The Weeknd Thread ( "Hurry Up Tomorrow" Coming Soon)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • Thursday

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Dawn FM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
KOTF starting to grow on me more
nthat.gif

The Weeknd hasn't come close to reaching his ceiling.

If he ever decided to truly go mainstream he'd be huge. Most regular chicks I know don't know who The Weeknd is.

Yeah, I think he's making his mainstream push now, so it'll be interesting to see how he's received after this upcoming album.

Well, for starters, I would hope that no one is still oblivious to the rift that came between weeknd and OVO for him deciding to make XO into a label with Republic instead of Signing to OVO / Warner. IMO, The Weeknd saw what OVO was about to do as far as being a label through Warner, and wanted to do the same with the XO imprint. The thing is, Drake, like every other business man in his position I think felt slighted. Drake completely turned Weeknd from a no name to arguably a superstar in one year. Released the entire 3 mixtapes essentially through OVO unofficially, and allowed Weeknd to shine on a grammy award winning album. Drake thought that would be more than enough to get Weeknd to sign to OVO but he didn't, which really rubbed drake the wrong way.

"You bit the hand now starve it's not a joke *****, I hang you with it after I teach you the ropes *****"

"Some nobodies started feeling themselves, a couple somebodies started killing themselves"

Hence the cold shoulder that OVO showed XO after Take Care from 2012 onward, only featuring him on their blog when Drake was on a record with Weeknd.

IMO that was one of the best things Weeknd could do as far as not signing to Drake and deciding to form his own imprint. He still struggles with being known as "Drake's artist" but it's not nearly as bad as it would have been had he signed to Drake. Plus none of his earnings are tied to Oliver and the rest of OVO and he gets to own and run his own Label.

Some of you dudes give way too much credit to Drake for Weeknd's success, just my .02. Whether I'm right or wrong, Weeknd's music speaks for its damn self. No co-sign necessary. Music speaks for itself.

"Drake let Weeknd shine on a Grammy award winning album". I mean, like.. srsly?
laugh.gif
There are a few things just so off about that statement. Drake definitely benefited from Weeknd's collabs and adopted his style for a moment or two. Nothing wrong with that but it happened. Further, Drake didn't let a damn thing happen, Weeknd happened, all over that album.

The whole beef is buried now so I don't see the point in continually bringing that up. Drake absolutely adores the Weeknd, like geeks out over him as much as he does for Wayne. It's blatant. Let them both live, man.

Weeknd made it on his own now, standing on his own two without any attachments to nobody. Going on tours around the world. The way he wanted it to be. He didn't want to be a PND.

Last edited:
Keep it 100 though. Weeknd benefited 100 times more being on take care than the other way around...

That being said. Weeknd still the GAWD tho. Need some new music though.

Anyone who is on a Drake project is immediately the beneficiary by a long shot in terms of exposure. That goes without saying.

The point is, Weeknd brand, sound and movement doesn't need anything or anyone to flourish. Would have flourished without Drake, without Take Care and without co-signs.

Drake benefited from working with the Weeknd in a different way on Take Care. I would say musically, Drake feeds off Weeknd much more than the other way around. The whole Weeknd vibe, Drake loves and attempts to capture for himself. It's quite apparent.

:lol: @ Drake making him into a superstar. Making it sound like Drake was his Dr. Dre or some ****. Of course he benefited from the co-sign but that's all it was. You don't put in work, get a co-sign from somebody and all of sudden they made you.

The whole beef is buried now so I don't see the point in continually bringing that up. Drake absolutely adores the Weeknd, like geeks out over him as much as he does for Wayne. It's blatant. Let them both live, man.

Pretty much. Seem like the only dudes that bring it up are the ones that wanna defend Drake's honor.

Folks were hating on the third verse hard on King of the Fall.. but it's quickly become my favorite on the track. Dude's confidence was in abundance
laugh.gif
and basically freestyled it with the God flow

Folks were hating on the third verse hard on King of the Fall.. but it's quickly become my favorite on the track. Dude's confidence was in abundance :lol: and basically freestyled it with the God flow

whole song grew on me like crazy :smokin :smokin

i dont know how people don't like it. maybe the flow is hard to get used to but the track is vicious from start to finish.

"cause the kid back KID BACK KID BACK
cop 10 whips for my _ when we land
queens street _ making money overseas
had a few more debts ima pay it all in cash"

I don't see it but anything's possible in music, in terms of "popularity". I can already make the statement that his music will never touch the Weeknd's, and I like PND. Of course it's all a matter of opinion

I initially wasn't really feeling KOTF but once I played the song while reading the lyrics I was just like "Whoa, flames!" My dude really finished the song repeating "I'll make all of them swallow" & still finessed it Lmaooo.

Back
Top Bottom