This Footy Thread is Now Closed, New Thread Link on Last page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nike couldn't splash the cash for Arsenal but they gonna sign Tottenham? :smh:

MLS won, NASL should have merged with MLS when they had the chance

Easier said than done, but the U.S. needs to adopt a traditional tiered league system with relegation and promotion.

Easier said than done, but the U.S. needs to adopt a traditional tiered league system with relegation and promotion.

Ironically a weak and unstable 2nd division league like NASL folding actually brings us closer the possibility of something like that happened.

The USL is experiencing an explosion of growth and submitted it's application for D2 status with USSF before things began to look really dark for the NASL. Developing the infrastructure to sustain a stable 2nd division is what we need first and it's beginning to look like we could be on our way, although I think it will take us 20 years from now get to the point where we could realistically sustain pro/rel across multiple flights of the pyramid.

Of course once we get to the point that's it's feasible at the ogronization level, there's still the reality that a relatively short list of men have solely provided billions of dollars in capital to even get to this point and they exercise control. One could call them vain but from a business perspective you're just not going to find people putting up that kind of money with no concern for dilution.

Last edited:
US owners are waaaay to vain to consider a relegation based system...

Isn't it a bit ironic that a country that scoffs at the notion of "participation trophies" refuses to hold bad teams accountable for their ineptitude?

Isn't it a bit ironic that a country that scoffs at the notion of "participation trophies" refuses to hold bad teams accountable for their ineptitude?
I've also found it ironic that for such a capitalistic nation that praises winners and mocks losers and wants to let the market play its course rewards the worst team with the highest draft pick, and has salary caps.

It's insane to me that a developed country of 300 mil can't field a soccer team that's decent but countries like Iceland flourish in the Euro Cup

I've also found it ironic that for such a capitalistic nation that praises winners and mocks losers and wants to let the market play its course rewards the worst team with the highest draft pick, and has salary caps.

Well put, completely agree. Repped.

It's insane to me that a developed country of 300 mil can't field a soccer team that's decent but countries like Iceland flourish in the Euro Cup
china & India have a billion, that doesnt really matter, Iceland had a plan, organization, trained, and executed.

The USA doesn't seem to have that going on.

Last edited:
Can't ignore the fact that most kids in this country would rather go pro in at least three other sports than in footy...

Let's not be dramatic. Iceland had a magical moment this summer. I'd hardly make the general statement that Iceland flourishes at the Euros considering they'd never been there befothe prior.

It really shouldn't be insane thing to grasp, just because we're a developed nation doesn't mean we're a developed footballing nation. We're still relatively far removed from that.

Half of the American posters in this thread, particularly the younger posters, couldn't care less about soccer 15 years ago.

Last edited:
The fact of the matter is that footy is still a "niche" sport in this country.

I don't care how many Americans play FIFA, that's a video game. Most of those people don't follow the sport regularly.

Drafts in American sports are the biggest jokes of all time. Teams losing intentionally to get rewarded with star players should offend paying fans who want to see their team give it their all, but due to the way drafts work, they are completely fine with it. @#$@ all that. I refuse to spend a single penny on a team that loses intentionally regardless of what the reward is.

Last edited:
china & India have a billion, that doesnt really matter, Iceland had a plan, organization, trained, and executed.

The USA doesn't seem to have that going on.

It's completely worth noting that Iceland is a country the size of my home town.

Don't get me wrong, I'm well versed in what they've done structurally and the results it has produced are amazing.

There was a report on his summer that basically totalled the maximum size of the Icelandic player pool at 50,000 after you account for the women population, citizens to young, too old, or stationed on government jobs in remote areas.

That's incredible but it can't be overstated how much easier it is to run a federation from an organizational standpoint when you're dealing with 50,000 vs. tens of millions. To think that it's possible to do exactly what Iceland was able to do relative to its resources here in America is foolish.

Last edited:

I don't care how many Americans play FIFA, that's a video game. Most of those people don't follow the sport regularly.

Drafts in American sports are the biggest jokes of all time. Teams losing intentionally to get rewarded with star players should be offensive to paying fans who want to see their teams give it their all.
All of this. They reward you for fielding bad teams. Teams trading former ROY so that it doesn't affect their draft chances etc.

I can't bash FIFA.

I think FIFA has more than carried it's weight.

How many times have you seen someone say they got to soccer x years ago because of FIFA the video game?

I can't bash FIFA.

How many times have you seen someone say they got to soccer x years ago because of FIFA the video game?

I'm not bashing FIFA, I'm just saying that I believe its impact is a bit overstated.

I played NHL games all throughout my childhood because they were fun, I am not a regular follower of hockey by any stretch of the imagination though...

Last edited:

I can't bash FIFA.

I'm not bashing FIFA, I'm just saying that I believe its impact is a bit overstated.

I played NHL games all throughout my childhood because they were fun, I am not a regular follower of hockey by any stretch of the imagination though...

I feel you, I'm not trying to overstate FIFA's impact either. It can merely be a gateway into the sport. Anything attracting more new fans is a good thing.

I could see the NBA going away from the draft one day, the NFL no chance

In any other job on Earth, you get punished for your mediocrity and failures. Here, billionaire owners get rewarded with draft picks to keep their seats full. People say it creates parity, but to me, it just allows terrible owners (like the 49ers :x) to take advantage of real fans while fattening their own pockets. Why would they care about winning when casual fans will show up next year to watch (insert hyped college player here) regardless?

I'm not going to lie, as a Warriors fan, I know that my team has benefited greatly from drafts over the past 6 years :lol: Doesn't mean I like the concept of it as a whole though.

Last edited:
We have quite possibly the best sports farming system in the world though.

Little league to high school, high school to college, college to the pros.

It produces for every other sport but soccer in his country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom