This Country Hasn't Changed One Bit

Originally Posted by OGbobbyjohnson773

Originally Posted by HueyP in LouieV

Whites invented race....don't get ethered...AGAIN.

Explain this please.

Race was in a sense invented by Whites

Before there was white there was nationalism. Italian v German, Spanish V Ottomans Ect.....

Than in America there were Poor whites Vs. Elite

When Slaves came it was White Vs All

How do you get millions of Southern Confederates to fight for slavery, when they don't have slaves themselves?

Invent Race

Explain this please.

There was no such thing as a racial classifiation system up until about 350 years ago.

The concept of race is only about 400 years old. It was developed during the 17th century as a tool of European global conquest.

Africans...were never "blacks" or "africoid" before European invasion....the concept of race is purely European and purely BS.
preach.jpg

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

WRONG

Race is a human invention....

WRONG...RACE IS A EUROPEAN INVENTION.

The word "race", along with many of the ideas now associated with the term, were products of European imperialism and colonization during theage of exploration. (Smedley 1999) As Europeans encountered people from different parts of the world, they speculated about the physical, social, and culturaldifferences among various human groups. The rise of the Atlantic slave trade, which gradually displaced an earlier trade in slaves from throughout the world,created a further incentive to categorize human groups in order to justify the subordination of African slaves. (Meltzer 1993) Drawing on Classical sources andupon their own internal interactions - for example, the hostility between the English and Irish was a powerful influence on early thinking about thedifferences between people (Takaki 1993) - Europeans began to sort themselves and others into groups associated with physical appearance and with deeplyingrained behaviors and capacities. A set of folk beliefs took hold that linked inherited physical differences between groups to inherited intellectual,behavioral, and moral qualities. (Banton 1977) Although similar ideas can be found in other cultures (Lewis 1990; Dikötter 1992), they appear not to have hadas much influence upon their social structures as was found in Europe and the parts of the world colonized by Europeans. However, often brutal conflictsbetween ethnic groups have existed throughout history and across the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(classification_of_human_beings)http://en.wikipedia.org/w...fication_of_human_beings)

See what I mean about revisionist history and running away from guilt....

WRONG

The word "race", along with many of the ideas now associated with the term, were products of European imperialism and colonization during the age of exploration. (Smedley 1999) As Europeans encountered people from different parts of the world, they speculated about the physical, social, and cultural differences among various human groups. The rise of the Atlantic slave trade, which gradually displaced an earlier trade in slaves from throughout the world, created a further incentive to categorize human groups in order to justify the subordination of African slaves. (Meltzer 1993) Drawing on Classical sources and upon their own internal interactions - for example, the hostility between the English and Irish was a powerful influence on early thinking about the differences between people (Takaki 1993) - Europeans began to sort themselves and others into groups associated with physical appearance and with deeply ingrained behaviors and capacities. A set of folk beliefs took hold that linked inherited physical differences between groups to inherited intellectual, behavioral, and moral qualities. (Banton 1977) Although similar ideas can be found in other cultures (Lewis 1990; Dikötter 1992), they appear not to have had as much influence upon their social structures as was found in Europe and the parts of the world colonized by Europeans. However, often brutal conflicts between ethnic groups have existed throughout history and across the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(classification_of_human_beings)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(classification_of_human_beings)http://en.wikipedia.org/w...fication_of_human_beings)

"Although similar ideas can be found in other cultures (Lewis 1990; Dikötter 1992), they appear not to have had as much influence upon their socialstructures as was found in Europe and the parts of the world colonized by Europeans. However, often brutal conflicts between ethnic groups have existedthroughout history and across the world"

And regardless, what are you getting at? A white person looking at a black person 300+ years ago wouldn't believe that they were almost genetically (Ihesitate to use that word since they wouldn't have any knowledge of the concept then) identical, regardless of whatever the perceived notions of"race" were at the time.

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Originally Posted by Cyprus Sinner II

Mindsets like yours are the ones that keep racism around.
So what, it's supposed to be ignored and swept under the rug. Act like nothing is wrong.

indifferent.gif

That's the dumbest crap I've read in a long time.
your original post is the dumbest thing ive read in a long time
how have you been affected by racism? stop reaching

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Explain this please.

Race was in a sense invented by Whites

Before there was white there was nationalism. Italian v German, Spanish V Ottomans Ect.....

Than in America there were Poor whites Vs. Elite

When Slaves came it was White Vs All

How do you get millions of Southern Confederates to fight for slavery, when they don't have slaves themselves?

Invent Race

Thread

Native Americans welcomed whites....
Africans welcomed whites....
Native Australians welcomed whites....
Asians welcomed whites.....

How did that turn out for those groups?

And how are they equally racist..when they never identifiedi with the concept of race.

Playing the blame game is pointless....but cut out the revisionist history.
indifferent.gif

Okay, first of all....

Every group you have stated, devised its own divisions long before whites showed up.

Race is simply a CONCEPT that HUMANS created to categorize perceived biological, social and cultural differences between human groups.

NO IT IS NOT.

Find 1 reference to any system of racial classification.....anywhere in the world....at any time in history prior to the European prior to Europeanconquest.

{Kat William} Don't worry i'll wait... {Kat Williams}

Race is and all of the problems that come with it are exclusively European.

Like I said its not about placing blame, rather being historically accurate and truthful.

For any discussion to foster progress...the basis of the debate must be based in fact...."White" Europeans created the concept of race...thats thestarting point. If you don't accept that fact...you are choosing to be ignorant and support the system of White Supremacy and racism.

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

WRONG

The word "race", along with many of the ideas now associated with the term, were products of European imperialism and colonization during the age of exploration. (Smedley 1999) As Europeans encountered people from different parts of the world, they speculated about the physical, social, and cultural differences among various human groups. The rise of the Atlantic slave trade, which gradually displaced an earlier trade in slaves from throughout the world, created a further incentive to categorize human groups in order to justify the subordination of African slaves. (Meltzer 1993) Drawing on Classical sources and upon their own internal interactions - for example, the hostility between the English and Irish was a powerful influence on early thinking about the differences between people (Takaki 1993) - Europeans began to sort themselves and others into groups associated with physical appearance and with deeply ingrained behaviors and capacities. A set of folk beliefs took hold that linked inherited physical differences between groups to inherited intellectual, behavioral, and moral qualities. (Banton 1977) Although similar ideas can be found in other cultures (Lewis 1990; Dikötter 1992), they appear not to have had as much influence upon their social structures as was found in Europe and the parts of the world colonized by Europeans. However, often brutal conflicts between ethnic groups have existed throughout history and across the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(classification_of_human_beings)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(classification_of_human_beings)http://en.wikipedia.org/w...fication_of_human_beings)http://en.wikipedia.org/w...fication_of_human_beings)

"Although similar ideas can be found in other cultures (Lewis 1990; Dikötter 1992), they appear not to have had as much influence upon their social structures as was found in Europe and the parts of the world colonized by Europeans. However, often brutal conflicts between ethnic groups have existed throughout history and across the world"
My point exactly...

Perhaps it was white europeans that created the term "race"...

But the idea of race was always there, its human nature to create divisions.

At the end of the day we all approach this issue from vastly different perspectives. All the arguing and discussion in the world won't change that.

Originally Posted by JD617

Running away from guilt? So white people today are supposed to feel guilty about what white people did 400 years ago till today?
yea because things haven't changed....

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

WRONG

http://en.wikipedia.org/w...fication_of_human_beings)http://en.wikipedia.org/w...fication_of_human_beings)

"Although similar ideas can be found in other cultures (Lewis 1990; Dikötter 1992), they appear not to have had as much influence upon their social structures as was found in Europe and the parts of the world colonized by Europeans. However, often brutal conflicts between ethnic groups have existed throughout history and across the world"
My point exactly...

Perhaps it was white europeans that created the term "race"...

But the idea of race was always there, its human nature to create divisions.

OF COURSE CONFLICT EXISED BEFORE RACIAL CLASSIFICATION..BUT NEVER WAS THER CONFLICT ON THE BASIS OF RACE....BECAUSE THERE WAS NO SUCHTHING AS RACE!

I love how you guys run from facts and reality and then want to argue the prevalence of racism in the world.
smh.gif

Humans will automatically observe differences amongst each other....BUT THERE WAS NEVER A STRATIFIED GLOBAL CASTE SYSTEM OF RACIALCLASSIFICATION PRIOR TO EUROPEAN IMPERIALISM....THAT IS A FACT.

HUMANS ENGAGED IN CONFLICT OVER TERRITORY AND RESOURCES...NEVER RACE.

ACCEPT THAT FACT. RACISM LIES ENTIRELY AT THE FEET OF THE EUROPEAN.

And how are they equally racist..when they never identifiedi with the concept of race.

indifferent.gif

Okay, first of all....

Every group you have stated, devised its own divisions long before whites showed up.

Race is simply a CONCEPT that HUMANS created to categorize perceived biological, social and cultural differences between human groups.

NO IT IS NOT.

Find 1 reference to any system of racial classification.....anywhere in the world....at any time in history prior to the European prior to European conquest.

Like I said its not about placing blame, rather being historically accurate and truthful.

For any discussion to foster progress...the basis of the debate must be based in fact...."White" Europeans created the concept of race...thats the starting point. If you don't accept that fact...you are choosing to be ignorant and support the system of White Supremacy and racism.
Okay the Indian caste system.

Established well before British arrival.

I know what you're going to say...

"Well thats an example of social classification"...

My point is that humans were always looking for way to create divisions within our species.

Whether it be social or racial, its all relative.

I just want someone to admit it goes both was equally. black people give off just as much bad attitude as white people do. I said before I live in a blackneighborhood and have all black friends. My house wasnt brought up seein colors I guess you would call it. The only thing that makes me real mad is when ablack person acts like there just soooo friendly to every white person they see and white people just act terrible towards them. I get plenty of looks when Igo in black homes with my friends. It goes both ways bottom line and it needs to stop from both sides.

Originally Posted by WinstonDon

Running away from guilt? So white people today are supposed to feel guilty about what white people did 400 years ago till today?

Funniest thing about this idea is how incredibly flawed the logic is.

On the one hand, race doesn't exist. But on the other, a certain group of people should feel guilty about what another group of people did 400 years ago,even though the only connection between them happens to be race, which, as was discussed earlier, is a fabrication.

Hmmm....I'll pass on that champ.

My point is that humans were always looking for way to find divisions within our species.

QFT

Oh ok thank you I though you were talking about something else. Like the guilt of upholding or benefiting from white superiority ideologies.

So not only have things not changed in the last 40 years, they haven't changed over the last 400. That's what you're saying.
things have changed...i'm not dumb....its just funny how yall act like people should be satisfied w/ how things are today....so ima let youkeep playing stupid

indifferent.gif

Okay, first of all....

NO IT IS NOT.

Find 1 reference to any system of racial classification.....anywhere in the world....at any time in history prior to the European prior to European conquest.

For any discussion to foster progress...the basis of the debate must be based in fact...."White" Europeans created the concept of race...thats the starting point. If you don't accept that fact...you are choosing to be ignorant and support the system of White Supremacy and racism.

My point is that humans were always looking for way to find divisions within our species.

This thread is about racism.

There was no such thing as race before it was invented in Europe. How hard is that to understand? People traveled prior to airplanes and boats....butdidn't the very premise of travel change with the invention of those tools?

Its great to stand apart from a discussion and throw stones...but when you actually have to absorb blame...the tables turn quickly.

Slavery and segregation still exist
eek.gif

Can you clarify for me why things have not changed again? I'm not calling you out I just want to know.

As a BLACK woman....I think we have come a LONG way....

lynching.jpg

obama_portland_blog_fw_20080518195907.jpg

however, we still have a LONG way to go and it needs to start within our own culture. stop
looking for someone else to blame. yes, slavery has had HUGE impact on us, but look at
those who have prevailed. We as a PEOPLE continously HATE on one another and it's
SAD. we use the N word like it's cool, but will be ready to fight someone else for using it.
it is all very stupid. our leaders were killed and now we have this man to look up to. Some
people don't respect Jesse Jackson (esp after his rant) and Al Sharpton because they feel
it's just for the cameras. Barack burst on scene (for me) 4 yrs ago and look where he is today.
our ancestors died for us to be able to sit in a room with other races and go to the same movie
theater or bathroom. Do you think our ancestors would EVER see this day? Do you realize the
Civial Rights movement ended only 40 years ago?! You're parents are probably 40+...Don't take
that *%$+ for granted. BE PROUD and GET INVOLVED....and most definitely GO VOTE!!

Back
Top Bottom