THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are plenty of games I can watch, correct But that isn't an entire season's worth of games I can watch. Which would be the only true way to conduct accurate calculations.

But again, you are attempting to create a version of Jordan that didn't exist.

Just know that.

I'm not. MJ took a lotta jumpers in his athletic prime. There's video evidence.

I'm not. MJ took a lotta jumpers in his athletic prime. There's video evidence.
Michael Jordan took jumpers in his athletic prime.

In comparison to his 97-98 Run, he didn't take a lot of jumpers in his athletic prime. (WHich is the volume you are using to consider in your 40+ PPG argument.)

Keep up with your own argument please.

My issue with the 40+ PPG conversation, is the CONFIDENCE in which people that side with 40+ PPG speak with.

That is my SAME issue with people saying the Bulls would have won 4/5/6/7/8 Titles in a row had Jordan not retired the first time.

It is cool to hypotheticalize, but drop down that confidence in something that is impossible to prove. (That goes to both sides of the debate but more so to the, "Yea he could" crowd)

Mike putting up about 38-39 ppg today...Only if he had the usage of his ‘87 season, and no discretion.

Cause his minutes would be down to 36...and the pace would be a lil slower.

Realistically, I could see him averaging 35ppg on 50% FG 35% 3FG (8 attempts) and getting to the line about 9 times per game in about 36 mpg on a modern offense with lead guard usage.

That’s still only a 1 of 1 type of performance. And it would lead to wins. The raw numbers would look like 06 Kobe....but the efficiency would be better and the mpg would be less.

Gotta take into account the open dunks and layups he would be getting. Mike was good off the ball also.

Michael Jordan took jumpers in his athletic prime.

In comparison to his 97-98 Run, he didn't take a lot of jumpers in his athletic prime. (WHich is the volume you are using to consider in your 40+ PPG argument.)

Keep up with your own argument please.

What are you talking about? The midrange was a part of the discussion and mostly was in regards to the comparison to today's usage or lack thereof which I was correct on. I already said MJ's bag in totality would give him the ability to average 40 along with playing at a faster pace and what I believe is less emphasis on guarding the midrange given the spacing on the floor.

Are we also talking about this within the construct of winning basketball? With other good players on his team that need touches? Or are we talking like him in Brad Beal’s spot this year?

Gotta take into account the open dunks and layups he would be getting. Mike was good off the ball also.

Yup. That’s why the efficiency would be outstanding. He just gets/got cleaner shots for a variety of reasons. Skill/athleticism/touch/instincts etc.

50/35/85 on that volume at near 35ppg in about 36 mpg is the kind of otherworldly**** Mike would do now.

It doesn’t look as crazy on the surface of raw numbers. But when you peel back...it would be some other ****.

What are you talking about? The midrange was a part of the discussion and mostly was in regards to the comparison to today's usage or lack thereof which I was correct on. I already said MJ's bag in totality would give him the ability to average 40 along with playing at a faster pace and what I believe is less emphasis on guarding the midrange given the spacing on the floor.
Let me break down what I am talking about because you aren't keeping up with the conversation.

Jordan's PEAK of efficiency/volume from Mid was 97-98.

However, You introduced, "Athletic Prime" into the conversation as a way to support the idea Jordan would average 45.

I am saying that Athletic Prime Jordan and Mid Range Prime Jordan, are NOT the same JOrdan.

Therefore, you aren't allowed to COMBINE those two versions of Jordan as a way to support your 45 PPG argument.

If your claim is, "He would kill from Midrange" as a way to allow him to get to 40 PPG, we aren't talking about Athletic Prime Jordan. We are talking about 97-98 Jordan.

So ANY talk about MidRange in this 45 PPG convo means we are talking about Semi-Old Man Jordan.

Are we also talking about this within the construct of winning basketball? With other good players on his team that need touches? Or are we talking like him in Brad Beal’s spot this year?

Winning basketball. I think 35ppg on elite is efficiency with a decent 3 volume/efficiency for Mike is doable. No?

Yup. That’s why the efficiency would be outstanding. He just gets/got cleaner shots for a variety of reasons. Skill/athleticism/touch/instincts etc.

50/35/85 on that volume at near 35ppg in about 36 mpg is the kind of otherworldly**** Mike would do now.

It doesn’t look as crazy on the surface of raw numbers. But when you peel back...it would be some other ****.
Easily the best proposal of this conversation I have seen anywhere online.

This is why you are the Brunson League MVP.

One person accounting for well over 30% of a team's points scored for an entire season just isn't feasible.
The entire offense would have to be centered around them getting their numbers.

Winning basketball. I think 35ppg on elite is efficiency with a decent 3 volume/efficiency for Mike is doable. No?
Yeah I think that is doable. Harden’s Rockets were a top 4 seed with him at 36ppg on 25 shots a game. That’s the kind of situation it would take though. It would have to be THAT drastic of usage.

That's a good point and he avg 33 a game on a 55 win team before Scottie was Scottie. His Usage was 33.7 that year compared Harden's 40 last year and last few years Harden's usage been higher than that.

Let me break down what I am talking about because you aren't keeping up with the conversation.

Jordan's PEAK of efficiency/volume from Mid was 97-98.

However, You introduced, "Athletic Prime" into the conversation as a way to support the idea Jordan would average 45.

I am saying that Athletic Prime Jordan and Mid Range Prime Jordan, are NOT the same JOrdan.

Therefore, you aren't allowed to COMBINE those two versions of Jordan as a way to support your 45 PPG argument.

If your claim is, "He would kill from Midrange" as a way to allow him to get to 40 PPG, we aren't talking about Athletic Prime Jordan. We are talking about 97-98 Jordan.

So ANY talk about MidRange in this 45 PPG convo means we are talking about Semi-Old Man Jordan.

First off MJ's efficiency was worse in 97-98 than it was in 87-88 on less volume overall. We don't have the actual numbers from midrange for his athletic prime. Which is partly when you jumped your happy *** into the discussion I asked you your opinion which you didn't answer.

I'm saying athletic prime MJ who was unstoppable getting to the basket as well as being deadly even though taking slightly fewer mid range jumpers (although still considerably more than today's players) and getting to the free throw line at will would be able to average 40 ppg. Is that clear enough for you?

It'd probably be around 30, like every other superstar scorer.

Mike is not like every other superstar scorer though. There's a new scoring champ almost every other season. He's literally the GOAT. Led the league in scoring in 10 seasons. Thats insane by todays standards.

Still no advanced stat can calculate his scoring today without incorporating the defensive side of the ball.

I'm saying athletic prime MJ who was unstoppable getting to the basket as well as being deadly even though taking slightly fewer mid range jumpers (although still considerably more than today's players) and getting to the free throw line at will would be able to average 40 ppg. Is that clear enough for you?
You have anything to support the underlined part?

Giannis, Kawhi, and Bron are the best players on 3 of the best teams in the league and they all attempt 20 shots a game. They average 30, 27, and 26 PPG respectively. I’m just not sure it’s realistic to assume Jordan would attempt 5 or more shots per game than those guys unless he was in a system/role like Harden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom