This Footy Thread is Now Closed, New Thread Link on Last page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you share some of this evidence? I know it's partly due to MLS but there are less players playing abroad than in years past.

I'm not sure where you got that from but that's false. Maybe you meant first team professional playing abroad but that would also be false.

There are significantly more Americans signed to European academies than there have ever been, and that number is growing exponentially year to year.

I've followed American youth player movement as a hobby for a looooooooong time. The numbers have been increasing for a while now, just in the last few years it's gotten to the point where it's difficult just keeping up.

Off the top of my head, here are a handful MLS and DA Academy produced players who've singed with European academies or professional teams ranging from just this this past summer to 18 months ago.

Weston McKennie/FCD Dallas - FC Schalke 04 U19
Haji Wright/LA Galaxy (signed Pro w/ NY Cosmos interim) - FC Schalke 04 U19
Brooks Lennon/Salt Lake - Liverpool U23
Matt Olosunde/New York Red Bulls - Manchester United U23
Eric Palmer-Brown/Sporting KC - Porto B
Matt Miazga/New York Red Bulls - Chelsea -> Vitesse

Mukwale Akale - Villarreal C/B
Emanuel Sabbi - Las Palmas (La Liga) U19
Joshua Perez - Fiorentina II
Joel Sonora - Stuggart VfB U19
Luca De la Torre - Fulham U23
McKenzie Gaines - VFL Wolfsburg
Will Pulisic - Dortmund U19

These are all academies in the Premeir League, Bundesliga, La Liga, Portuguese or Serie A systems. I can only name these players off top because they're balling at their respective levels on a week-to-week basis and are basically documented top talents at their clubs. There are numerous other players who've moved in the past year who aren't top prospects at their clubs or who are at lesser known academies who I don't know of.

The numbers above alone would have been unheard of 2-3 years ago. This is the MLS and the DA academy system (which is still in its infancy) at work but again, some people won't know to acknowledge it.

Last edited:
Artist: So what do you want this session, Leo?

Messi: Just **** me up, fam

Last edited:
I'm not sure where you got that from but that's false. Maybe you meant first team professional playing abroad but that would also be false.

There are significantly more Americans signed to European academies than there have ever been, and that number is growing exponentially year to year.

I've followed American youth player movement as a hobby for a looooooooong time. The numbers have been increasing for a while now, just in the last few years it's gotten to the point where it's difficult just keeping up.

Off the top of my head, here are a handful MLS and DA Academy produced players who've singed with European academies or professional teams ranging from just this this past summer to 18 months ago.

Weston McKennie/FCD Dallas - FC Schalke 04 U19
Haji Wright/LA Galaxy (signed Pro w/ NY Cosmos interim) - FC Schalke 04 U19
Brooks Lennon/Salt Lake - Liverpool U23
Matt Olosunde/New York Red Bulls - Manchester United U23
Eric Palmer-Brown/Sporting KC - Porto B
Matt Miazga/New York Red Bulls - Chelsea -> Vitesse

Mukwale Akale - Villarreal C/B
Emanuel Sabbi - Las Palmas (La Liga) U19
Joshua Perez - Fiorentina II
Joel Sonora - Stuggart VfB U19
Luca De la Torre - Fulham U23
McKenzie Gaines - VFL Wolfsburg
Will Pulisic - Dortmund U19

These are all academies in the Premeir League, Bundesliga, La Liga, Portuguese or Serie A systems. I can only name these players off top because they're balling at their respective levels on a week-to-week basis and are basically documented top talents at their clubs. There are numerous other players who've moved in the past year who aren't top prospects at their clubs or who are at lesser known academies who I don't know of.

The numbers above alone would have been unheard of 2-3 years ago. This is the MLS and the DA academy system (which is still in its infancy) at work but again, some people won't know to acknowledge it.

I've been watching soccer since '89-'90. I've been following Americans broad for a loooong time to. The numbers are level or a little below if you include academy players. I"ll try finding the pieces I've read over the years but I don't bookmark pages with the hopes of trying to win future arguments. You've only given anecdotal evidence.

I did have this one, from the NYTimes that said -

...has concerned the dwindling number of Americans playing abroad.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/07/s...n-soccer-players-in-europe-bucks-a-trend.html

This one talks specifically about the premier league.

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/espn-fc-u...r-league----why-have-numbers-dropped-recently

Edit - I will say Bundesliga has been more welcoming to American players than any other leagues (specifically in youth academies...

Last edited:
wtf is up with Messi.

It's ironic that dude is listed there as having the most jersey sales, yet his change in appearance is like a teenager having an identity crisis crying out for attention.

It's like a coping mechanism to play the role of the rebel when he takes Ls with Argentina and gets blasted by his own people

Last edited:
Yup. When it comes to football I am never wrong.

It was Coutinho's cross to Mane btw. Lallana's cross to Emre Can. Both were insane.
you're making me want to root against liverpool smh...

you are almost as bad as all the man united fans put together

I expect Liverpool to open up some daylight between them and 2nd place over the next 6 weeks or so. 7 very winnable matches in a row and then Man City at home, who have only won at Anfield once in 40 odd years and that was back in 2003 (2 late Anelka goals at the Kop End).

I'm not bias, Liverpool are simply the best team. They've been the best all season long people are in denial. I think they'll hit 90+ points.

Here we go..

Relax man.

Speaking of Messi...

Wtf
eek.gif
sick.gif
"I'm not out of control. I'm just nothing they can control" 
laugh.gif

Let Messi flourish.

I like when players show some personality, some individualism. Dude looks good with the tatts and beard (pause). Obviously not effecting his play. Flourish my dude.

I hate to bring politics to the thread but Kompany has always been a real one and seeing this reminded me of  how proud I am that this man has captained Manchester City for so long.

@Colombia  I would ask how things are in Belgium but like I said last night in the political thread I made up my mind that i'm not going anywhere. My ancestors blood built this country and i'm not gonna let anyone or any president run me out of it.

Or Godin...

@utdreport: Antoine Griezmann: "I always ask Paul Pogba about #mufc. I think they are a huge club with a really good infrastructure." [sky germany]

Griezmann: "I ask Paul about some of the players, and if they're really that good, or if Jose Mourinho is really that good." [sky]

View media item 2225169

Last edited:
i would be sick if that happen. My second favorite frenchman, i prayed the summer he was leaving sociedad for arsenal to grab him, i mostly watch and root for atletico because of young griezzy :smh: he said before that he wore long sleeves and the number 7 because of beckham :smh: when i first read that, i had a bad feeling he would have such thoughts

Last edited:
Man if Griezmann came to Arsenal from Real Sociedad and Aubamayeng came from St. Etienne that would have been an amazing squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom