This Footy Thread is Now Closed, New Thread Link on Last page

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol:

Jose said Smalling pulled out of the Swansea game because his foot was hurting & then posted a pic on IG showing he went for a country walk. Of course he promptly got roasted...

Kroos has arguably been Real's most important player in the campaign so far. I was also concerned Zizou never rested him. Hopefully Croatia doesn't overplay Modric and they prioritize his recovery.

This could be a definitive spell for Real. I know it's still early but from a psychological perspective, those massive 3 points Barca picked up at Sevilla can be even more valuable. Real loses at the Vicente Calderon next week, and Barca wins, the La Liga standings will look all too unpleasantly familiar.

Last edited:
Smalling, Shaw, Martial, MEMPH, and any other pansy playing for United can ****. I want cats that would die on the pitch b. Pogba may not be playing his best but at least I know he brings it 100% of the time.

*Inserts Mike Singletary 'I Want Winners' rant*

Last edited:
Kroos has arguably been Real's most important player in the campaign so far. I was also concerned Zizou never rested him. Hopefully Croatia doesn't overplay Modric and they prioritize his recovery.

This could be a definitive spell for Real. I know it's still early but from a psychological perspective, those massive 3 points Barca picked up at Sevilla can be even more valuable. Real loses at the Vicente Calderon next week, and Barca wins, the La Liga standings will look all too unpleasantly familiar.
madrid derby is going to be LIT

Last edited:
"Giovinco is a different story. I have done everything to help him but the reality is that he plays in a league that doesn't count for much," Ventura said. "And the number of goals he scores is less important because with the quality he has got, he is bound to make a difference in that league.

"The problem is that if you play in that type of league, and you get used to playing in that type of league, it becomes a problem of mentality."
I mean in an archaic, ignorant kind of way I can agree with Venture through his lenses, sure.

and to be fair just kinda looking at him and the era he's from, archaic and ignorant is probably apt

How much is cristiano worth ? Gotta be at least 300 million? Dudes gonna make another 300 in the next 10 years :x .. Then after he retires who knows

Sucks Handanovic is the backup for Oblak in Slovenia. Two great GKs over there.

I mean in an archaic, ignorant kind of way I can agree with Venture through his lenses, sure.

and to be fair just kinda looking at him and the era he's from, archaic and ignorant is probably apt

Look rck, you my man 100 grand & I know you ride or die with US footy but the quality of play in the MLS is still very bad. I made a conscious effort in paying attention to the league more within the last 5 years & I can honestly say the play hasn't improved in the time I've watched a lot more. It hasn't gotten worse or anything but I don't see a year to year improvement. That's not archaic or ignorant, how MLS is seen is reality. :rolleyes

In all the MLS matches I've watched, there was maybe one person who knew how to pass the ball to his own teammates consistently, and that player is usually someone who has played overseas. I'm not asking MLS teams to be like Pep Guardiola teams, but the lack of maintaining BASIC possession is so damn irritating to watch.

I went to Orlando vs SJ Earthquakes last year (or was it the year before? can't remember) and Kaka was the only player out of the 22 players on the pitch who didn't keep passing to the other team. Not even an exaggeration; it was the worst professional game I've ever watched. Even when I catch "big" matches on TV when Galaxy, Red Bulls, NYFC, etc. play, every pass looks like it has a 50% chance of going to a player on the other team.

Last edited:
yeah mls is really bad. 

i watched a nycfc match so i could see my man pirlo flourish but he was just constantly pissed off at his defense ...the LB in particular

because they would just hoof the ball upfield at any chance they could get instead of making a simple pass to pirlo so they could transition to offense 
laugh.gif

it was literally a 5-7 yard pass that pirlo was begging for. he dropped very deep just to move the ball around but at any sniff of pressure they panicked 

it was brutal to watch.

i felt so bad for pirlo...like he went from the champs league final to playing in this terrible league

Youth development is the key to growth of the technical abilities of our youth & MLS players (or the lack there of).

There are too many fathers coaching in youth footy here in the states that have never played the game that are coaching kids at the critical juncture in age that North Oak & I argued about in the past. There needs to be a comprehensive training & accreditation program for coaches that needs to be mandatory before anyone coaches youth footy just like the badge earning that takes place in Europe (via UEFA coaching badges/licenses).

One of the big reasons Liga MX washes MLS teams (aside from the money), is the youth set up. Liga MX teams do a fantastic job with not only their youth set up but integrating young players in their first teams & getting exposure to play nationally at young ages. They're able to produce great young players continually.

MLS can close the financial gap by producing capable academy players.

It's frustrating because it's obvious people don't have a feel for where we've come from in regards to American youth development, or where we're at right now presently. People talk about American youth development with no regard for context or present day reality.

Same is true to an extent when it comes to MLS.

The American perception of the league is shaped by the domestic leagues they know well, which is primarily the EPL, La Liga and Bundesliga i.e. the greatest leagues in the world. MLS isn't that.

Liga MX is also well known, but its underrated and also one of the best leagues in the world. Again, MLS isn't that, not yet.

I shake my head when people's bias informs them that the quality of play is so much different than say the lower to upper mid Championship, or the 2 Bundesliga, which are much more honest comparisons.

Last edited:
I'm not comparing MLS play to any other leagues. I'm watching it for itself. I go to about 8-10 games a year (sometimes more - about 5-6 DC United home games & 3-4 Orlando FC home games) as well as watch games weekly from the start of the season to the championship game.

:lol: You take such umbrage whenever someone says something about American footy. Regardless of how or wht the other leagues do or don't do, MLS quality is still bad.

Last edited:
I get that I'm saying people evaluate the play in MLS on a scale that includes the top leagues in the world and then trash it for not being the best.

Really it makes more sense to evaluate MLS quality of play on a scale adjusted to fit it, and other comparable leagues like the Swiss Super League, the Danish Superliga, the Swedish Allsvenskan.

If someone feels their standard is set at Europe's top 3 leagues, then fair play, but more often than not when we stop and break down context, some views on MLS are slanted.

Last edited:
Again, I'm not comparing the league to any other. I didn't even mention a comparison, just that the coaching standards in youth needed to be improved in order to see more technical players.

I didn't say you made a comparison. I'm talking general perception the league and its quality of play and how that perception is influenced by what people are accustomed to.

Coaching standards and competency have improved dramatically and we are seeing more technical players. It's night and day.

There's so much evidence too, I don't know how people don't see it but again, I guess people think that 10 years ago it was normal for American's to leave the country at 18 and successfully matriculate into European academy's at the U19 level.

Last edited:
Could you share some of this evidence? I know it's partly due to MLS but there are less players playing abroad than in years past.

Last edited:
[h3]Top 12 Clubs With The Highest Shirt Sales & Top Player[/h3]
1. Manchester United  (approx. 2,850,000) – Paul Pogba
2. Real Madrid  (approx. 2,290,000) – Cristiano Ronaldo
3. Barcelona  (approx. 1,980,000) – Lionel Messi
4. Chelsea  (approx. 1,650,000) – Eden Hazard
5. Bayern Munich  (approx. 1,500,000) – Robert Lewandowski
6. Arsenal  (approx. 1,125,000) – Mesut Özil
7. Juventus  (approx. 850,000) – Gonzalo Higuaín
8. Liverpool  (approx. 805,000) Philippe Coutinho
9. PSG  (approx. 685,000) – Ángel Di María
10. AC Milan  (approx. 650,000) – Keisuke Honda
11. Atletico Madrid  (approx. 500,000) – Antoine Griezmann
12. Leicester City  (approx. 350,000) – Jamie Vardy
[h3]Top 10 Players With The Highest Shirt Sales[/h3]
1. Lionel Messi  – Barcelona #10
2. Cristiano Ronaldo  – Real Madrid #7
3. Paul Pogba  – Manchester United #6
4. Zlatan Ibrahimović  – Manchester United #9
5. Mesut Özil  – Arsenal #11
6. Neymar Jr.  – Barcelona #11
7. David De Gea  – Manchester United #1
8. Philippe Coutinho  – Liverpool #10
9. Alexis Sánchez  – Arsenal #17
10. Sergio Agüero  – Machester City #10

messi wins again. goat.

and adidas with the 4 out of the top 5 clubs. 
nerd.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom