. If the 2012 team could go through games of only winning by 5 against Lithuania and 7 to Spain, USA can slip up in a tight game. Its a difference between saying another team has similar talent level and saying that USA may slip up and find themselves in a tight contest.

None of the teams in 2012 could compare to Team USA, yet they had 2 close games.
.... That's my point :lol:

Spain's losing to France, France is getting dropped by Serbia, but they were supposed to give us a run? We had Davis, Cousins, & Drummond down low. Harden Klay & Steph on the perimeter. France or Spain woulda got worked too.

All the teams in the field today are either old, injured, or just don't have enough to put a scare into this roster.

Last edited:
They're going to **** on Venezuela again but have Australia and Serbia coming up...neither one of those will be blowouts

They're going to **** on Venezuela again but have Australia and Serbia coming up...neither one of those will be blowouts
laugh.gif

Serbia got a beat down in the 2014 World Cup final. They will get another beat down in these Olympics. The Aussies will lose by around 20-25 points. That if Bogut does not get in foul trouble and Patty Mills give them 25 points at least. Otherwise they losing by 30 plus.

Last edited:
We should just send rookies and sophomores to make it fair for everyone else. Let them win some and feel good about themselves.

We should just send rookies and sophomores to make it fair for everyone else. Let them win some and feel good about themselves.

Guys like Towns, Okafor, Johnson, Portis, RHJ, Dunn, Ingram, Hield, etc. would definitely benefit from it.

Maybe 2nd and 3rd year players instead, though. The 3rd year tends to be the year a player makes his mark as a player.

Australia is pretty decent.

Mills, Delly, Ingles, Baynes, Bogut. That's 5 solid Nba players.

Back
Top Bottom