The Weeknd Thread ( "Hurry Up Tomorrow" Coming Soon)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • Thursday

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Dawn FM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It really doesn't matter what most ppl thought of KL upon its release, but you cannot say that "all of a sudden" crap cuz the consensus 'round these parts is that KL is flames.

But you called The Birds a pop song so....

Bruh folks werent feeling KL, but now it's being hailed as a masterpiece. This album will divide fans, but it'll grow.

Tour date / opening act info

Last edited:
I can't go back and forth about everyone else's initial response to KL, but like cragmatic cragmatic , I loved it from the start. I knew it was a Weeknd project, but it was so much more polished than anything before. It wasn't until a few weeks later, and probably combined with the live experience, that I realized it was the growth of an artist that I was hearing. I even warmed up to Live For, making it 0 skips on the album.

This is not growth.

This is ****.

I wonder if this was his HOB would he eventually endear us to his sound.

Last edited:
The comparisons to Kiss Land make no sense, as he wasn't intending to make a pop album with Kiss Land

People were slow to come around to Kiss Land because it was true growth and progression, it just took some time to realize it

In two weeks, BBTM will still be a pop album

So we can't compare albums from the same artist? Everyone who's been around to see The Weeknd's career flourish will make these connections; it's inevitable.

And as far as it being a standalone pop album, it's still pretty generic.

Last edited:
So we can't compare albums from the same artist? Everyone who's been around to see The Weeknd's career flourish will make these connections, it's inevitable.

And as far as it being a standalone pop album, it's still pretty generic.
I'm saying you can't compare the situations. Folks are saying "it took a while for folks to call KL a classic..." implying that we're going to do the same with BBTM

If folks do think this will be a classic, that's their opinion. I'm just saying he wasn't focused to make a pop album with KL, so this is a different situation

I also didn't say anything about him eventually going pop, or about it being inevitable. I'm not debating that

Last edited:
Ahh, gotcha. Agreed, the narrative of misunderstanding KL to loving it may not be reproduced with BBTM.

As a fan, I hope it does for me.

Soooooooooo was the ending of Angel a lil message to the OG fans?

I was thinking the same thing. I personally like the album. It's what I expected. I wasn't feeling Kissland but the stuff that he's put out between Drunk In Love (remix) and Can't Feel My Face was reeling me back in. In a few weeks we'll see how successful the album is globally and we'll get over his transition into pop and be happy for his success. I'm sure opinions will be swayed when we watch Big Quint's reaction vid to this album. For now here's another review I read that some of us might relate to:

http://www.djbooth.net/index/news/entry/2015-08-21-the-weeknd-beauty-behind-the-madness-album-review

be well y'all

Last edited:
Shameless would have been so hard with a better beat :smh:

This.

The comparisons to Kiss Land make no sense, as he wasn't intending to make a pop album with Kiss Land

People were slow to come around to Kiss Land because it was true growth and progression, it just took some time to realize it

In two weeks, BBTM will still be a pop album

This is exactly how I feel. When Kiss Land first dropped I was not feeling it at all. But it grew on me. One of my favorites now. I just don't see this album growing on me. He went a little too mainstream for my tastes.

Last edited:
Smh @ what this thread has turned into.

Anyway

That ginger leprechaun dude came through on dark times. Surprised me :smokin

The bright side is no matter how you feel about any of the stuff he's dropped, the mixtapes, KL, and now BBTM, everybody will have something to lean on. More than likely it'll be another two years until we get anything from dude again, as he's going to ride the wave with numerous joints off this album. That and probably dip his hand in acting, like he is when he's going to be on Empire. Whether you like KL or not, there wasn't really anything on there he could release and hang his hat on, single wise. Dude could drop ITN, or the Ed track, or the Lana track among others or all 3 after the hype from ICFMF dies out and dude will still be on the radio.

Dude should bless us with a mixtape, though. Just because. :pimp:

He thugged it out over the first 6 songs (real life, losers, tell your friends, often, the hills, acquainted) these are all "the I made it, I'm wit my n's, chicks getting ran thru songs"

The rest is the growth and reaching a new audience. He said it on the album "last year was politickin"

He got kanye to produce w/o a feature!

Can't feel my face, shameless, earned it, in the night, as you are, prisoner, dark times, angel are like the new weeknd

Its kinda like a story
he made it big (real life, losers)
met chick (tell your friends)
got it in (often,the hills),
got sprung (acquainted),
but then she kept going w the coke (can't feel my face)
he still love her and wants to help (shameless)
And he beat it up so she (earned it)
But this chick is caught up in the life (in the night)
He tries to accept it (as you are)
He ends ups feeling trapped hoping for the girl he loved (prisoner)
It gets bad and he thinks back on the first half of the album (dark times)
He still loves her but just hopes she finds love in the end (angel)

I think it is a concept album, the beauty behind the madness being who he fell in love with outside of the drugs/lifestyle "when its just me and you,.. even though you break my heart..."

I think this album is on par with anything else he put out, although new songs instead of previously released songs woulda been better

Still ain't skipping nothing

Last edited:
Repped for the analysis hand2handking hand2handking , I'm giving it spins all day and was aiming to make those connections. Yet still, there's something lacking through it all for me.

I'm pretty sure I'll be eating some of my words by the time the concert rolls around just because of how 'often' it'll have been played by then.

I loved Kiss land on the 1st listen.

I agree with pretty much what @Vincent Van Ho been saying about this album. Good album but not up to par compared to the others. Been shuffling through the weeknd's playlist through out the morning and while the new songs are good it just isn't as grimy as his previous work.

:lol: bland, forgettable project. Wow. Not surprised at all that Doc wanted no parts of this.

If this is his new sound, I'll treat him like Lil Wayne & bump his older projects & pretend that he died.

My first listen through, nothing really jumping out at me.

Acquainted, Shameless, Tell Your Friends, The Hills and surprisingly Dark Times are the standouts to me.

Not really feeling much else, the production on this album is definitely a step down and the songs are a lot more basic especially for him but I expected that.

Still excited to see him live, maybe some of the songs will grow on me but his music never had to grow on me.

Back
Top Bottom