THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in case you missed what I actually said.

MidRange, not overall efficiency.

Use common sense. I said even if he was taking less shots from midrange in volume his percentage had to still be elite given his overall FG% was actually higher than those late Bulls years. Unless you're suggesting he's driving shooting all paint shots. Again there's hella games of MJ killing cats in 87 and 88 with shots.

But I wouldn't know cause you never answered that question when I asked you opinion based on what you've watched from that time period.

Use common sense. I said even if he was taking less shots from midrange in volume his percentage had to still be elite given his overall FG% was actually higher than those late Bulls years. Unless you're suggesting he's driving shooting all paint shots. Again there's hella games of MJ killing cats in 87 and 88 with shots.
You are grossly overestimating how many shots from midrange Jordan took during his athletic prime.

But since you are the one making the claim, set uo a Watch Along of a few games so we can do some small-sample tracking.

Set it up and we all can join

“What I’m being told, is that the NBA is coming back” - Austin Rivers on IG live last night

Well, yeah. I think we’re all in agreement the NBA is coming back...eventually. The real question is when.

Giannis, Kawhi, and Bron are the best players on 3 of the best teams in the league and they all attempt 20 shots a game. They average 30, 27, and 26 PPG respectively. I’m just not sure it’s realistic to assume Jordan would attempt 5 or more shots per game than those guys unless he was in a system/role like Harden.

its really this. I personally think 28-32 on Great efficiency is most realistic. Given Jordan’s efficiency from the midrange and him shooting a ton of them, even if you Give him 5 attempts per from deep, I just don’t see it.

even in a harden role he’d have to shoot like 20 3s a night lol and outside of MDA there’s no coach allowing their stars today to shoot that many times in 36mpg

But I wouldn't know cause you never answered that question when I asked you opinion based on what you've watched from that time period.
I am not giving an "opinion" on a quantitative matter. The most I have already said is I believe Jordan took significantly fewer shots from mid during his athletic prime than he did during his final days.

That is all I am allowed to say on that.

I won't pull numbers out of thin air for the hell of it.

He was at 51% from the field in 87 & 88 on 26 shots a game and averaging less than a 3 a game. Where would you say would be a fair distribution of his shot chart 50/50 on drives and mid range? 60/40?

Even if you lean more to the drives that's still 12-13 shots a game from midrange which is twice as many than almost all those guys from today take.
For the sake of fun, count up the 40 points in your ideal world. Using what you proposed here.

13 FGA from midrange. (How many are made?)

Go from there.

Get to 40

Doug christie would get a pretty big bag now.
Doug was a dog :emoji_eyes:

img_1907.jpg

What exactly did I say that was false? I had basketball tournaments and Junior Olympics for track there growing up and stayed at their resorts plenty of times. There is no more perfect place for the NBA to finish up the season and be able to have everybody stay in one place including even some family. Disney owns ESPN and ABC who would be airing most of the games and they’d be happy to make some money off of it since they haven’t been making any money off their parks.

For the sake of fun, count up the 40 points in your ideal world. Using what you proposed here.

Go from there.

Get to 40
If he shoots 50% that’s 13 points. Let’s say he attempts 10 FTs a game and makes 9. That’s 22 points. He’d make a couple 3s per game like Kawhi (lets say on 5 attempts so 40%), that’s 28 points. Would need 6 more baskets inside the paint. If he shot 60% in the paint, that would require 10 attempts.

13 mid range + 10 paint + 5 3 pointers is 28 shots. Nobody is shooting that much on a nightly basis.

You are grossly overestimating how many shots from midrange Jordan took during his athletic prime.

But since you are the one making the claim, set uo a Watch Along of a few games so we can do some small-sample tracking.

Set it up and we all can join

Hella jumpers in ALL these videos.

Go from there.

Get to 40

Let's use the 87 season as a reference.

28 shots a game 27 from 2 point range

13 FGA at around 50% (midrange) gives you 13 ppg
14 FGA at around 65% (paint) gives you 18 ppg (used 65% cause even in 98 he was at 62% at the basket so that's probably a underestimate)
He averaged 12 FTAs at and made 10 a game so that's 10 points (Harden gets about that many calls today) .

13+18+10 = 41 ppg with no 3s

14 FGA at around 65% (paint) gives you 18 ppg (used 65% cause even in 98 he was at 62% at the basket so that's probably a underestimate)
He averaged 12 FTAs at and made 10 a game so that's 10 points (Harden gets about that many calls today) .

65% in the PAINT?

Or at the Rim?

Just being clear here.

He only took 27 FGAs in a season once in his career though. Ironically the only season he shot under 50% for a whole season (48 is great though)

Like P C H P C H said, if he had the usage like the stars on the best teams in the league do today, he’d probably be around an efficient 30-32 points with awesome defense and would be the best player in the league.

He would not be putting up a ridiculous 28 shots per game.

Just to be clear, you think this is a realistic outcome for an 82 game season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom