*USA Basketball* WOMEN EARN GOLD v. ESP (101-72)! MEN EARN GOLD v. SRB (96-66)!

Should have done this when I first posted the tv schedule on page 151, but I just added it to the OP.

Despite all his talent, it seems like Hezonja is scared to really do much of anything most of the time. He'll do something great like hit that buzzer beater to end the half then just disappear. He needs to be in attack mode at all times.

quick question, but didnt argentina beat usa in 08 I believe?

can anyone explain how that even happened?

#TheBlock

Not going to act like Dario played a great game, but the block was sick. Croatia in great position now.

[quote name="Buc Em"][quote name="WorldGoneMad"]quick question, but didnt argentina beat usa in 08 I believe?

can anyone explain how that even happened?[/quote]I think that was actually 2004 with the Iverson and Marbury team. Manu and Scola were 12 years younger.[/quote]Yeah, it was 2004.

The only players from our originally selected team that actually went were Iverson and Duncan.

All for different reasons, Kidd, Shaq, Kobe, Vince, Tmac, J. O'Neal, Garnett all stayed in the States. Can't remember who else, but only Iverson and Duncan went from the squad that was originally picked and practiced together.

The replacements were Richard Jefferson, ROOKIES Melo/Wade/Bron, Boozer, Okafor (just drafted), Matrix, Starbury, Odom.

It was rough.

Last edited:
I still think that Tournament of the Americas team in 03 would've won the gold in 04 if everyone didn't quit. With that said, I doubt USA basketball would be nearly as strong from an organizational standpoint without that loss.

Agreed on born points, aepps20 aepps20 . I think the myth before that (and it may be starting to be a myth again) was that we could send our C squad and still come away with gold.

Agreed on born points, aepps20 aepps20 . I think the myth before that (and it may be starting to be a myth again) was that we could send our C squad and still come away with gold.

You and I rode hard for that 04 team. [emoji]128517[/emoji][emoji]128517[/emoji]

I think that the difference between overconfidence then and now is the structure Coach K and Jerry put into place as far as scouting, playing to our strengths (superior athleticism and speed) and using interchangeable parts helps for future success when the top guys don't play. I rewatched the USA/Argentina game from the 03 Tournament of the Americas and the defense guys have played since 07 and the continuity on offense is so much better. The first game with Argentina in 03 was too close for the talent on the floor. Prime Kenyon Martin, Prime Jermaine O'Neal, Timmy, JKIDD, Prime Bibby, TMAC, Angry Vince Carter. Larry Brown and that squad got out of that Tournament on pure talent. The defense and offense were awful and we didn't bother scouting the other teams to find out what type of style they played.

Last edited:
Would CP3 have even made the team over Westbrook, Curry or Kyrie if all of them played? I don't think they'd keep four point guards and all three of those guys have been more successful recently than Chris Paul.

Is this even a real question? :lol:. Coach K would take Cp3 before Kyrie and Westbrook. Hell, Cp3 woulda started with Steph in the backcourt. J Kidd Started for the '08 team over Cp3 and Dwill...but Cp3 played the most mins at point. Dude hasn't fallen off at all. Still arguably the 2nd best PG in the league.

And then you add in "the brotherhood"....plus the fact that he has 2 Golds in '08 and '12 and is one of the captains...he's easily be there. Bron/Melo/Cp3 have the inside line on the Olympics. KD too.

Oh, and Wesbrook and Curry are SG's on the international level. Especially Russ. Watching him locked in on defense and picking up ball handlers 94ft is :pimp:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom