This Footy Thread is Now Closed, New Thread Link on Last page

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have quite possibly the best sports farming system in the world though.

Little league to high school, high school to college, college to the pros.

It produces for every other sport but soccer in his country

This system doesn't work for footy.

In footy you come up through the club's academy, that's it.

Doesn't Man City have an academy in the US?

Edit: Nvm, it looks like some Man City coaches came to the US a few years back.

Last edited:
They definitely exist. Now I'm not sure how legit they are. Meaning if they have actual ties/pipelines to the club or if they're just using the brand name to attract business.

If clubs opened up academies in the US >>>>

Just curious but what do you mean by this?

Satellite academies. They exist, I'm not sure how many American kids actually make the cut and get to go to Europe though. I'm sure Kimchi Papi Kimchi Papi can shine some light on the topic

I don't follow. So he's asking for something that already exists?

The U.S. Development Academy system is approaching it's 10 year anniversary.

Most people knew it would take this long but we're finally beginning to see tangible results from the initiative.

We're sending more young players overseas than ever before and they're matriculating up the European system and getting professional minutes at a rate our country has never seen before.

Kimchi Papi Kimchi Papi disagrees but his knowledge of the DA system is sketchy at best.

Christian Pulisic, Joshua Perez at Fiorentina, Eric Palmer-Brown at FC Porto, Brooks Lennon at Liverpool, the entire American contingent at FC Schalke, are all recent examples of the DA system in action.

Never in our playing history have we produced talent that at 18 years has slotted in seamlessly with their peers in Europe they we have in the last 18 months.

The DA system is in its infancy but it's working and there's tangible evidence. I don't believe directly sourcing footballing education from Manchester City or anyone else is the way to go. We're much better off long term experiencing the growing pains of developing our own infrastructure and continuing to strive for American academies that produce better and better players and that are self sufficient.

Last edited:
northoaklandfc northoaklandfc is basically telling y'all to trust the process.

I have to agree with him on that. The international football powers have been doing this for over 100 years. The U.S. starting getting serious about talent development about 20 years ago, these things take time.

expecting change on a national scale in an international landscape in a short period of time is such an american thing 
laugh.gif

The academy system in the US is trash too.

Pay top lay? c'mon...

Literally ruling out a good portion of the talent pool that can't afford to pay the fees plus traveling expenses :smh:

That's one of my biggest gripes about the footy system here in the states. It's very lily white & only the well off can afford to participate in the higher levels of youth footy. Young black & latino kids don't have access to the same avenues as those well to do families & most of them wouldn't welcomed either.

gulati should've opened academies in inner cities pro bono so they could grow the base of players the US has. I think minority kids specifically black kids would flock to footy. I've seen it happen with lacrosse here in Bmore.

Last edited:
The fact of the matter is that footy is still a "niche" sport in this country.

I don't care how many Americans play FIFA, that's a video game. Most of those people don't follow the sport regularly.

To be fair, FIFA sparked an interest for those who did not watch soccer regularly and I'm living proof. I started playing FIFA 13, got interested into watching the sport and three years later I watch Prem and La Liga footy reguarly while I 'm still learning stuff I didnt know about the sport through youtube and this thread.

Without writing an essay the US issue is segmentation. It matters a lot in soccer to keep playing with a good team. Football isn't a good comparison since we are the only country that really plays it. So who knows if our system of High School - College - Pros is the best for football. Its really the only system to look at.

For Basketball one great player can make a huge difference on a team more so then soccer. So a great player going to an average high school isn't that big of a deal. A great soccer player going to an average high school can kill him. The style of play completely changes, inept coaches / teammates. Then again in college more segmentation. The ability to stay with high level players and coaches mattera a lot more in soccer IMO then it does with say basketball or football.

Also completely agree on the money side of things. I stopped playing national level club ball because we couldn't afford it. Single mom working 2 jobs with siblings. HArd to pay for trips for regionals/nationals/tournamets and we also paid our youth coaches.

Sad that UA is getting pushed out at Tottenham. I hope they are able to lock up a big European team. Good brand and of course Baltimore pride

Last edited:
We have quite possibly the best sports farming system in the world though.

Little league to high school, high school to college, college to the pros.

It produces for every other sport but soccer in his country
Difference is those other sports little league n high school/college is legit tho ...high school, college n youth soccer sucks in the US, so it's it's probly best for the good promising players to stay away from them

Difference is those other sports little league n high school/college is legit tho ...high school, college n youth soccer sucks in the US, so it's it's probly best for the good promising players to stay away from them
I wish we adopted some elements from US sport systems over here. We don't have any real sport programs as part of education here in Belgium.

The only sports we ever played in school were in our physical education class. Schools don't have sport teams or anything like that.

Though in my last year of highschool (4 years ago) my school finally let us play football in the gym during lunch break. It was always just friendly matches between our part of the school vs. the guys from the local refugee center. Nothing official.

Even in college there's no real sports programs. My friends' college organized a football tournament a while back and only a few teams showed up. 
laugh.gif

They even managed to win the tournament and they only play casually.

That being said, our sports programs outside of education are pretty good. Even the small rural towns in the middle of nowhere like mine have their own football team. And there's various leagues they can compete in. The provincial league, national league and the unofficial "bar league" as we call it.

The latter is basically exactly what it sounds like. Bars from small towns putting together teams and then competing with other bars' teams in the area.

Standing out in those smaller leagues can eventually get you a position in the junior division of pro league clubs or the "honor division" for older and more experienced players. 

Last edited:
Without writing an essay the US issue is segmentation. It matters a lot in soccer to keep playing with a good team. Football isn't a good comparison since we are the only country that really plays it. So who knows if our system of High School - College - Pros is the best for football. Its really the only system to look at.

For Basketball one great player can make a huge difference on a team more so then soccer. So a great player going to an average high school isn't that big of a deal. A great soccer player going to an average high school can kill him. The style of play completely changes, inept coaches / teammates. Then again in college more segmentation. The ability to stay with high level players and coaches mattera a lot more in soccer IMO then it does with say basketball or football.

Also completely agree on the money side of things. I stopped playing national level club ball because we couldn't afford it. Single mom working 2 jobs with siblings. HArd to pay for trips for regionals/nationals/tournamets and we also paid our youth coaches.

Sad that UA is getting pushed out at Tottenham. I hope they are able to lock up a big European team. Good brand and of course Baltimore pride

UA did sign Southampton though. Their UA kits look asi asi.

The Sun (Bmore's) wrote a piece stating UA was going to vie to do the kits for Man City.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/busines...uitor-for-manchester-city-20161104-story.html

A fan even put together a mock up of what City UA kits would look like.

View media item 2252595
The one thing UA needs to pay mind to is to keep the collars straight forward. No emelishments. Just straight forward crew neck, v-neck, or polo style.

They did some goofy stuff with the Tottenham collars during the time they did their kits.

Last edited:
:lol: :smh:

Here in Bmore, they took away rec centers saying bigger & better ones were supposed to come but that never happened.

They took away public pools, parks, & basketball courts also. I think they even took away some play grounds (that were dilapidated). Fat chance of getting fustal cages.

City just doesn't have the infrastructure to do that.

It's a miracle they got lacrosse here but it's doing relatively well. The lily white programs they play don't like them though... They be getting their ***es handed to them & they don't like it.

They did build some new schools though... :rolleyes

I know this isn't footy, but a great feature on an HBCU school here in Bmore Morgan St & their lacrosse program in the 70s....

I think footy would florish in Bmore & other inner cities. You don't need to amount of equipment like other sports. US soccer is really missing a huuuuuge opportunity by not growing the sport in the inner cities.

Some clubs here in MD can cost upwards of $8k-$12k & that doesn't include travel to other states or countries for tournament play. I know a black kid, great player who got a scholarship to a big time program here in Bmore... He got plenty of playing time but the parents (white of course) who were paying top dollar were getting pissed that "this black kid" was getting more playing time. These "parents" weren't really friendly with the kid's parents either. After a year, they moved back to their former club, which is a great club, just not upper echelon like the one he was on.

They say institutional racism isn't in American footy, but I beg to differ.

Last edited:
2 nets and a ball, b.

Thats all it literally takes

For the same amount of money it takes t flood counties with football fields and basketball courts, they could drop a soccer field here and there. At least drop one next to wherever you put a football field.

Luckily for my son when he 3 turns next year I'm going to put him in soccer with the boys & girls club here. We have 2 football/soccer fields within a 10 minute walk from us each. But a lot of other kids aren't so lucky. Theres also a large latino/spanish demographic near where we live so its poppin'

Gotta get him in footy, baseball, and football though. Theres a batting cage not too far from us either.

Last edited:
:smh: What's with these Barca boys?!??! busi had his issues with calling Marcelo a monkey... Now alba is exhibiting xenophobic actions towards Madrid's Mateo Kovacic... Homeboy cursed at Kovacic during a set piece (poetic justice if it was the Ramos header) telling him to learn Spanish...

alba is a dummy... just a f***ing dummy... Not only does Kovacic speak Spanish well, he also speaks German, Italian, & English...

WTF is wrong with these Barca boys?!??!!!! :smh:

Absolute scumbags...

Last edited:
2 nets and a ball, b.

For the same amount of money it takes t flood counties with football fields and basketball courts, they could drop a soccer field here and there. At least drop one next to wherever you put a football field.

Luckily for my son when he 3 turns next year I'm going to put him in soccer with the boys & girls club here. We have 2 football/soccer fields within a 10 minute walk from us each. But a lot of other kids aren't so lucky. Theres also a large latino/spanish demographic near where we live so its poppin'

Gotta get him in footy, baseball, and football though. Theres a batting cage not too far from us either.

It's easy to say that, but in reality it's quite a bigger issue. I can only speak for Baltimore especially having done some hardcore volunteering for 13,14 years in the areas of afferschool programs, food programs for the homeless, & alcohol/drug treatment...

Money is bone dry for resources & there are other more urgent needs than providing fields & such for sports. As I stated, some of those resources have been taken away...

2 nets and a ball, b.

this helps imo... socal has soccer fields everywhere man. they just added a park with nothing but soccer fields, about 8 fields, 15 minute drive from the house too. i also played the beautiful sport through my adolescent life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom