THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t wait for people to realize Zion is the same damn size as he was last year at Duke when he was the most physically dominant college basketball player I’ve ever seen and lived up to all the hype he had coming in.

how much of the NBA's growth through Stern's tenure can just be attributed to the internet becoming what it is?
Some but not a lot. Things like the Dream Team imo helped more than anything. Allowed the NBA to expand to overseas markets which led to more international players coming over, basketball without borders etc

I can’t wait for people to realize Zion is the same damn size as he was last year at Duke when he was the most physically dominant college basketball player I’ve ever seen and lived up to all the hype he had coming in.
He’s not tho

how much of the NBA's growth through Stern's tenure can just be attributed to the internet becoming what it is?

Not that much. The Internet and Social Media only started to get real big toward the end of his tenure.

The things that he should get the most credit for is really putting the focus for marketing purposes on the league stars and pushing for the NBA to be popular worldwide and not just in the US. Those were initiatives he started way before the Internet was a thing. Yes, he had the good fortune of being Commissioner when Magic, Bird and Jordan were all in their primes, but was smart enough to recognize how valuable their star power was.

you do realize that since then, he has had knee surgery and is learning how to walk again

I think the dress code benefited the NBA. Was it wrong on ethics? Yeah probably. But it was a smart marketing move. And Stern’s legacy #1 is he was a marketing genius.

Open argument if you think Stern was on the player’s side trying to help them get $$ marketing to white America or you think he personally represented that part of America.

Dress code led to guys like Wade and Lebron getting personal stylists, which helped lead to NBA dominance of Instagram culture, which is fueling the league right now against all other sports. Love it or hate it...

But that's not why he put the dress code in. He put it in after the the Detroit situation. It was a reaction to the NBA being called a "thug league". It wasn't to get the players marketing money.

Fashion amongst young black men period was changing around 04-05. Button up shirts was becoming a trend, looking "grown up" was becoming a thing. Then dudes started wearing fitted clothes around 06-07. Dudes was switching their style regardless.

you do realize that since then, he has had knee surgery and is learning how to walk again

He’s not “learning how to walk again”........

They’re just working with him on changing his running and walking form to avoid injury in the future. This is not an uncommon thing.

What's the owners' consensus on Silver? Jw since he's soft as hell when it comes to players and they basically do whatever the hell they want.

What's the owners' consensus on Silver? Jw since he's soft as hell when it comes to players and they basically do whatever the hell they want.
Don't envy him being the bridge between today's outspoken, visible players and these new billionaire owners.

Dress code led to guys like Wade and Lebron getting personal stylists, which helped lead to NBA dominance of Instagram culture, which is fueling the league right now against all other sports. Love it or hate it...
Not really. Fashion in general just shifted within hip hop and black culture. Stern can’t be credited with that. It was a natural change of the times, and that same dress code is virtually nonexistent today.

Not really. Fashion in general just shifted within hip hop and black culture. Stern can’t be credited with that. It was a natural change of the times, and that same dress code is virtually nonexistent today.
I think the NBA influenced that general culture change. Not caused but influenced.

I think the NBA influenced that general culture change. Not caused but influenced.
Ehh, I really don’t agree with that. Especially pre-social media. Hip-hop was largely more influential than what DWade and LeBron were wearing. It always has been. The social media era has changed things a bit because the players are way more accessible and visible year round than before with IG.

I'll give the players more credit than I will Stern.

Cats like Mike, AI, Bron, etc have made the league what it is today.

They definitely were. But they also had external influences.
Ehh, I really don’t agree with that. Especially pre-social media. Hip-hop was largely more influential than what DWade and LeBron were wearing. It always has been. The social media era has changed things a bit because the players are way more accessible and visible year round than before with IG.
Absolutely. I’m not saying they invented that style or anything close. Just that they were evangelists of it to a lot of people especially the types that follow athletes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom