*USA Basketball* WOMEN EARN GOLD v. ESP (101-72)! MEN EARN GOLD v. SRB (96-66)!

I was low on DJ but I watched him more than I ever did this year and he showed me his worth.

With the way the game is moving, he's elite as long as he still has it freak athleticism which he seems to be only getting stronger.

His offensive limitations are a blessing, you don't need a post up 5 at all today especially the Clippers.

He's gotten better on defense every year, I think that will continue over the next 2-3 and then he levels off.

Clippers actually have him on a bargain contract when you consider his value.

Since I've become a clips fan....I've felt the same way. It's been discussed in the thread. He's improved a lil as on on all defender (before ShoeKing comes in here
laugh.gif
)

But yeah...when you watch him closely....You come away with the same feeling.
You already know 
laugh.gif

Just my opinion, but The fact that people think you can get a "serviceable" NBA player to replace DJ for LAC let's me know that he's still extremely underrated, not overrated at all. He was the best 5 in basketball last year sans Draymond.

There's not a single NBA player that big, that mobile, that athletic, and that coordinated, that can do the things that DJ does for the Clippers. I mean, he's one of the freakiest athletes the league has seen from the 5 position man. His rolls to the basket compromises entire defenses. He's improved so much on both sides of the ball. He's actually an okay playmaker now, and every now and then he'll surprise you with a solid to very good 1on1 move with the ball. Elite level finisher with ELITE size and length, out of this world motor, I mean...

Then you factor in the fact that as big as he is, he can protect your rim with the best of them and contain guards on PnR all the way out to the three point line. He was the primary reason why the Clips had the 2nd best defense in the entire league after xmas and had the 6th best defense overall and he still has at least 5 peak years left and should still improve even more. And then you factor in the fact that he never misses games, like ever.

Who can the Clips find as a 5 man that can do what he does? What 5 is quarterbacking an elite defense the way DJ does? Not even a rhetorical question, but who is this serviceable NBA player that could replace DJ?

You already know :lol:

Just my opinion, but The fact that people think you can get a "serviceable" NBA player to replace DJ for LAC let's me know that he's still extremely underrated, not overrated at all. He was the best 5 in basketball last year sans Draymond.

There's not a single NBA player that big, that mobile, that athletic, and that coordinated, that can do the things that DJ does for the Clippers. I mean, he's one of the freakiest athletes the league has seen from the 5 position man. His rolls to the basket compromises entire defenses. He's improved so much on both sides of the ball. He's actually an okay playmaker now, and every now and then he'll surprise you with a solid to very good 1on1 move with the ball. Elite level finisher with ELITE size and length, out of this world motor, I mean...

Then you factor in the fact that as big as he is, he can protect your rim with the best of them and contain guards on PnR all the way out to the three point line. He was the primary reason why the Clips had the 2nd best defense in the entire league after xmas and had the 6th best defense overall and he still has at least 5 peak years left and should still improve even more. And then you factor in the fact that he never misses games, like ever.

Who can the Clips find as a 5 man that can do what he does? What 5 is quarterbacking an elite defense the way DJ does? Not even a rhetorical question, but who is this serviceable NBA player that could replace DJ?

The thing is, when I'm talking about DJ, part of what I'm thinking about is having a big chunk of money we're paying him available to upgrade the 3 position. I think we'd be closer to really contending for a title with a much better 3 and a less good center, then we are the way things are now. Just my opinion.

The thing is, when I'm talking about DJ, part of what I'm thinking about is having a big chunk of money we're paying him available to upgrade the 3 position. I think we'd be closer to really contending for a title with a much better 3 and a less good center, then we are the way things are now. Just my opinion.
Rim protection > Whatever wing would be better for us w/o DJ. The most important position on the floor defensively is the 5. 

I've always felt that the Clips issues with their SF position has been overstated, personally.

Rim protection > Whatever wing would be better for us w/o DJ. The most important position on the floor defensively is the 5. 

I've always felt that the Clips issues with their SF position has been overstated, personally.

I gotta agree with lawdog1 lawdog1

It's much easier to find a rim protector than a good 3&D guy. Imagine signing like a Biyombo...AND having a J Crowder.

That >>> what DJ brings. Oh, and I'd rather have Gobert than DJ.

Last edited:
Biz isn't the rim runner or the threat in the pick and roll DJ is.
Biz gets paid close to what DJ does.
Biz might be older than DJ

I gotta agree with @lawdog1

It's much easier to find a rim protector than a good 3&D guy. Imagine signing like a Biyombo...AND having a J Crowder.

That >>> what DJ brings
I don't know if that makes the Clippers any better than they are now though, not to mention that because of how In vogue 3&D guys are, they wouldn't be cheap.

What I'm saying, is that even if you preferred your suggested scenario, finding an elite 3&D guy along with a capable rim protector would cost you a ton of money and you probably would end up being worse as a result.

Again, feasibly, what 5 man could replicate what DJ does that isn't getting paid big money right now? And what 3&D guy that could make the Clips better isn't being paid big bucks right now? 

I don't know a single 5 man that if you replaced DJ for, the Clips would be a better defensive team right now.

That's what i'm saying though, what serviceable 5 that could replicate DJ's production and impact is out there right now? And what 3&D guy is out there that if paired with this serviceable player, would make the Clippers better on both sides of the ball?

The Clippers were the 6th best defense in the entire league last year. They have averaged just over 55 wins with DJ at the five since Doc has been there.

What serviceable NBA center + good 3&D guy would make LAC better than that?

It's too bad that Wesley Johnson can't play defense or else he would be the ideal guy for LAC at the 3 position. 

Last edited:
^^^Look at how many teams have found Service, athletic, rim protecting 5's thru free agency/draft

Miami with Whiteside
Milwuakee with Plumlee 2
Orlando with Biyombo
OKC with Adams
GSW/Dallas w/ Ezeli

These are just off the top off my head. It's easier to find a rim protecting, low usage 5....than it is to find a versatile 3&D wing that can play small ball 4....shoot 36-40% from 3 and Guard 3 positions.

Golden State and Cleveland have proved that you don't need uber elite rim protesters to win.

Additionally, DJ is unplayable at times. Unless he learns how to hit at least 45% of his free throws...he's a liability.

I mean yeah, but would a combination of an "okay rim protector" with a really good 3&D guy make the Clips any better than they are now?

They were really good last year man. 

I mean yeah, but would a combination of an "okay rim protector" with a really good 3&D guy make the Clips any better than they are now?

They were really good last year man. 

A really good team that lost in the 1st round and probably would have been done in the 2nd round even without the injuries. If you look at the playoff losses in the CP/Blake era, the lack of a reliable 3rd scorer has loomed huge. CP is too small to always count on for clutch buckets. Blake just has issues with that. Jamal should be the guy, but he typically sucks in the playoffs. So, in the end, I think we'd have more of a chance to advance further in the playoffs if we had a center that is maybe not as good as DJ and another wing who can hit shots and occasionally create a shot than having DJ. But its all speculation.

^^^Look at how many teams have found Service, athletic, rim protecting 5's thru free agency/draft

Miami with Whiteside
Milwuakee with Plumlee 2
Orlando with Biyombo
OKC with Adams
GSW/Dallas w/ Ezeli

These are just off the top off my head. It's easier to find a rim protecting, low usage 5....than it is to find a versatile 3&D wing that can play small ball 4....shoot 36-40% from 3 and Guard 3 positions.

Golden State and Cleveland have proved that you don't need uber elite rim protesters to win.

Additionally, DJ is unplayable at times. Unless he learns how to hit at least 45% of his free throws...he's a liability.
Great points...I think you mean Bogut though?? Ezeli went to Portland.  One thing I will say though is Golden State won last year and Bogut didn't really play a heavy load of minutes but for the 15-20 minutes he was in there he was a great rim protector.  This year, when Bogut went down their defense suffered and LBJ and Kyrie were on attack mode.  A block by LBJ was a game/series/championship winning play (and the Kyrie dagger of course).  I agree with you that you don't need an elite rim protector in there for the majority of the game but it stiill is a factor that gets overlooked.  A player like Bogut doesn't play much but can have an impact on the game in the short time he is in.  DJ needs to hit throws at least 50% (hell Shaq hit 1 out of 2 when it counted lol)....and he needs some type of post game to be a huge offensive factor, especially down the stretch.  GSW has no rim protection anymore and I think on paper, they are the favorite to win it all, but if they play the Cavs again, it will be intersting to see who stops Kyrie and Lebron from getting into the paint.  Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but again, it something that can't be overlooked.  

Free Throws low key killing a lot of 5's games like DJ/Drummond/Biyombo.

They would be so much more valuable shooting 70% from the line.

Drummond especially.

Free Throws low key killing a lot of 5's games like DJ/Drummond/Biyombo.

They would be so much more valuable shooting 70% from the line.

Drummond especially.

That's what really turns DJ me off from DJ. The fact that he's unplayable at critical points in the game...and can't max out his potential value on the court because he shoots 40% from the line :x.

Prime Dwight was shooting above 60% from the line. You really couldn't just hack him and take him out. You had to deal with him making 6/10.

That's what really turns DJ me off from DJ. The fact that he's unplayable at critical points in the game...and can't max out his potential value on the court because he shoots 40% from the line :x.

Prime Dwight was shooting above 60% from the line. You really couldn't just hack him and take him out. You had to deal with him making 6/10.

It's crazy g, no reason for guys to be shooting that badly today.

You're killing your team if you're their best rim protector and can't play because of that.

Also when you see how easy it is for these guys to draw fouls? Just so many points left on the board.

They just have to get over the ego and shoot underhanded.

I guess we'll still never know why there's still bad and then shockingly bad

I understand being a poor ft shooter completely. To be at an Andre Drummond level goes beyond modern science

It's the same shot every single time. No excuse. I don't give a damn. Glad they didn't do a drastic rule change. Make the shot or **** up.

thing is, even with as bad as dwight shot frees, he was still giving teams 35-38-40 points in his prime. So these other guys still have no excuses why they cant beat teams. they're all cut from that same, highly athletic, high jumping, major rebounding and dunking, doofus, cloth.

Dwight and Shaq were never as bad as DJ and Drummond at FT shooting. They hovered around 55-60%.

DJ and Drummond shoot 38-40% :x. You can see the fear in DJ's eyes when he steps to the line. ***** look like a kitten.

Drummond is just a big, goofy stupid boy. Not a fan :lol:

Back
Top Bottom